The Fate of the Gotham Goth Girl, or Stan Goldman's First Case

Go to CruxDreams.com

windar

Teller of Tales
“Barb, you’ve gone BATS!” Stan exclaimed as he watched his former detective partner and now life partner pacing back and forth across their living room.
Madiosi-2021-068-Stan and Barb.jpg
She stopped. “Burned at the stake?” she asked, looking shocked.

“Heaven forbid, Moore! You know I like my steaks medium rare.”

She glared at him. “Not funny, Goldman. But then you rarely are as funny as you think you are. Sorta like your pal Seinfeld.”

“Whatever,” he replied nonchalantly. “But I mean you’re batty, like the birds.”

“They’re not birds, Stan. They’re mammals. Flying mammals. And they’re where that nasty virus came from. And a bunch of other nasty viruses, too.”

“Yeah, I know all that. But your idea of going to China to look into the beginnings of the outbreak is batty, Barb.”

“Why not, Stan? We’re detectives after all. We solve mysteries. We can write a book afterwards and make some money, which we could use, by the way.”

“We don’t know anything about virology, Barb. And we don’t speak Chinese.”

“We were in Wuhan a few years ago,” she replied. “On that book tour for the Crux Murders book. Have you forgotten? Do we need to up the dose of those jellyfish pills?”

“Yes, Barb, I remember. We spent maybe 24 hours there. They took us to that great seafood restaurant in the market, we signed books at a bookstore and then we flew to Shanghai. That hardly qualifies us as experts. Let’s leave it to Fauci. He’s a Brooklyn boy like yours truly, only way smarter.”

“A rock is way smarter than you, Goldman,” she said.

“Very funny, Moore. But what exactly would you do there in Wuhan?”

Barb struck a sexy pose. “What I do everywhere, Stan. Use my feminine wiles. Conduct a little sexpionage.”

“Sexpionage? What the fuck is that?”

“You know, maybe seduce someone from that Virology Institute there. Get the inside dope.”

“I seem to recall that the head there is a woman. They call her ‘The Bat Lady’. Not that that would stop you, I suppose.” Stan knew that Barb played for both teams and that didn’t bother him. It kind of turned him on in fact, though he had still not had the threesome with Barb and another woman that he dreamed of.

“Yeah and those skills of mine were very useful in that case of the suicide hanging cult.”

“True,” Stan admitted. “And in busting that sex ring in the prison.”

Barb smiled as she always did when Stan admitted she might have a point. “So, we go over to China and poke around. Maybe we find out something, maybe we don’t. We’re both vaccinated and people are travelling again, but we’re still sitting here like a couple of stick-in-the-muds.”

“I don’t mind travelling, Barb. A nice quiet island in the Caribbean could be just the ticket. Sun, sand, bikinis…”

“It’s hurricane season now, Goldman.”

“So, there should be some great deals down there. I saw an ad for some place called Providencia that I never heard of before. It looked lovely.”

“Let’s save it for the winter, Goldman.”

“Sure, darling, whatever you say. Just come and sit down,” Stan said, patting the seat on the sofa beside where he sat. “Your pacing is making me nuts. I’ll tell you about the first case I ever worked on-The Gotham Goth Girl.”

“OK, Stan, but let me get a glass of Reisling.”

“Fine. And bring me a beer while you’re in there, would you?”

***​

Soon, Barb was nestled beside Stan on the sofa. He had to admit that her hair smelled nice. As did the rest of her. He laid his hand on her bare thigh, her shorts having ridden up as she plunked her tight little on the couch.

“Save the monkey business for later, Goldman,” Barb told him, removing his hand and placing it on the cushion next to her leg. “I want to hear your story in all its gory details.”

Stan took a sip of his beer and began. “I was a newly minted detective. Out of plainclothes for about a week, when the call came in. A young female was found in an alleyway in the South Bronx, not too far from the Temple.” The Temple was what Stan called Yankee Stadium, home of his beloved team, though the way they were playing this year, “Dumpster Fire Pit” might be more appropriate.

He continued. “Our Chief back then was an old-school Irish cop type, Patrick McGinty. Nothing like Reggie.”

“Not too many like Reggie in the NYPD,” Barb said. Reggie was Reginald Jones, the Chief of Detectives during the time Stan and Barb had worked together on the Force.

“Certainly not back then,” Stan added. They had both respected Reggie immensely. After all, he had saved their lives when those Russian sex traffickers had kidnapped them and were going to kill Stan and throw him overboard and sell Barb into slavery in the Middle East.

“Anyway, McGinty had called out, ‘Goldman, Croce! This one is right up your alley!’ Croce was my partner back then, before I was paired with Dick Leary. Benedetto Croce, or Benny as we called him.”

“Hmm!“ Barb said, looking a bit doubtful. “I seem to remember that name from one of my college courses. You aren’t making all this up, Stan, are you? ”

“I swear on my mother’s grave, Barb. But, Benny would always say whenever anybody asked him , ‘I’m no relation to the famous Benedetto Croce.’”

Barb drained her glass and went to the kitchen for a refill. “I have a feeling this will be a two glass story,” she said when she returned. Stan’s beer glass was still half full. Or maybe half empty. Who can say?

“Maybe even a three glass one,” Stan said. “So we pull up to the alley. There are about five or six uniforms there, surrounding the body of a young woman. Late teens, maybe early twenties, by the look of her.”

“Don’t tell me. She was naked, right?”

“Such a dirty mind, Moore,” Stan said. “We’ll have to deal with that later. But actually, she was fully clothed. In Goth regalia. All black. A sort of Victorian dress with lace cuffs and a lace collar. Full length, with very little skin showing. Combat-type boots. Her face was heavily made up with piercings all over-ears, nose, cheeks, tongue. Just like you, Moore.”
death-come-gothic-girl-dead-dark-art-S96O.jpg
Barb punched Stan in the arm. “Asshole! You know I can’t stand piercings. Nor tats either. Even in prison, I didn’t get any.”

“I know that. Just yankin’ your chain, which is like taking candy from a baby,” Stan replied. “Did you ever know any Goths?”

“Yeah, there were some in my high school in Minnesota, but I didn’t hang out with them,” Barb replied.

“Of course not. You were in the library studying, Moore. I was in high school before that time. We had just the beginnings of punk. The Ramones, you ever hear of them?”

“Vaguely,” Barb replied. “They were before my time.”

“They sort of started punk, along with a few others. They were from Queens, but I forgive them. Songs like ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll High School ‘, ‘I Wanna Be Sedated’ and ‘Sheena Is a Punk Rocker’. Which is interesting because that turned out to be the victim’s name, though it took us a hell of a lot of work to find that out.”

“So this girl was a Goth. Was that relevant to the murder?”

“Actually, it was,” Stan replied. “But let’s not get ahead of the story. The first thought was accidental drug overdose. Then Benny saw the marks on her neck.”

“That was observant of him,” Barb said. “You, of course, missed them. Were you concentrating too hard on your donut?”

“Very funny, Moore. I saw them, too. Benny just got the words out before I did. Anyway, the ME was clear the death was from strangulation. Surprisingly, the girl had no drugs on the tox screen.”

“And this wasn’t a suicide like our Amanda Berger? One where she had some help.”

“Nope,” Stan replied, cryptically. “But I’m getting hungry. What do you want for dinner? And if you say ‘burnt steak’ we’ll be paying a visit to the basement for a tenderizing of your tight little.”

Barb looked at Stan with a mix of fear and desire. “How about Chinese?” she said.

“As long as it’s within 10 miles of here and not in Wuhan, you’re on. I’ll continue the story after.”

Last edited by a moderator:
“Barb, you’ve gone BATS!” Stan exclaimed as he watched his former detective partner and now life partner pacing back and forth across their living room.

She stopped. “Burned at the stake?” she asked, looking shocked.

“Heaven forbid, Moore! You know I like my steaks medium rare.”

She glared at him. “Not funny, Goldman. But then you rarely are as funny as you think you are. Sorta like your pal Seinfeld.”

“Whatever,” he replied nonchalantly. “But I mean you’re batty, like the birds.”

“They’re not birds, Stan. They’re mammals. Flying mammals. And they’re where that nasty virus came from. And a bunch of other nasty viruses, too.”

“Yeah, I know all that. But your idea of going to China to look into the beginnings of the outbreak is batty, Barb.”

“Why not, Stan? We’re detectives after all. We solve mysteries. We can write a book afterwards and make some money, which we could use, by the way.”

“We don’t know anything about virology, Barb. And we don’t speak Chinese.”

“We were in Wuhan a few years ago,” she replied. “On that book tour for the Crux Murders book. Have you forgotten? Do we need to up the dose of those jellyfish pills?”

“Yes, Barb, I remember. We spent maybe 24 hours there. They took us to that great seafood restaurant in the market, we signed books at a bookstore and then we flew to Shanghai. That hardly qualifies us as experts. Let’s leave it to Fauci. He’s a Brooklyn boy like yours truly, only way smarter.”

“Very funny, Moore. But what exactly would you do there in Wuhan?”

Barb struck a sexy pose. “What I do everywhere, Stan. Use my feminine wiles. Conduct a little sexpionage.”

“Sexpionage? What the fuck is that?”

“You know, maybe seduce someone from that Virology Institute there. Get the inside dope.”

“I seem to recall that the head there is a woman. They call her ‘The Bat Lady’. Not that that would stop you, I suppose.” Stan knew that Barb played for both teams and that didn’t bother him. It kind of turned him on in fact, though he had still not had the threesome with Barb and another woman that he dreamed of.

“Yeah and those skills of mine were very useful in that case of the suicide hanging cult.”

“True,” Stan admitted. “And in busting that sex ring in the prison.”

Barb smiled as she always did when Stan admitted she might have a point. “So, we go over to China and poke around. Maybe we find out something, maybe we don’t. We’re both vaccinated and people are travelling again, but we’re still sitting here like a couple of stick-in-the-muds.”

“I don’t mind travelling, Barb. A nice quiet island in the Caribbean could be just the ticket. Sun, sand, bikinis…”

“It’s hurricane season now, Goldman.”

“So, there should be some great deals down there. I saw an ad for some place called Providencia that I never heard of before. It looked lovely.”

“Let’s save it for the winter, Goldman.”

“Sure, darling, whatever you say. Just come and sit down,” Stan said, patting the seat on the sofa beside where he sat. “Your pacing is making me nuts. I’ll tell you about the first case I ever worked on-The Gotham Goth Girl.”

“OK, Stan, but let me get a glass of Reisling.”

“Fine. And bring me a beer while you’re in there, would you?”

***​

Soon, Barb was nestled beside Stan on the sofa. He had to admit that her hair smelled nice. As did the rest of her. He laid his hand on her bare thigh, her shorts having ridden up as she plunked her tight little on the couch.

“Save the monkey business for later, Goldman,” Barb told him, removing his hand and placing it on the cushion next to her leg. “I want to hear your story in all its gory details.”

Stan took a sip of his beer and began. “I was a newly minted detective. Out of plainclothes for about a week, when the call came in. A young female was found in an alleyway in the South Bronx, not too far from the Temple.” The Temple was what Stan called Yankee Stadium, home of his beloved team, though the way they were playing this year, “Dumpster Fire Pit” might be more appropriate.

He continued. “Our Chief back then was an old-school Irish cop type, Patrick McGinty. Nothing like Reggie.”

“Not too many like Reggie in the NYPD,” Barb said. Reggie was Reginald Jones, the Chief of Detectives during the time Stan and Barb had worked together on the Force.

“Certainly not back then,” Stan added. They had both respected Reggie immensely. After all, he had saved their lives when those Russian sex traffickers had kidnapped them and were going to kill Stan and throw him overboard and sell Barb into slavery in the Middle East.

“Anyway, McGinty had called out, ‘Goldman, Croce! This one is right up your alley!’ Croce was my partner back then, before I was paired with Dick Leary. Benedetto Croce, or Benny as we called him.”

“Hmm!“ Barb said, looking a bit doubtful. “I seem to remember that name from one of my college courses. You aren’t making all this up, Stan, are you? ”

“I swear on my mother’s grave, Barb. But, Benny would always say whenever anybody asked him , ‘I’m no relation to the famous Benedetto Croce.’”

Barb drained her glass and went to the kitchen for a refill. “I have a feeling this will be a two glass story,” she said when she returned. Stan’s beer glass was still half full. Or maybe half empty. Who can say?

“Maybe even a three glass one,” Stan said. “So we pull up to the alley. There are about five or six uniforms there, surrounding the body of a young woman. Late teens, maybe early twenties, by the look of her.”

“Don’t tell me. She was naked, right?”

“Such a dirty mind, Moore,” Stan said. “We’ll have to deal with that later. But actually, she was fully clothed. In Goth regalia. All black. A sort of Victorian dress with lace cuffs and a lace collar. Full length, with very little skin showing. Combat-type boots. Her face was heavily made up with piercings all over-ears, nose, cheeks, tongue. Just like you, Moore.”

Barb punched Stan in the arm. “Asshole! You know I can’t stand piercings. Nor tats either. Even in prison, I didn’t get any.”

“I know that. Just yankin’ your chain, which is like taking candy from a baby,” Stan replied. “Did you ever know any Goths?”

“Yeah, there were some in my high school in Minnesota, but I didn’t hang out with them,” Barb replied.

“Of course not. You were in the library studying, Moore. I was in high school before that time. We had just the beginnings of punk. The Ramones, you ever hear of them?”

“Vaguely,” Barb replied. “They were before my time.”

“They sort of started punk, along with a few others. They were from Queens, but I forgive them. Songs like ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll High School ‘, ‘I Wanna Be Sedated’ and ‘Sheena Is a Punk Rocker’. Which is interesting because that turned out to be the victim’s name, though it took us a hell of a lot of work to find that out.”

“So this girl was a Goth. Was that relevant to the murder?”

“Actually, it was,” Stan replied. “But let’s not get ahead of the story. The first thought was accidental drug overdose. Then Benny saw the marks on her neck.”

“That was observant of him,” Barb said. “You, of course, missed them. Were you concentrating too hard on your donut?”

“Very funny, Moore. I saw them, too. Benny just got the words out before I did. Anyway, the ME was clear the death was from strangulation. Surprisingly, the girl had no drugs on the tox screen.”

“And this wasn’t a suicide like our Amanda Berger? One where she had some help.”

“Nope,” Stan replied, cryptically. “But I’m getting hungry. What do you want for dinner? And if you say ‘burnt steak’ we’ll be paying a visit to the basement for a tenderizing of your tight little.”

Barb looked at Stan with a mix of fear and desire. “How about Chinese?” she said.

“As long as it’s within 10 miles of here and not in Wuhan, you’re on. I’ll continue the story after.”
A lovely start. Touches briefly on all the hot topics before settling on what seems, so far, a run-of-the-mill murder. Can't wait to see where it goes. Even if the title is a shameless effort to profit from reference to my great work! :D

“Barb, you’ve gone BATS!” Stan exclaimed
https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/barb-goes-bats.8930/. ;):popcorn:

:rolleyes:

:duke:
He laid his hand on her bare thigh, her shorts having ridden up as she plunked her tight little on the couch.

Watch it fellah!!!! :mad:

What do you want for dinner? And if you say ‘burnt steak’ we’ll be paying a visit to the basement for a tenderizing of your tight little.”

:facepalm:

“But I mean you’re batty, like the birds.”

“They’re not birds, Stan. They’re mammals. Flying mammals
Leviticus chapter 11 verses 13 -19 agreed with Stan, not Barb!

“These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.”

So remember kids, if someone offers you a barbecued cormorant-burger or an osprey on toast, just say no…

“These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.”

So remember kids, if someone offers you a barbecued cormorant-burger or an osprey on toast, just say no…
I can't speak for owls and cormorants, but given the recent history of SARS-1 and 2, MERS, probably EBOLA and others, the biblical advice regarding eating bats isn't so silly. And Stan would know Leviticus better than Barb. Just don't test him on any of that new-fangled testament stuff, like crucifixions and resurrections and the like...

Just don't test him on any of that new-fangled testament stuff, like crucifixions and resurrections and the like...
Such a pity to have to miss all that really good and entertaining stuff, and be left with just the who begat who, floods, calamities and exiles stuff.

I can't speak for owls and cormorants, but given the recent history of SARS-1 and 2, MERS, probably EBOLA and others, the biblical advice regarding eating bats isn't so silly. And Stan would know Leviticus better than Barb. Just don't test him on any of that new-fangled testament stuff, like crucifixions and resurrections and the like...
Don't tell that to Ozzy
og_og_1585019374283935781.jpg

A quick diversion: Most know that New York City is called "Gotham City" in the Batman comics, movies and TV shows (there is that mammal/bird/burnt steak again). But the term long predates the first Batman comic, which appeared in 1940. In fact, the first to apply the term to NYC was Washington Irving, the renowned author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip van Winkle.

Gotham was taken from the village of Gotham (or goat's home in Old English) in Nottinghamshire, which was the subject of old folktales regarding how the villagers pretended to be simple goat herders to escape from the predations of evil King John.

In using the term for New York, Irving was portraying it, tongue-in-cheek, as a place populated by simple rubes (he was foreseeing Stan Goldman, one could suppose).

Last edited:
Gotham was taken from the village of Gotham (or goat's home in Old English) in Nottinghamshire, which was the subject of old folktales regarding how the villagers pretended to be simple goat herders to escape from the predations of evil King John.
How far is that from the @Wragg family’s ancestral seat at Cruxton?

All very interesting.. but what we really want to know is: will we be seeing Barb squeezing her tight little into a slinky bat-girl costume before the end of this story?
View attachment 1028417

I don’t do slinky!!! :spank::spank:

death-come-gothic-girl-dead-dark-art-S96O.jpg

View attachment 1028436
qqwwfgfqy.png

Although the restaurant was in a strip mall, sandwiched between a tattoo parlor and a chain sandwich shop named after a form of mass transit that Stan had mostly avoided when he had lived in the city, it was very good. Neither bat not burnt steak was on the menu.

It had been recommended to them by Charlie Yang, the Medical Examiner with whom they had worked on their famous cases, shortly before they had both retired from the Department. Charlie knew the owner, who had a run a first-rate restaurant in Flushing, Queens, before moving up the river a couple of years ago, like Stan and Barb had done.

Now, their bucolic rural retreat was being inundated with refugees from the City. That had its good points-their house was worth close to twice what they had paid for it, at least according to the realtors who stuffed their mailbox with flyers and their answering machine with impassioned pleas that in case they were thinking of selling, they had a passel of eager buyers desperate to plunk down cash on the table, or under it if the circumstances dictated.

Of course, the downside of that was that a lot of ordinary local working stiffs couldn’t afford to buy houses and were relegated to a few trailer parks hidden off the highway like a relative whose family didn’t want to acknowledge them. Stan remembered talking briefly last summer to a young woman who worked at the gas station/convenience store near their house. Her name was Tara or Trixie, something like that. He hadn’t seen her there recently.

Another bad point of the local boom was that the restaurant was crowded and they had to wait for a table. Fortunately, as regulars there and at least semi-famous from their Batman and Batgirl-like crime-fighting exploits, they were given the first table that became available, before Stan could even tease Barb about the Seinfeld episode where Jerry, George and Elaine had waited endlessly for a table in their local Chinese dining emporium.

Soon, they were seated and had ordered and the dishes began arriving. Stan picked up a shrimp with his chopsticks and smushed it around in the garlic sauce before holding it up. “You realize, Moore, that jumbo shrimp, like military intelligence, is a contradiction in terms.”
Madiosi-2021-069-Stan and Barb.jpg
Barb rolled her eyes as Stan popped the delectable crustacean in his mouth.

“Stop stalling and get on with the story, Goldman,” she exclaimed.

“”It’s really not that exciting. No crucifying for this Goth girl, just an everyday, garden-variety strangulation. I’ve probably dealt with a couple of dozen of those, not even including your close call.”

“Yeah, and it seemed to take you a suspiciously long-time to show up at that one, considering you were watching it all on video from the next room,” Barb said.

“Well, that’s what you get for hanging around with an old guy with bad knees, Moore. Anyway, where was I?”

“You don’t remember?” Barb cried. “That’s it we’re upping the dose of those jelly fish pills. Come on, the dead Goth girl is lying in the alley and?”

“And, the first problem was we had no clue who she was. No ID on her, of course. Just the Goth costume.”

“Well, that’s why they were paying you the big bucks, Goldman. You think murderers live to make it easy for dumb-ass cops? You said her name turned out to be Sheena, so you must have found out somehow in the end.”

“Of course, we did. But you have to remember this was years ago. The internet was in its infancy, mostly for academics to play around with. There was no facial identification technology. We couldn’t go on Facebook and let the algorithms figure it out for us.”

Barb nodded.

“Nor were there video cameras everywhere. Banks and government buildings and big stores and the like had them, but street corner ones were few and far between. They had them in Times Square and Downtown, but certainly not in the South Bronx.”

“Did your police car have no bottom so you could move it with your feet, like on the Flintstones?”

“Yeah, and we had saber tooth tigers instead of the K-9 corps. You’re a real riot, Moore. We had it tough, not like your generation.”

“Yes, Stan, you walked four miles each way to school, barefoot in the snow.” Barb was playing air violin as she said this. “And if you think getting crucified, hung, chained in a basement and made to fight Amazons in prison is having it easy, I have news for you.”

Stan nodded. “You do have a point there, Barb,” he admitted.

“So, poor Stan and Benny had to get off their butts and do some work to identify the victim.”

“Watch it, Moore, or you’ll be off your butt for a week or so,” Stan retorted. “Missing persons had nothing, not just our Department, but nowhere in the metro area. We sent her fingerprints to the FBI, but nada. We faxed her face all over the place and nobody knew her from Adam, or should I say Eve.”

“And you got nowhere canvassing the neighborhood, right?”

“Of course not. We were pretty sure she didn’t live around there-there wasn’t even a hint of gentrification in the South Bronx back then. But, we could hope someone saw the body being dumped.”

“And you didn’t hit the lotto, right?”

“I should be so lucky. We got the TV stations to run her photo, but only locally. A strangulation wasn’t news enough for national coverage. Now maybe if she’d been crucified…”

Stan continued, ”But, while that was going on, though, we did learn something interesting from the ME. The girl had marks on her tight little, which was almost probably tighter and littler than even yours, given how skinny to the point of malnourished she was, her back, thighs and tits.”

Barb raised her eyebrows. “By marks, you mean?”

“Yeah, just like a certain someone, though hers were harder to see with the tattoos. By the way, if you want one, we can go next door after dinner.”

Barb slugged Stan in the arm. “Not funny.”

“Anyway, it was clear that she had been playing with someone. We canvassed the BDSM clubs, but she must have been partying in private, because no one recognized her.”

“So, you’re an old hand at this Stan, and you never told me?” Barb asked, sounding a bit surprised.

“I didn’t say she was playing with me. It was just something to note that was very likely relevant to the crime. Honestly, I didn’t think that much about it at the time. I had a wife and kids and a career to worry about. Besides, she wasn’t my type. I go more for the clean, Midwestern type.”

Barb smiled. “And if you ever forget that, I’ll pour that whole bottle of jellyfish pills down your throat.”

By this point, they had finished their dinner. Stan was about to launch into how they had finally identified the victim, when the waiter approached and began clearing their plates. “You want take home?” the waiter asked.

“Sure,” Barb replied. “It’ll be a nice lunch for tomorrow”. He returned shortly with a bag full of take out containers along with the check. Stan was happy to pay it. It was a lot less than that place in the Dorchester Hotel in London that Barb had made him take her and her friend and his British colleague to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon, they were seated and had ordered and the dishes began arriving. Stan picked up a shrimp with his chopsticks and smushed it around in the garlic sauce before holding it up. “You realize, Moore, that jumbo shrimp, like military intelligence, is a contradiction in terms.”
Madiosi-2021-069-Stan and Barb.jpg

View attachment 1029388
That's wonderful! So delicious! And Barb isn't bad either...
Nice pacing.
I assume you mean the story and not Barb's pacing which was driving Stan BATS!

Back
Top Bottom