The Throwaway Girl - a new story by Jedakk

• Thread starter Deleted member jedakk
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm sure the ending didn't please everyone! Every scenario I thought of that included Ellie's death on the cross seemed like a dead end to me. Ok, now she's dead and everyone else just picks up their lives where they left off and forgets her. That would have been the reality had she died. As I thought about it, the other major stories I wrote going back to "Faithful Sayings" in 2003 ended with the protagonist's death. "Altered States" took Maia's story through death to the other side, where the two girls' souls finally split apart. Maia's going on to a druid afterlife while Cat's went back to her body in the present time.

I thought it would be too predictable for me to kill off Ellie, too. So I decided it was time for a rescue instead. But that couldn't be TOO predictable, either, so I introduced a sniper whose goal was to shoot Ellie and end her suffering. I created Thomas Ruck, Ellie's brother, and made him an ex-army sniper. I went all the way back to the day of Ellie's execution and had her introduce his name into the story when the medic asked if she had anyone who should receive any effects she had. I had him live alone in Montana. I recently read "Way Station", a 1963 SF novel by Clifford Simak and modeled Thomas Ruck's daily trips to the mailbox with his dog after the main character in that novel. I had a friend who cooked and ate a rattlesnake, so I added that in too.

I had to do some research to learn exactly what rifle a sniper might use to shoot a girl on a cross. The current US military sniper rifle is the Barrett MRAD, which can be chambered for a number of different size cartridges. A popular one is a Winchester .308, so that's what Thomas Ruck has. The sound from a rifle like that is a "bang-crack" - the bang of the rifle firing and the crack from the tiny sonic boom the bullet makes in supersonic flight. The bang can be suppressed, not completely silenced, by a sound suppressor which also hides the muzzle flash at night. If Thomas Ruck could have used sub-sonic ammo, the bullet would have been silent in flight. But the bullet would have flown in an arc like a rainbow, so for accuracy's sake he needed to fire supersonic ammo. One of those bullets would drop to sub-sonic at about 600 yards, so I moved the Neches River far enough west to make it a 672-yard shot. :-D A writer has such incredible power!

The parts about Thomas Ruck opening his mouth, letting his jaw go slack, and firing between heartbeats are things snipers say they do.

The yaupon thicket Thomas Ruck is lying in is typical of east Texas, where the story takes place. Yaupon looks like a hedge bush on steroids. It grows to about fifteen feet tall, has trunks up to about four inches in diameter, sometimes bigger. It's one of those plants that differentiates into male and female, like holly, with the female growing red berries and the male growing pollen-producing flowers of sorts. It often grows close together and way too thick to walk through. I know because I grew up here.

Other things, the rescue truck with the heavy crane on the back is typical for Fire and Rescue units. The reciprocating saw or "sawzall" they used is a standard piece of equipment for them too. I don't know about anesthesia vs. powerful stimulants - I made that up.

Great ending, glad it was nothing like my spoof attempt!
I loved the way you described all the technical details up to the end, and I thought the hallucinations felt very real.

I just didn't quite get Alice's new idea. Was it as simple as involving the US Marshalls and the Fire Dept rather than the contractors? Or is my brain so filled with images of writhing bodies it can't think anymore?

Most of the previous attempts, i.e. filing an appeal, getting SCOTUS (the Supreme Court of the United States) to stop Ellie's execution, even though it was under way, those were all within Alice's power or the judge's power. The judge issuing a court order reversing Ellie's "statutorily deceased" status, which I guess could be compared with "legally dead" as in when someone has been missing more than seven years in the US, that would be within his power. The Department of Vital Statistics doesn't work that way and I don't think that would have been needed for SCOTUS to accept Ellie's case, but such organizations are very bureaucratic. The move to order the Execution Services Department, which of course doesn't exist, to take Ellie down from the cross was not actually within his power. He did that hoping they would just comply and not check to see whether he had that power. So he's gotten farther and farther out on a limb to accomplish what he wants, and the repercussions to him could be getting more severe.

He can issue a court order to the US Marshals Service, but what he's ordering them to do isn't really within his power. That could backfire on him. Note that the US Marshals Service is part of the Justice Department, like the courts, and is the enforcement arm of the federal court system. If the Fire Department got a request from the US Marshals Service to take a dying woman down off a cross, they would trust that the US Marshal was acting legally and do it. The Fire Department is not law enforcement.

So it's all about going from perfectly legal to really desperate measures to rescue Ellie.

What Alice is doing, bringing documents for the judge to sign, is the way it works. Judges don't generate many requests and documents under their signature. Mostly judges sign and approve things the lawyers create.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s just a tremendous display of detail on your part, frankly. It all fits together very coherently.

This is one for the ages, an instant classic, rivaling Serpents Eye in its story, detail, and verisimilitude. You certainly have an engineer’s mind for things.

One note about the anesthesia, it is possible to sedate someone who is on stimulants, but it is much more difficult due to their typically agitated state, and drug interactions may have potentially lethal side effects. It’s best to keep her stim drugs fictional so none of us go flipping through reference books to find a plot hole.

That’s also a bleak ending, just the way we like. The crucifixions continued...

I think it's a good ending, otherwise we'd just follow a continuous downward trajectory and as we watch Ellie slowly fade and go through ever more agony at some point at least some readers would start disconnecting.
It's not really a 'happy end'as the executions keep on going and nobody really questions the system and its depravity.
Also the ending is a nice twist on the title, as the "throwaway girl" whom the ringleader wanted to discard is the only one who survives in the end...

And did she met her brother?
No, at least not within the scope of this story. I had thought I might have him show up to visit her while she was in rehab, maybe, and debated about whether I'd have him say, "You know, I almost shot you just before they rescued you." And maybe she would say, "Mom visited me there at the end. She looked pretty good to be dead for twelve years!"

I would think he would come visit her at some point, now he knows where she is, or get her to come up to Montana and visit him. He could kill and cook a rattlesnake big enough for the two of them! :smilie-devil:

That’s just a tremendous display of detail on your part, frankly. It all fits together very coherently.
Thanks, high praise!

This is one for the ages, an instant classic, rivaling Serpents Eye in its story, detail, and verisimilitude. You certainly have an engineer’s mind for things.
Again, high praise. I am very detail-oriented. For myself, a story that feels like it could work is just a lot more enjoyable.

One note about the anesthesia, it is possible to sedate someone who is on stimulants, but it is much more difficult due to their typically agitated state, and drug interactions may have potentially lethal side effects. It’s best to keep her stim drugs fictional so none of us go flipping through reference books to find a plot hole.
Yes, I left the stim as a fictional "military-grade stimulant" intended for troops in battle. I don't know what it would be in reality or if there's anything like that at all. I know what it was like back in college (45 years ago - argh!) when I took No Doz caffeine tablets once because I couldn't afford the time to sleep. It was horrible, never did that again. It doesn't make you not tired, it just makes you not sleep even if you really wanted to.

I wrote that the doctor couldn't give her an anesthetic due to the stim just because it seemed like there might be a problem there. I also thought about him maybe doing some kind of local anesthesia, which might have been ok. I thought about the surgeons using a nerve block of some kind to take the nails out, but I actually do know something about those and I believe it would be hard to keep her anesthetized that way for long enough to do the surgery. Well, I'm not an expert in that area and don't pretend to be.

That’s also a bleak ending, just the way we like. The crucifixions continued...

Yes it is. Wow, the horror of those prisoners condemned to crucifixion only knowing they have two more weeks, drawing their marble and then doing it all over again. If there are twenty women there, the last one would go through thirty-eight weeks of lotteries every two weeks. The last drawing would be only two of them, one crucified and the one who drew the white marble knowing she'll be crucified in two more weeks. The anxiety would be just awful. I wonder if it would ever get to the point where someone would just volunteer to be crucified this time rather than have to go any longer thinking about it? Could be part of a story. Hmmm...

No, at least not within the scope of this story. I had thought I might have him show up to visit her while she was in rehab, maybe, and debated about whether I'd have him say, "You know, I almost shot you just before they rescued you." And maybe she would say, "Mom visited me there at the end. She looked pretty good to be dead for twelve years!"

I would think he would come visit her at some point, now he knows where she is, or get her to come up to Montana and visit him. He could kill and cook a rattlesnake big enough for the two of them! :smilie-devil:
That would be an interesting visit! I like the idea of the two getting together, but I bet that there would be a few arguements!
Great story!

I really enjoyed this story jedakk. Being a fan of this categories: "modern times"+plausible stories, this one is a must.

I have to admit that I didn't like the ending very much, but reading why you choose that ending, I´m happy with it. You have giving us great finales since "Faithful Sayings" and this one will be the exception, I hope.

I wonder if it would ever get to the point where someone would just volunteer to be crucified this time rather than have to go any longer thinking about it? Could be part of a story. Hmmm...
Could it be?

Yes it is. Wow, the horror of those prisoners condemned to crucifixion only knowing they have two more weeks, drawing their marble and then doing it all over again. If there are twenty women there, the last one would go through thirty-eight weeks of lotteries every two weeks. The last drawing would be only two of them, one crucified and the one who drew the white marble knowing she'll be crucified in two more weeks. The anxiety would be just awful. I wonder if it would ever get to the point where someone would just volunteer to be crucified this time rather than have to go any longer thinking about it? Could be part of a story. Hmmm...

Awesome story jedakk, I really enjoyed reading it and looked forward to doing so each day!

I liked the ending too. Kind of makes sense in a way tp me, Ellie's reprieve, since she essentially helped inadvertently rat out the rest of the cell. But I think I especially liked how you added the twist in with the rest of the revolutionary cell in how they were to be executed, rather than just mentioning that it all happened at once.

As to your question on someone volunteering, that would be an interesting story, even if it was a short one. I likely would after the first few drawings. Its not like someone at the end does not get to go.

Yes, I left the stim as a fictional "military-grade stimulant" intended for troops in battle. I don't know what it would be in reality or if there's anything like that at all. I know what it was like back in college (45 years ago - argh!) when I took No Doz caffeine tablets once because I couldn't afford the time to sleep. It was horrible, never did that again. It doesn't make you not tired, it just makes you not sleep even if you really wanted to.

I wrote that the doctor couldn't give her an anesthetic due to the stim just because it seemed like there might be a problem there. I also thought about him maybe doing some kind of local anesthesia, which might have been ok. I thought about the surgeons using a nerve block of some kind to take the nails out, but I actually do know something about those and I believe it would be hard to keep her anesthetized that way for long enough to do the surgery. Well, I'm not an expert in that area and don't pretend to be.
There really was such a thing. In Germany it was sold in pharmacies during the Second World War and for a few years afterwards under the name Pervitin and also given out to soldiers in chocolate. Today the stuff is not that popular anymore and is called "Chystel Meth" or methamphetamine.Schokakola_1941.jpg

I have to admit that I didn't like the ending very much, but reading why you choose that ending, I´m happy with it. You have giving us great finales since "Faithful Sayings" and this one will be the exception, I hope.
Yeah, I could tell you weren't going to like it before I posted it. Sorry for that, I knew it wouldn't please everyone.

Oh well, the way I look at it, she got crucified and she suffered for three and a half days on the cross. After this point, she was going to be incoherent, delirious anyway as she spiraled down to death. She wasn't going to be thinking or saying much more than gibberish. I just cut that part off and took it a different direction. And I did have two victims die on the cross.

There really was such a thing. In Germany it was sold in pharmacies during the Second World War and for a few years afterwards under the name Pervitin and also given out to soldiers in chocolate. Today the stuff is not that popular anymore and is called "Chystel Meth" or methamphetamine.View attachment 934378
That is very interesting! I had to look it up and read more about it. I probably should have researched more into "military-grade stimulants" for the story.

That is very interesting! I had to look it up and read more about it. I probably should have researched more into "military-grade stimulants" for the story.
Another option for military grade stimulant is modafinil. It was used by fighter pilots during the first gulf war (and probably still is).

Another option for military grade stimulant is modafinil. It was used by fighter pilots during the first gulf war (and probably still is).
I'll have to file it away for future reference. I've used the reference to "military-grade stimulants" before in other stories I think, although they might have been failed stories that I shelved and never posted. I have some of those and some I probably never should have posted, too.

I was in Saudi Arabia for the first Gulf War or the only Gulf War from my perspective. We had Scud attacks every night for a while. I still have a sack full of shrapnel I intended to cast into lucite plastic for a paperweight but never did. There was the war in Afghanistan, then there was the Iraq War. A CIA spook came to see me one night in Saudi Arabia before the invasion of Iraq to see what I thought about doing that, if you can believe it. I had lived in Saudi Arabia for many years and in Iran for a while before the revolution in 1979, and someone thought I might have some insight into Iraq and whether invading them was a good idea. I thought it was probably a bad idea and we'd be stuck there forever after if we did. Some people will only be ruled by force and will never share power with anyone, and that's the Iraqis and most of the others in the Middle East. Saddam Hussein, as bad as he was, knew that and kept all the factions under control. Maybe they should have listened to me, but they had smarter guys who thought differently.

Back
Top Bottom