Thread for finding members with Languages other than English

Go to CruxDreams.com
Теперь у нас есть русская группа, спасибо Мадиози.

Чтобы присоединиться, отправьте ЛС в Madiosi, ImageMaker или мне.

Now we have a Russian group, thanks to Madiosi.

To join, send PM to Madiosi, ImageMaker or me.

la pagina se me traduce solo que no me creía que era español real jajaja
Bueno soy también hispanohablante
No hablo bien o espanol o aleman. El vocabulario es el problema principal. Es verdad que Google no es ideal, pero si puede Usted leer assaz para entender el foro probablemente podria Usted reconcer una traduccion totalmente estupida o comica. Si Usted no se rie a mi espanol, prometo a no reirme de su ingles.

Mòran taing, a Naraku :) I'm not sure why you're 'surprised', but we'll let that pass. There's been one for Irish Gaeilge for longer, the Scottish Gaelic version produced some garbled Gaelic at first, but it does okay now, at least with fairly straightforward bits of English. Perhaps not surprisingly there's no Google translator for Manx or Cornish, though both languages are being 'revived' - more deplorable is the absence of Breton.

Mòran taing, a Naraku :) I'm not sure why you're 'surprised', but we'll let that pass. There's been one for Irish Gaeilge for longer, the Scottish Gaelic version produced some garbled Gaelic at first, but it does okay now, at least with fairly straightforward bits of English. Perhaps not surprisingly there's no Google translator for Manx or Cornish, though both languages are being 'revived' - more deplorable is the absence of Breton.
So at the risk of stirring up a nationalist firestorm, I will ask a question. I have read that in Ireland Irish Gaelic speakers are a minority and live mostly in the rural west (maybe that's wrong). In other words, the situation is like that for tribal languages in the United States. Most people, especially the younger ones, don't take the trouble to learn (and of course there is often no standardized grammar or vocabulary--it's just what granny says it is). Is that in issue in Scotland as well--everybody is a proud nationalist but only a minority walk the walk? I do concede that the orthography is appalling--worse than Polish--so it isn't that easy.

So at the risk of stirring up a nationalist firestorm, I will ask a question. I have read that in Ireland Irish Gaelic speakers are a minority and live mostly in the rural west (maybe that's wrong). In other words, the situation is like that for tribal languages in the United States. Most people, especially the younger ones, don't take the trouble to learn (and of course there is often no standardized grammar or vocabulary--it's just what granny says it is). Is that in issue in Scotland as well--everybody is a proud nationalist but only a minority walk the walk? I do concede that the orthography is appalling--worse than Polish--so it isn't that easy.
Yes, Gaelic/ Gaeilge are minority languages in both countries, and Scots/ Ulster Scots are also a language quite distinct from English, with a history and literary tradition of its own. Irish Gaeilge was promoted as the national language in the time of the Free State and subsequent Republic, but it was imposed on bairns in school in such a ruthless and unappealing way, nearly all were turned off it. In Scotland, Gaelic survived in the Highlands and (Hebridean) Islands, but English was taught in the schools (mainly Presbyterian Church of Scotland, which had a good system of parish schools as early as the 17th century, long before England!) - in the Catholic areas (where any Catholic schools were unofficial and illegal), and a few Protestant ones, Gaelic was used, but never systematically taught. However, there is something of a revival in both countries now, with Gaelic-medium nursery and primary schools proving quite popular in Glasgow, Edinburgh - and likewise Dublin, Belfast etc. - as well as in the surviving Gàidhealtachd/ Gaeltacht (and even of Manx on the Isle of Man!), and secondary-level courses and public exams offered in several schools.

The status of Scots (aka Lallans) in Lowland Scotland is less well-supported, though there's good work being done in several primary schools. In NI, the status of the Irish language, and of Ulster Scots, is a very thorny question, one of the highly inflammable matters that is threatening the Power-Sharing Executive, and even the Good Friday Agreement.

The spelling of Gaelic looks scary, but it's in fact quite simple and very regular - as with English and Polish, it's the phonology of the language that challenges the roman alphabet, notably in the case of Gaelic the distinction between 'broad' and 'slender' consonants, as well as unaspirated/ aspirated. So bean with 'broad' -n is 'a woman', beinn with 'slender' (palatalised) n is 'a mountain', a'bhean with aspirated b (actually pronounced 'v') is 'the woman', a'bheinn 'the mountain', likewise feminine, but am beannan is 'the little hill', with 'broad' -nn- and -n, and unaspirated b as it's masculine.

Yes, Gaelic/ Gaeilge are minority languages in both countries, and Scots/ Ulster Scots are also a language quite distinct from English, with a history and literary tradition of its own. Irish Gaeilge was promoted as the national language in the time of the Free State and subsequent Republic, but it was imposed on bairns in school in such a ruthless and unappealing way, nearly all were turned off it. In Scotland, Gaelic survived in the Highlands and (Hebridean) Islands, but English was taught in the schools (mainly Presbyterian Church of Scotland, which had a good system of parish schools as early as the 17th century, long before England!) - in the Catholic areas (where any Catholic schools were unofficial and illegal), and a few Protestant ones, Gaelic was used, but never systematically taught. However, there is something of a revival in both countries now, with Gaelic-medium nursery and primary schools proving quite popular in Glasgow, Edinburgh - and likewise Dublin, Belfast etc. - as well as in the surviving Gàidhealtachd/ Gaeltacht (and even of Manx on the Isle of Man!), and secondary-level courses and public exams offered in several schools.

The status of Scots (aka Lallans) in Lowland Scotland is less well-supported, though there's good work being done in several primary schools. In NI, the status of the Irish language, and of Ulster Scots, is a very thorny question, one of the highly inflammable matters that is threatening the Power-Sharing Executive, and even the Good Friday Agreement.

The spelling of Gaelic looks scary, but it's in fact quite simple and very regular - as with English and Polish, it's the phonology of the language that challenges the roman alphabet, notably in the case of Gaelic the distinction between 'broad' and 'slender' consonants, as well as unaspirated/ aspirated. So bean with 'broad' -n is 'a woman', beinn with 'slender' (palatalised) n is 'a mountain', a'bhean with aspirated b (actually pronounced 'v') is 'the woman', a'bheinn 'the mountain', likewise feminine, but am beannan is 'the little hill', with 'broad' -nn- and -n, and unaspirated b as it's masculine.
That's an interesting update. The Crux Forums have lots of variety -- come for the images of gorgeous naked chicks being crucified, stay for the insights into rural language and culture.

Last edited:

Yes there are two problems. The first is that there are sounds that are foreign to English speakers (Bantu "clicks" are an example). The second is that somebody actually tries to represent them with a latin alphabet. Spanish had to add letters to represent some sounds (which seems to me to make things easier--you know that this is a weird one but you learned the sound and you get kicked out of your mindset of trying to produce the sound based on the sounds of the letters you're used to). So Polish tries to use latin letters to represent the Russian sounds that Cyrill represented with an alphabet based on ancient Greek (where aspiration is handled with "accents" which my lazy mind still hasn't nailed down). The storied, now retired, basketball coach at Duke University in North Carolina is named "Kryczynski", and (especially in a place south of the Mason-Dixon line) everybody just says "Coach K". That is a problem in the Army, though, when sergeants and officers can't pronounce your name correctly and you have to learn what they say when they want you--often different garblings from different superiors.
Well, there are lots of places in the US where I feel lost linguistically, but then Scotland is a much smaller place.
In a place like Northern Ireland, language is obviously a proxy for religion, but nowadays most people are heathens anyway and don't want the Church telling them what to do. So it's irrational.
One day I hope to have a robot (maybe in the form of a grizzly bear cub or a snowy owl) which will just take what I want to say and convert it into something my counter-party will understand, and vice versa, and I can be done with the whole mess and just concentrate on math and gardening.
There was an English professor whose parents immigrated from Germany. He knew both languages, but didn't realize it. He just knew to use one set of words in school and another set of words at home--kids can just pick things up naturally before adults make it hard by making them learn rules. And apparently Prince Charles in college had a hell of a time with Welsh--I don't know whether he is actually fluent or not today.

Last edited:

Although I think it's a shame that voice output is not possible on Google Translate for the Celtic languages. I would really like to hear the words spoken.

Yes there are two problems. The first is that there are sounds that are foreign to English speakers (Bantu "clicks" are an example). The second is that somebody actually tries to represent them with a latin alphabet. Spanish had to add letters to represent some sounds (which seems to me to make things easier--you know that this is a weird one but you learned the sound and you get kicked out of your mindset of trying to produce the sound based on the sounds of the letters you're used to). So Polish tries to use latin letters to represent the Russian sounds that Cyrill represented with an alphabet based on ancient Greek (where aspiration is handled with "accents" which my lazy mind still hasn't nailed down). The storied, now retired, basketball coach at Duke University in North Carolina is named "Kryczynski", and (especially in a place south of the Mason-Dixon line) everybody just says "Coach K". That is a problem in the Army, though, when sergeants and officers can't pronounce your name correctly and you have to learn what they say when they want you--often different garblings from different superiors.
Well, there are lots of places in the US where I feel lost linguistically, but then Scotland is a much smaller place.
In a place like Northern Ireland, language is obviously a proxy for religion, but nowadays most people are heathens anyway and don't want the Church telling them what to do. So it's irrational.
One day I hope to have a robot (maybe in the form of a grizzly bear cub or a snowy owl) which will just take what I want to say and convert it into something my counter-party will understand, and vice versa, and I can be done with the whole mess and just concentrate on math and gardening.
There was an English professor whose parents immigrated from Germany. He knew both languages, but didn't realize it. He just knew to use one set of words in school and another set of words at home--kids can just pick things up naturally before adults make it hard by making them learn rules. And apparently Prince Charles in college had a hell of a time with Welsh--I don't know whether he is actually fluent or not today.
But I think the younger a person is, the easier it is to learn languages. We had some time ago when my nephew got married. Visit from his wife's girlfriend. They live in Sweden and both work at the university. He is Spanish, she is German and her little daughter, 6 years old, has no problems using several languages. She speaks German with mom, Spanish with dad, and since the parents don't speak each other's mother tongues so perfectly, they also talk in English. No problem for the no girl, who of course also has to speak Swedish in her kindergarten. The little one really impressed me.

Back
Top Bottom