The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Just heard the news this evening, more covid patients in hospitals now than there were at the height of the first wave. :( :( :(
Yes, unfortunately that is the case, in the first wave we Germans showed how a lockdown should work and now in the second wave, we have shown with this lockdown light how you shouldn't do it under any circumstances if it shouldn't get worse .

For those not in what the British, in geographical chauvinism, called the "Far East," the new year is rapidly approaching. And most will hear at the magic hour a rendition (anywhere from fine to abysmal) of a Scottish folk tune with half Scottish and half English lyrics. Many may wonder how this strange tune became the tradition for new year's eve. The first video explores it in fascinating detail. For those with limited time, it comes down to a fellow named Gaetano Alberto "Guy" Lombardo who was a Canadian-American bandleader, violinist, and hydroplane racer.
The justification of the retention of old Scottish words was provided by the man who first published it, Robert Burns. As quoted already in my Lowland Adventure story,
"There is a naivete, a pastoral simplicity, in a slight inter-mixture of Scots words and phraseology, which is more in unison (at least to my taste, and, I will add, to every genuine Caledonian) with the simple pathos, or rustic sprightliness, of our native music, than any English Verses whatever."
You will hear enough poorly pronounced versions performed. Here is a Scots version that also showcases the beauty of the North:

For those not in what the British, in geographical chauvinism, called the "Far East," the new year is rapidly approaching. And most will hear at the magic hour a rendition (anywhere from fine to abysmal) of a Scottish folk tune with half Scottish and half English lyrics. Many may wonder how this strange tune became the tradition for new year's eve. The first video explores it in fascinating detail. For those with limited time, it comes down to a fellow named Gaetano Alberto "Guy" Lombardo who was a Canadian-American bandleader, violinist, and hydroplane racer.
The justification of the retention of old Scottish words was provided by the man who first published it, Robert Burns. As quoted already in my Lowland Adventure story,
"There is a naivete, a pastoral simplicity, in a slight inter-mixture of Scots words and phraseology, which is more in unison (at least to my taste, and, I will add, to every genuine Caledonian) with the simple pathos, or rustic sprightliness, of our native music, than any English Verses whatever."
You will hear enough poorly pronounced versions performed. Here is a Scots version that also showcases the beauty of the North:
Thanks PrPr, that is a good arrangement very well sung (and piped), and the documentary about the travels of the tune is interesting.
But not many people know, it's not the traditional tune that Burns heard from an 'old man's singing', the original was this one:

In truth, he wasn't particularly keen on that melody, and in 1794 his printer/publisher suggested one that went with a song called 'The Miller's Daughter' would suit it well - which was certainly an inspired suggestion, as that documentary proves. But I rather like the old tune, it's haunting and wistful, quite different from the merry conviviality of the one we usually sing.

The kitchen table at Ellisland in Nithsdale, where Robert Burns came with his new wife Jean in 1788 - struggled to farm there for some years (stopping to address the occasional mouse), but then became an exciseman down the road in Dumfries.

1609460307638.png

NEWS JUST IN.....
I had to take a second Covid test,following my previously NEGATIVE symptoms,as I still showed possible signs of Covid.
This time,my test results were POSITIVE.
Isolation protocols are in place until next week.
Basically I just feel a bit bleuargh,and not any sensations of taste or smell.
Thank you. B.xx

NEWS JUST IN.....
I had to take a second Covid test,following my previously NEGATIVE symptoms,as I still showed possible signs of Covid.
Thank you. B.xx
Holy shit.. so sorry to hear that baracus... best wishes my friend

NEWS JUST IN.....
Thank you. B.xx
Take care fella, stay safe!

NEWS JUST IN.....
Thank you. B.xx
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom