The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I once experienced being on a CalMac ferry blown sideways across Ardrossan harbour by a sudden gale, the crews on board and on the quayside were impressively cool and efficient, getting the mooring gear linked up to winches that slowly but surely got us safely back where we should be. They just need a squad of Clydesmen out there, they'd do a 3-point turn with that vessel, nae problem!
Sorry to say Eulalia, to me it looks like even the best Clyde river men would find a 3-pointer with that vessel in the Suez canal, out of the question, as it appears longer than the canal is wide.
The container ship "Ever Given" is said to be 400 metres long by 14 m draught, but the canal is designed to be 205 to 225 m wide at 11 m depth.
(as per Wikipedia)

Sorry to say Eulalia, to me it looks like even the best Clyde river men would find a 3-pointer with that vessel in the Suez canal, out of the question, as it appears longer than the canal is wide.
The container ship "Ever Given" is said to be 400 metres long by 14 m draught, but the canal is designed to be 205 to 225 m wide at 11 m depth.
(as per Wikipedia)
you take me too seriously, I was well aware the bloody thing's almost as long as the canal, never mind the width. :p

you take me too seriously, I was well aware the bloody thing's almost as long as the canal, never mind the width. :p
Well of course (or off course) anyone who saw the overhead photos/ satellite image knew it was longer than the canal was wide, I just wondered - by how much? Answer; effectively twice as long as the canal is wide.
It is even too big for the Panama canal as the limit for that, after the latest rebuilding of the locks, is 366 m.

Well of course (or off course) anyone who saw the overhead photos/ satellite image knew it was longer than the canal was wide, I just wondered - by how much? Answer; effectively twice as long as the canal is wide.
It is even too big for the Panama canal as the limit for that, after the latest rebuilding of the locks, is 366 m.
Mind you I had this issue when on a British narrow canal, to turn a full length narrowboat, 70 feet long by 6ft11in wide, you need to find the nearest "winding hole". We did not get our hire boat stuck, not even in Braunston tunnel.
We did have an issue on another trip, going south into London, when the gearbox control cable broke. Luckily my friend's son who was steering at the time, entered the next lock slowly (instead of charging in at full speed and slamming it full astern at the last instant as was his wont) thus we did not hit the lock gate and end up like this.:-

I once translated an article from the German newspaper "Tagesspiegel", an attempt to explain this ship accident

Anyone who disregards physical laws will be punished. The work of such a thing - and not the wind - has probably brought the "Ever Given" into its predicament.
The course of the “Ever Given” through the Suez Canal is recorded on a video from the ship tracking platform “VesselFinder”. There you can see how the ship, on its way north, shortly after entering the canal around 7.40 a.m. (local time), increasingly approached the western bank, i.e. the left bank of the canal in the direction of travel. It is still unclear whether it was actually the strong wind reported for this time together with a corresponding steering maneuver that caused the ship to deviate from its course.

However, what happened after that had nothing to do with wind or perhaps poor visibility as a result of a sandstorm, according to information from the marine technology engineer Evert Lataire. Lataire is the head of the Maritime Technology Division at the University of Ghent in Belgium.
Together with the scientific institute “Flanders Hydraulic Research”, his research group studies the behavior of ships in shallow and narrow waters. In an interview with Tagesspiegel, he underlined his conviction that the so-called “Bank Effect” was working in the “Ever Given” accident.
As the name suggests, it arises when a ship approaches the bank (English "bank"). And the forces of the bank effect can become particularly strong when a large ship like the “Ever Given” plows through the water of a narrow canal. If the ship approaches one of the banks, the space on this side for the water masses displaced by the hull becomes increasingly narrow.

As a result, the displaced water flows faster and faster between the side wall of the ship and the nearby bank embankment. And this in turn changes the pressure in the flowing water according to a law that the Swiss physicist Daniel Bernoulli discovered in 1838 and incorporated into an equation that bears his name today.
Speed and pressure

The faster the water flows, the lower the pressure in it. Bernoulli could hardly have imagined that one day at least a tenth of the global movement of goods would come to a standstill due to a practical effect of his physical flow law.
In the words of Professor Lataire, Bernoulli's realization made itself felt as follows: “The different pressure conditions caused the ship to yaw inevitably in a clockwise direction.” That means: its bow initially moved a little further away from the west bank of the canal, while its stern moved towards the bank. The longitudinal axis of the ship turned overall to the right around an imaginary vertical axis roughly in the middle of the ship.

The turn of only 20 degrees was enough and the catastrophe for the globalized world economy was perfect: With a speed of over ten knots and the Newtonian inertia of an inert ship's mass of over 200,000 tons, the bulbous bow of the "Ever Given" began deep in the sand to drill the eastern embankment of the Suez Canal.
Transporting and blocking

Her stern, on the other hand, ran aground on the opposite west bank. And so the 400-meter-long shipping obstacle, lying diagonally from southwest to northeast in the Suez Canal, blocked the shortest sea route and thus a large part of the trade between Asia and Europe as well as the oil transport from the Middle East. Leading business media in particular deal intensively with this acute, serious vascular disease in the world economy.

As a result, the displaced water flows faster and faster between the side wall of the ship and the nearby bank embankment. And this in turn changes the pressure in the flowing water according to a law that the Swiss physicist Daniel Bernoulli discovered in 1838 and incorporated into an equation that bears his name today.
Speed and pressure

The faster the water flows, the lower the pressure in it. Bernoulli could hardly have imagined that one day at least a tenth of the global movement of goods would come to a standstill due to a practical effect of his physical flow law.
The same principle that creates lift on an airplane's wing. Due to the wing's profile, air flows faster over the upper surface, than under the lower. Faster flow means less pressure, hence an upward pressure on the wing, keeping or making it airborne. As I understand, in this case, Bernouilli's principle must have sucked the ship towards the bank, once it had come too close.

The same principle that creates lift on an airplane's wing. Due to the wing's profile, air flows faster over the upper surface, than under the lower. Faster flow means less pressure, hence an upward pressure on the wing, keeping or making it airborne. As I understand, in this case, Bernouilli's principle must have sucked the ship towards the bank, once it had come too close.
Also it is difficult to steer away from the bank (assuming the bank is close to to the starboard side) as to apply rudder to steer the bow to port makes the stern move to starboard. Unlike a car, which steers from its front wheels gripping the road, a ship is in a fluid medium and tends to pivot from somewhere about its mid-length. I saw an amusing demonstration of this whilst on the Norfolk Broads.
A fairly large motor cruiser was attempting a 3-point turn in a narrow dead-end side dyke, the stern side-swiped the quay side and the impact caused the familly's little dog to be flung into the water. It seemed to be able to swim very well, but one of the sons, about 8 years old, lept in to "save" it. Panic ensued, the boy and dog were hauled out and the boat moored at last. A tremendous arguement then ensued which lasted about an hour. The boy had been wearing a life jacket, so he was reasonably safe anyway.

News just in :
Some of you will be pleased to know,that I have had the first,of my 2-part Vaccination jabs. (AstraZeneca was mine.)
Arm's a bit tender,but otherwise fine,so far....
Hopefully will be good for a cruxing,come Friday.;)
FB_IMG_1610457399669.jpgthe-elephant-man.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
There's a legend that only Italians could dream up about St J needing to get some Egyptian currency on the Flight with Mary and the baby, so he makes zeppole and sells them by the roadside!
And the fact that they look a bit like pastry "tits" has nothing to do with Joseph being on the road and (according to orthodox Catholic tradition) devoted to chastity, and he's not fixated at all with any part of Mary, nope. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Are you supposed to lick and suck the cherry on the top first, before teasing the cream out of the main part?):devil:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom