Upgrade?

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I appreciate all the work that is going into the upgrade. I don't mind the learning curve at all. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century anyway, so it just means more adapting. But I can do it. And if all else fails I'll write about me being drowned or hanged (or crucified?) for being the last one on the planet to get an iPhone or an iPad. ;)
You'll be fine Riwa - this whole upgrade looks and feels like it was designed for mobile devices rather than real computers :)

That said, it does look quite smart (despite the ugly flat-look icons that everybody seems to fetishise over these days), though I'm finding that I need to click more times with more mouse travel to do things than I used to have to do before - a classic tell-tale sign of a UI that was intended for a touch screen.

You'll be fine Riwa - this whole upgrade looks and feels like it was designed for mobile devices rather than real computers :)

That said, it does look quite smart (despite the ugly flat-look icons that everybody seems to fetishise over these days), though I'm finding that I need to click more times with more mouse travel to do things than I used to have to do before - a classic tell-tale sign of a UI that was intended for a touch screen.

when one starts to scroll, two little blue arrows appear in the lower right corner that allow one to jump to top or bottom of the page. I have gotten used to doing that already.

Also, is there a way to see the list of new/recent threads? We used to be able to see that right up front, and maybe there's a way to see it now, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

I used to be able to review my alerts and messages by just hovering the mouse over the alert/message buttons but now I have to click them before the list will drop down. That's not a biggie but my muscle memory is making this a bigger thing than it needs to be.

Again the lack of mouseover functionality indicates a mobile-focussed UI design.

I do like the look of the upgraded site though, as it looks quite smart but one minor point - the "unlike" button has a thumbs-up icon whereas it really should be thumbs-down :)

Good point Rep, a bit embarrassing none of us noticed sooner :doh:

Also, is there a way to see the list of new/recent threads?
No, that has been noticed. We'll see if it can be reinstated on the Home and What's New pages.

I used to be able to review my alerts and messages by just hovering the mouse over the alert/message buttons but now I have to click them before the list will drop down. That's not a biggie but my muscle memory is making this a bigger thing than it needs to be.

Again the lack of mouseover functionality indicates a mobile-focussed UI design.
Quite right DP, I miss it as I view the Forums on my PC -
which used to lead to confusion when I tried to explain how to set an avatar, change privacy settings etc.
to members who only use portable devices which don't respond to 'hovering'.
I suppose it's a sign we mousers are fading into history :rolleyes:

Another strange thing - when I view attachments for a post, I don't see just those attachments, but the thumbnails of all of the attachments on the current page, which I can scroll through forever without necessarily knowing what post they go with.

So if I'm on the Lovely Ladies thread studying Casey's amazing posterior and get to the end of her set, rather than cycling back to the first attachment on that post the next click takes me to some strange naked lady whose name I know not! Confused and shocked, I have to close out of the attachments and check the next post to find out that I was looking at Emilie rather than Casey! :devil:

Formerly, when I scrolled through the attachments for a post it would only cycle through those attachments, not leave me lost and confused in the midst of random nameless naked ladies. I don't know if this is a setting somewhere that can be fixed, but maybe that could be looked at too.

The green lines in front of the quotes are an improvement.

The yellow dots that used to indicate the most recent alerts do not show up anymore either? It was easy to distinguish the newest alerts from older one's, when clicking the alerts list.
I miss them too.
all of the attachments on the current page.
Indeed. It's confusing.

Last edited:
Another strange thing - when I view attachments for a post, I don't see just those attachments, but the thumbnails of all of the attachments on the current page, which I can scroll through forever without necessarily knowing what post they go with.

So if I'm on the Lovely Ladies thread studying Casey's amazing posterior and get to the end of her set, rather than cycling back to the first attachment on that post the next click takes me to some strange naked lady whose name I know not! Confused and shocked, I have to close out of the attachments and check the next post to find out that I was looking at Emilie rather than Casey! :devil:

Formerly, when I scrolled through the attachments for a post it would only cycle through those attachments, not leave me lost and confused in the midst of random nameless naked ladies. I don't know if this is a setting somewhere that can be fixed, but maybe that could be looked at too.
Yes, IM's aware that the uploading and display of images has gone a bit haywire.
It can probably all be rectified, though if it can't, we'll soon get used to such quirks.

I suppose it's a sign we mousers are fading into history :rolleyes:

No we're not - Don't believe all the marketing wank from those douchebag millennials with their hipster beards - there's NO substitute for a REAL computer :)

Back
Top Bottom