Traffic optimization

Go to CruxDreams.com
You are right. If you use some browsers like Chrome, however, it will still report the site as insecure as long as the URLs of those two images mentioned above remaine as they are. It's trivial to change them so hopefully it won't take too long before it can be fixed.
Thanks - even as you were typing that, I was about to report that I tried https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/ on Firefox and got put through to the site with the same url intact, but on Chrome in reverts to 'Not Secure'. But I understand you're saying that's a temporary artefact as a small part of the set-up isn't 'covered'. Thanks for making things clear enough even for me to get my head round them! :D

Following the recent discussion about externally hosted material and links to external sites,
note that we've recently added these clauses to the Rules in the Welcome Pack sent to new members:

Moderators reserve the right to down-size or remove images that make excessive demands on site usage, or take up disproportionate space within threads, and to remove links to sites that may introduce content that is unacceptable on this site, or may introduce threats to members' devices.

URL links to other sites: occasional links to 'safe' sites that are of genuine, relevant interest may be permitted, but the Forums are not to be used as a platform for persistent, repeated posting of links to other sites. Again, moderators reserve the right to delete any links to sites that may introduce pop-ups, illegal content, or malware, adware etc.

The insecure warning about images is caused by the problem I mentioned in my previous post
Thanks for the consultation.
In the settings, I replaced the http with https on the link to the main page and made these changes on the links to the images on the first page.

Please report if you see any other problems.

Thanks for the consultation.
In the settings, I replaced the http with https on the link to the main page and made these changes on the links to the images on the first page.

Please report if you see any other problems.
When I log on to the main page, it is secure. But then when I go to a thread, it says not secure. This happens in both Chrome and Firefox.

There is a good news and sort of a 'bad' news. But the good news first: now it looks like HTTPS is working fine! (Thanks much for your efforts @ImageMaker! :)). You don't have to care about putting the "/xf/" suffix everytime now, because it was a temporary workaround which is not needed any more.

But there is the 'bad' news also, which is related to what windar asked above:

When I log on to the main page, it is secure. But then when I go to a thread, it says not secure. This happens in both Chrome and Firefox.

I'm sorry but I was wrong about one detail in what I posted in this thread. I thought only those resources (e.g. images, scripts, etc) which originate from the main page (i.e. https://cruxforum.com) that count when the browser determines if the website is perfectly secure. But it turns out that even external resources affect the result, like the case with an externally hosted signature image which is linked using HTTP (not HTTPS) protocol.

That is why the problem windar is reporting happens. But as far as I understand, the actual security 'risk' of mixing passive resources (in a word, images or videos, rather than scripts) is quite marginal at best. Still, it's an eye sore to see that warning message so we can probably take a measure to deal with that problem. There are several approaches we may consider for that:

1. Replacing insecure images used in user contents.

This is the ideal, but probably a bit impractical solution. However, even if we need to take another approach it's still a good practice to follow, so I'll mention it first.

Even though it may (just 'may') not be @Barbaria1 who caused the infamous 2013 crash, it turned out it was indeed she who (partly) caused the problem windar reported! :D She is using a banner image in her signature which is hosted on an external server. But the problem is that it's using the insecure HTTP protocol, so basically when everytime people see her post in a thread, the browser report the website as partly insecure.

But just hold your pitchforks folks, because it's not only her who's responsible for the message. @Eulalia also uses such an image, for example, and there might be many others as well. And I only mentioned those names to bring this matter to their attention (the solution to the problem will follow soon, so please read on.)

The same goes for any image a user may embed in one's post. As such, it's probably impractical to track down all those members and their posts to fix such issues one by one, so I'll mention an alternative below. But it's still a good practice to use only secure resources, so I'd like to encourage all our members to follow the below recommendations:

@everyone:

If you use an image in your signature, ensure that the URL starts with https://, not http://. In case it's HTTP, try changing it to HTTPS and see if it works that way. But in case it doesn't (as with Barbaria's case), try uploading the image to a more secure server (e.g. imgur.com) and link it using the HTTPS URL.

The same applies to images you may use in your post. If you are embedding an externally hosted image, ensure that it uses HTTPS using the above mentioned method.

(EDIT: @Eulalia Maybe we could mention this advise in our forum rules?)

2. Using a Cloudflare magic

Fortunately, it looks like Cloudflare also provides quite a neat feature which may be used to deal with this problem for free. Basically it automatically changes such insecure URLS before it serves the content. But my hunch tells me that it will work probably for 80% of the cases, but not for such a case like Barbaria's where the linked server itself does not support HTTPS.

But as it will be rather impractical to track down all the cases one by one, I suppose it's a much better to let Cloudflare to fix most of the problems while we can deal with the few remaining exceptions.

@ImageMaker Could you try just one more thing to fix this problem? Login to your Cloudflare console and enable "Automatic HTTPS Rewrites" option as shown below:

https-rewrite-screen.png

(Image hosted on an external host)

3. Using a XenForo magic

It looks like XenForo also provides its own 'magic' to help its users dealing with the problem. It's called "Image Proxy" which is included in the guide I linked in my previous post. However, I actually advise against using this measure at this moment because it can potentially increase the traffic directed to the CF's server.

We don't know yet how much traffic the CDN will save for us which may very well be marginal, since we decided not to cache attachments themselves. So, probably it's a bad idea to give up what little traffic we've reduced to remove the warning message which doesn't really pose a significant security threat.

But we may consider using it, in case the migration to a CDN proves a significant improvement in terms of the reduced traffic, and if those measures mentioned above turn out to be difficult to enforce.

But all in all, I regard the migration to HTTPS is now practically done. Our site is now as secure as most others, so your login information is no longer vulnerable to the man-in-the-middle type attacks.

So, finally:

@everyone:

You can now update the bookmark in your browser to "https://www.cruxforums.com". It's not strictly mandatory anymore, but if you use the old address (e.g. http://www.cruxforums.com") you will automatically redirected to the new site incurring a small amount of delay. So it's a good idea to update it now.

Last edited:
Ooops. I'll manage without a fancy signature for now, with encouraging messages to supporters, it's a bit cluttered anyway.

But are you saying anyone who embeds an externally hosted image etc. may (inadvertently) disable the site's 'secure' status?

Ooops. I'll manage without a fancy signature for now, with encouraging messages to supporters, it's a bit cluttered anyway.

But are you saying anyone who embeds an externally hosted image etc. may (inadvertently) disable the site's 'secure' status?
Unfortunately it looks like that way. But as I understand it, the "Cloudflare magic" I mentioned above may be able to automatically fix it, if the origin server supports HTTPS. The "XenForo magic" may be able to fix it regardless of the orgin server's capabilities, but it may incur additional strain to our server, so I think we better try the Cloudflare option while encouraging people to only use HTTPS URLs for embedding images in their posts and signatures.

And even if with the warning message, the site itself is quite secure now. So the occasional warning we get when we open a thread which include such signature images is more of an annoyance than an actual threat.

Yes, it looks that way, Eul. If I open pages 1,2 or 4 of this thread, now that you have removed your signature, it's secure. But if I open page 3, where @Barbaria1 has her signature, it says not secure. So, as usual, it's all Moore's fault! I will have to discipline her severely. Either she'll have to take 24 cane strokes or she'll have to watch 24 episodes of Seinfeld. Come to think of it, why not both???

I will explain how to track down the source of the problem (in this case, a non-secure image linked in a post or a signature), so that we may inform the author and encourage him or her to change it:

If you see the warning message complaining that a part of the page is insecure, open the developer console if your browser supports one (most does, and can be accessed by pressing F12) and you will see something like this:
1599608025156.png

Then expand the message to reveal the detailed information, so you may find out whom you should stab with your pitchforks:
1599608157510.png

The second URL is the one that is causing the problem. Click on it to reveal the culprit:
1599608242641.png

Then, grab your pitc.... er... politely inform the author to change her or his image, following the procedure described in my previous post.

Lastly, run as fast as you can, so you can escape from Barbaria's demerits.

Hmmmmm ... no pitchforks. I believe it was Madiosi who created my signature and set it up for me. I like it and don’t want to give it up. Does this mean it’s hosted by a server that Madiosi uses? And if so, all I have to do is ask him to please change it to https?

Hmmmmm ... no pitchforks. I believe it was Madiosi who created my signature and set it up for me. I like it and don’t want to give it up. Does this mean it’s hosted by a server that Madiosi uses? And if so, all I have to do is ask him to please change it to https?
No, you don't have to give it up. But it seems that you'll need to download that image and upload it elsewhere, like imgur.com or any other image hosting service.

(You are right in assuming that the image is currently hosted on a server, apparently managed by Madiosi.)

Of course, it can be also fixed if Madiosi could enable HTTPS support to his server (which is a good idea, by the way) but it can be quite a hassle in case he's not using a service like AWS or Cloudflare which provides an easy way to do so.

So, the easiest option would be 1) download the image to your PC (right click on it and you should see an option) 2) register to an image hosting service like imgur.com, 3) upload it to the service, preferrably with a setting it's only visible to those who have the link (Imgur supports that), 4) then finally, copy the new URL of the image and use it to replace your old signature image on CF.

Hope I explained it well, but if you find any of the steps confusing, please feel free to let me know.

All this talk of signatures had me scratching my head ... until realized I turned off the display of signatures below posts years ago. So I haven't been seeing any of those security issues due to remotely linked banners in signatures either.
The reason I originally turned them off is that ... especially when there are lots of shorter posts, sometimes the signatures are longer than the posts and they can get quite distracting ... but that's just me ... for now just to see how it's 'supposed' to look I've turned them back on again.

I will explain how to track down the source of the problem (in this case, a non-secure image linked in a post or a signature), so that we may inform the author and encourage him or her to change it:

If you see the warning message complaining that a part of the page is insecure, open the developer console if your browser supports one (most does, and can be accessed by pressing F12) and you will see something like this:
View attachment 899068

Then expand the message to reveal the detailed information, so you may find out whom you should stab with your pitchforks:
View attachment 899069

The second URL is the one that is causing the problem. Click on it to reveal the culprit:
View attachment 899072

Then, grab your pitc.... er... politely inform the author to change her or his image, following the procedure described in my previous post.

Lastly, run as fast as you can, so you can escape from Barbaria's demerits.
No risk, no fun!
Seriously, the place of Barb's signature are not dangerous.

No risk, no fun!
Seriously, the place of Barb's signature are not dangerous.
Yeah, it's not a real danger as it's more of an annoyance as I mentioned above. The major security vulnerability is gone when we enabled the SSL.

That being said, I'd still encourage people to use only HTTPS links to external images, as it's relatively easy to fix while failing to do so will trigger that warning icon and message on other members' browser which may feel a bit annoying to some.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not a real danger as it's more of an annoyance as I mentioned above. The major security vulnerability is gone when we enabled the SSL.

That being said, I'd still encourage people to use only HTTPS links to external images, as it's relatively easy to fix while failing to do so will trigger that warning icon and message on other members browser which potentially feel a bit annoying to some.
So images inserted into posts that are hosted on non https sites would have the same effect?
But hyperlinks to such sites (which are bigger worry really, some may be seriously dodgy) presumably wouldn't?

So images inserted into posts that are hosted on non https sites would have the same effect?
But hyperlinks to such sites (which are bigger worry really, some may be seriously dodgy) presumably wouldn't?
yes that's how it works ... because as soon as you load the page, inserted images will be loaded and so your browser will contact insecure servers without you having a chance to intervene. Hence a warning. The hyperlinks are something you follow voluntarily ... if it's a known malware site many browsers will alert before you enter but if it's a dodgy gray thing ... the browser will let you, as it's your choice.

Back
Top Bottom