September 11 - Taryn

Go to CruxDreams.com
For early didst thou leave the world, with powers
Fresh, undiverted to the world without,
Firm to their mark, not spent on other things,
Free from the sick fatigue, the languid doubt,
Which much to have tried, in much been baffled, brings.

(from The Scholar-Gipsy Matthew Arnold, 1853)

Ok, it's now the morning of the 11th where I am.

So many years later, and the world is still vibrating to the tensions of that day.

So many new members who never new Taryn. She was a great loss to her family, to the world, and to the old Crux group. They say time heals, and it's true that I don't feel as bad now as I did for so many years on this date. All the more reason never to forget. Never to forget a wonderful young woman taken from us far to soon.

I was about 12 then but I remember seeing it and thinking ... just clear the area and get everyone out!

If it was after or on the that day ... I'm not really sure.

But it looked hopeless to me.

15 years ago I had the day off (I was 45) and turned on the TV. It was an old rear projection one that for some reason or another the picture came on before the sound. I got a cup of coffee and came back to see the almost silhouette of the smoking first tower. The sound came on and I learned a plane hit one of the towers. It wasn't long after the second tower was hit. The Fox commentator said she thought it was a small plane. I was (am) a bit of an aviation geek and know it way bigger than a small plane.
I can't forget the empty feeling and I watched the coverage far too many hours. The Tree house is in the flight path for flights heading west and southwest so in the morning there was a jet overhead every 2 minutes. The strangest sound I didn't hear was the silence of no planes overhead. The only ones that did come over were Missouri Air National Guard F-15s...

A day I would love to forget but will and could never...

15 years ago I had the day off (I was 45) and turned on the TV. It was an old rear projection one that for some reason or another the picture came on before the sound. I got a cup of coffee and came back to see the almost silhouette of the smoking first tower. The sound came on and I learned a plane hit one of the towers. It wasn't long after the second tower was hit. The Fox commentator said she thought it was a small plane. I was (am) a bit of an aviation geek and know it way bigger than a small plane.
I can't forget the empty feeling and I watched the coverage far too many hours. The Tree house is in the flight path for flights heading west and southwest so in the morning there was a jet overhead every 2 minutes. The strangest sound I didn't hear was the silence of no planes overhead. The only ones that did come over were Missouri Air National Guard F-15s...

A day I would love to forget but will and could never...

So! You noticed the A-4 behind behind Clinton and Trump the other night? ;)

Ok, it's now the morning of the 11th where I am.

So many years later, and the world is still vibrating to the tensions of that day.

So many new members who never new Taryn. She was a great loss to her family, to the world, and to the old Crux group. They say time heals, and it's true that I don't feel as bad now as I did for so many years on this date. All the more reason never to forget. Never to forget a wonderful young woman taken from us far to soon.

Thank you so much, Phlebas, for remembering us the ones who lost their lifes on that terrible day. I was on an economic mission in Finland. Just as I concluded my conference, someone warned us that a plane had crashed into a WTC tower. We rushed outside to watch TV. I saw the second plane crashing, horrified. Some of us were crying. I wasn't. I was just too disgusted by human beings. It's only three days later that I learned I had watched Taryn's death 'live', so to say. And then I cried...

memorium911-jpg-taryn-jpg.237245
flower1

Interesting how memory compresses time. And sixteen years seems like twenty-four hours ago.

Fitzgerald's line seems an unlikely fit here, save for the mood of melancholy it imparts.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

As I am ahead of most of you in time zone, it falls to me to remember this day once again. The years pass and the pain lessens, but I will always remember Taryn and all those who were lost on that day.
Forever young, forever riding her cross in our memory

0017-crosscarry.jpg

I first encountered the Yahoo crux group the following March, when the memory of the Twin Towers and Taryn were still fresh wounds in everyone’s hearts.

I asked Taryn who? This is the picture they posted.

Attachments

• 898D2B2D-7F91-4308-A422-5EEEBE85E49C.jpeg
    898D2B2D-7F91-4308-A422-5EEEBE85E49C.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 101
As I am ahead of most of you in time zone, it falls to me to remember this day once again. The years pass and the pain lessens, but I will always remember Taryn and all those who were lost on that day.
Forever young, forever riding her cross in our memory

View attachment 621254
As I mentioned in another thread, there's a special place in the afterlife.

And most of the people who remember Pearl Harbor aren’t alive anymore.
As I mentioned in another thread, there's a special place in the afterlife.
As I said a few years back I was having my satellite service upgraded on 9-11-2001. I had the day off work and got up late and made a pot of of coffee (no K-cups then). I turned on the the then modern projection TV and saw a smoking box. I wondered what it could be a the sound took longer to awhile to come on... You know how I spent my day...

As I said a few years back I was having my satellite service upgraded on 9-11-2001. I had the day off work and got up late and made a pot of of coffee (no K-cups then). I turned on the the then modern projection TV and saw a smoking box. I wondered what it could be a the sound took longer to awhile to come on... You know how I spent my day...

At work in the Bronx they sent us all home at 10:30. The buses had stopped running so I walked the 2 1/2 Miles home. Fire trucks from Yonkers and points north kept screaming by headed south towards Manhattan. Found out "my heart was racing" is a very apt, very exact metaphor. Kept thinking "This would be a really wrong day to have a heart attack."

At work in the Bronx they sent us all home at 10:30. The buses had stopped running so I walked the 2 1/2 Miles home. Fire trucks from Yonkers and points north kept screaming by headed south towards Manhattan. Found out "my heart was racing" is a very apt, very exact metaphor. Kept thinking "This would be a really wrong day to have a heart attack."
I am... maybe was... a thinking guy. As I watched there was speculation that 30,000 people could die. The total was under 3000 everywhere. But it happened where it shouldn't have in my head.

I used to like to fly. I'm not afraid to fly but the glamour is gone and it will never come back...

Back
Top Bottom