The Slave Market

Go to CruxDreams.com
For anyone interested in the subject, I would suggest trying to find a copy of "The Roman Guide to Slave Management - A Treatise by Nobleman Marcus Sidonius Falx" by Jerry Toner. It is well researched and easy to read. It taps into many of the things written down from the period about the purchase and management of slaves, of all types, for all reasons. It gives good background info, and is written as a first person commentary, quoting notable figures, with commentary after each chapter in a modern voice.

Describe how you would inspect a female slave for sale, curious. Would like to hear from the ladies. Art by Kindinov
Just from the ladies, or are us guys' answers sought as well?

Most of the art we enjoy has a sexual orientation. If you are buying sex slaves then the answer to the question is what appeals to you and gets you hard. The BDFSM films where girls have their breasts grabbed and squeezed, or a girl is whipped to see how much pain she can take, or she is bent over to have her vagina and ass inspected is strictly a modern thing to get you guys excited.
Hmm... while sex may not have been the main use, a lot of owners did use slaves for that on the side. So if they were young and pretty, then some preliminary handling iis fairly plausible - assuming the owner even buys the slave's themselves instead of sending an agent. (Of course, an agent who might not have as much access to slave-flesh themselves might also take liberties...)

All in all a great general rundown on the important points, though! And your second one is very good too - your horse-buying experience serves you well!

And this brings up another point with a slave sale. How hard is the slave trying to sell themselves?
And this is also a very important point... one of the jobs of the seller, of course, is convincing the slave to sell themselves as best as possible. (Often via dire threats of what happens to slaves who go *un*sold too long...)

Just from the ladies, or are us guys' answers sought as well?

Hmm... while sex may not have been the main use, a lot of owners did use slaves for that on the side. So if they were young and pretty, then some preliminary handling iis fairly plausible - assuming the owner even buys the slave's themselves instead of sending an agent. (Of course, an agent who might not have as much access to slave-flesh themselves might also take liberties...)

All in all a great general rundown on the important points, though! And your second one is very good too - your horse-buying experience serves you well!

And this is also a very important point... one of the jobs of the seller, of course, is convincing the slave to sell themselves as best as possible. (Often via dire threats of what happens to slaves who go *un*sold too long...)

I don't disagree that sex was a secondary benefit for any slave owner but the primary (and far and away) purpose was labor. Domestic, manufacturing, farm doesn't matter it was labor. And oh by the way putting a worker out of commission during the latter part of a pregnancy or early period after birth is not a good economic use of the machinery. And we are not even counting the number of women who died in child birth. Do you think slaves got top shelf medical care?

And don't go the route that 'I want to breed her' cause that ain't flying in Roman society. Yes it happened, particularly among Legionaries who would get their citizenship AFTER they had survived their tour but in the meantime had been shacked up with a slave girl cause he wasn't allowed to marry. But if you are hobnobbing with Augustus, fuck the daylights out of her but don't claim the kid because then you aren't only off the "A" list, you are off all of them worth being on.

And yes I am fully aware that in certain "Asian" (as the Roman's considered everything east of Greece) societies men could legitimize child via a slave.

Guys do an experiment. Next time you are walking down the street count the total number of girls you see and keep a separate tab for the pretty\beautiful ones. I realize most of you will do anything that is breathing in a pinch but let's assume for a moment that you aren't "that guy" and that you have the resources to buy that beautiful girl off the block. Finally keep a 3rd count of the ones you wouldn't do with your buddy's dick.

Statistically what you will find is the top shelf girls are few in number. The average girls far outweigh both other categories combined and the ones you consider ugly also outnumber the top shelf girls.

So yeah you may want her for her body but you had better have money because you are going to go up against stiff (no pun intended) competition for those beauties. In reality you had better buy her cause she's good at what you need her for and warming your bed on a cold night is a secondary consideration.

But this is fantasy so we ALL find our victims sexually interesting, I get it.

kisses

willowfall

I don't disagree that sex was a secondary benefit for any slave owner but the primary (and far and away) purpose was labor. Domestic, manufacturing, farm doesn't matter it was labor. And oh by the way putting a worker out of commission during the latter part of a pregnancy or early period after birth is not a good economic use of the machinery. And we are not even counting the number of women who died in child birth. Do you think slaves got top shelf medical care?

And don't go the route that 'I want to breed her' cause that ain't flying in Roman society. Yes it happened, particularly among Legionaries who would get their citizenship AFTER they had survived their tour but in the meantime had been shacked up with a slave girl cause he wasn't allowed to marry. But if you are hobnobbing with Augustus, fuck the daylights out of her but don't claim the kid because then you aren't only off the "A" list, you are off all of them worth being on.
Slave-concubinage was very much part of the system, at the high-end of the market. St Augustine was exceptional in many ways, but by no means so in being given a slave-concubine when he was 17, with whom he lived, apparently very happily for 15 years, but then married a woman of his own social class, and 'pensioned off' the concubine with the boy they'd had together - we only have his side of the story, of course, but it seems he was genuinely fond of the woman and the boy, provided well for them both - the lad sadly died in his teens.

Slave-concubinage was very much part of the system, at the high-end of the market. St Augustine was exceptional in many ways, but by no means so in being given a slave-concubine when he was 17, with whom he lived, apparently very happily for 15 years, but then married a woman of his own social class, and 'pensioned off' the concubine with the boy they'd had together - we only have his side of the story, of course, but it seems he was genuinely fond of the woman and the boy, provided well for them both - the lad sadly died in his teens.

Oh definitely men had babies thru their slaves (and concubines but that was a different level in the female-partner hierarchy) and in some case provided quite well for both mother and child. I never said men didn't fall in love with their slaves.

What I said was, above the lowest levels of society, in a western 'civilized' (term used very loosely) society they would not be legitimized. Now that is a whole different level than they might not be freed or they might not even become very successful members of society (you certainly see this). So for example an Emperor could have a ton of illegitimate children thru slaves, concubines or Mistresses but only a son thru a WIFE could have a claim on the throne.

Unlike say in an "Asian" (as the Romans called them) society where a male could legitimize any child via any woman just by claiming the child as their own. A ton of Persian and Pharaonic Egyptian (and later Ottoman) rulers where the children of slaves. And their Harems (a term we misinterpret in the west) were chock full of women acquired thru conquest or sale for sex (or sometimes being shown off as art objects like 'Oh that pretty little thing? Yeah she was the wife of the king of some minor kingdom we conquered, I forget which one.')

But we happen to be playing in the Roman Empire not Persia and not some barbarian tribe north of the Danube.

Certainly slaves were bought for sexual purposes. By people who could afford that luxury (think the rich guy who has a stable of race horses or a classic car collection) and by establishments whose profession revolved around sex (and the brothels none of us could afford got the better looking sex slaves).

But the ordinary slave was bought for what she could do labor wise, even if her owner\overseer was getting in a quick boff while the wife was visiting her sister with the kids.

My original start of the discussion is in our fantasy world we seem preoccupied with the sexual aspect (and YES I completely understand the overwhelming sexual component of our fantasy) but then I guess in our little fantasy world all the tormentors are wealthy powerful men and an ugly duckingly never shows up on the auction block, lol.

Sex IS the driving force in humanity, why do you think prostitution is the world's oldest profession? And we women have been using sex in various different ways to get what we want since Eve. If I was on the slave block you can be damn sure I'd pick out the what I thought to be the 4-5 richest men among the bidders and do my best to convince them that not only was I what they were looking for but also there were "benefits" to go along with my primary purpose.

kisses

willowfall

Oh definitely men had babies thru their slaves (and concubines but that was a different level in the female-partner hierarchy) and in some case provided quite well for both mother and child. I never said men didn't fall in love with their slaves.

What I said was, above the lowest levels of society, in a western 'civilized' (term used very loosely) society they would not be legitimized. Now that is a whole different level than they might not be freed or they might not even become very successful members of society (you certainly see this). So for example an Emperor could have a ton of illegitimate children thru slaves, concubines or Mistresses but only a son thru a WIFE could have a claim on the throne.

Unlike say in an "Asian" (as the Romans called them) society where a male could legitimize any child via any woman just by claiming the child as their own. A ton of Persian and Pharaonic Egyptian (and later Ottoman) rulers where the children of slaves. And their Harems (a term we misinterpret in the west) were chock full of women acquired thru conquest or sale for sex (or sometimes being shown off as art objects like 'Oh that pretty little thing? Yeah she was the wife of the king of some minor kingdom we conquered, I forget which one.')

But we happen to be playing in the Roman Empire not Persia and not some barbarian tribe north of the Danube.

Certainly slaves were bought for sexual purposes. By people who could afford that luxury (think the rich guy who has a stable of race horses or a classic car collection) and by establishments whose profession revolved around sex (and the brothels none of us could afford got the better looking sex slaves).

But the ordinary slave was bought for what she could do labor wise, even if her owner\overseer was getting in a quick boff while the wife was visiting her sister with the kids.

My original start of the discussion is in our fantasy world we seem preoccupied with the sexual aspect (and YES I completely understand the overwhelming sexual component of our fantasy) but then I guess in our little fantasy world all the tormentors are wealthy powerful men and an ugly duckingly never shows up on the auction block, lol.

Sex IS the driving force in humanity, why do you think prostitution is the world's oldest profession? And we women have been using sex in various different ways to get what we want since Eve. If I was on the slave block you can be damn sure I'd pick out the what I thought to be the 4-5 richest men among the bidders and do my best to convince them that not only was I what they were looking for but also there were "benefits" to go along with my primary purpose.

kisses

willowfall
Great insight. I think a Roman could formerly adopt a child, and it would be considered his. I definitely could see this happening to a loved concubine’s child.

kisses

willowfall
Secondary question Willow, what would you do to convince them, there on the auction block? Asking for a friend.

Secondary question Willow, what would you do to convince them, there on the auction block? Asking for a friend.

Well fortunately I have a lot of experience with public speaking so some of the methods would be the same. For example eye contact, you want him to know this is for him, so you look him directly in the eye.

A smile, wink, blow someone a kiss. All good initiators without commitment, see if he responds. Does he run his eyes over your body or is he busy talking to to his buddy next to him? Is his facial expression engaged or does he look bored? If you get positive indicators then you move onto more serious stuff. If not don't waste anymore time on him.

If you find he has an interest then you direct more serious things towards him. A slow sensual pursing of the lips like he was something delicious you wanted to eat. Make sure when walking around the stage to put one foot in front of the other (watch super models) as it makes your hips swing and your breasts bounce more. When turning around keep face forward as long as you can before swinging your face to the approaching side, nobody cares about the back of your head.

Throw your hair over your head and then flip it back.

Run your palms over your curves as far down your body as you can without bending over and when bringing your hands back up your body make sure they pass over your sex (DON'T play with yourself, he is buying you to entertain him not yourself) and up your belly before you cup your breasts. Run your finger tips over your areolas and nipples.

And some point make sure you do bend over but don't let your shoulders get level with your hips. I have never met a guy who didn't like the sight of dangling breasts.

Now if I was bigger chested (I'm a "B") I might lightly lick my nipples when displaying them because I could keep eye contact with the buyer while doing that. Believe me he is not thinking what my tongue might do for my nipples (no matter how much he likes that), he is thinking what my tongue might do for his anatomy.

The types of things you see in modern BDSM (checking out sex and ass) probably didn't happen in an auction setting. When you buy a horse (or any live stock) you do the physical exam in the stall before the animal comes out for bidding. Once the bidding starts the auctioneer has no time for you to poke at the subject, he wants to get as many thru the sale as possible before the buyers lose interest (and they do).

Don't concentrate on just one man, find several in the audience who you think are good candidates. These are highly successful powerful men with egos. A lot of the conversation around the lectus was 'I did this or I own that'. Very much like modern rich guys. They love nothing better than one upping their social peers. If you can get several of them interested a bidding war starts which is only in your favor because he is less likely to discard you (he doesn't want to admit in front of his buddies buying you was a mistake) quickly. Plus a bidding war makes the seller very happy.

kisses

willowfall

Great insight. I think a Roman could formerly adopt a child, and it would be considered his. I definitely could see this happening to a loved concubine’s child.

Technically correct. You see this with a lot of Legionaries who shacked up with a slave woman until they were discharged and got their citizenship diploma. After that they would free their partner and legitimize any children out of the relationship.

I was not talking about what was legal but what was acceptable to upper level society. Very much like the Victorian's image was more important that substance. In modern society Edward VII of England is an example. He had a long term Mistress who Queen Alexandria allowed to privately say goodbye to Edward as he lay dying. She was willing to tolerate the affair as long as it was discrete (relative term since tons of people knew about it).

Screwing a slave girl, even getting her pregnant happened and everybody knew it but they didn't talk about it. Holding the kid up in the air and yelling "He's mine" was not something society was going to accept.

Think of Las Vegas today. It would perfectly legal for me to work as a CSW (Commercial Sex Worker) for say 5 years out of college to pay off the debt. But despite it being legal I doubt very much the Bank Legal department I work for would have hired me (if I had been stupid enough to have it on my resume) no matter what my qualifications for the job were.

kisses

willowfall

Well fortunately I have a lot of experience with public speaking so some of the methods would be the same. For example eye contact, you want him to know this is for him, so you look him directly in the eye.

A smile, wink, blow someone a kiss. All good initiators without commitment, see if he responds. Does he run his eyes over your body or is he busy talking to to his buddy next to him? Is his facial expression engaged or does he look bored? If you get positive indicators then you move onto more serious stuff. If not don't waste anymore time on him.

If you find he has an interest then you direct more serious things towards him. A slow sensual pursing of the lips like he was something delicious you wanted to eat. Make sure when walking around the stage to put one foot in front of the other (watch super models) as it makes your hips swing and your breasts bounce more. When turning around keep face forward as long as you can before swinging your face to the approaching side, nobody cares about the back of your head.

Throw your hair over your head and then flip it back.

Run your palms over your curves as far down your body as you can without bending over and when bringing your hands back up your body make sure they pass over your sex (DON'T play with yourself, he is buying you to entertain him not yourself) and up your belly before you cup your breasts. Run your finger tips over your areolas and nipples.

And some point make sure you do bend over but don't let your shoulders get level with your hips. I have never met a guy who didn't like the sight of dangling breasts.

Now if I was bigger chested (I'm a "B") I might lightly lick my nipples when displaying them because I could keep eye contact with the buyer while doing that. Believe me he is not thinking what my tongue might do for my nipples (no matter how much he likes that), he is thinking what my tongue might do for his anatomy.

The types of things you see in modern BDSM (checking out sex and ass) probably didn't happen in an auction setting. When you buy a horse (or any live stock) you do the physical exam in the stall before the animal comes out for bidding. Once the bidding starts the auctioneer has no time for you to poke at the subject, he wants to get as many thru the sale as possible before the buyers lose interest (and they do).

Don't concentrate on just one man, find several in the audience who you think are good candidates. These are highly successful powerful men with egos. A lot of the conversation around the lectus was 'I did this or I own that'. Very much like modern rich guys. They love nothing better than one upping their social peers. If you can get several of them interested a bidding war starts which is only in your favor because he is less likely to discard you (he doesn't want to admit in front of his buddies buying you was a mistake) quickly. Plus a bidding war makes the seller very happy.

kisses

willowfall
What if it was a sapphic slave auction? Use the same showing off/revealing strategy?

I think that we all try to visualize how slavery and slave inspections did happen. I can’t even imagine the fear and trepidation felt by those taken from a life of freedom then captured, inspected, and sold into a life with no freedom. Whether it was because of a country losing a war, kidnapping , or a penal thing indentured servitude for debt or a crime, the life change that took place must have been almost unbearable. Short of survival instinct, I am sure that suicide was a very viable option for many. Slavery was brutal and still is a brutal part of society today. Sorry to put a bummer on the fantasy of slavery but I feel nothing but pity for children and young women that have somehow found their way into the world-wide human trafficking system.

What if it was a sapphic slave auction? Use the same showing off/revealing strategy?

Well again I think you are mixing modern concepts with ancient. Ancients had a different view of sex. Despite what some modern authors try to pimp, while the ancients accepted that homosexual acts and love occurred, you see a ton of writings from the time period dismissing "immorality" (and this is pre-Christianity) as destructive to society. I'd find it hard to believe that ANY PUBLIC (the rich can ALWAYS get what they want behind closed doors) auctions would have been women buying women.

And remember (like in modern fundamentalist's societies) in ancient societies men could say one thing and do almost anything they like. Women got stoned for the exact same actions.

I am sure women had female slaves bought for their pleasure but I suspect it was at the same auctions the men were shopping a thru a surrogate (like the household Stewart).

Having said that, moving ahead with the assumption that it did occur, female to female seduction is not the same as female to male. (It is very easy to tell the difference between "lesbian" porn shot for the male market and for the female market.) YES we love the physical part of the sex but the desire to have another woman is more based on who she is, inside, than who she is on the outside. So I'd still flirt but I'd drop a lot of the physical moves (hip motion, hanging breasts, etc) and I would probably play my hands more lightly across my skin (the touch of a lover you can barely feel is quite sensual). I'd stay completely away from fondling myself as I find the women I have sex with are more interested in the 'tease' then the 'touch'.

And I suspect there would be a part of the auction where you would be asked to recite some love poetry or a romantic story. Foreplay, verbal as well as physical. is incredibly important to the women I have had relationships with.

Some of the other girls on the forum might approach this differently as just like you, we are not all the same.

kisses

willowfall

I think that we all try to visualize how slavery and slave inspections did happen. I can’t even imagine the fear and trepidation felt by those taken from a life of freedom then captured, inspected, and sold into a life with no freedom. Whether it was because of a country losing a war, kidnapping , or a penal thing indentured servitude for debt or a crime, the life change that took place must have been almost unbearable. Short of survival instinct, I am sure that suicide was a very viable option for many. Slavery was brutal and still is a brutal part of society today. Sorry to put a bummer on the fantasy of slavery but I feel nothing but pity for children and young women that have somehow found their way into the world-wide human trafficking system.

Maybe Aslin but again ancient people's views of the world were radically different than ours is.

To take it out of the role of slavery in ancient Rome a "girl" was legally a woman at 12 years and 1 day old. Thus she could and would marry and have sex right then and there. Imagine the uproar that would cause today if anyone proposed that today. The concept of "child labor" didn't exist. Everyone went to work as soon as they could or the family might starve. That soldiers were ENTITLED to sack a city and do what they wanted to the population is unthinkable for the past 300 years or so in western society (but I would point out NOT in other coexisting societies in other parts of the world today).

Also Slavery was not an aberration in their world, it was all around them. They all knew slaves even if they didn't own any themselves. The concept of the conquered belonging to the conqueror (or a wife belonging to a husband) was part of the natural order. Class stratification was every powerful in those societies and even for a poor free person a slave was one rung down on the social ladder. I don't think, humans being humans, that there was much movement for Emancipation, which only really started to gain traction in the 1700s.

I certainly agree with you that the life change was drastic and no one wanted to become a slave but I'm not sure that it was a traumatic as you'd think. They lived in a world where it was a struggle to get past 12. Child mortality and death in childbirth were out of sight by our standards yet to them it was the normal course of events. They had no objection to having slaves when their armies conquered. That they were on the losing end was merely bad luck and for most, slavery was better than death.

Also there were levels of slavery. Hard industrial work (farming, mining and believe it or not working in a mill) was virtually a slow death sentence. Getting sold into domestic service might have been a step up for a lot of them (something to be said for guaranteed food and shelter). A girl who found herself the possession of a Legionary might have just found her common law husband even if she was legally a slave.

Did they want it to happen, I'd say not, did they accept that it was part of life, I'd bet they did.

kisses

willowfall

I do agree that for some people back in history their chance for survival probably increased when they became a slave. A roof over their heads and food in their belly was undoubtably better than starving. I can’t believe however that it was ever anything but an ordeal for them. They may have learned to survive within the system, but I’m not sure too many of them felt better off for it. What I can’t believe is that even with the evolution of society that human trafficking still exists and big money is still the force that drives it. We all have our fantasies, dominant and submissive, those fantasies excite us, they drive sites like this one. But they are fantasies, not the reality that the trafficked have to deal with. I just have to say that modern day slavery really saddens me.

Back
Top Bottom