Go to CruxDreams.com
Over the weekend I paid a visit to the Roman Town of Deva Victrix (Chester) in the North West of England. I was able to walk round the best preserved example of a Roman Amphitheatre in the UK, and marvelled at the stone remains, clearly showing the VIP boxes, the Portae Posticae where the Arena's main entrance was, and of course the actual surviving tethering stone.

1623423371511.jpg 20210611_110609.jpg

Inspired by our esteemed author's excellent writing I took it upon myself to carry out further research in the local library. Imagine my amazement when a likeness from the period stated up at me showing a slave girl looking remarkably like our Goth Slut and tethered naked to the actual stone that I had seen. It appears that the slut was maybe more 'travelled' than we thought, and that her most recent escapade wasn't in fact her first time before the Roman Authorities.

Goth Slut.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the weekend I paid a visit to the Roman Town of Deva Victrix (Chester) in the North West of England. I was able to walk round the best preserved example of a Roman Amphitheatre in the UK, and marvelled at the stone remains, clearly showing the VIP boxes, the Portae Posticae where the Arena's main entrance was, and of course the actual surviving tethering stone.

View attachment 1019807 View attachment 1019806

Inspired by our esteemed author's excellent writing I took it upon myself to carry out further research in the local library. Imagine my amazement when a likeness from the period showing a slave girl looking remarkably like our Goth Slut and tethered naked to the actual stone that I had seen. It appears that the slut was maybe more 'travelled' than we thought, and that her most recent escapade wasn't in fact her first time before the Roman Authorities.

View attachment 1019808
I am honored to learn that my story inspired you to expand your knowledge of Rome and the remains near you. The amphitheater must have been very evocative of Barbaria's ordeal.
Indeed, that Goth slut seems well-traveled in more ways than one. Look at the old face. She is a bit "long-in-the-tooth and showing the wear of an excessively promiscuous life. She seems well past her prime and good for little but an erotic dance on the cross. Now, where did I put those Weald nails!

I was able to walk round the best preserved example of a Roman Amphitheatre in the UK, and marvelled at the stone remains, clearly showing the VIP boxes, the Portae Posticae where the Arena's main entrance was, and of course the actual surviving tethering stone.
Wow. Brings back memories! I too have walked that amphitheater on a visit to Chester.

Are any here familiar with the Battle of Vouillé? It marked the end of the short-lived dominance of the Visigoths in Gaul and set in motion the formation of the eventual French state. Here is a video. I love this guy. He's a geek for history, much like me!

Are any here familiar with the Battle of Vouillé? It marked the end of the short-lived dominance of the Visigoths in Gaul and set in motion the formation of the eventual French state. Here is a video. I love this guy. He's a geek for history, much like me!
I didn't know about the Battle of Vouillé but a little research tells me that Vouillé was the founder state of Aquitaine, whose history I am familiar with as that regions loyalty pledge to England started the 100 years war. Excellent stuff!

But note (see the map at 10:49) that the Goths retained control of the far south of Gaul - the area around Narbo (Septimania) being still part of the Visigothic kingdom of Hispania, while the region to the east was under the Ostrogoths who controlled much of Italia, and was still called by the name the Romans had given it (Nostra) Provincia 'our province', as it is today - Provence.

@Baracus has raised an interesting point. Why does a modern cultural-fashion phenomenon carry the same name as a Germanic Tribe from the 4th Century? Believe it or not, there is a connection. However, it is a long and meandering connection.

On 24 August 410 AD, just 27 years after our story, the City of Rome was sacked by the Visigoths led by their king, Alaric. At that time, Rome was no longer the Western Roman Empire's capital, having been replaced in that position first by Mediolanum in 286 and then by Trier and finally Ravenna in 402. Nevertheless, Rome's city retained a central position as "the eternal city" and the spiritual center of the Empire. The sack was a major shock to contemporaries, friends, and foes of the Empire alike. Many Romans saw it as punishment for abandoning traditional Roman religion for Christianity. In response to these accusations, and to console Christians, Saint Augustine wrote his most significant work, De civitate Dei contra paganos (The City of God against the pagans), as an argument for the truth of Christianity over competing religions and philosophies.

The end of the "civilized" Republic and Empire (some would argue that the Roman punishments seen in this story sully the word civilized when applied to Roman) at the hands of the "barbarian" Goths was remembered as a significant turning point in European history. And the Goths attained a lasting reputation (probably undeserved) as enemies of high culture (second only to their fellow East Germans, The Vandals). From this point onward, most rulers in the West were the new Germanic tribes and not the old Italian aristocracy. The Goths were succeeded by the Franks and the whole period of cultural and economic decline became known later as “The Dark Ages.”

Skip ahead to the completion in Paris of Basilique royale de Saint-Denis. The building is of singular importance historically and architecturally as its choir, completed in 1144, was one of the first structures to employ all of a new architectural style elements. Eschewing the Greco-Roman classical styles of solid walls and round arches and columns, the defining design element of Gothic architecture is the pointed or ogival arch. The pointed arch's use, in turn, led to the development of the pointed rib vault and flying buttresses, combined with elaborate tracery and stained glass windows. At the time, the new style was known as opus Francigenum (French work).

Four hundred years later came the Renaissance, by those ambitious to revive the Grecio-Roman orders of architecture and art. These men were contemptuous of the opus Francigenum and derisively named it “Gothic” as belonging to the Barbarian Dark ages. The pervasive influence of the Renaissance on later intellectual thought fixed this name in place. However, the twin heritages of restrained Classical antiquity and Medieval emotional exuberance continued to vie for supremacy through the ages. Successive waves of art, music, and architecture reflected this tension in the Baroque, Rococo, Classical and Romantic periods.

In the Romantic period, a new kind of literature arose that rejected the carefully scripted and controlled forms of the Classical/Enlightenment period with a darker, more emotional cast. It was generally believed to have derived from the English author Horace Walpole's 1764 novel The Castle of Otranto, the new genre covered horror, death, and romance. Walpole, himself, later subtitled his book, "A Gothic Story," harkening back to Gothic architecture and a fascination with the untamed barbarian past. This movement looked to the primitive spirits of nature and the dark forces in the depths of the forest for inspiration. Jane Austin, in her first novel, Northanger Abbey, satirizes her youthful infatuation with Gothic.

The label Gothic stuck with literature and later movies up until the 1970s. Then British, post-punk groups like Joy Division, Bauhaus, and The Cure combined punk dissonance with gloomy lyrics inspired by the Victorian era and classic Gothic horror. By the early 80s, such bands were described by the press as Gothic Rock. The name now applies not only to the music but also to the fashion and lifestyles associated with it.

While our Barbara dislikes tattoos and piercing, this history shows that she can honestly be called the original “Goth Girl.”

Ok. How many here (besides Eul) knew that?
Thanks for the quick college course! Very interesting!

So now the Fate of a Goth Girl is well and truly finished. It would be a good time to express your gratitude by making a contribution to the forums. Or better yet, take the pledge to be an ongoing supporter: https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/take-the-pledge.8932/

And while on the topic of support, your humble scribbler suffers from near-terminal self-doubt and insecurity. Only frequent praise and adulation keep me from chucking it all and shipping out to the antipodes to become a pearl diver (look out @phlebas !) So I beg those who claim to be loyal readers, to consider visiting the Archive and posting a review of the Goth Girl. It doesn't need to be very long or learned. A simple short piece of how it affected you or what you enjoyed. Yes, I want it to stroke my insatiable ego, but even more important, it may help other readers find their way to a story that they will enjoy as you did.

And, it goes without saying, give it five stars!!!!

For those who enjoyed the background and historical essays, these are all collected in an appendix at the end of the archive edition.

We did discuss the eventual revenge of the Goths. Here is a review of the sack of Rome by the Visigoth king Alaric. It includes a nice, summary of the history of the Goths. At 5:06, the great warrior leader Fritigern is discussed.

We did discuss the eventual revenge of the Goths. Here is a review of the sack of Rome by the Visigoth king Alaric. It includes a nice, summary of the history of the Goths. At 5:06, the great warrior ...
Alaric and his vengeance seeking seems like a great plot for the 'Goth sequel' PrPr ...

.. The palaces of the aristocracy were looted, Romans who resisted were killed and women raped by the Visigoths or by slaves who took the opportunity to revenge themselves on their masters ...

Back
Top Bottom