The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Henrietta "Oww..owww...Oh Miss! I think you can stop now. OldSlave has just EXCELLED himself and come up with the answer."
Miss "What! Let me see now. Hmmmm..very well then. You young ladies are very fortunate but...I'm giving you one more Henrietta for such an awful pun."
problem4.jpg

Actually, I got an Excel formula to write the numbers from 1 to 100, then SUMed them.

(I had forgotten your mathematical construct, melissa, though when I saw the answer I knew there was one)
The story I heard in my schooldays was that back in 1784 a primary teacher gave her class the problem of adding up all the numbers from 1 to 100 while she got on with some paperwork. All the kids began the laborious task of 1+2+3+....But after a few minutes one seven year old put up his hand and gave the answer of 5050. The teacher asked him how he did it and he explained that he added up the numbers in pairs..so..
1+100=101
2+99=101
3+98=101.....Then he realized that he would have 50 pairs each adding up to 101 so the total must be 50x101=5050. His name was Carl Friedrich Gauss. There are many variations on this story but if he'd have been in my class I would have said "OK, little smart ass now go away and add up the first fifty square numbers."

The story I heard in my schooldays was that back in 1784 a primary teacher gave her class the problem of adding up all the numbers from 1 to 100 while she got on with some paperwork. All the kids began the laborious task of 1+2+3+....But after a few minutes one seven year old put up his hand and gave the answer of 5050. The teacher asked him how he did it and he explained that he added up the numbers in pairs..so..
1+100=101
2+99=101
3+98=101.....Then he realized that he would have 50 pairs each adding up to 101 so the total must be 50x101=5050. His name was Carl Friedrich Gauss. There are many variations on this story but if he'd have been in my class I would have said "OK, little smart ass now go away and add up the first fifty square numbers."
in all honesty, that (how to find the sum of a series of numbers from 1 to x) is something I worked out for myself when I was at school and spending serious time on maths. But clearly I didn't keep it up to Gauss's standard - nor did I have a teacher like you, Mel! :devil:

in all honesty, that (how to find the sum of a series of numbers from 1 to x) is something I worked out for myself when I was at school and spending serious time on maths. But clearly I didn't keep it up to Gauss's standard - nor did I have a teacher like you, Mel! :devil:
You should never give up on using maths especially solving logic problems. In winter it's about the only exercise I get!

You should never give up on using maths especially solving logic problems. In winter it's about the only exercise I get!
As much as I marvel at your literacy and education - be warned that reading the wrong books can be dangerous!
books.gif

FB_IMG_1607076313075.jpg
Don’t tell me @Barbaria1 is finally reading the small print! :eek:

I very much agree - you'd surprised that I did quite well in maths, and as part of my linguistic studies I took a course in formal logic, which I found very helpful in analysing how languages work - but I'm rusty with numbers now, more at home with words.

As much as I marvel at your literacy and education - be warned that reading the wrong books can be dangerous!
View attachment 934833
just like me! :D

Could counting the lashes be a good place to start?
That thought occurred to me when I was writing about whipping, if the first stroke hurts x1, the second x2, the pain's already x3, then the third takes it up to x6 when I start screaming, the fourth to x10 when I'm starting to dance ... and so on!

I need some help here! I have found this pic and it enamored me. It screams "Crux and Love".

Normaly I am not lost for words (though I often have problems to translate them in intelligible english :)), but I am looking at this pic and have no idea for a smart, classy description/comment.
View attachment 934910
"My love for you is the cross on which I hang" she said.

Barb,looking swell...(plus looking up,either @montycrusto Limericks,or the mathematical formulation)
View attachment 934875View attachment 934876

Don’t tell me @Barbaria1 is finally reading the small print! :eek:
I am shocked. I thought Barb never read, she is more into exercise
So I assume that´s not you in this pic?
View attachment 934912
Barb in Minnesota Autumn - looking for her usual work

I need some help here! I have found this pic and it enamored me. It screams "Crux and Love".

Normaly I am not lost for words (though I often have problems to translate them in intelligible english :)), but I am looking at this pic and have no idea for a smart, classy description/comment.
View attachment 934910
You nailed my heart to the tree.

Back
Top Bottom