Go to CruxDreams.com
It was early to be out and about. Though the summer day promised oppressive heat later, the pre-dawn air was fresh and cool, allowing the Quaestor to hurry on his way.
Lucius Piso had received a peremptory summons ad Villa Praesidis (to the Governor’s palace). He was sure that it was to discuss his note of the prior evening. He hurried up the Via Lata (Broadway) to its junction with Via Hercules (the name for the Via Domitia within Narbo. When the Romans laid out this first paved road in Gaul, they followed an even more ancient pathway that claimed to be the mythic route of Hercules). At the intersection, he spotted Marcus Claudius, headed the same way.

Ave, Marce, my esteemed friend,” Lucius said in greeting. “Are you headed my way?”
Ad Villa Praesidis?” responded the aristocrat in a dignified voice. Piso nodded. “Yes.”
“Let us go together then.”
“Do you know the pleasure that his excellency desires of our company so early in the morning?”
“I’m afraid I might.” replied the Quaestor. As they walked together, Piso explained the note he’s sent the Governor the prior evening.
“I see,” said Marcus. “As we are two of his Consiliarii Seniores (senior advisors), he is asking our counsel on that matter.”
"Indeed," agreed Lucius as the two came up to the grand entrance of the Villa. They hesitated for a moment and then Lucius grabbed the large iron ring in the lion's mouth and knocked.
30275933632_220ed0dd54_o.jpg

The men untied and raised Barb to sitting on the bench. Her shoulders, arms, and legs screamed with pain from the many hours of enforced stretching. With some difficulty, she raised her hands to take the offered bowl of water. Greedily she sucked down the cool liquid to ease her parched mouth and throat. They offered several refills, and the girl drank her fill.
Her terrible ordeals of the last twenty hours had subdued much of the Goth’s natural rebelliousness. Now, surrounded by six strong soldiers who’d show a readiness to hurt her, she kept her resentment and hatred in check. Submissively, she looked up and whispered, “Cibus (food)?”
Several of the men laughed at her mournful request. Another, the one who doubted the justice of her treatment, said sadly, “No food this morning, parvula (little one). Before you could get nourishment from it, you would vomeres (vomit) it from the flagellando (whipping).”
The reference to future pain drove the girl’s ravenous hunger away, at least for the moment.

Thankful for a brief respite from torment and bondage, Barbara gingerly stretched her arms and legs to loosen her cramped joints and restore circulation. She noted that the rods' welts and the scratches from the animals had receded noticeably over the night. However, the deep bruises from the Optio's staff still pained her every move. She sat quietly and sipped on the last bowl of water she'd been given. Meanwhile, the guards stood around nervously, wise-cracking to relieve their tension. They all stole frequent glances at her full, erotic body. Despite having had unlimited opportunity last night to enjoy her charms, Barbara still captivated them.

Last edited:
It was early to be out and about. Though the summer day promised oppressive heat later, the pre-dawn air was fresh and cool, allowing the Quaestor to hurry on his way.
Lucius Piso had received a peremptory summons ad Villa Praesidis (to the Governor’s palace). He was sure that it was to discuss his note of the prior evening. He hurried up the Via Lata (Broadway) to its junction with Via Hercules (the name for the Via Domitia within Narbo. When the Romans laid out this first paved road in Gaul, they followed an even more ancient pathway that claimed to be the mythic route of Hercules). At the intersection, he spotted Marcus Claudius, headed the same way.

Ave, Marce, my esteemed friend,” Lucius said in greeting. “Are you headed my way?”
Ad Villa Praesidis?” responded the aristocrat in a dignified voice. Piso nodded. “Yes.”
“Let us go together then.”
“Do you know the pleasure that his excellency desires of our company so early in the morning?”
“I’m afraid I might.” replied the Quaestor. As they walked together, Piso explained the note he’s sent the Governor the prior evening.
“I see,” said Marcus. “As we are two of his Consigliarii Seniores (senior advisors), he is asking our counsel on that matter.”
"Indeed," agreed Lucius as the two came up to the grand entrance of the Villa. They hesitated for a moment and then Lucius grabbed the large iron ring in the lion's mouth and knocked.
View attachment 989604

The men untied and raised Barb to sitting on the bench. Her shoulders, arms, and legs screamed with pain from the many hours of enforced stretching. With some difficulty, she raised her hands to take the offered bowl of water. Greedily she sucked down the cool liquid to ease her parched mouth and throat. They offered several refills, and the girl drank her fill.
Her terrible ordeals of the last twenty hours had subdued much of the Goth’s natural rebelliousness. Now, surrounded by six strong soldiers who’d show a readiness to hurt her, she kept her resentment and hatred in check. Submissively, she looked up and whispered, “Cibus (food)?”
Several of the men laughed at her mournful request. Another, the one who doubted the justice of her treatment, said sadly, “No food this morning, parvula (little one). Before you could get nourishment from it, you would vomeres (vomit) it from the flagellando (whipping).”
The reference to future pain drove the girl’s ravenous hunger away, at least for the moment.

Thankful for a brief respite from torment and bondage, Barbara gingerly stretched her arms and legs to loosen her cramped joints and restore circulation. She noted that the rods' welts and the scratches from the animals had receded noticeably over the night. However, the deep bruises from the Optio's staff still pained her every move. She sat quietly and sipped on the last bowl of water she'd been given. Meanwhile, the guards stood around nervously, wise-cracking to relieve their tension. They all stole frequent glances at her full, erotic body. Despite having had unlimited opportunity last night to enjoy her charms, Barbara still captivated them.
Wonderful narrative ... the Goth Girl's torment is so comprehensive that I have never known any of Barb's incarnations be so silently submissive!

Wonderful narrative ... the Goth Girl's torment is so comprehensive that I have never known any of Barb's incarnations be so silently submissive!
Hang in there. We may see some feistiness reappear.

Galerius gulped down the remaining bread in his mouth and took a large swig of watered wine to help swallow the food and steady his nerves.
His father’s voice was low and steady, holding in his anger. The Praeses prided himself on his self-control. “When were you planning to tell me about this slave that you paid six thousand, seven hundred and fifty denarii of my money for?” asked Gaius.
“Actually, only half of that, pater,” croaked Galerius. “I forced the mercator to refund half the price after she was condemned to death.”
“Excellent! I’m glad to have spent ONLY,” the father paused, struggling to contain his emotion, “only thirty-four hundred on a slave who dies today! And, it is my understanding that the mercator offered the refund on his own.”
Shit, thought Galerius, how does he know that?
“But the generosity toward my house of a common slave trader does not explain why you would pay a fortune of my money for a slave girl, only to immediately insist on her execution.” Gaius gritted his teeth while speaking.
“But she tried to murder me, tata (daddy),” whined Galerius.
Antonious stared sadly at the sniveling mess in front of him. This was his only son. Twenty years old, seven years past donning the toga virilis (toga of manhood*) What was he to do?
Gaius tried to help his son understand his difficult situation. “As you can see there, fili, the Quaestor has asked whether I wish to endorse his sentence of death on this girl. In theory, only the Praeses of a provincia, may pronounce the death sentence. However, in his absence, as the last few days when I was traveling, another magistrate deputized to hold the sella curulis (curule seat - symbol of the imperium, command over life and death) may do so. Since I have returned before the sentence was carried out, Piso has cleverly chosen to dump the problem squarely in my lap. Do you have any suggestions?”

A soldier stuck his head in the entryway to the convivium, "It's past horam primam (7 AM). Wash down the lupam (she-wolf, whore, bitch – in this instance, probably all three were meant) and make her presentable. The guests will be arriving soon.”
The soldiers pulled Barbaria to her feet and over to a well in the corner of the room. There, they emptied bucket after bucket of water on her and scrubbed away the semen and dried blood. Most of her marks had faded with only the deep bruises still showing their damage. Nevertheless. Barb screamed every time they touched her pussy or anus.

“Well, uummm. I don’t really know, Pater. I’m not an expert in the law. But I can tell you,” his voice took on a high, shrill tone, “the Goth bitch tried to kill me. Me, the filium Praesidis! Doesn’t she deserve to die for that?”
Gaius wasn’t sure whether he should laugh or cry. “Do you honestly believe that this girl attempted to kill you? Or that she was capable of it?”
“I was scared, Pater,” said Galerius, almost crying himself. “I was so scared!”
Sic pervertitur Roma. (So Rome is overthrown)!” said the Praeses with infinite sadness.

The Promus (Butler) entered and announced, “Convivae vestri advenerunt (your guests have arrived).”

*toga virilis - white without any ornamentation. Worn only by Roman adult male citizens and only as formal wear, similar to a men’s full suit today. Prior to 13, boys and girls wore the toga praetexta, a purple fringed toga denoting childhood and inviolably. For example, it was considered a sacrilege to swear or use profanity in the presence of a child wearing the toga praetexta. At 13, boys would lay aside the toga of youth and don that toga virilis as a sign of manhood.

A surviving sella curulis, symbol of Imperium.
download.jpg

The "Court of Appeal"

Intrate, mei amici (Enter, my friends)!” said Gaius as he rose to greet his counselors. Strictly speaking, as Praeses, he was entitled to remain reclining when these lesser officers entered the room. But Gaius was always anxious to show respect to others. This behavior, in turn, earned him the respect of the powerful in Narbo, despite the embarrassing antics of his son.
Marce, mi care amice (my dear friend), please recumbe (recline) up here by me. Galerie, respectfully yield your place of honor to the Quaestor.”
The youth grudgingly arose to give his couch to Piso. After both aristocrats had been settled comfortably and been urged to partake of the fare, the Praeses broached the subject of the conclave.

Quaestor, you must know that your note of last night is the reason for our gathering. But I fear that Marcus is not aware of the situation.”
“But, I am, Praeses," said the elder. Lucius and I met on the way, and he explained it thoroughly."
“Excellent,” replied the Governor. “Then we can get right down to the issue. I trust it will be acceptable to you if meus filius remains since he was so directly involved in this affair.”
Both gentlemen politely nodded agreement.
“Now then. It seems that question facing us, well, really me, (Gaius said the last with an accusatory glance at his son), is whether we should go ahead with the sentence of crucifixio for the Goth girl, this Barbaria, or show clemency?”
“You have summarized the issue perfectly, Praeses,” said Piso.
"That is precisely what must be decided," agreed Claudius.
“Fine,” said the Governor, “Let us start by laying out the arguments pro et con for showing clemency.”

“All the argument that you need,” burst out Galerius, sounding like a petulant child, “is that the German bitch tried to murder me! If I hadn’t been so adept at defending myself, she might...”
A withering stare and a raised hand from his father silenced the lad.
My apologies, amici, I have animum affectiōnis (a sentimental weakness) for my son, and I spoil him, as you can see. He talks when he should listen. Galerius, you will only speak here if spoken to."
"That is quite alright, Gaius," said Piso in an understanding tone. "The boy has a point. This slave girl was seen to attack her master in public violently. Such behavior by a slave must be dealt with most severely if we are to maintain our safety."
"I agree," added Marcus. "However, subjecting the young woman to a partial Poena Cullei, an overnight gang rape by our soldiers, and a full flogging today- is not a ‘light’ punishment.”
“Excellently stated, consiliarie.” agreed the Governor.
"Also," continued Claudius, "if I may point out to your excellency, it is a terrible waste to cut off the life of such a young and valuable slave if not necessary. Have you met the young woman?”
“No, though my money bought her.” Another look of annoyance at his son.
“You really should see her, especially if she is going to die. She is a beautiful young woman. There is a certain defiant air to her that is haunting. I bid far more than I intended for her. She possesses a depth of sensuality so often lacking in most slavegirls.”
“Or most women of any status, for that matter!" added Piso, with a chuckle. I, also, was captivated by her charms and offered an extravagant amount."
"I see," said the Praeses. He glanced at his son. If these mature men with sound judgment got carried away bidding for the Goth beauty, he could appreciate somewhat his boy's fervor.

"That reminds me," Lucius continued, "This morning, I received a missive from the Mercator, offering to repurchase her after her scourging for the remainder of the purchase price."
“That is most generous of him,” said Gaius, thinking of how this would save him from any loss on the affair. The opportunity to retrieve the money wasted away by his son was tempting.
"That is a generous and tempting offer," agreed Claudius. The three sat in silence for a moment, considering the arguments already advanced. These men were all cautious and conservative. They did not rush to a judgment.
After a minute, Marcus spoke again, "We must also consider one other, critical factor."

Last edited:
The "Court of Appeal"

Intrate, mei amici (Enter, my friends)!” said Gaius as he rose to greet his counselors. Strictly speaking, as Praeses, he was entitled to remain reclining when these lesser officers entered the room. But Gaius was always anxious to show respect to others. This behavior, in turn, earned him the respect of the powerful in Narbo, despite the embarrassing antics of his son.
Marce, mi care amice (my dear friend), please recumbe (recline) up here by me. Galerie, respectfully yield your place of honor to the Quaestor.”
The youth grudgingly arose to give his couch to Piso. After both aristocrats had been settled comfortably and been urged to partake of the fare, the Praeses broached the subject of the conclave.

Quaestor, you must know that your note of last night is the reason for our gathering. But I fear that Marcus is not aware of the situation.”
“But, I am, Praeses," said the elder. Lucius and I met on the way, and he explained it thoroughly."
“Excellent,” replied the Governor. “Then we can get right down to the issue. I trust it will be acceptable to you if meus filius remains since he was so directly involved in this affair.”
“Now then. It seems that question facing us, well, really me, (Gaius said the last with an accusatory glance at his son), is whether we should go ahead with the sentence of crucifixio for the Goth girl, this Barbaria, or show clemency?”
“Fine,” said the Governor, “Let us start by laying out the arguments pro et con for showing clemency.”

“All the argument that you need,” burst out Galerius, sounding like a petulant child, “is that the German bitch tried to murder me! If I hadn’t been so adept at defending myself, she might...”
My apologies, amici, I have animum affectiōnis (a sentimental weakness) for my son, and I spoil him, as you can see. He talks when he should listen. Galerius, you will only speak here if spoken to."
"That is quite alright, Gaius," said Piso in an understanding tone. "The boy has a point. This slave girl was seen to attack her master in public violently. Such behavior by a slave must be dealt with most severely if we are to maintain our safety."
"I agree," added Marcus. "However, subjecting the young woman to a partial Poena Cullei, an overnight gang rape by our soldiers, and a full flogging today- is not a ‘light’ punishment.”
“Excellently stated, consiliari.” agreed the Governor.
"Also," continued Claudius, "if I may point out to your excellency, it is a terrible waste to cut off the life of such a young and valuable slave if not necessary. Have you met the young woman?”
“You really should see her, especially if she is going to die. She is a beautiful young woman. There is a certain defiant air to her that is haunting. I bid far more than I intended for her. She possesses a depth of sensuality so often lacking in most slavegirls.”
“Or most women of any status, for that matter!" added Piso, with a chuckle. I, also, was captivated by her charms and offered an extravagant amount."
"I see," said the Praeses. He glanced at his son. If these mature men with sound judgment got carried away bidding for the Goth beauty, he could appreciate somewhat his boy's fervor.

"That reminds me," Lucius continued, "This morning, I received a missive from the Mercator, offering to repurchase her after her scourging for the remainder of the purchase price."
“That is most generous of him,” said Gaius, thinking of how this would save him from any loss on the affair. The opportunity to retrieve the money wasted away by his son was tempting.
"That is a generous and tempting offer," agreed Claudius. The three sat in silence for a moment, considering the arguments already advanced. These men were all cautious and conservative. They did not rush to a judgment.
After a minute, Marcus spoke again, "We must also consider one other, critical factor."
Another cliffhanger.....lol.
Good work, so far Pr Pr..... :)

Well done sir, great stuff. I do note with interest the offer to purchase her is only after the scourging!

Is someone finally listening to my reasons why slow torture is more enticing than a “quick” crucifixion? Barb has been treated brutally and will relish her enslavement all the more fully after a terrible scourging! Make her suffer, she faces years of despair if permitted the great privileges of enthrallment. I’m sure Barb will show the proper gratitude befitting a whipped slave... After all, she can still be crucified later, after years of humiliation and degradation, .as befits her lowliest status!

Last edited:
The "Court of Appeal"

“Excellently stated, consiliarie.” agreed the Governor.

Just when we thought the Goth slut was possibly going to get away with a thorough scourging (is there any other kind?), this happens ... "After a minute, Marcus spoke again, "We must also consider one other, critical factor." - so what now?

The "Court of Appeal"
Of course, those who have read Singapore III know Barbara's track record with appeals courts.
if I may point out to your excellency, it is a terrible waste to cut off the life of such a young and valuable slave if not necessary. You really should see her, especially if she is going to die. She is a beautiful young woman. There is a certain defiant air to her that is haunting. I bid far more than I intended for her. She possesses a depth of sensuality so often lacking in most slavegirls.
That's our Barb.
Is someone finally listening to my reasons why slow torture is more enticing than a “quick” crucifixion?
Loin, no one, and I mean no one has ever accused me of writing too quickly!
Just when we thought the Goth slut was possibly going to get away with a thorough scourging
Don't jump to conclusions. Let's see what Marcus Claudius has to say.

Time to focus on that lovely atrium in the castra.

Barbaria was sitting on the bench, still wet and shivering in the early morning cool.
ma-142280-WEB.jpg
The same man as before looked in, “Time for the bitch to face the pila verberis." The girl now also shivered in fear at that announcement as two men pulled her to her feet. They tightly wrapped a tiny lumbare (loincloth) around Barbaria's middle and attached heavy iron manacles with strong rings on her wrists and ankles, but, strangely, no chains.
The six men took up their places surrounding the one small girl and began moving her toward the doorway. Bright morning sunlight streamed in. The sight did not cheer Barbaria but only made her think of the terrors that the day would hold for her.

Shortly after hora prima (7 AM), the invited guests had begun to arrive at Narbo's ancient castra. First at the gate were Tertius Aemilius and Septimus Silva. Silva had started them early, worrying about Tertius’s walking speed. However, the old man seemed to have a new lightness and vigor in his step as he chattered on about his outstanding performance of the day before. These two proved to be the first arrivals. Soldiers attending the entrance welcomed them and showed the two to seats in the shade of the portico with a fine view of the atrium.
A short while later, Marcus Lycus appeared and greeted Septimus and Tertius. He directed his seat to be placed right beside the old man. The three engaged in a lively discussion of their enjoyment of the Goth's body on the previous day and her anticipated punishment this day. Tertius seemed reluctant to address in detail the bloody chastisement ahead but waxed rhapsodic over the charms of the Goth.
“You young men might not know that I’ve been around quite a long time and that I’ve always taken a healthy interest in pretty, young girls,” said Aemilus. Both the others chuckled and agreed. 'Old Slave’s' infatuation with nubile female flesh was well known.
"I must say that in all those years, I do not recall ever laying eyes on a girl as lovely and sexy as this Barbaria. Her full and firm body and her feisty attitude seem perfectly formed to captivate a male." The two agreed wholeheartedly. This Goth was indeed, they stated, a rare find.
A little after the half-hour, Quaestor Piso and Marcus Claudius entered together. The two grandees came and greeted the three with admirable condescension and then and took the central seats of status.

The last to arrive was Galerius Corvus* Antonious, riding in a litter chair with four large, sweating, and panting porters. The rotund young man exited clumsily, kicking at, but missing one of the slaves and cursing them, "Pigri nothi (Lazy bastards)! You’ve made me late.” Ignoring the other citizens who were apparently beneath his status to acknowledge, he waddled over to where Piso and Claudius were seated and greeted them.
“So good to see you again, mei domini. I am sorry that my slaves were so lazy in bringing me here.” He then ordered the soldiers to set his chair beside the Quaestor.

When the guests were all seated, servants came around, offering chilled goblets of Mulsum, a mixture of watered wine and honey to wash away the ever-present dust.
As the others sipped this morning refreshment, Galerius drained his whole goblet in one swig and held it up for a refill.
Marcus asked, “Galerius, did your pater say anything more about his decision?”
“No,” said the youth between gulps of the sweet wine. “He just repeated that when the gotha lupa (goth bitch) was brought to the arena before him, he would announce her fate.”
“So we are to be kept in tantalizing uncertainty until then?” said Piso. “At least we have a delicious flagelli caedi (scourging – lit. cutting of the whip) to look forward to.”
“Most tantalizing,” Galerius agreed before waving to a servant, “Here, sentina (scum) refill my goblet!”
Lucius and Marcus exchanged a wordless look.

* Galerius' middle name appears to harken back to the cognomen ex virtute (a surname derived from some virtuous or heroic episode attributed to the bearer, often a conquered country). Many of these have come down to us such as Coriolanus, Regillensis, Africanus, Germanicus, and Britannicus. The first Roman known to bear this form of name was Marcus Valerius Maximus Corvus (c. 370 – c. 270 BC). When the lad was 21, he served in the Legions on the campaign against the Gauls of northern Italy. A gigantic Gallic warrior came out and challenged the Romans to single-man-to-man combat. Young Marcus accepted the challenge (yes, it does sound a lot like David and Goliath). With the help of a raven (Latin - Corvus) Marcus defeated and killed the Gaul, a great victory was won, and he was given the cognomen ex virtute, Corvus. Marcus went on to be elected Consul of Rome six times, Dictator twice, and occupied the sella curulis (curule chair, the symbol of a senior magistrate holding imperium (high command)) a total of twenty-one times.
Apparently, when Galerius’s parents had named him, they had hoped he would possess the same kind of mettle.

Looking around the atrium, Corvus asked, “Quaestor. I thought the entire garrison was to flog the bitch. Are there even thirty men here?”
“I was thinking the same,” said Piso. “Calixtus, is this a complete muster?”
“All of those present in the praesidio, Quaestor. Thirty men were sent out very early this morning toward the Goth village north of here. I was informed of a possible disturbance there. Given the lawlessness of the barbarians, I was reluctant to risk a smaller group.”
“Outrageous!” cried Galerius in a high voice. “how dare…”
“A moment, domine (lord),” interrupted Piso, holding his hand up to the iuventutem. “I shall handle this. Centurio, how many does that leave?”
“Including myself and my Optio, thirty-four. We are but an understaffed praesidio, you do understand.”
“You cannot let this happen!” shouted Galerius. “It is seditio (insubordination)! The Centurio is defying your sentence!”
Mi domine (my lord)," Lucius spoke softly through gritted teeth. "I cannot fault our military leadership for taking action to keep us safe. Not will I second guess his judgment as to the safest number to use. As far as concerns the girl's sentence, there was no number specified, simply that the entire garrison would flog her.”
Galerius started to object again, but Calixtus cut him off. "Perhaps, Quaestor, we could allow the civilians present to have a stroke each if they wish, and that brings it up to forty, a good sound beating.”
“Excellent suggestion, Centurio! Forty stokes it will be – and that’s the end of it.”
Galerius gave a hummph and pouted.
“If I may, Quaestor, there is another consideration," Calixtus asked.
“Yes.”
“Several of my men have expressed reluctance about beating a tied and helpless girl. They might deliver half-blows. And lining up over thirty men will be time-consuming. Besides, I know at least one of the civilians (he gave a surreptitious tilt of his head at Aemilius), who may be too weak or soft-hearted to strike a full blow. Given the reduced total number, this might seem an unjust reduction of the total sentence.” He bowed slightly to Antonious, who grunted agreement.
“I see what you mean, Centurio. What do you suggest?”
“Let me pick two strong men from my company to administer all thirty-four strokes for the militibus. And you pick one of yours to deliver your six for the civibus (citizens).”
“Excellent suggestion, Calixtus!” crowed the Quaestor. He turned to Galerius. “Antonious. Since you are so concerned about the girl getting proper punishment, I give you all six...no wait; I give you ten strokes to chastise her.” Piso smiled as he thought how this would play out.
The lad came out of his funk, smiled, and rubbed his hands in sadist joy. He then called for another goblet of Mulsum.

A moment later, there was movement at the other end of the atrium, and all turned to see the Goth girl emerge. All other thoughts were erased as her desirable body captivated one and all.

Looking around the atrium, Corvus asked, “Quaestor. I thought the entire garrison was to flog the bitch. Are there even thirty men here?”
“All of those present in the praesidio, Quaestor. Thirty men were sent out very early this morning toward the Goth village north of here. I was informed of a possible disturbance there. Given the lawlessness of the barbarians, I was reluctant to risk a smaller group.”
“A moment, domine (lord),” interrupted Piso, holding his hand up to the iuventutem. “I shall handle this. Centurio, how many does that leave?”
“Including myself and my Optio, thirty-four. We are but an understaffed praesidio, you do understand.”
“You cannot let this happen!” shouted Galerius. “It is seditio (insubordination)! The Centurio is defying your sentence!”
Mi domine (my lord)," Lucius spoke softly through gritted teeth. "I cannot fault our military leadership for taking action to keep us safe. Not will I second guess his judgment as to the safest number to use. As far as concerns the girl's sentence, there was no number specified, simply that the entire garrison would flog her.”
Galerius started to object again, but Calixtus cut him off. "Perhaps, Quaestor, we could allow the civilians present to have a stroke each if they wish, and that brings it up to forty, a good sound beating.”
“Excellent suggestion, Centurio! Forty stokes it will be – and that’s the end of it.”
“Yes.”
“Several of my men have expressed reluctance about beating a tied and helpless girl. They might deliver half-blows. And lining up over thirty men will be time-consuming. Besides, I know at least one of the civilians (he gave a surreptitious tilt of his head at Aemilius), who may be too weak or soft-hearted to strike a full blow. Given the reduced total number, this might seem an unjust reduction of the total sentence.” He bowed slightly to Antonious, who grunted agreement.
“Let me pick two strong men from my company to administer all thirty-four strokes for the militibus. And you pick one of yours to deliver your six for the civibus (citizens).”
“Excellent suggestion, Calixtus!” crowed the Quaestor. He turned to Galerius. “Antonious. Since you are so concerned about the girl getting proper punishment, I give you all six...no wait; I give you ten strokes to chastise her.” Piso smiled as he thought how this would play out.
The lad came out of his funk, smiled, and rubbed his hands in sadist joy. He then called for another goblet of Mulsum.

A moment later, there was movement at the other end of the atrium, and all turned to see the Goth girl emerge. All other thoughts were erased as her desirable body captivated one and all.
What a way to celebrate International Flog-a-Visigoth week :p Great storytelling Praetorio

“Yes.”

I can think of a more worthy candidate for a flogging and crucifixion....and it isn't the lovely Barbara... ;)

After a moment, an idea occurred to the Centurion. He turned to his desk and wrote a short order on a wax tablet. He summoned the soldier on duty outside his quarters and told him to take it to the Optio.
Calixtus lay down on his thinly-padded crabato (pallet). He wondered how Galerius would take the news in the morning. Not well, he thought. Then Gaius smiled broadly, rolled onto his side, and swiftly fell into a deep sleep
Clever little move on Gaius Calixtus' part wasn't it?;)

“Yes.”

Six of the best from each of the 30 on a full muster, and we would have had a flogging to rival that of Laura Berkeley around the fleet - But I guess we need to remain cognisant of the fact that the Goth slut has an impending crucifixion! Lucky for her that she does, otherwise I sense the whipping would have been a lot more severe!

Back
Top Bottom