Trailer Park Trash Trixie's Turkish Torment

Go to CruxDreams.com
United States Department of State

[Equivalent to the ministry of foreign affairs of other nations, its primary duties are advising the U.S. president, administering diplomatic missions, negotiating international treaties and agreements, and representing the U.S. at the United Nations. Secretaries of state also have domestic responsibilities, entrusted in 1789, when the position was first created. These include the protection and custody of the Great Seal of the United States and the preparation of some presidential proclamations.]

“Hello, South Alabama Technical Institute, Guidance Office, Dr. Sullivan speaking.” Beatrix’s voice caught in her throat as she fought back tears.
“Hello Dr. Sullivan, this is Robin Anderson from Congresswoman Sheilah Rogers’ office in Washington, are you OK? You don’t sound well.”
“Good afternoon Mr. Anderson. I am fine, just a touch of allergies I think.”
“That’s too bad. Take care of yourself. I called because I’ve got wonderful news from the Congresswoman.”
“Oh really? And what is that?” Dr. Sullivan’s reaction was tempered by the fact that he sounded like every government staffer, who regarded the publishing of another set of forms to be completed as wonderful news.
“Well,” said Robin, a little disappointed at her reaction. He then put it down to her allergies and resumed his enthusiastic attitude, “As you may know, Congresswoman Rogers has been a tireless crusader since arriving here in Washington, for the Federal agencies to begin recruiting from such disadvantaged areas as Southern Alabama. Needless to say, she has had to overcome a lot of inertia.”
“Of course,” agreed Beatrix, finding discussion of Washington politics and bureaucracy tiring while she knew Trixie was waiting in the hall, her dreams crushed.
“Fortunately, Sheilah’s prime committee assignment this session is on the Committee on Foreign Affairs, which, naturally, you know has oversight for the US Department of State. By a remarkably happy coincidence, she had a breakfast meeting scheduled this morning with Carol Perez, who was just approved by the Senate on January 2nd, as the Director-General of the Foreign Service. You can, of course, recognize the marvelous serendipity of the timing!”
My God! Thought Sullivan. How much more of this inside baseball will he cover before getting to the point? “Yes, of course.”
“Well, the long and the short of it is that the Congresswoman, with Director General who is the head of personnel at the State Department all to herself, wouldn’t let her go until she promised to send a recruiting team to Alabama, and to SATI in particular, looking for legal secretaries for US Embassies abroad! Our Ms. Thomson now has a fighting chance for a prime job in the State Department, seeing the world!”
“OH MY GOD!!!” screamed Beatrix, when she heard this. After those words, she was incoherent for the next minute.
Anderson chuckled with pleasure on the other end of the line and gave the Counselor a moment to calm down. Then she began spewing thanks and gratitude without pause or limit. When they could have an exchange of information, he gave her the details of the visit to write down and cautioned her to help prepare “Our little Trixie” for the interview. Dr. Sullivan promised to do so and then told him she would pass on the good news to the student.

As she hung up the phone, Dr. Sullivan, uncharacteristically shouted through her door. “Trixie! Get in here now!”
Great to see your return PrPr - A welcome update on the early career steps of our plucky young lady...

Trixie shuffled dejectedly into the office, expecting more bad news. However, Dr. Sullivan jumped up from her desk and gave the petite redhead a big hug. Still holding on to the cute girl, Beatrix spilled out the good news almost too fast for her mouth to handle.
Trixie was puzzled at first, but her face soon burst into glowing sunshine, and she shrieked for joy. When Dr. Sullivan finished her breathless recitation, the two began hopping up and down. They looked for all the world, like two High School cheerleaders celebrating their team scoring the winning goal.

As they finally stopped jumping and just stood, breathless, each holding tight to the other, Beatrix was suddenly conscious of her one hand tightly grasping Trixie's round, soft butt, pressing their hips firmly together. The awareness of the physical contact with this girl for whom she had developed a powerful longing drove the older woman to take further action. With Trixie's sweet, freckled face only inches from her own and her full, pink lips slightly open as she panted with exertion, the Counselor leaned in and planted her lips in a full, mouth-to-mouth kiss.
Trixie, hardly thinking rationally at the moment, responded instinctively by pressing her lips against Beatrix's in a chaste kiss. However, a moment later, Dr. Sullivan, succumbing to her raging desires, slipped her tongue slightly forward and between the younger woman's lips, running it back and forth, sensuously over her pearly teeth. At the same time, her hand kneaded that redhead's butt.
Trixie suddenly realized what was happening and jerked her head back in shock, and blushed deeply. "Oh, Dr. Sullivan! We mustn't!"

It took a second for Beatrix to regain her reason as the beautiful face of the girl she loved was right in front of her. But Trixie's words brought her back to reality. Both immediately disentangled their arms and awkwardly separated to an appropriate distance. Stammering grunts from each were succeeded by Dr. Sullivan managing to return to a professional posture.
“Ahem. Yes, just so. I’m afraid we both got a bit carried away by the wonderful news.”
Trixie whispered, “Yes," while lowering her head and continuing to blush in a most charming way.
“Anyway. Enough rejoicing. We have work ahead. This job is by no means guaranteed. Have you ever had a job interview, Trixie?”

“No,” blurted out the girl, looking up with sudden fear. “I have no idea what to do.”
“It’s OK,” said Dr. Sullivan. "That's what we Guidance Counselors are for. Let's find a way to schedule several practice interviews with me pretending to be the recruiter. I’ll have you interviewing like a pro before they get here!”
“Oh, Dr. Sullivan!” Trixie’s gratitude also drove her into Beatrix’s arms again, but she managed to contain herself. The girl was confused by her feelings. The hug and kiss had felt so good But, it was so wrong! "That is wonderful of you!" she said, looking down again.
"Just my job, my dear." (Beatrice allowed herself the unprofessional form of address – how he wanted to say other, more intimate words!.) "Now sit down over there, and I'll go over with you the basics of a job interview."
Trixie hurried into the chair and sat most primly while giving Dr. Sullivan her full attention.

Trixie shuffled dejectedly into the office, expecting more bad news. However, Dr. Sullivan jumped up from her desk and gave the petite redhead a big hug. Still holding on to the cute girl, Beatrix spilled out the good news almost too fast for her mouth to handle.
Trixie was puzzled at first, but her face soon burst into glowing sunshine, and she shrieked for joy. When Dr. Sullivan finished her breathless recitation, the two began hopping up and down. They looked for all the world, like two High School cheerleaders celebrating their team scoring the winning goal.

As they finally stopped jumping and just stood, breathless, each holding tight to the other, Beatrix was suddenly conscious of her one hand tightly grasping Trixie's round, soft butt, pressing their hips firmly together. The awareness of the physical contact with this girl for whom she had developed a powerful longing drove the older woman to take further action. With Trixie's sweet, freckled face only inches from her own and her full, pink lips slightly open as she panted with exertion, the Counselor leaned in and planted her lips in a full, mouth-to-mouth kiss.
Trixie, hardly thinking rationally at the moment, responded instinctively by pressing her lips against Beatrix's in a chaste kiss. However, a moment later, Dr. Sullivan, succumbing to her raging desires, slipped her tongue slightly forward and between the younger woman's lips, running it back and forth, sensuously over her pearly teeth. At the same time, her hand kneaded that redhead's butt.
Trixie suddenly realized what was happening and jerked her head back in shock, and blushed deeply. "Oh, Dr. Sullivan! We mustn't!"

It took a second for Beatrix to regain her reason as the beautiful face of the girl she loved was right in front of her. But Trixie's words brought her back to reality. Both immediately disentangled their arms and awkwardly separated to an appropriate distance. Stammering grunts from each were succeeded by Dr. Sullivan managing to return to a professional posture.
“Ahem. Yes, just so. I’m afraid we both got a bit carried away by the wonderful news.”
Trixie whispered, “Yes," while lowering her head and continuing to blush in a most charming way.
“Anyway. Enough rejoicing. We have work ahead. This job is by no means guaranteed. Have you ever had a job interview, Trixie?”

“No,” blurted out the girl, looking up with sudden fear. “I have no idea what to do.”
“It’s OK,” said Dr. Sullivan. "That's what we Guidance Counselors are for. Let's find a way to schedule several practice interviews with me pretending to be the recruiter. I’ll have you interviewing like a pro before they get here!”
“Oh, Dr. Sullivan!” Trixie’s gratitude also drove her into Beatrix’s arms again, but she managed to contain herself. The girl was confused by her feelings. The hug and kiss had felt so good But, it was so wrong! "That is wonderful of you!" she said, looking down again.
"Just my job, my dear." (Beatrice allowed herself the unprofessional form of address – how he wanted to say other, more intimate words!.) "Now sit down over there, and I'll go over with you the basics of a job interview."
Trixie hurried into the chair and sat most primly while giving Dr. Sullivan her full attention.
Methinks that Trix is fighting her own feelings when it comes to Beatrice... but good news on the job prospecting front :) ... Nice chapter

Cleatus Darden was the Senior Pastor of Union AME Church in Little Rock, Arkansas, in the 1950s. The church was large and relatively prosperous for a Black church. Cleatus believed strongly in the burgeoning civil rights movement in general and school desegregation in particular. But he was a quiet, easy-going person who disliked conflict. Nevertheless, on September 4th, 1957, when the “Little Rock Nine” black students were scheduled to be enrolled at Central High, Cleatus joined other pastors and church members downtown to support the young people.

The Governor mobilized the Arkansas National Guard ostensibly to "prevent violence," but in reality to block the Black students from entering the school. The Guard did nothing to restrain the small white mob that had gathered from attacking any Blacks they saw. Cleatus was severely beaten and had to be taken to the hospital. He recovered, but his left arm was so severely injured that he never again could raise it above his head.
The shock and trauma of her husband's injuries sent his eight-month pregnant wife into premature labor. Fortunately, she delivered a healthy, though undersized boy, who was named, at the insistence of Cleatus, Terrence after Terrence Roberts, one of the Nine.

Terry Darden grew and soon caught up to the appropriate weight for his age. Later, he was one of the bigger kids in his class and became a star football player in High School. After High School, Terry went to Grambling State University, a historically black university in Grambling, Louisiana. He played for the Grambling State Tigers, a small-school powerhouse with more than 200 players who have gone on to play professional football. In Terry's senior year, the team was the SWAC (South West Athletic Conference) champions and tied as the national black college champions. Along with success on the field, Terry worked tirelessly at his studies and graduated third in his class, majoring in public administration.
Darden's excellent record and widespread name recognition in his hometown brought his name to the attention of Dale Bumpers, one of Arkansas' U.S. Senators. "Dandy Dale," as he was known, secured the young man a position in the personnel administration department of the U.S. State Department.

Personable, easy-going, yet meticulously detailed and hard-working, Darden excelled in his job. Though residual discrimination slowed his advancement, he eventually rose to the position of chief recruiter in 2010. Now, with less than three years until retirement, Terry could pick and choose his assignments. When he heard of the mission to recruit disadvantaged office professionals in South Alabama, he jumped at the chance to lead the team.

Cleatus Darden was the Senior Pastor of Union AME Church in Little Rock, Arkansas, in the 1950s. The church was large and relatively prosperous for a Black church. Cleatus believed strongly in the burgeoning civil rights movement in general and school desegregation in particular. But he was a quiet, easy-going person who disliked conflict. Nevertheless, on September 4th, 1957, when the “Little Rock Nine” black students were scheduled to be enrolled at Central High, Cleatus joined other pastors and church members downtown to support the young people.

The Governor mobilized the Arkansas National Guard ostensibly to "prevent violence," but in reality to block the Black students from entering the school. The Guard did nothing to restrain the small white mob that had gathered from attacking any Blacks they saw. Cleatus was severely beaten and had to be taken to the hospital. He recovered, but his left arm was so severely injured that he never again could raise it above his head.
The shock and trauma of her husband's injuries sent his eight-month pregnant wife into premature labor. Fortunately, she delivered a healthy, though undersized boy, who was named, at the insistence of Cleatus, Terrence after Terrence Roberts, one of the Nine.

Terry Darden grew and soon caught up to the appropriate weight for his age. Later, he was one of the bigger kids in his class and became a star football player in High School. After High School, Terry went to Grambling State University, a historically black university in Grambling, Louisiana. He played for the Grambling State Tigers, a small-school powerhouse with more than 200 players who have gone on to play professional football. In Terry's senior year, the team was the SWAC (South West Athletic Conference) champions and tied as the national black college champions. Along with success on the field, Terry worked tirelessly at his studies and graduated third in his class, majoring in public administration.
Darden's excellent record and widespread name recognition in his hometown brought his name to the attention of Dale Bumpers, one of Arkansas' U.S. Senators. "Dandy Dale," as he was known, secured the young man a position in the personnel administration department of the U.S. State Department.

Personable, easy-going, yet meticulously detailed and hard-working, Darden excelled in his job. Though residual discrimination slowed his advancement, he eventually rose to the position of chief recruiter in 2010. Now, with less than three years until retirement, Terry could pick and choose his assignments. When he heard of the mission to recruit disadvantaged office professionals in South Alabama, he jumped at the chance to lead the team.
Not sure quite where this fits as yet ... but it sure adds to the build up!

Not sure quite where this fits as yet ... but it sure adds to the build up!
I think it helps to build the portrait of the late 20th/early 21st century American South that PrPr is so carefully constructing as both a backdrop and propelling force to Trixie’s story. The historical and geographical detailing is both exacting and revealing. As I have often said, CF (in the right hands) can be quite educational,

I think it helps to build the portrait of the late 20th/early 21st century American South that PrPr is so carefully constructing as both a backdrop and propelling force to Trixie’s story. The historical and geographical detailing is both exacting and revealing. As I have often said, CF (in the right hands) can be quite educational,
I completely agree with the previous participant.
And it is also a gift for non-English-speaking users.
My vocabulary has increased several times. Especially in terms of describing actions (how to put it mildly) of a sexual nature.

Over the next two weeks, Dr. Sullivan cleared as much of her calendar as needed to coach Trixie on her interview skills. During the grueling session, Trixie never lost her enthusiasm, and her deep and sincere gratitude towards her mentor multiplied. She learned to sit with an erect yet friendly and open posture, make constant but not aggressive eye contact, and avoid excess modesty while never seeming to brag. The previously timid girl learned quickly to remain poised and calm under a barrage of hostile questions.
Beatrice was most impressed at the girl’s progress. However, she found herself more and more obsessed with the redhead's sensuality and innocent smile. Sometimes she would need to sit behind her desk and use a tissue from the lower drawer to wipe up some excess moisture. When the Counselor was lying in bed at night, trying to sleep, her thoughts went back to Trixie, her lustrous hair, her soft, pink lips, her firm bosom, and tiny waist, and most especially to her round soft butt, and Beatrice's memory of squeezing it that one time. She would toss and turn, unable to doze off until she had given in to her desires and allowed her hand to creep, slowly and gently down to her thatch for a desperately needed climax.

Terrence Darden chose Samantha Byerly as his partner on the recruiting trip to the Southern Alabama Technical Institute. He did not pick the much younger woman (just less than half his age) due to a warm relationship. In fact, they never had enjoyed any kind of friendship in her five years with the Division. Nor did he select her based on expected sympathy with disadvantaged applicants from backward areas of rural Alabama. Samantha came from a family of two college professors with no understanding or appreciation of the barriers that these rural folks faced in getting an education. Byerly was a Bryn Mawr graduate who expected new State Department hires to be the crème de la crème in order to represent the U.S. abroad. Actually, he believed (and his instincts were quite good at this) that the woman regarded him as an old foggy, who probably obtained his position due to affirmative action and needed to be put out to pasture soon.
That wasn't a problem for him. Many people in his career had seen his large, slow bulk, agreeable and friendly manners, and slow Arkansas drawl as signs of general weakness and lack of mental rigor. To the more racist people he encountered, he must have appeared as a step-n-fetch-it, kind of Balck man. Terry made no fuss. He couldn't change peoples' minds by argument. His father had taught him patience. With his sharp mind, hard work, and engaging people skills, he excelled at every task assigned. Even the most skeptical superiors, observed his superior competence and advanced his career.

No, Terry picked Samatha was particularly because she represented the polar opposite from him in every way. An excellent judge of his own limitations, Darden did not wish his bias to help those who came from a poor background to go unchallenged. He needed a thoughtful and intelligent (though argumentative and almost rude) second person. Darden had rock-solid convictions, but he never wanted to be blinded to other points of view.

Last edited:
Over the next two weeks, Dr. Sullivan cleared as much of her calendar as needed to coach Trixie on her interview skills. During the grueling session, Trixie never lost her enthusiasm, and her deep and sincere gratitude towards her mentor multiplied. She learned to sit with an erect yet friendly and open posture, make constant but not aggressive eye contact, and avoid excess modesty while never seeming to brag. The previously timid girl learned quickly to remain poised and calm under a barrage of hostile questions.
Beatrice was most impressed at the girl’s progress. However, she found herself more and more obsessed with the redhead's sensuality and innocent smile. Sometimes she would need to sit behind her desk and use a tissue from the lower drawer to wipe up some excess moisture. When the Counselor was lying in bed at night, trying to sleep, her thoughts went back to Trixie, her lustrous hair, her soft, pink lips, her firm bosom, and tiny waist, and most especially to her round soft butt, and Beatrice's memory of squeezing it that one time. She would toss and turn, unable to doze off until she had given in to her desires and allowed her hand to creep, slowly and gently down to her thatch for a desperately needed climax.

Terrence Darden chose Samantha Byerly as his partner on the recruiting trip to the Southern Alabama Technical Institute. He did not pick the much younger woman (just less than half his age) due to a warm relationship. In fact, they never had enjoyed any kind of friendship in her five years with the Division. Nor did he select her based on expected sympathy with disadvantaged applicants from backward areas of rural Alabama. Samantha came from a family of two college professors with no understanding or appreciation of the barriers that these rural folks faced in getting an education. Byerly was a Bryn Mawr graduate who expected new State Department hires to be the crème de la crème in order to represent the U.S. abroad. Actually, he believed (and his instincts were quite good at this) that the woman regarded him as an old foggy, who probably obtained his position due to affirmative action and needed to be put out to pasture soon.
That wasn't a problem for him. Many people in his career had seen his large, slow bulk, agreeable and friendly manners, and slow Arkansas drawl as signs of general weakness and lack of mental rigor. To the more racist people he encountered, he must have appeared as a step-n-fetch-it, kind of Balck man. Terry made no fuss. He couldn't change peoples' minds by argument. His father had taught him patience. With his sharp mind, hard work, and engaging people skills, he excelled at every task assigned. Even the most skeptical superiors, observed his superior competence and advanced his career.

No, Terry picked Samatha was particularly because she represented the polar opposite from him in every way. An excellent judge of his own limitations, Darden did not wish his bias to help those who came from a poor background to go unchallenged. He needed a thoughtful and intelligent (though argumentative and almost rude) second person. Darden had rock-solid convictions, but he never wanted to be blinded to other points of view.
"... She learned to sit with an erect yet friendly and open posture, make constant but not aggressive eye contact ..."

Eye Contact.jpeg

"... allowed her hand to creep, slowly and gently down to her thatch for a desperately needed climax ..."

Desperately needed climax.jpeg

The State Department recruiters were most of the way through their day interviewing professional secretarial candidates at SATI, and even Darden was discouraged. While many of the interviewees were enthusiastic and had risen themselves far above the grinding poverty of the region, none could be even charitably considered as being material for the Department. These were some of the top graduates of the Institute; even so, their academic records were very uneven. While Terry had entered the session with a hopeful mind (as opposed to Byerly, who seemed ready to reject each candidate before they entered the room), he was coming to the realization that the local crop had very little to pick from.
Meanwhile, Samantha felt fully justified in her previous judgment that the trip would be a waste of time. While they hadn't encountered any openly racist rednecks, these inbred, ignorant, and lazy Alabamians were clearly not in the league with those needed by the State Department. She just hoped they wouldn't run into a KKK rally on the way back to the airport when word of the "Damn Yankees" got around. She was a bit surprised that Terry wasn't more uncomfortable, as a Black man, in this backward environment.

Then the Guidance Counselor, Dr. Sullivan, ushered in the last applicant of the day, Ms. Beatrice Thomson. Terry caught his breath and couldn't help staring for a moment. The ravishing twenty-year-old redhead was possibly the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Terry had always had an eye for an attractive woman. The expression he learned and savored in his youth was that he "noticed a well-turn ankle." Well, the ankle was not the only part well-turned on Trixie.
Samantha glanced at her superior with a bit more than her usual disrespect and took over the interview by instructing Trixie to be seated. Terry regained his control and studied Trixie's Institute transcript while letting Byerly ask her questions. Quickly he noted that she had earned the top grade in every course and had unhesitatingly glowing letters of recommendation from her teachers.
As Darden looked up to watch her respond to Samantha's questions, he was highly impressed by her poised and friendly demeanor despite his partner's tough and often condescending attitude. Legal secretaries, he knew, often had to deal with arrogant and condescending attorneys. This girl seemed prepared for that.
Even Byerly was surprised by Trixie’s ability to stand up under fire and her quick and succinct answers. From reading her vitae, Byerly had relegated Trixie to "Trailer Park Trash" even before she had entered the room. With the girl's voluptuous figure and her dress doing too much to flaunt it, Samantha did not change that judgment. However, she did admit to herself that this girl was a significant step above the others.

Dr. Sullivan sat at her desk, nervously waiting. Mr. Darden had promised an answer concerning Trixie before they drove to Montgomery for their flight back to DC. Beatrice had a favorable impression of the older Black man who approached the Institute and Dr. Sullivan with courtesy and respect. However, the woman, about Beatrice’s age was extremely condescending. She seemed a typical Midwesterner who looked on everyone in the deep South as ignorant, backward rednecks. Sullivan was sure that, back home, Ms. Byerly used the term “The South” as an expression of deep contempt!
When the phone rang, the Counselor tried not to answer too fast or too anxiously. There was a brief professional conversation, and then it was over. Beatrice took a deep breath to help settle her emotions and stood up. She walked out of her office, locked the door, and went down the stairs to the front entrance. Stepping outside into the fresh cool January evening, she headed across the green quadrangle to the Institute Library. She knew Trixie would be there working the late shift. Dr. Sullivan entered the main, double-glass doors with the overhead quote from the poet Maya Angelou “I always felt if I could get to a Library, I’d be OK.” She turned left and entered the main offices. Trixie had proven such a fine worker that the head Librarian had given her use of her office in the evenings to work on her studies. As Dr. Sullivan entered the office, Trixie looked up from the desk and saw Beatrice's face. As she did, she exploded with joy.

“Yes, my dear, they’ve made you a job offer!” announced Dr. Sullivan, barely suppressing a shout.

The women had to restrain their excitement in consideration of the Library rules. However, one can easily imagine the mutual congratulations and gratitude and breathless exchange of relief at Trixie having a job. At last, Dr. Sullivan broached the idea she'd formed while walking over from the Administration Building. "Trixie, you've too much to think about and do before you can go to DC. Why don't I take you out for dinner and you sleep over at my place tonight? We can begin making your plans."
Trixie demurred at first, refusing to take advantage of her mentor's hospitality. However, Beatrice's unyielding persistence wore her down. The stress of the day's interview and the nail-biting waiting for the word had sapped even Trixie's seemingly inexhaustible energy. At last, it was agreed.

Last edited:
The State Department recruiters were most of the way through their day interviewing professional secretarial candidates at SATI, and even Darden was discouraged. While many of the interviewees were enthusiastic and had risen themselves far above the grinding poverty of the region, none could be even charitably considered as being material for the Department. These were some of the top graduates of the Institute; even so, their academic records were very uneven. While Terry had entered the session with a hopeful mind (as opposed to Byerly, who seemed ready to reject each candidate before they entered the room), he was coming to the realization that the local crop had very little to pick from.
Meanwhile, Samantha felt fully justified in her previous judgment that the trip would be a waste of time. While they hadn't encountered any openly racist rednecks, these inbred, ignorant, and lazy Alabamians were clearly not in the league with those needed by the State Department. She just hoped they wouldn't run into a KKK rally on the way back to the airport when word of the "Damn Yankees" got around. She was a bit surprised that Terry wasn't more uncomfortable, as a Black man, in this backward environment.

Then the Guidance Counselor, Dr. Sullivan, ushered in the last applicant of the day, Ms. Beatrice Thomson. Terry caught his breath and couldn't help staring for a moment. The ravishing twenty-year-old redhead was possible the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Terry had always had an eye for an attractive woman. The expression he learned and savored in his youth was that he "noticed a well-turn ankle." Well, the ankle was not the only part well-turned on Trixie.
Samantha glanced at her superior with a bit more than her usual disrespect and took over the interview by instructing Trixie to be seated. Terry regained control and studied her Institute transcript while letting Byerly ask her questions. Quickly he noted that she had earned the top grade in every course and had unhesitatingly glowing letters of recommendation from her teachers.
As Darden looked up to watch her respond to Samantha's questions, he was highly impressed by her poised and friendly demeanor despite his partner's clearly tough and condescending attitude. Legal secretaries, he knew, often had to deal with arrogant and condescending attorneys.
Even Byerly was surprised by Trixie’s ability to stand up under fire and her quick and succinct answers. From reading her vitae, Byerly had relegated Trixie to "Trailer Park Trash" even before she had entered the room. With the girl's voluptuous figure and her dress doing too much to flaunt it, Samantha did not change that judgment. However, she did admit to herself that this girl was a significant step above the others.

Dr. Sullivan sat at her desk, nervously waiting. Mr. Darden had promised an answer concerning Trixie before they drove to Montgomery for their flight back to DC. Beatrice had a favorable impression of the older Black man who approached the Institute and Dr. Sullivan with courtesy and respect. However, the woman, about Beatrice’s age was extremely condescending. She seemed a typical Midwesterner who looked on everyone in the deep South as ignorant, backward rednecks. Sullivan was sure that, back home, Ms. Byerly used the term “The South” as an expression of deep contempt!
When the phone rang, the Counselor tried not to answer too fast or too anxiously. There was a brief professional conversation, and then it was over. Beatrice took a deep breath to help settle her emotions and stood up. She walked out of her office, locked the door, and went down the stairs to the front entrance. Stepping outside into the fresh cool February evening, she headed across the green quadrangle to the Institute Library. She knew Trixie would be there working the late shift. Dr. Sullivan entered the main, double-glass doors with the overhead quote from the poet Maya Angelou “I always felt if I could get to a Library, I’d be OK.” She turned left and entered the main offices. Trixie had proven such a fine worker that the head Librarian had given her use of her office in the evenings to work on her studies. As Dr. Sullivan entered the office, Trixie looked up from the desk and saw Beatrice's face. As she did, she exploded with joy.

“Yes, my dear, they’ve made you a job offer!” announced Dr. Sullivan, barely suppressing a shout.

The women had to restrain their excitement in consideration of the Library rules. However, one can easily imagine the mutual congratulations and gratitude and breathless exchange of relief at Trixie having a job. At last, Dr. Sullivan broached the idea she'd formed while walking over from the Administration Building. "Trixie, you've too much to think about and do before you can go to DC. Why don't I take you out for dinner and you sleep over at my place tonight? We can begin making your plans."
Trixie demurred at first, refusing to take advantage of her mentor's hospitality. However, Beatrice's unyielding persistence wore her down. The stress of the day's interview and the nail-biting waiting for the word had sapped even Trixie's seemingly inexhaustible energy. At last, it was agreed.
"... Why don't I take you out for dinner and you sleep over at my place tonight? We can begin making your plans ..." - Methinks The elder Beatrice has plans of her own ...

the woman, about Beatrice’s age was extremely condescending. She seemed a typical Midwesterner who looked on everyone in the deep South as ignorant, backward rednecks. Sullivan was sure that, back home, Ms. Byerly used the term “The South” as an expression of deep contempt!
That’s nothing. You should hear what I have to say about Arkansas!

Back
Top Bottom