Trailer Park Trixie's Torment, Part II - Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com
As this second part of Trixie's Saga falls into line in my mind, I am seeing it as breaking into short parts that will document the arc of our sweet redhead's time in Singapore.
The first seven posts through the Secretarial Pool represent Part I - Arrival in Singapore
The second seven posts through #14 just posted represent Part II - A Legal Secretary at Last!
The next seven, beginning with tomorrow's post #15, will be Part III - Getting to Know Mr. Hodges
The following seven beginning with #22 will be Part IV - There. That's all the reading ahead that you will get now.

15. U.S. Embassy, Singapore, Friday, 1:31 PM

Ten minutes later, a handsome and athletic young Asian bike courier in a polo shirt and tight shorts, entered and handed Trixie an official-looking envelope with the seal of the Supreme Court of Singapore covering the flap. Trixie signed and thanked the man and then hurried into Jeffrey’s office.

After Trixie had bounded into Jeffrey’s office and handed him the envelope, she stood waiting, at attention, before his desk, with her hands clasped behind. Her positive attitude and respectful demeanor again reminded him of Amanda.
Trixie fought her own impatience and emotions as she watched Hodges stare at the envelope for long seconds.
Then, slowly he broke the seal and opened the flap. He took only a few moments to breeze through the boilerplate at the top and rest his eyes on the decisive phrase. His eyes went wide and his face froze. With a sob, he sunk his head in his hands and started to cry.
Trixie stood for a moment in shock. Then the pretty young secretary hurried around the desk, put her arms around Mr. Hodges, and held him close to her bosom as he sobbed uncontrollably.

Five minutes later, Hodges had somewhat pulled himself together. He gently unwrapped his secretary’s arms from around him and lifted his head from her well-filled chest.
Jeffrey explained to Trixie the dire significance of the court decision. The girl was almost heartbroken herself as she heard of Barbara’s horrible fate. She fought to hold back her own tears. Hodges was deeply impressed by the empathy that this new girl could feel for Moore, even though she had never even met his client. He thanked her for her support and said she could go. Trixie turned and went to the door. Unseen, behind her, Hodges’s eyes closely followed her shapely rear as she exited the room. He found her long strawberry curls enticing as they swayed down her back with her stride.

Then the pretty young secretary hurried around the desk, put her arms around Mr. Hodges, and held him close to her bosom as he sobbed uncontrollably.
She is so caring ... one finds oneself hoping that it will not prove to be her downfall! (Or do I mean that it WILL prove to be her downfall :hmmm: )

TGIF - end of the workweek for us in RL. And the end of Trixie's first full week in Singapore. In celebration of these two happy events, an extended episode, ending on a happy note.

16. Trixie’s Desk, U.S. Embassy, Singapore, Friday, 2:00 PM

Trixie sat at her desk and gave a deep sigh of concern for her boss. He was carrying such burdens and felt them so intensely! The girls all mooned over him because of his looks, but Trixie was learning to admire and feel affection for him on account of his shy, unassuming nature and his gentle and caring soul.

Determined to be what help she could, the redhead buried her nose back into Criminal Procedures.

A little later, Jeffrey buzzed and asked, “See if you can try to get Minister Burnside on the phone – or at least a call-back today.” The Minister was notoriously difficult to get on the phone as he was constantly in meetings and usually had his assistant, Peter, collect all requests for later call back. “I need to speak to him as soon as possible to ask for a meeting with the Ambassador.” Jeffrey explained that he wanted to get the Ambassador involved to help plead Ms. Moore’s case with the Singapore government. That seemed to be her last hope.
Trixie immediately called Peter. For some reason, the immaculately-attired young man had taken a shine to the seductively dressed yet sweet girl from Alabama.
Peter came on the line, and his voice brightened when he heard it was Trixie. "You still working on Friday afternoon, dearie? That delicious Mr. Hodges is a slave driver. Does he use a whip?" He said the last with a heavy intonation of naughtiness.
Trixie laughed engagingly. She also had affection for the assistant and his funny turn of phrase. Quickly, she explained the reason for the call and hoped the Minister could speak to Jeffrey before the end of the day.
"Don't you worry that pretty redhead of yours, Trixie. He's just killing time going over budgets. I'll get him right on."
Sure enough, just a few moments later, the First Minister and Hodges were on the line together. Trixie hung up her line with a surge of satisfaction. She'd finally done something to help!

About thirty minutes later, Jeffrey again buzzed and explained he needed to contact the Commandant of Changi Prison. He wanted to arrange a meeting with Ms. Moore in the morning to deliver the bad news. His voice broke as he said it and Trixie felt a lump in her throat.
“But, Mr. Hodges. It will be Saturday morning.”
“I know. A great way to start my weekend, isn't it? However, it's my duty to my client. Major Mamat is the only one who can authorize this so late. I hope that he is still available."
“I’ll do my best, Sir. I’ll get through!” Trixie responded with determination.
Soon the redhead regretted her rash promise. The prison switchboards and secretaries proved to be immovable objects late on a Friday afternoon. Trixie was switched from person to person with little encouragement. However, the girl's sweet, sincere demeanor and her engaging Southern drawl while pleading moved even the hardest hearts. Eventually, she made the connection and patched Jeffrey through.
As she returned to her work, she admired how resourceful Hodges was to contact these powerful people on Barbara Moore's behalf.

Despite the time spent struggling to get Jeffrey's calls through, Trixie was nearing the end of the procedure book by four-thirty.
Then a call came in. It was the secretary of Josephine Shanmugam, Singapore’s First Minister for Home Affairs. Her courses at FSI had taught Trixie that this ministry was responsible for national security, public safety, civil defense, border control, and immigration. The Minister wished to speak to Hodges. Trixie handled it very professionally and connected with Jeffrey. As she hung up her phone, Trixie reflected, with pride, how her new boss so readily communicated with Burnside, the Prison Commandant and now a Cabinet Minister. Her respect for the man was through the roof. Ms. Moore should be thankful to have him watching out for her.

Just before five, the intercom buzzed, “Trixie, would you please step in here?” She grabbed her pad and pencil and hurried in to stand at her usual attention before Hodges desk.
Jeffrey explained, with some pride, that he had made a dinner meeting with the Home Minister for Sunday night to discuss Moore’s case. He had high hopes of what might come of it. Trixie responded with enthusiastic admiration.

Then Jeffrey went silent. He looked like he was struggling with a decision. At last, he looked up at the beautiful girl.
“Ms. Thomson, ahem, Trixie, I was wondering. You know it's Friday. I suppose you might have plans. But anyway, Do you have plans after work? I like to get to know and take care of the people who work for me. I don't want to be just your boss, but a friend, yes a friend, that you can come to with your problems or concerns. How about going out together for a casual drink? Maybe I can answer some questions about Singapore for you? Make you feel more comfortable and at home?”
The bubbly girl from the Trailer park in Alabama could barely contain herself. “That would be lovely, Sir. I would love that!” A lovely smile spread over her face, and Jeffrey was captivated.
“Fine. Great! Why don't you wait outside around the corner toward the Botanic Gardens? We don't want to make the others jealous."

Trixie smiled. What a thoughtful boss she had! Jeffrey probably had no idea how many of the girls at the Embassy would be green with jealousy! "Of course, Sir. I'll wait there." She hurried out of the office and got her things together.
A few minutes later, Trixie was standing behind the Embassy, looking across the road to the Singapore Botanic Gardens, a 160-year-old tropical garden. It is the only tropical garden, to be honored as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Symphony_Lake,_Singapore_Botanic_Gardens_-_20041025.jpg

As Trixie stared at the beautiful, tropical oasis in the middle of the city's downtown core, she wasn't seeing the lovely plants. She was thinking of how sweet and unselfish her new boss was. He was staying late on a Friday, after a hellish week, just to make his new secretary feel at home. Pretty good, Trixie told herself, for Trailer Park Trash from Branchwater!

I'm really enjoying this story. Thanks
I am very glad. It parallels exactly the action in Singapore III. However, each includes information and events not reported in the other. It could be interesting in reading them together - or not.

Does anyone here know the name of a cocktail made with Jägermeister, peach-flavored schnapps, and cranberry juice is called?

17. [Redacted] Apartments, Singapore, Saturday, 7:30 AM

Beatrix Thomson reached over and silenced her alarm without opening her eyes. She stretched her naked body languidly in her bed. The petite redhead enjoyed the relaxed world between sleep and awake. She indulgently stroked her body lightly. The feeling was delicious. A very mild headache reminded her of how much she’d had to drink the night before.
Pleasant memories of the night flooded back. It had all been like a dream coming true.

Eventually, Trixie felt the urge to start her new day. Slowly she reached across the bed. Grabbing her diaphanous robe, she sat up and opened her eyes. Yes. The dreams were true. She was in fabulous Singapore. He had gone out on a Friday night for drinks with her sweet and handsome boss, Jeffrey Hodges. The night had been magical!

Trixie bounded from her bed, did her morning necessities, and pulled on her running clothes. As she emerged onto the tree-lined street, the bright sun ignited pain behind her eyes. I drank too much last night, she thought, as she gathered her long, curly hair with a scrunchy into a ponytail and then started on her usual five-click run. But, it was worth it getting to know Mr. Hodges better. He is SO nice, and I'm lucky to have him take an interest in me after just two days on the job.
Trixie knew that most of the women in the Embassy were jealous of her being assigned to "The delicious Mr. Hodges" as the gals spoke of him. He was incredibly handsome, she thought, but that wasn't what made him so special. It was the way he took time for her on a Friday after work. Trixie knew well the pressure the young lawyer was under with one client on death row and another, his friend, in the CNB lockup. However, rather than thinking of just himself and going right home for rest and recovery, Jeffrey had chosen to spend a couple of hours after work chatting with her at the bar in a most casual and friendly way. All just to help make the new girl at home in Singapore!
Trixie also marveled at the way he spoke to her. She was captivated by how he never took his eyes off her. It was as she was the only other person in the crowded and noisy bar. Jeff (Hodges had asked her so sweetly to call him that) must have so many things on his mind. Yet, in his shy, unassuming way, he acted like this little girl from Alabama (Trailer Park Trash – she had so often been called!) was somebody to get to know and respect. An intellectual lawyer in the U.S. State Department, with so much more knowledge and experience than Trixie, showing an interest in what she had to say. That kindness and consideration were what she valued.
Well, she admitted, he was impossibly handsome also!

Back outside her apartment at the end of the run, she let loose her hair and caught her breath. Another good run, she thought. Just the thing to keep my fat ass in shape (Trixie was the only one in the world who thought her ass was fat). As she entered the building, she was unaware of two men watching and snapping pictures from an unmarked car parked across the street.

Back
Top Bottom