Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Written after witnessing a big thunderstorm in the south of Sweden from across a lake. Very moving traditional tune and awesome lyrics.
I hear the Swedes are having no trouble with social distancing. They stay 1.5 meters apart in regular times.

Inspiring words from a leader facing a frightening foe:
I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: ‘I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.’
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

I also find music to be the greatest consolation for me whenever I'm going through troubled times. Would someone with a super power suggest me to make me forget every song I love for a million dollar, I will promptly refuse.

My financial situation is quite hopeless in real life, and it's been giving me much more troubles than the Corona virus. Still, money is just a tool to purchase things that may make me happy, but music is a part of me. Various songs have contributed to mould my sentiments, disposition, and even general outlook on the world. I won't give up major part of own personality for any amount of money.

I love many different songs from the 60s to 90s, most of which consist of pop, rock and some country music. I'm also a bit of a fan of film musicals from the 40s too.

I don't have much valuable physical possessions. But I think I'm lucky that I can always pick a suitable song from my playlist to console myself, depending on my mood. If I want to feel down and out, I may produce a song of hope:

Or for solidarity:

Or just for some silly smile:

Why would I want to give up such an ability for a million dollar? I may purchase whole record shops with that money, but if I can't feel all the right emotions from the music, I may just as well purchase some soap factories instead.

OMG, I haven't heard Melanie sing that for 45 years!
I'm retired on a limited income so I sympathize (and empathize) with your situation. When I'm feeling particularly short on funds I remember what my father always said:
71msLRJmSjL.jpg

OMG, I haven't heard Melanie sing that for 45 years!
I'm retired on a limited income so I sympathize (and empathize) with your situation. When I'm feeling particularly short on funds I remember what my father always said:
View attachment 840035
That's true words of wisdom :) I completely agree and that's why I wouldn't voluntarily go Diogenes all the way, despite my low opinion of wealth. It's just that it's something I can't produce whenever I want, so I'm using music for that purpose instead.

P.S.: I love it when you 'like' my post - your name gives me a feeling that two different people liked what I wrote :D

From the late and very Great, Leonard Cohen. A song (like all great songs) for all seasons, a wedding a funeral, or a distant communication in Time of Plague. Give it time, it will grow into your inner, secret soul!

I hear the Swedes are having no trouble with social distancing. They stay 1.5 meters apart in regular times.
Useful advice I was given today. In case we're wondering how wide 2 metres (our social distancing space in UK) might be,
it's a bit more than the wingspan of a red kite. So if a red kite can swoop between the two of you, you're okay :)

1585091742241.png

Useful advice I was given today. In case we're wondering how wide 2 metres (our social distancing space in UK) might be,
it's a bit more than the wingspan of a red kite. So if a red kite can swoop between the two of you, you're okay :)

View attachment 840059
What if there are no red kites handy? Will two black ones, wingtip to wingtip, do?

What if there are no red kites handy? Will two black ones, wingtip to wingtip, do?
Not long ago there were about 2 of them left, somewhere in Wales. Then they started reintroducing them, and they're as common as pigeons around the Northern Forest now, and quite a lot of other places in Britain too. They're fine birds, great when they swoop past my window in the sunshine, but probably more than enough now.

The piece of music that has always affected me most deeply is this,
Ne irascaris Domine, Be not wrathful with us, Lord -
and especially the second part (begins at 4'20) Civitas sancta tua,
'Your holy city is laid waste ...'
by William Byrd, contemporary of Shakespeare, and for me he is the Shakespeare of music

Incidentally, the performers are Stile Antico, among the finest performers of renaissance polyphony.

As for my beliefs - I cultivate Keats's 'Negative Capability,
that is, when a man (or woman!) is capable of being
in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason'

At the heart of our experience of being human is a mystery beyond words,
and, as Wittgenstein put it, Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.
(“Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.”)
The Epistle to the Phillipians. Chapter 4
Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice! Let everyone see your gentleness. The Lord is near! Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.

Eulalia, I see your Byrd and Raise you a Purcell:

Back
Top Bottom