The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I just looked through some of my old videos of political campaigns in Germany and other parts of the world and I suddenly asked myself when and why "decency" got out of fashion in this world. In Europe, it still exists but something like this has become rare even in Europe:

Why and where have these "good old times" gone? Am I already so old now to be so "nostalgic"?

CONGRATULATIONS WILBUR, new mayor of Rabbit Hash, Kentucky.

Who’s a good boy then? Great to see American democracy in action! :p
What do the rabbits of Rabbit Hash think of this cynically speciesist canine overlordship?

They ask for equal representation but all that ever happens is they get presented on the dinner table ...

That may be different according to the country.
Years ago, I regularly had the 'honour' (drafted for peanuts; Sunday fucked up in the name of democracy) to preside a counting team during elections. A vote casted by a means that was not the regular object (a red pencil) would have been declared non valid, even if it would fit all other criteria of a regular vote. Because it could identify a voter (by his/her claim afterwards), which is against the law.
On one occasion, I have interrupted the counting, because, suddenly a number of votes with a blue pencil showed up. After a brief consultation with the party representatives and the officials, it was decided to count them as regular votes, but the irregularity had to be mentioned in the report.

Attachments

• bdsmlr-22598-SJ1mKM9K9F.jpg
    bdsmlr-22598-SJ1mKM9K9F.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 60
FAKE NEWSFLASH
shock re-count in Minnesota turns Blue state Red...
..Rebel leaders arrested..
“Oh shit!” says one, code named @Barbaria1 , as she is bundled into an unmarked van and carted off to face criminal charges...
New Republican Governor announces Minneapolis to be re-named Trumpton.. :p ;)

A few hours ago, one of the best German satirical TV shows, the "ZDF heute-show", had some remarks about some tweets in the USA and I really knew before, they would do this because this expression is so "well-known" in German history ("total war" is "totaler Krieg" in German and almost every German knows the question of Joseph Goebbels at the end of WW II: "Wollt Ihr den totalen Krieg?") :

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_23h55m15s_008_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_23h55m42s_009_.jpg

Great idea to use this expression in politics from a German point of view, because last time we Germans often used it, it was almost impossible a short time later to get lost in the streets of a German city because from every street you could still see the cathedral or the "Dom":

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_23h42m47s_0161_.jpg

The other parts of this show were a bit more funny, for example our Chancellor Angela Merkel was already seen a bit celebrating the last ballot numbers for Joe Biden and she already went to her coiffeur to make a new happier hairstyle:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.07_00h04m34s_022_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.07_00h05m06s_023_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.07_00h09m56s_028_.jpg.

Before, every one was afraid of a nightmare scene like this with the old and new president visiting the German Foreign Ministry:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_01h20m30s_001_.jpg

Hm, as we all know, Donald Trump and Angela Merkel would never have become Romeo & Juliet, so these were the sad pictures of their lives unhappily lived together:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.30_19h14m11s_004_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.30_19h14m42s_005_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.30_19h13m39s_003_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.30_19h12m45s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.07_00h02m36s_021_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_23h57m11s_011_.jpg

By the way, this satirical German "heute-show" is also famous for its playing with words and background music. "Eine(r) von uns beiden muss nun gehen!" (= "One of us both must now go!") is a famous German sentence from this hit of the 1970's, which became a common German proverb in all kinds of relationships, politics etc.
This song is the German version of "Jolene" and I was very surprised to hear that this is the most played song in German meeting points and bars for lesbian and homosexual singles:

("total war" is "totaler Krieg" in German and almost every German knows the question of Joseph Goebbels at the end of WW II: "Wollt Ihr den totalen Krieg?") :
A question he 'posed' in early 1943, to be exactly, shortly after the 6th Army defeat at Stalingrad. He did it during a rally in the sports palace in Berlin, in front of a selected crowd of followers, cheering enthusiatically 'yes!'
It had until then been the policy of the Nazi government that daily life in Germany should not be affected by the war and the war efforts. It was becoming clear, I suppose, that due to the events, this policy could no longer be upheld in the near future.

Meanwhile Frau Merkel :
1604741661088.png
Seems to wonder why men always want the biggest globe?;)
globe.jpg

Correct, you are absolutely right and I thought, this "Sportpalastrede" happened later because I remembered that some German generals already feared at that time to have lost the war because some defeats like that at Stalingrad were losses which could not be compensated any more by the overstressed German troops at the frontlines everywhere in Europe and Northern Africa.

By the way, I have once also heard another version of "Goebbel's Sportpalastrede" from a satirically predisposed taxi driver in Berlin who told me a story like from the Billy Wilder comedy "1, 2, 3" and the history might have been completely different, if this were true ... because the thoughtful German audience was so surprised by this fanatic question that they answered "najaaaah" (=> "well, might beeeee"), but in this very, very biiiig hall with its loud echo ...

:eek::facepalm::doh:

In UK, you can use any writing implement you like - even a glitter pen. And you don't have to put a cross, you can draw a smiley if you want. So long as it's absolutely clear who you're voting for, so long as there's just a clear mark alongside one name or party, the vote will be counted.
Even if one drew a Phallus ?!
Well,well.....there's an idea...!!

It is right now interesting to see in Europe how different some governments are reacting to the elections in the USA in spite of being members in the European Union.

The presidents of Slovenia - where Melania Trump was born - and Hungary ( Janez Jansa and Victor Orban ) congratulated on Wednesday to the "great victory of Donald Trump", when he declared to have won the elections. The presidents of the most neighbouring countries of Slovenia and Hungary said:
"Well, that is interesting because these both guys Orban & Jansa will soon have a lot of problems with the European Councils in Brussels & Strassbourg because of their suppression of a free press as we in Western Europe have known it to be. Nice that they make themselves ridiculous by not waiting for official results. Usually, there are some institutions or election observers who declare the winner and in Europe, a president does not declare himself to be a winner of elections except in the "good old days" of communism in Eastern Europe."

And today, there is said to have been a telephone call between Angela Merkel from Germany and Emmanuel Macron from France and only after this, both congratulated "President-elect" Joe Biden almost simultaneously about 5 hours ago and almost all governments of Europe followed, so I think, only who is congratulating today is really a government or a person which or who is to be taken seriously and honorable:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.08_00h06m08s_002_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.08_00h06m39s_003_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.08_00h10m04s_005_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.08_00h11m01s_006_.jpg

One conservative (!) newspaper in Germany is quoting Karl Marx (especially him out of all things): "History is repeating itself, once as a tragedy and once as a farce!"
In this article, they say the election campaign Bush versus Gore was a tragedy and this now Biden versus Trump is a farce, explaining his behaviour by saying he obviously believes he could repeat the situation of 20 years ago because he does not listen to anyone but himself and so, making his situation more ridiculous every day:

And the most read left-orientated weekly of Germany - "Der Spiegel" - at first today wanted to have this picture on his cover with the title "The Squatter" but probably changes it during the last hours to the last one:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.07_19h29m36s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.08_00h40m58s_007_.jpg

It had until then been the policy of the Nazi government that daily life in Germany should not be affected by the war and the war efforts. It was becoming clear, I suppose, that due to the events, this policy could no longer be upheld in the near future.
There is an interesting parallel between the Trumpite reaction to COVID-19 and the election and the Hitlerite conduct of the War. Refusing to mobilize all necessary resources so as not to disrupt normal life and panic the public. Constantly claiming victories in the face of continuous defeat. Promising victory very soon and claiming a miracle cure/weapon would soon turn everything around. Blaming others labeled as conspirators, incompetents, and traitors for their own failures in leadership. Now, hiding in a bunker an ordering attacks by non-existent armies while the city falls around him.
Political Cartoons 9-16 1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom