Thread for finding members with Languages other than English

Go to CruxDreams.com

Meanwhile in English
Young children attend a Kindergarten (“children’s garden”). Gesundheit doesn’t really mean “bless you,” it means “health” — the good variety being implied. Psychiatrists speak of Angst (fear) and Gestalt (form) psychology, and when something is broken, it’s kaputt. Although not every English-speaker knows that Fahrvergnügen is “driving pleasure,” most do know that Volkswagen means “people’s car.” Musical works can have a Leitmotiv. Our cultural view of the world is called a Weltanschauung by historians or philosophers. Such terms are commonly understood by most well-read English-speakers, and all of them have been borrowed from German.
More English words borrowed from German:
(Notice how many have to do with food!) – blitz, blitzkrieg, cobalt, dachshund, delicatessen, ersatz, frankfurter, glockenspiel, hinterland, kaffeeklatsch, Munster and Limburger (cheeses named for German cities), pilsner (glass, beer), pretzel, quartz, rucksack, sauerkraut, schnaps, (apple) strudel, waltz, wiener. From Low German: brake, dote, tackle.

Meanwhile in English
Young children attend a Kindergarten (“children’s garden”). Gesundheit doesn’t really mean “bless you,” it means “health” — the good variety being implied. Psychiatrists speak of Angst (fear) and Gestalt (form) psychology, and when something is broken, it’s kaputt. Although not every English-speaker knows that Fahrvergnügen is “driving pleasure,” most do know that Volkswagen means “people’s car.” Musical works can have a Leitmotiv. Our cultural view of the world is called a Weltanschauung by historians or philosophers. Such terms are commonly understood by most well-read English-speakers, and all of them have been borrowed from German.
More English words borrowed from German:
(Notice how many have to do with food!) – blitz, blitzkrieg, cobalt, dachshund, delicatessen, ersatz, frankfurter, glockenspiel, hinterland, kaffeeklatsch, Munster and Limburger (cheeses named for German cities), pilsner (glass, beer), pretzel, quartz, rucksack, sauerkraut, schnaps, (apple) strudel, waltz, wiener. From Low German: brake, dote, tackle.

You missed “autobahn”.

Thats a very good idea!

Όποιος θέλει μπορεί να μου στείλει να τον προσθέσω στην ομαδική συνομιλία!
και οποια θέλει μπορεί να μου στείλει να την προσθέσω στην ομαδική συνομιλία! :)

blitz, blitzkrieg, cobalt, dachshund, delicatessen, ersatz, frankfurter, glockenspiel, hinterland, kaffeeklatsch, Munster and Limburger (cheeses named for German cities), pilsner (glass, beer), pretzel, quartz, rucksack, sauerkraut, schnaps, (apple) strudel, waltz, wiener. From Low German: brake, dote, tackle.
A few more - aurochs (at least palaeontologists and archaeologists write about them - but they usually think the singular is auroch, they can't get their heads round it being aurochs aurochsen like ox oxen), bismuth, fahrenheit, feldspar, fugelhorn, gneiss, greywacke, hamster, hock, lager, mangelwurzel, meerschaum (smoking pipe), plunder, poodle, shale, sleazy, swindler, zinc... (quite a lot more came from Old/ Middle High German via French)
Low German loans aren't easy to sort from Dutch, Frisian or unrecorded Old English (Anglo-Saxon) words - but askew, bout, cranberry, dowel, drill, dude, fib, frill, fuddle, grime, haze, hawker (pedlar), huckster, jerkin, kale, mate (noun), mink, minx, mug, pack, poll, prowl, punk, queer, rifle, shudder, slight, smug, smuggle, spray, trice, tub, tuck ... all probably from LG.

Entonces, he abierto este hilo privado. Podemos invitar a más hispanohablantes a unirse.
Cualquier persona que quiera unirse a un grupo de conversación en español, pregúnteme
o Cancerberos200 o Max758.

We have a Spanish chat group now, anyone who'd like to join can ask me or Cancerbos200 or Max758.

Entonces, he abierto este hilo privado. Podemos invitar a más hispanohablantes a unirse.
Cualquier persona que quiera unirse a un grupo de conversación en español, pregúnteme

We have a Spanish chat group now, anyone who'd like to join can ask me or Cancerbos200 or Max758.

¡Yo también hablo español y me gustaría mucho formar parte de este grupo!

I only hope that all people participating to these PMs will not forget that we're also a community and it would be important that they will stay on the different forums rather than only to speak in PM ... ;)

Considering my English is terrible (still wondered how people read still read my messages) and my French almost forgotten, if someone would speak in Italian, my mother language, I am available.
We have a thread for Italian speakers. I’ll see to getting you invited.

In 1959, a mathematics professor from Harvard released a comedy-music album titled "An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer. I mention it for a song that was brought to mind by the discussion of how well (or not) English speakers speak English. I moved to the Southern US and occasionally run into someone like the Captain in this song. If you don't want to hear the whole thing, go to
Tom Lehrer is always recommendable, best is "Wernher von Braun who doesn't care where his rocket came down!"

También hablo español :33, pueden añadirme al grupo

Back
Top Bottom