The Lost Panorama

Go to CruxDreams.com

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
The Lost Panorama

A recurrent topic on the forum are stories and pics of classical scenes of crucifixion in the Roman arena. Among these pics are reproductions from what was once a monumental panorama painting, entitled “The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus”. A masterpiece from the Polish painter Jan Styka (1858-1925).
nero2.jpg
I got curious about this panorama painting. It is often mentioned on the internet, but little is revealed about what happened to it. Eventually I found some information, that allowed to reconstruct its history as far as possible. These are the results up to now (as far as I found out, this information was not yet presented on the Forum – correct me if I am wrong). I particularly wondered, whether it still existed somewhere.
nero.jpg
Panorama paintings were extremely popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. They toured throughout Europe and the US, in order to be displayed in rotundas, circular buildings, often erected for the purpose.
Previously, Jan Styka had painted ‘Golgotha’, a huge 60 m long and 14 m high panorama, representing the crucifixion of Christ. According to sources (Wikipedia), it was to be shown at the 1904 World Fair in Saint Louis (running simultaneously with the Olympic Games held that year in the city). But US customs confiscated it, because of problems concerning payment of customs taxes. It then got lost for 40 years, to be rediscovered in a basement in Chicago. It is now on display in Los Angeles.
The as yet most complete information of Styka’s next panorama, The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus (1897), I found on the site of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS). It is a Russian site. The IOPS was founded in 1882 to support research on the Holy land (related to Russian Orthodox religion) and to support Russian pilgrims. After the Bolshevik revolution, it was incorporated into the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. In 1992, the Society was restored by its original name. So, the language of the IOPS site is Russian. I do not master Russian at all, and although some parts of the text are also available in English, these are limited. So I had to rely on Google translator, almost sentence by sentence. Although the results are sometimes awkward (the translator struggles with grammar, I guess, and Styka’s name is translated as ‘joint’), it nevertheless gives a good idea of the content. But be aware that I occasionally had to interpret the translation. The information on the panorama is found on an extensive page of the IOPS website, about pieces of art on evangelist themes on large paintings and panorama’s. Because of the extent of that web page, I have not translated all of it, only the section on Styka’s panorama. Beware that, since I found the site, it has been under reorganization, so some of the links had changed recently (and as the site is also very large, and I got lost in the links in Russian, it is better to have a link directly to the page concerned). The link below is where I found it most recently.
Styka started to work at the panorama around 1897. He was clearly inspired by scenes from the successful novel Quo Vadis (1895) by Henryk Sienkiewcz (1846-1916) (Nobelprize in Literature in 1905). Later, Styka also painted more scenes and illustrations based on, or even for the novel.
Nero3.jpg
The scene is the racing track of the circus, the stands being crowded with onlookers. The central figure is the apostle Peter, about to be crucified upside down, surrounded by some followers. Behind him, tens of crosses are erected, most of them carrying already a victim. More crosses (I estimate there must be about 300 at all) are hidden by the spina, left of Saint-Peter. To the right, the view extends to the emperor’s loge. In the arena, many people, most of them naked or nearly naked, dwell around, waiting their turn to be executed.
In 1900, the panorama was on display in Paris (where also a World Fair and Olympic games were held). Actually, one can still find posters announcing this exhibition (they are even for sale). The posters show a crucified naked woman, seen from the back. On the panorama, she is facing Nero’s loge.
nero4.jpg
After Paris, the panorama traveled through Europe, and seems to have been shown in Warsaw and Kiev. In 1912, according to the IOPS website, it was put on display in the Russian town of Saratov, located on the Wolga, some 700 kilometers southeast of Moscow and 200 kilometers north of Wolgograd. It was a huge success, but then the owner of the panorama had a dispute with the town council, the owner of the exhibition rotunda, about the rent. Eventually, the painting was confiscated by the council. But then it was left to neglect. On January 15th, 1915, the roof of the rotunda collapsed under the weight of a load of snow, which the council had failed to have removed. The panorama was heavily damaged. Some saw it as a bad omen for the fate of Russia in the ongoing war.
Fragments of the painting were kept stored in a warehouse in Saratov. A local painter named Theodore Maksimovic Korneev proposed to restore it. But meanwhile, the Bolsheviks were on power, and religious art was less appreciated. Attempts have been made by Korneev to ‘recuperate’ it politically, by exposing it in a planned ‘Museum of the Revolution’, as a display of capitalist decadency in the Roman Empire.
But in 1929, Korneev was arrested and banished to Archangelsk. Since, the fate of the panorama is unknown. Is it still stored somewhere? Is it in hands of private collectors? Will it ever ‘resurrect’, like ‘Golgotha’. Or is it lost? It’s a mystery up to date.
http://news.jerusalem-ippo.ru/index...ent&task=view&id=4331&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=327

Last edited by a moderator:
A recurrent topic on the forum are stories and pics of classical scenes of crucifixion in the Roman arena. Among these pics are reproductions from what was once a monumental panorama painting, entitled “The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus”. A masterpiece from the Polish painter Jan Styka (1858-1925).
View attachment 310726
I got curious about this panorama painting. It is often mentioned on the internet, but little is revealed about what happened to it. Eventually I found some information, that allowed to reconstruct its history as far as possible. These are the results up to now (as far as I found out, this information was not yet presented on the Forum – correct me if I am wrong). I particularly wondered, whether it still existed somewhere.
View attachment 310727
Panorama paintings were extremely popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. They toured throughout Europe and the US, in order to be displayed in rotundas, circular buildings, often erected for the purpose.
Previously, Jan Styka had painted ‘Golgotha’, a huge 60 m long and 14 m high panorama, representing the crucifixion of Christ. According to sources (Wikipedia), it was to be shown at the 1904 World Fair in Saint Louis (running simultaneously with the Olympic Games held that year in the city). But US customs confiscated it, because of problems concerning payment of customs taxes. It then got lost for 40 years, to be rediscovered in a basement in Chicago. It is now on display in Los Angeles.
The as yet most complete information of Styka’s next panorama, The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus (1897), I found on the site of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS). It is a Russian site. The IOPS was founded in 1882 to support research on the Holy land (related to Russian Orthodox religion) and to support Russian pilgrims. After the Bolshevik revolution, it was incorporated into the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. In 1992, the Society was restored by its original name. So, the language of the IOPS site is Russian. I do not master Russian at all, and although some parts of the text are also available in English, these are limited. So I had to rely on Google translator, almost sentence by sentence. Although the results are sometimes awkward (the translator struggles with grammar, I guess, and Styka’s name is translated as ‘joint’), it nevertheless gives a good idea of the content. But be aware that I occasionally had to interpret the translation. The information on the panorama is found on an extensive page of the IOPS website, about pieces of art on evangelist themes on large paintings and panorama’s. Because of the extent of that web page, I have not translated all of it, only the section on Styka’s panorama. Beware that, since I found the site, it has been under reorganization, so some of the links had changed recently (and as the site is also very large, and I got lost in the links in Russian, it is better to have a link directly to the page concerned). The link below is where I found it most recently.
Styka started to work at the panorama around 1897. He was clearly inspired by scenes from the successful novel Quo Vadis (1895) by Henryk Sienkiewcz (1846-1916) (Nobelprize in Literature in 1905). Later, Styka also painted more scenes and illustrations based on, or even for the novel.
View attachment 310729
The scene is the racing track of the circus, the stands being crowded with onlookers. The central figure is the apostle Peter, about to be crucified upside down, surrounded by some followers. Behind him, tens of crosses are erected, most of them carrying already a victim. More crosses (I estimate there must be about 300 at all) are hidden by the spina, left of Saint-Peter. To the right, the view extends to the emperor’s loge. In the arena, many people, most of them naked or nearly naked, dwell around, waiting their turn to be executed.
In 1900, the panorama was on display in Paris (where also a World Fair and Olympic games were held). Actually, one can still find posters announcing this exhibition (they are even for sale). The posters show a crucified naked woman, seen from the back. On the panorama, she is facing Nero’s loge.
View attachment 310730
After Paris, the panorama traveled through Europe, and seems to have been shown in Warsaw and Kiev. In 1912, according to the IOPS website, it was put on display in the Russian town of Saratov, located on the Wolga, some 700 kilometers southeast of Moscow and 200 kilometers north of Wolgograd. It was a huge success, but then the owner of the panorama had a dispute with the town council, the owner of the exhibition rotunda, about the rent. Eventually, the painting was confiscated by the council. But then it was left to neglect. On January 15th, 1915, the roof of the rotunda collapsed under the weight of a load of snow, which the council had failed to have removed. The panorama was heavily damaged. Some saw it as a bad omen for the fate of Russia in the ongoing war.
Fragments of the painting were kept stored in a warehouse in Saratov. A local painter named Theodore Maksimovic Korneev proposed to restore it. But meanwhile, the Bolsheviks were on power, and religious art was less appreciated. Attempts have been made by Korneev to ‘recuperate’ it politically, by exposing it in a planned ‘Museum of the Revolution’, as a display of capitalist decadency in the Roman Empire.
But in 1929, Korneev was arrested and banished to Archangelsk. Since, the fate of the panorama is unknown. Is it still stored somewhere? Is it in hands of private collectors? Will it ever ‘resurrect’, like ‘Golgotha’. Or is it lost? It’s a mystery up to date.
http://news.jerusalem-ippo.ru/index...ent&task=view&id=4331&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=327

Thanks for this Lox! I have seen information about the panorama before, and perhaps there is something here on the site (Eulalia would know). Too bad we don't have a larger image, so much going on. The panorama and the scene from Quo Vadis certainly were inspiration for the story I wrote here with Siss: "A Day in the Arena".

Since, the fate of the panorama is unknown. Is it still stored somewhere? Is it in hands of private collectors? Will it ever ‘resurrect’, like ‘Golgotha’. Or is it lost? It’s a mystery up to date.
Loxuru, that was really interesting; thank you for wading through all that Russian for us; a heroic feat! I did not know of this artwork, and found your article fascinating :)

I had not realized how huge these paintings were - this photo shows the artist in front of it, on scaffolding, giving an idea of the scale. Wow.
obozna_panorama_06.jpg

That is very interesting indeed Loxuru, thanks for giving us the fruits of your research.
It reveals the background to a number of more recent scenes - paintings, tableaux vivants, film scenes, manips and renders, etc. -
that we've seen quite often on the Forums. They seemed to draw on a common source of inspiration,
and Styk's panorama is surely it.
Your #3 image is one such, I think, from the 2001 Polish film of 'Quo Vadis', clearly based on the Styk panorama.
As to where the original might be, if it still exists, I wouldn't know where to start to look.
I know that, as you say, such large-scale works were very popular in the 19th century,
I also know that hardly any survive intact today, they were just so big and unwieldy and difficult to store,
never mind all the wars, revolutions, and disasters that are all too likely to have engulfed them!

Too bad we don't have a larger image, so much going on
Of course, the high/width ratio of such a panorama does not easily fit that of a computer screen, so if you want more detail, you will lose the overview, and you have to scroll laterally. I added a pdf version, that should allow to choose between overview and detail, depending on the enlargement.

Your #3 image is one such, I think, from the 2001 Polish film of 'Quo Vadis'
That is true, it is a screenshot from that movie.

Attachments

• styka.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 294
“The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus”. A masterpiece from the Polish painter Jan Styka (1858-1925).

Loxuru, that is really great stuff...

in the archive of the university of Heidelberg / Germany you will find a detailed description and some high resolution pictures of »The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus«, printed in the magazine »Moderne Kunst« of 1902/03

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/moderne_kunst1902/0028

or

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/di...8/scroll?sid=3f57a1882adcd0c93ce25c8d9ec7b0d4

Last edited:
Just taking a quick moment to thank those like Loxuru and Zephyros who go the extra mile to deeply research these kind of interesting and all too easily forgotten histories.
Hear hear. I imagine Zephyros and Loxuru burrowing into the tottering stacks of some vast and crumbling library, like characters in an Umberto Eco novel, uncovering eldritch mysteries and forbidden texts, dusty tomes and heretical parchments. They (and others like them) add so much to the forums

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the real thing. Because the widespread copy already has grammatically garbled German in its title. The original is 'Von unaussprechlichen Kulten'. That's how German works, '[Tales] Of unspeakable cults' renders differently than just 'unspeakable cults'.
should have known the eldritch mythos would have permeated here...its tentacles are everywhere... but we're going off topic.... as usual

Fascinating stuff - there are indeed hardly any panorama paintings extant, but one - maybe one of the best ever - is still on display in its original purpose-built gallery in Den Haag. Quite off-topic in terms of crucifixion, but maybe of interest, as it gives a great sense of how these things were meant to be viewed. It is brilliant, by the way... so drop by if you are in NL!
http://www.panorama-mesdag.nl/english/

Fascinating stuff - there are indeed hardly any panorama paintings extant, but one - maybe one of the best ever - is still on display in its original purpose-built gallery in Den Haag. Quite off-topic in terms of crucifixion, but maybe of interest, as it gives a great sense of how these things were meant to be viewed. It is brilliant, by the way... so drop by if you are in NL!
http://www.panorama-mesdag.nl/english/

By way of explanation, you ascend a spiral staircase to the viewing platform which is in the middle of the "sand dune"... all the sand and the items on it (anchors, shoes, wood) in the foreground are real - the scenes of Scheveningen and (in the distance) The Hague are painted on a massive canvass which is fixed to the inside of the "drum" which forms the gallery space. It is virtually impossible to see where "reality" and the canvass meet, so the illusion really works.

A recurrent topic on the forum are stories and pics of classical scenes of crucifixion in the Roman arena. Among these pics are reproductions from what was once a monumental panorama painting, entitled “The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus”. A masterpiece from the Polish painter Jan Styka

This is good work... My mother was Polish so I find this very interesting.
Thank you,
Helmut

By way of explanation, you ascend a spiral staircase to the viewing platform which is in the middle of the "sand dune"... all the sand and the items on it (anchors, shoes, wood) in the foreground are real - the scenes of Scheveningen and (in the distance) The Hague are painted on a massive canvass which is fixed to the inside of the "drum" which forms the gallery space. It is virtually impossible to see where "reality" and the canvass meet, so the illusion really works.
It's great! Just looks bare without any crosses.
Someone's even left a couple of posts and a beam lying waiting at one point -
an obvious hint... :devil:

Loxuru, that is really great stuff...

in the archive of the university of Heidelberg / Germany you will find a detailed description and some high resolution pictures of »The martyrdom of Christians in Nero’ circus«, printed in the magazine »Moderne Kunst« of 1902/03

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/moderne_kunst1902/0028

or

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/di...8/scroll?sid=3f57a1882adcd0c93ce25c8d9ec7b0d4
Thanks for these too Zephyros. It's fascinating to look at the details.
One that appeals to me is the way the martyrs awaiting crucifixion seem to be entirely unsupervised,
some behaving quite properly, kneeling and praying, listening to their elders' exhorting them etc.,
one or two even seem to be helping their executioners erect their crosses.
But others, especially the women - if they aren't swooning - are wandering off around the Circus,
gazing plaintively at the crowd, one's crawling away perhaps hoping to hide somewhere.
It makes me imagine what I might do in that situation - I think I'd go for a stroll, take a look around,
until some guy calls my number! :devil:

Back
Top Bottom