Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Blossom Dearie Someone to watch over me

So incredibly good!
From Wiki:
"Someone to Watch Over Me" a 1926 song composed by George Gershwin with lyrics by Ira Gershwin, assisted by Howard Dietz who penned the title. It was written for the musical Oh, Kay! (1926), with the part originally sung on Broadway by English actress Gertrude Lawrence while holding a rag doll in a sentimental solo scene. The successful musical ran for more than 200 performances in New York and then saw equivalent acclaim in London in 1927; all with the song as its centerpiece.
Lawrence's performances of the song in 1926 and 1927 were presented in a solo scene at the beginning of Act II, with Lawrence wearing a maid's uniform and singing to a rag doll that she held in her hand. George said he found the doll in F.A.O Schwarz's toy shop in Philadelphia where the play was in development, and he thrust the doll upon Lawrence to use as a prop in the scene, to increase the sense of her character's vulnerability. This late addition surprised the play's director. The doll was masculine, probably a Raggedy Andy (the male equivalent of the immensely popular Raggedy Ann - I had an Andy as a child).
1616723877864.png

Some classical music for some of our American members (maybe somewhere in Arkansas, Idaho or Geogia). The boys look for a bride and drink their bottle of Moonshiner, while Barb tries to learn to drive straight on with a train. Not a good idea to let her drive allone.
The epitome of a thousand years of high-Swedish culture!

It makes me to think about the old pun:

“Is it not strange that sheep's guts should hale souls out of men's bodies”

Last edited:
Christus factus est (Christ became obedient) from Paul's Epistle to the Philippians 2:8. In the Catholic liturgy, it was sung at mass on Maundy Thursday (this coming Thursday). After the new rite was promulgated in 1969, it has been employed instead as the gradual on Palm Sunday (today). Anton Bruckner put it to a heavenly setting, here performed by the Choir of King's College, Cambridge, conducted by the much-missed, Sir Stephen Cleobury.

Last edited:
So sexy!!!!

When a girl sings to you "I'll be your belly dancer" how could it not be? :p

But it's time for another of my noisy rock-n-roll numbers...which may annoy some but hopefully uplift a few as well.

Lush was a band I loved and listened to constantly back in the 90s. I was a small-town girl fresh out of college and starting my career in a big city. The band provided a great soundtrack for that part of my life, including the romance with my future husband. Miki Berenyi, the lead singer, had the voice of an angel. Famous for her dyed bright red hair and mini skirts which showed off her cute legs, she was widely recognized as one of the hottest women in rock-n-roll at the time, or perhaps ever (interestingly, her mother had a cameo role as a bikini girl in an early James Bond film).

The band put out several albums, but at the peak of their success the drummer committed suicide and the remaining members called it quits. Here is one of my favorite tunes:

The remaining members got together and toured again back in 2016, and the hubby and I got to see them play. Good times! Miki now had her natural black hair, but I think you will agree she still looked lovely:

And here's some more serious music from me. It was recorded in Amiens in October 2017.

The verses from the Carmina Burana that gave her name to our dear departed Velut Luna:

I know, I know! It's old, sentimental, maudlin, and clichéd. But at my age, I don't find old to be a serious charge anymore. Maudlin is a matter of opinion. And it is a cliché because so many have enjoyed and repeated it. Many of us were forced to read and even memorize Tennyson's verse in school. But a meditation on the end of life is most unrelatable to a teenager. To a (much) more mature person, and even to younger ones who face a deadly pandemic, the message seems to be more wise and relevant.

Crossing the Bar
by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

On Good Friday, two hundred and ninety-four years ago, the congregation of Thomaskirche in Leipzig, Saxony, arrived to attend a musical performance commemorating the solemnity of the day. One wonders if they had any idea of what they were to experience. Their Kapellmeister, Johann Sabastian Bach, had composed a sacred oratorio for solo voices, double choir, and double orchestra. It set chapters 26 and 27 of the Gospel of Matthew (in the Luther Bible) to music, with interspersed chorales and arias that spanned three hours. Many musical scholars regard Matthäus-Passion as the greatest single piece of music ever composed.
A performance of an abbreviated version by the Berliner Singakademie directed by Carl Zelter (with Fanny and Felix Mendelssohn as young singers) in April 1829 began a reigniting of interest in Bach, who had been forgotten for the eighty years since his death.
Here is a version from the King's College Chapel in Cambridge, conducted by the immortal Stephen Cleobury. [you must open on Youtube]

A performance of an abbreviated version by the Berliner Singakademie directed by Carl Zelter (with Fanny and Felix Mendelssohn as young singers) in April 1829 began a reigniting of interest in Bach, who had been forgotten for the eighty years since his death.
Bach was forgotten by the general public, but professional composers, of course, remembered him. It is known, for example, that Mozart, having become acquainted with the music of Bach, dropped out of the usual rhythm of his own creativity for two years, trying to imitate Bach.

How about going a bit further back in the 'days-gone-by' films?

Look at the variety of carts and carriages, and how many types of tram can you count?

PS a 'Loiner' is a native of Leeds.
OS, were you one of those wee lads running across at 1:01? Lord, you were a youngin' back them!

Back
Top Bottom