Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
So I understand you've been feeling down. And rather isolated, is that right? I will be happy to listen to you and help you to cope with these feelings. Hopefully I will even find a way to uplift you! So why don't we....

Hold on. Pardon me, but are you staring at my legs?

William Byrd - Sing Joyfully

So uplifting!

Now lose yourself in the chant:
From the notes:
Some aspects of the musical life of a community of Benedictine nuns in the great French double monastery of Fontevrault, an early medieval royal foundation. In 1304, Eleanor of Brittany became its sixteenth Abbess, having been trained as a nun in the English daughter house of Amesbury. The Gradual that bears her arms contains, in addition to the normal chant repertoire, a special repertoire of its own. It is this collection of miscellaneous pieces that throw a special light on the musical life of these nuns. Some items were undoubtedly intended to embellish parts of the liturgy itself on high feast days; others are more likely to have been used as pious entertainment during moments of recreation—then as now, in monastic communities.

From the notes:
Some aspects of the musical life of a community of Benedictine nuns in the great French double monastery of Fontevrault, an early medieval royal foundation. In 1304, Eleanor of Brittany became its sixteenth Abbess, having been trained as a nun in the English daughter house of Amesbury. The Gradual that bears her arms contains, in addition to the normal chant repertoire, a special repertoire of its own. It is this collection of miscellaneous pieces that throw a special light on the musical life of these nuns. Some items were undoubtedly intended to embellish parts of the liturgy itself on high feast days; others are more likely to have been used as pious entertainment during moments of recreation—then as now, in monastic communities.
J.S. Bach - Kyrie eleison from Mass in B minor BWV 232 (Karl Richter, 1969)
I know that PP warned about Bach, but I could not resist. I promise to take a long pause before the next post of Bach. ;)

From the notes:

Yes, an important and interesting source for Gothic music - that performance by Ensemble Organum is hauntingly lovely, though probably pretty far distant from the way Eleanor would have heard it. It's an elaborated version (with extended melismata - twiddly bits) of a basic Gregorian chant for the Kyrie on 'ordinary' Sundays - Kyrie X in the Roman Missal, Catholics who regularly attend a well-sung Mass will probably recognise it.

Last edited:
Yes, an important and interesting source for Gothic music - that performance by Ensemble Organum is hauntingly lovely, though probably pretty far distant from the way Eleanor would have heard it. It's an elaborated version (with extended melismata - twiddly bits) of a basic Gregorian chant for the Kyrie on 'ordinary' Sundays - Kyrie X in the Roman Missal, Catholics who regularly attend a well-sung Mass will probably recognise it.
"Kyrie XI in the Roman Missal, I think. "
Naturellement!

So uplifting!

From the notes:
From the Sacred to the profane:
This chant is written in French Trouver, (correct me if I'm wrong, Eul) by Guiot de Dijon. it speaks of an unmarried lady who mourns her friend who has left for the Holy Land. Fearing that he will not return, she implores divine protection for him and, in the meantime, refuses any idea of marriage with another. A little know fact is the Guiot also is known for originating a mustard recipe.

Gorecki's Symphony #3, second movement, is very sad, yet I've always found it uplifting. Perhaps because it's just so darned beautiful. I realized last night that it had been at least 3 or 4 years since I'd heard it. That is much too long.

Last edited:
Now who would not be uplifted by having Patricia as a wind-up doll?
The lovely Patricia again, on a more serious note with a sublime piece from GF Handal often called just, "Largo from Xerxes"

The opera was a commercial failure with only five performances. But, the tune, resurrected a hundred years late is one of his most popular. Originally composed for a soprano castrato, I find Patricia far more enjoyable to watch.

Frondi tenere e belle
del mio platano amato
per voi risplenda il fato.
Tuoni, lampi, e procelle
non v'oltraggino mai la cara pace,
né giunga a profanarvi austro rapace.

Ombra mai fu
di vegetabile,
cara ed amabile,

soave più.

Claudin de Sermisy - Tant que vivray

Tant que vivray en âge florissant,
Je serviray d’amour le dieu puissant,
En faictz, et dictz, en chansons, et cords.
Par plusieurs fois m’a tenu languissant,
Mais après dueil m’a faict réjouyssant,
Car j’ay l’amour de la belle au gent corps.
Son alliance, c’est ma fiance:
Son cœur est mien, le mien est sien:
Fi de tristesse, vive lyesse
Puis qu’en amour a tant de bien.

Quand je la veulx servir, et honorer,
Quand par escripts veux son nom décorer,
Quand je la veoy, et visite souvent,
Les envieux n’en font que murmurer,
Mais notr’amour n’en sçaurait moins durer;
Aultant ou plus en emporte le vent.
Malgré envie, toute ma vie
Je l’aimeray, et chanteray,
C’est la premiere, c’est la derniere,
Que j’ay servie, et serviray.

As long as I live in such magnificent times,
I will serve the powerful god of love,
In actions and words, with songs and music.
As for myself, I was left to languish over and over,
But after this sadness I rejoiced
Since I have the love of a beautiful woman.
To be with her, I give my word:
Her heart is mine, mine is hers:
Fie on sadness, long live joy,
Since in love there is so much good.

When I want to serve and honor her,
Wiith a fine hand I decorate her name,
When I often see and visit her,
Jealous people can only whisper
But our love will always endure
Beyond the reach of the wind.
Despite envy, for all my life
I will love her, and I will sing: