Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Italy puts on a LOT of these, it seems. Furthermore, a LOT of them get recorded and end up on youtube. Several have provided source material for my gifs and exhibitionist fantasies shared in a certain other thread. :cool:

But while I'm here, I hope you all will allow me the honor once again of dancing for you. Your pleasure is my pleasure.

A different dance for you! Nice!

The refrain:
ubi caritas et amor
ubi caritas
deus ibi est

Translates as:
Where there is charity and love
Where there is charity
There God is.

It is taken from a hymn

I find both very uplifting
Isobel Campbell has such a sweet voice. This is from when she was in Belle and Sebastian (such a wonderful band!)

**Edited to add an alternative link:

Last edited:
Antonin Dvorak wrote his Symphony No. 9, "From the New World," soon after arriving in America in 1893. A yearning melody from the second movement took on a new life as a popular American song. The theme played by a solo English horn, which begins the second (largo) movement.
Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 was premiered by the New York Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall on December 16th, 1893. The composer died in Prague in 1904.
The theme begins 45 seconds into the movement:
One of Dvorak's students, William Arms Fisher, put words to the longing melody from the second movement. He called the new song, "Goin' Home," and had it published in 1922. Fisher died in 1948, but the song lived on. One of the classic recordings was made by the incredible singer, Paul Robeson at a live concert in the same Carnegie Hall, 1958:
The song continues to be reinvented. More recently Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble recorded the song with an American banjo player, a Chinese sheng player, and singer-songwriter Abigail Washburn singing lyrics in English and Mandarin.

Enjoy and be uplifted

Maria Muldaur, Midnight at the oasis
But you won't need no harem, honey​
When I'm by your side​
And you won't need no camel, no no​
When I take you for a ride​

So sexy!!!!

Yesterday was the 336th birthday of J. S. Bach. His music is so pure and perfect that it can easily be adapted to any instruments. Here, Brass and Organ give a sublime performance of "Sheep may Safely Graze."

Historically, a harp tune for which the earliest reliable records come from Co. Londonderry. The lyrics of 'Danny Boy' were originally written for quite a different tune (but then so were those of Auld Lang Syne, and quite a few other well-known songs) -

In 1910, in Bath, Somerset, the English lawyer and lyricist Frederic Weatherly initially wrote the words to "Danny Boy" to a tune other than "Londonderry Air". After his Irish-born sister-in-law Margaret Enright Weatherly (known as Jess) in the United States sent him a copy of "Londonderry Air" in 1913 (an alternative version of the story has her singing the air to him in 1912 with different lyrics), Weatherly modified the lyrics of "Danny Boy" to fit the rhyme and meter of "Londonderry Air".

The refrain:
ubi caritas et amor
ubi caritas
deus ibi est

Translates as:
Where there is charity and love
Where there is charity
There God is.

It is taken from a hymn

I find both very uplifting
it's actually taken from an 8th century antiphon sung during the washing of the feet on Maundy Thursday:

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.
Exsultemus, et in ipso jucundemur.
Timeamus, et amemus Deum vivum.
Et ex corde diligamus nos sincero.

Simul ergo cum in unum congregamur:
Ne nos mente dividamur, caveamus.
Cessent iurgia maligna, cessent lites.
Et in medio nostri sit Christus Deus.

Simul quoque cum beatis videamus,
Glorianter vultum tuum, Christe Deus:
Gaudium quod est immensum, atque probum,
Saecula per infinita saeculorum. Amen.

Where charity and love are, there God is.
The love of Christ has gathered us into one.
Let us exult, and in Him be joyful.
Let us fear and let us love the living God.
And from a sincere heart let us love each other (and Him).

Therefore, whensoever we are gathered as one:
Lest we in mind be divided, let us beware.
Let cease malicious quarrels, let strife give way.
And in the midst of us be Christ our God.

Together also with the blessed may we see,
Gloriously, Thy countenance, O Christ our God:
A joy which is immense, and also approved:
Through infinite ages of ages. Amen.

Back
Top Bottom