The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I still do not feel so old as I am (57) but the weather in Germany really became strange during my life time. In my youth, there were really seasons of each 3 months of winter, spring, summer and autumn/ fall. The people were wearing clothes suitable for these seasons for about three months.
In these times, I am looking around in my German city and you can really see that the people are never sure what to wear because of fast changing temperatures.
In this article, the German weekly "Der Spiegel" reports that for the first time in more than 100 years, the rather cold winter temperatures jumped in the city of Göttingen within one week from minus 23,8 degrees Celsius up to plus 18,1 degrees Celsius, which means a plus of 41,9 degrees Celsius (= about 105 degrees Fahrenheit !) within one week.
For me at my age, these are now temperature changings like on another planet and you can really remark it in the behaviour of the guests in "my" hotel. When the temperatures are jumping up so much during one or two days, in the evenings, the guests fall asleep almost like the sleeping Beauty in the German fairy-tale "Dornröschen", who is sleeping 100 years. No one around this hotel still seems to be awake in such nights except me - there is even almost no more traffic on the streets except the delivery trucks for ALDI, Lidl or the cars of the police and the ambulances. These are really strange times for Germany:

And the scientists in Germany are even saying, everything about our temperatures could become even much worse in coming decades because Europe benefits and is favored very much by the North Atlantic "Golfstrom" ("gulf stream" ?), which sends warm water across the Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico up to Iceland and Norway. This "Golfstrom" is remarkably becoming weaker during the last years. And now imagine that New York in the USA is almost on the same degree of latitude as Naples in Italy. Winter temperatures like - 20 or minus 40 degrees Celsius in New York are possible - in Naples such temperatures are unimaginable ... up to now ... , because the breakdown of the "Golfstrom" could in some predictions make the temperatures much lower in Europe, whereas everywhere else in the world, the temperatures would be rising very much.

This winter, we had about one week of a kind of a really cold winter for Germany but only one week later, we had already springtime tempartures. Two weeks ago, I saw everyone wearing anoraks and now especially the young people are already partly wearing short trousers and T-shirts in the warmest German cities. It is like making a voyage from Norway to Italy within one week without leaving your home city and this is no more normal for us Germans.

This winter, we had about one week of a kind of a really cold winter for Germany but only one week later, we had already springtime tempartures. Two weeks ago, I saw everyone wearing anoraks and now especially the young people are already partly wearing short trousers and T-shirts in the warmest German cities. It is like making a voyage from Norway to Italy within one week without leaving your home city and this is no more normal for us Germans.
It happened before - OK not every year, but at least once in a decade - that a really cold winter week is followed by spring-like weather, in February. It could be due to an eastward shift in location of the stable high pressure zone (winds turning clockwise), which brings first polar wind to Europe, followed by warm Sahara wind. That's the explanation I heard for the recent drastic increase of temperatures here.

Oh yes, I know and as "Der Spiegel" said in the quoted article, probably the same jump in temperatures happened already in May 1880, but I also remember that German quotation of having a "Jahrhundertsommer" (= "summer of the century" which means to have such a hot "German" summer only once in a century with around 60 consecutive days with more than + 25 degrees Celsius) in 1947, 1983, 1992, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2015, 2018, 2019 ... ooops ... suddenly a bit too much "summers of the century" in a bit too few decades, I think:

... and in the summer of 2019 at the Eiffel Tower in the center of Paris you were not really happy to be a tourist there with around 42 degrees Celsius in the shadow in four consecutive days (!) for the first time in the history of Paris.

I think, I might possibly need a further explanation for my understanding.
Why does this ... hrm ... "statue" hold a piece of paper in its hand with the title "We the people"?
What kind of people are looking like this? Floridians? Aliens?
:eek:
I don’t know why the sculptor shows the former President holding the Constitution in one hand and a magic wand in the other.. almost as if he is about to make the Constitution disappear? Who knows. The statue was made in Mexico.

It's amazing how just a bit of sunshine can lift the spirits. We went to a supermarket last Friday, passing Whitley woods and the Porter valley. The side streets were packed with parked cars from people out exercising their kids. "Yes dear you do have to walk. One front in front of the other..you'll soon get used to it!"
Then we passed Endcliffe park very busy with more mums and kids running up and down. A couple of years ago there was a fly past there to commemorate the B17, Mi Amigo which crashed in the park on Feb 22nd 1944. An eight year old boy playing in the park that day still looks after the memorial. I've passed it thousands of times but never actually walked up to the memorial bit. Bought some Sushi for lunch and spent a fairly lazy day in the garden. When the sky is a brilliant blue, fluffy white clouds drifting amiably along and warm sunshine on your face it's hard to imagine that some microscopic little bastards are out to get you.

When the sky is a brilliant blue, fluffy white clouds drifting amiably along and warm sunshine on your face it's hard to imagine that some microscopic little bastards are out to get you.
The same here a tiny bit farther north, snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are all in bloom together, and the winter heather/heath (I'm too idle to work out the difference) is a beautiful mound of white and purple.

Interesting that Prince Philip (the Queen's husband, 99 years old) has been moved from a private hospital to an NHS one, Saint Bartholomew's in the City of London, said to be the oldest hospital in England, but with an excellent reputation for cardiovascular work. Methinks it might be serious......

The same here a tiny bit farther north, snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are all in bloom together, and the winter heather/heath (I'm too idle to work out the difference) is a beautiful mound of white and purple.

Interesting that Prince Philip (the Queen's husband, 99 years old) has been moved from a private hospital to an NHS one, Saint Bartholomew's in the City of London, said to be the oldest hospital in England, but with an excellent reputation for cardiovascular work. Methinks it might be serious......
But his probability of survival are excellent. Very few people die between the age of 99 and 100.

I don’t know why the sculptor shows the former President holding the Constitution in one hand and a magic wand in the other.. almost as if he is about to make the Constitution disappear? Who knows. The statue was made in Mexico.
Hm, according to the latest news, there might now be diplomatic problems between China and Mexico about the "honor" to have built this very ... hrm ... "beautiful" ... hrm ... "statue":

The oddest things stop the trains in the UK......

3317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom