Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Love the seekers, this is one of their biggest hits

Yes, our music teacher at school was keen on their songs, I enjoyed singing them -
but they don't quite come up to the real thing

"Stenka Razin" has the distinction of being the first Russian dramatic silent film production — a tribute to the determination of its producer, Aleksandr Drankov. When his first seventeen actualities failed to win serious attention in early 1908, he answered the widespread call for Russian-made films with Stenka Razin. This account of the popular brigand leader who dallied with a captured Persian princess was adapted from a traditional ballad "From the Island to the Deep Stream" and Drankov commissioned original music to accompany his film from no less than Ippolitov-lvanov, then head of the Moscow Conservatoire. Energetic promotion ensured the film's commercial success and launched Drankov's career as a producer.

The Ballad of Stenka Razin

From beyond the wooded island
To the river wide and free
Proudly sailed the arrow-breasted
Ships of Cossack yeomanry.

On the first is Stenka Razin
With his princess by his side
Drunken holds in marriage revels
With his beauteous young bride

From behind there comes a murmur
"He has left his sword to woo;
One short night and Stenka Razin
Has become a woman, too."

Stenka Razin hears the murmur
Of his discontented band
And his lovely Persian princess
He has circled with his hand.

His dark brows are drawn together
As the waves of anger rise;
And the blood comes rushing swiftly
To his piercing jet black eyes

"I will give you all you ask for
Head and heart and life and hand."
And his voice rolls out like thunder
Out across the distant land.

Volga, Volga, Mother Volga
Wide and deep beneath the sun,
You have never seen such a present
From the Cossacks of the Don.

So that peace may reign forever
In this band so free and brave
Make this lovely girl a grave.

Now, with one swift mighty motion
He has raised his bride on high
And has cast her where the waters
Of the Volga roll and sigh.

"Dance, you fools, and let's be merry
What is this that's in your eyes?
Let us thunder out a chanty
To the place where beauty lies."

Stepan (Sten'ka) Timofeyevich Razin (Russian: Степан (Стенька) Тимофеевич Разин, 1630 -- June 16 [O.S. June 6] 1671) was a Cossack leader who led a major uprising against the nobility and Tsar's bureaucracy in South Russia. In 1671 he and his brother Frol Razin were captured at Kaganlyk, his last fortress, and carried to Moscow, where, after tortures, Stepan was quartered alive in the Bolotnaya Square. However, the rebellion did not end with Razin's death. The rebels in Astrakhan held out until November 26, 1671, when Prince Ivan Miloslavsky restored government control.

Last edited:
Yes, our music teacher at school was keen on their songs, I enjoyed singing them -
but they don't quite come up to the real thing

"Stenka Razin" has the distinction of being the first Russian dramatic silent film production — a tribute to the determination of its producer, Aleksandr Drankov. When his first seventeen actualities failed to win serious attention in early 1908, he answered the widespread call for Russian-made films with Stenka Razin. This account of the popular brigand leader who dallied with a captured Persian princess was adapted from a traditional ballad "From the Island to the Deep Stream" and Drankov commissioned original music to accompany his film from no less than Ippolitov-lvanov, then head of the Moscow Conservatoire. Energetic promotion ensured the film's commercial success and launched Drankov's career as a producer.

The Ballad of Stenka Razin

On the first is Stenka Razin
With his princess by his side
Drunken holds in marriage revels
With his beauteous young bride

From behind there comes a murmur
"He has left his sword to woo;
One short night and Stenka Razin
Has become a woman, too."

Stenka Razin hears the murmur
Of his discontented band
And his lovely Persian princess
He has circled with his hand.

His dark brows are drawn together
As the waves of anger rise;
And the blood comes rushing swiftly
To his piercing jet black eyes

"I will give you all you ask for
Head and heart and life and hand."
And his voice rolls out like thunder
Out across the distant land.

Wide and deep beneath the sun,
You have never seen such a present
From the Cossacks of the Don.

So that peace may reign forever
In this band so free and brave
Make this lovely girl a grave.

Now, with one swift mighty motion
He has raised his bride on high
And has cast her where the waters
Of the Volga roll and sigh.

"Dance, you fools, and let's be merry
What is this that's in your eyes?
Let us thunder out a chanty
To the place where beauty lies."

Stepan (Sten'ka) Timofeyevich Razin (Russian: Степан (Стенька) Тимофеевич Разин, 1630 -- June 16 [O.S. June 6] 1671) was a Cossack leader who led a major uprising against the nobility and Tsar's bureaucracy in South Russia. In 1671 he and his brother Frol Razin were captured at Kaganlyk, his last fortress, and carried to Moscow, where, after tortures, Stepan was quartered alive in the Bolotnaya Square. However, the rebellion did not end with Razin's death. The rebels in Astrakhan held out until November 26, 1671, when Prince Ivan Miloslavsky restored government control.
Such a deep dive into obscure Russian culture, so Eul and so fascinating!
Here is another Russian (Ukranian?) song that I heard in my youth. That such a magnificent piece of music could come from such backbreaking toil is most uplifting
Эй, ухнем! ["yo, heave-ho!"]
The song isn't of the men on the boat. It is the barge-haulers on the bank. They were cheaper than horses or mules.
3840px-Ilia_Efimovich_Repin_(1844-1930)_-_Volga_Boatmen_(1870-1873).jpg

Such a deep dive into obscure Russian culture, so Eul and so fascinating!
Here is another Russian (Ukranian?) song that I heard in my youth. That such a magnificent piece of music could come from such backbreaking toil is most uplifting
Эй, ухнем! ["yo, heave-ho!"]
The song isn't of the men on the boat. It is the barge-haulers on the bank. They were cheaper than horses or mules.
View attachment 904859
That picture is used on the YouTube video of Paul Robeson's classic performance:

I don't know Russian, but the music is nice and the girls are pretty and more.
Sign of the times: The near girl holds a phone throughout yet never looks at it?

Five girls. Find one more and you have an Act II for the CF party at the Red Lion

The same outside Christmastime - its coming

Concerning "folk songs" which you may like without understanding a single word:
I sometimes would really like to know why I - being an almost "typical German" - love very much to hear songs in Finnish and Hungarian. Both these languages have similarities and probably, some thousand years ago, their ancestors were nomads in the same region in the Western Ural which is today the Russian mountain range which separates Europe from Asia.

The birth name of my mother is of Hungarian origin, so maybe, there might be a genetical predisposition for loving languages and even my sisters love to hear Hungarian songs although they almost understand nothing.

But there is something in the Hungarian language which sounds - for us - like hearing a "wild child" playing a possibly dangerous game and we all in our family like this imagination.
This video is from a Hungarian folk song with some "pseudo-historical" costumes but the historical descriptions of German chronists 1.100 years ago after the first encounters and clashes between Germans and Hungarians are confirming that the martial Hungarian nomads were clothed in a very similar way:

By the way, there are relatively famous Hungarian songs in West-European and US movies which are sometimes searched by fans of this music but not found because Hungarian is so unknown and because these tunes are so "alien-sounding" for Western nations but I love them especially for this reason:

In "Prêt-a-porter", there is this beautiful song to hear during a fashion show:

... and in "The English Patient", there is this Hungarian song:

Both seem to have something that makes my thousands of years old genes shiver ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom