The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
The Fagradalsfjall volcano in Iceland that started erupting in March last threw out lava in September, it is (as at last week) declared to be no longer erupting, though still 'restless', there are more or less daily earthquakes in the vicinity. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I think it was a record duration in Iceland, at least 6 months more or less continuous activity.

The Fagradalsfjall volcano in Iceland that started erupting in March last threw out lava in September, it is (as at last week) declared to be no longer erupting, though still 'restless', there are more or less daily earthquakes in the vicinity. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I think it was a record duration in Iceland, at least 6 months more or less continuous activity.
Such a long volcanic eruptions! According to the Book of Revelation, this can only mean that the Apocalypse is near!:eek::nusee::abduct:

While we talk tornadoes, an as yet unnamed volcano in the Cumbre Vieja Range has set a new duration record on the Canary Island of La Palma. Never before in the known history, a eruption lasted at least 85 days.
Twenty years ago, two geophysicist have coined the possibility that a volcanic eruption could make large part of the island slide into the Atlantic, which could cause a tsunami that could even run as far as the American East Coast, and engulf NYC under a 90 meters high wave. Others claim it would 'only' get 3 meters high when it would reach NYC, but that is stiil something to give 5 th Ave wet feet.
I just read something that claimed that excess and/or heavy rain (Hawaii has been getting a lot of it) erodes the cooled lava caps over craters and helps trigger eruptions. I guess it could be.

Hey has anyone heard of NFT’s? (Non Fungible Tokens, yeah I don’t get it either)

The reason I ask is that it seems to be a new way for talentless greedy asshats to make money out of genuinely creative people. Artists upload their work for free, for the joy of sharing it with others, and then some dingbat comes along and “monetises” it (without permission), selling an NFT of the artwork for profit while the artist gets nothing.

I read about it on DeviantArt, who now offer a service that scans the internet for NFT’s of your work, letting you know if someone is making money out of you without your knowledge.

One artist I follow on DA “Lipatov” is snowed under with NFT reports

Amazing isn’t it? :eek::confused:

Hey has anyone heard of NFT’s? (Non Fungible Tokens, yeah I don’t get it either)

The reason I ask is that it seems to be a new way for talentless greedy asshats to make money out of genuinely creative people. Artists upload their work for free, for the joy of sharing it with others, and then some dingbat comes along and “monetises” it (without permission), selling an NFT of the artwork for profit while the artist gets nothing.

I read about it on DeviantArt, who now offer a service that scans the internet for NFT’s of your work, letting you know if someone is making money out of you without your knowledge.

One artist I follow on DA “Lipatov” is snowed under with NFT reports

Amazing isn’t it? :eek::confused:
I often have thought about that possibility, that someone copies one of our stories (they are even openly available for non-members), for publishing it under his or her own name, and make money of it. Difficult for us to claim the authorship, without exposing ourselves publically.:loco:

Hey has anyone heard of NFT’s?
Indeed I have - they're a bit like Scottish baronies, that you can buy any time on the internet - they give you no rights, powers or privileges whatsoever beyond the right to say whatever it is, it's yours and no-one else's. As far as poems, artworks etc., the 'value' of the NFT has evidently little or nothing to do with the quality of the work, everything to do with the social media 'celebrity' of its 'creator'. This short piece from a recent TLS back page gives the idea:

We like press releases. Back in spring (February 12), we mentioned the work of a poet called Arch Hades, who was described in a press release as a “glamorous divorcee with a huge social media following”. Now comes a new press release. Ms Hades has “made history” by selling a single poem – “Arcadia”, a collaborative effort concerning “modern day anxiety and loneliness as by-products of cultural and societal constructs”, accompanied by music and a nine-minute video – at Christies in New York, on November 9, for $525,000. This makes Hades “the world’s highest paid poet”.

“Arcadia” is 1,000 words, and therefore each of them is worth $525. “Now I feel this aching distance”, the poem begins, “between me and something real.” That’s $5,775 already. “I want to pull out all my wires.” (Another $4,200.) “Let my wounds finally heal.” $12,600 for one quatrain? This isn’t a rate the TLS, or any other journal for that matter, pays for poetry.

What was actually sold at Christies this month, however, was that strange new “cryptographic” species known as an NFT (a non- fungible token), by which ownership in a work of art may be bought and sold. This right is – be careful what you wish for – “unerasable”.

“Arcadia” is 1,000 words, and therefore each of them is worth $525
Ridiculous! My limericks are worth far more than that!! :bdsm-wink:
strange new “cryptographic” species known as an NFT (a non- fungible token), by which ownership in a work of art may be bought and sold.
This all sounds like cryptocurrency, another newfangled concept that I don’t understand but nevertheless suspect is a giant scam. :eek:

And for me, the NFT will always be the National Film Theatre on London’s South Bank, where I once saw a really charming season of Miyazaki films from Japan. :D

they give you no rights, powers or privileges whatsoever beyond the right to say whatever it is, it's yours and no-one else's.
Non Fungible Tokens made easy

The concept of Non Fungible Tokens opens up some new, exciting possibilities in the art world. Take, for example, Alice's kilt from her latest picture. I am considering the prospect of offering this rare item for sale by auction, in the form of an NFT. This means the winning bidder will have possession of the original kilt, as it appears in the picture. I can confirm that the original was created by manipulating four pieces of a single visual component to repair the waist, preserve the vertical fringe, and move the visible pleats to the opposite side. The various cuts, transforms, distorts and filter treatments on this item consumed about four hours of my time, so I reckon it's worth at least a reserve price of £20 at auction, and a sale estimate upwards of £25.

This is one of Lulie MacAlister's kilts, and since Lulie is a character created by @Eulalia, the author may feel inclined to challenge my right of possession of items from her wardrobe - quite understandably. The garment in question is a good example of a vintage, army surplus, Highland Light Infantry 'Other Ranks' kilt. This is in authentic HLI MacKenzie tartan, woven in heavy weight wool and pleated to stripe, according to regimental tradition.

Lulie kilt HLI MacKenzie wo-belt1.png

The components for the kilt were sourced from a digital image on Flickr, which is probably not currently the subject of an NFT. Whilst manipulated in a transformative way, the kilt started out as a bunch of pixels, and in spite of the description above, in its current form it remains a bunch of pixels. So the winning bid will purchase a bunch of pixels in the unique order that I have placed them. Significantly, possession of the original kilt gives no control over copying the item, and since it appears in this post as a transparent png file, anybody can download and copy it as often as they like, and use it however they please. The NFT applies only to the original item and not to any copies thereof. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing whole regiments of linkies appropriately attired.

At this point I should also state the disclaimer that I do not actually own Alice, or any copyrights of her original images, so I cannot offer her for sale as an NFT - although some unscrupulous fraudsters might do so. Therefore, as always, caveat emptor. :devil:

hb-eul-2021-strom-exp-lulie-3.jpg

Last edited:
Non Fungible Tokens made easy

The concept of Non Fungible Tokens opens up some new, exciting possibilities in the art world. Take, for example, Alice's kilt from her latest picture. I am considering the prospect of offering this rare item for sale by auction, in the form of an NFT. This means the winning bidder will have possession of the original kilt, as it appears in the picture. I can confirm that the original was created by manipulating four pieces of a single visual component to repair the waist, preserve the vertical fringe, and move the visible pleats to the opposite side. The various cuts, transforms, distorts and filter treatments on this item consumed about four hours of my time, so I reckon it's worth at least a reserve price of £20 at auction, and a sale estimate upwards of £25.

This is one of Lulie MacAlister's kilts, and since Lulie is a character created by @Eulalia, the author may feel inclined to challenge my right of possession of items from her wardrobe - quite understandably. The garment in question is a good example of a vintage, army surplus, Highland Light Infantry 'Other Ranks' kilt. This is in authentic HLI MacKenzie tartan, woven in heavy weight wool and pleated to stripe, according to regimental tradition.

The components for the kilt were sourced from a digital image on Flickr, which is probably not currently the subject of an NFT. Whilst manipulated in a transformative way, the kilt started out as a bunch of pixels, and in spite of the description above, in its current form it remains a bunch of pixels. So the winning bid will purchase a bunch of pixels in the unique order that I have placed them. Significantly, possession of the original kilt gives no control over copying the item, and since it appears in this post as a transparent png file, anybody can download and copy it as often as they like, and use it however they please. The NFT applies only to the original item and not to any copies thereof. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing whole regiments of linkies appropriately attired.

At this point I should also state the disclaimer that I do not actually own Alice, or any copyrights of her original images, so I cannot offer her for sale as an NFT - although some unscrupulous fraudsters might do so. Therefore, as always, caveat emptor. :devil:

I’m beginning to get the idea that the whole NFT thing was dreamt up by lawyers to drum up more work. It certainly seems likely to keep them busy for however many years it is until people realise the whole thing is ridiculous, and condemn it to the same legal purgatory as Rotten Boroughs. That’s my take on it anyway, and like any of my opinions, it is available to purchase as a non-fungible token, at a very affordable price.
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
On a more serious note. I read posts on DA by artists who are now feeling reluctant to share their work online because of these NFT things, they’re happy to share it for free but not if some grasping scumbag is going to make money out of it. There’s not even any selectivity, the artworks are gathered and offered as NFT’s automatically (by bots), and I understand that the owners of the bots make something just out of clicks, even if nobody buys anything. The whole thing seems to me to be massively immoral and parasitic at the very least. I can understand wanting to make a buck out of one’s own content, but out of other people’s? :confused::eek: I guess it’s one of those “Wild West” bubbles that will make a few people very rich before it gets shut down.

I’m beginning to get the idea that the whole NFT thing was dreamt up by lawyers to drum up more work. It certainly seems likely to keep them busy for however many years it is until people realise the whole thing is ridiculous, and condemn it to the same legal purgatory as Rotten Boroughs. That’s my take on it anyway, and like any of my opinions, it is available to purchase as a non-fungible token, at a very affordable price.
:rolleyes:

I guess you saw this yesterday:

I get completely baffled by the whole concept. It seems like a parallel universe and I just hope there is never an easy interface with the real world that we all live in here :naughty2:

I get completely baffled by the whole concept. It seems like a parallel universe and I just hope there is never an easy interface with the real world that we all live in here :naughty2:
Wow, no I did not see that. I’m very struck by this bit: “The NFT was instantly snapped up by an automated account - and put back on sale at nearly $250,000.” The buying is done by bots as well, in fact the whole thing seems to be automated, with humans only intervening to make such fat-fingered mistakes or to extract money. I don’t understand it either but people who know more about economics than I do seem to be hinting that it’s dodgy as f*ck.

We all love to hate DA because of its prudish attitude to kink, (I mean, they even banned ME!!:mad:), but they have at least taken steps against this form of copyright theft.

And this bit just blows my mind…
“The Bored Apes, launched in April 2021, are "programmatically generated" - a computer script mixes and matches an array of colours, designs and accessories to make each unique.”

So the images are not even created by human artists? They’re just cumpuuter generated variants.. like some kind of horrendous visual virus.. *. there’s something horribly Orwellian about that; I seem to remember in Orwell’s 1984, that’s how they wrote novels. It was Julia’s job to maintain the machines that spliced together recycled text-fragments to make new novels. Is this the logical end of the journey started by Andy Warhol’s soup cans? Is art dead? And where’s my coffee?
:icon_cafe:
*at least this is better than selling someone else’s artwork as NFT without their knowledge or permission.. but it still disturbs the f*ck out of me. Digitally generated content, sold by bots to other bots, which then resell it to yet other bots…. And somehow a real person makes real money out of it….

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's worrisome. I do remember years ago an old Japanese machine tool operator bemoaning the fact that everything was being automated and the skill in "these hands" was obsolescent. The same thing happened to typesetters.
On the bright side, you could get artists to paint designs on the bots, like they do on urban walls.
Also, people are using software (as in Cadre's series) to create some pretty stunning stuff. There is a lot of skill in that. And pen, pencil, brush, and ink replaced cave art at one point.
People will find some way to impose themselves on the machines.

Back
Top Bottom