Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
The year was 1962, I was an awkward gangly, 6' 1" 14-year-old who'd never had anything like a date. But even my deep teen-age angst and celibate depression could be lifted by the Beach Boys, hit that summer:
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
Come on and safari with me
(Come on and safari with)
Early in the morning we'll be startin' out
Some honeys will be coming along
We're loading up our woody
With our boards inside
And headin' out singing our song
Come on (surfin') baby wait and see (surfin' safari)
Yes I'm gonna (surfin') take you surfin' (surfin' safari) with me
Come along (surfin') baby wait and see (surfin' safari)
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
At huntington and malibu
They're shooting the pier
At rincon they're walking the nose
We're going on safari to the islands this year
So if you're coming get ready to go
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
They're anglin' in laguna in Cerro Azul
They're kicking out in dohini too
I tell you surfing's mighty wild
It's getting bigger every day
From Hawaii to the shores of Peru
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
With me
Surfin' safari
With me
Surfin' safari
With me
Surfin' safari
With me

Surfin' safari

The year was 1962, I was an awkward gangly, 6' 1" 14-year-old who'd never had anything like a date. But even my deep teen-age angst and celibate depression could be lifted by the Beach Boys, hit that summer:
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
Early in the morning we'll be startin' out
Some honeys will be coming along
We're loading up our woody
With our boards inside
And headin' out singing our song
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
At huntington and malibu
They're shooting the pier
At rincon they're walking the nose
We're going on safari to the islands this year
So if you're coming get ready to go
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
They're anglin' in laguna in Cerro Azul
They're kicking out in dohini too
I tell you surfing's mighty wild
It's getting bigger every day
From Hawaii to the shores of Peru
Let's go surfin' now
Everybody's learning how
With me
Surfin' safari
With me
Surfin' safari
With me
Surfin' safari
With me

Surfin' safari

Know that song well, but I'm not quite sure: is "woody" a station wagon? By its context, it can't refer to Brian Wilson's raging member.
:eusa_doh:

Interesting, I don't think the term 'woody' was used over here; following the house design
View attachment 899703
we tended to call View attachment 899704 the cars half-timbered.

The first station wagon model auto looked like this:
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
The wood paneling on the side of more modern ones was an homage to the past. It eventually evolved into plastic. And now, of course, it's hard to find any car manufacturers still making wagons. SUVs killed that market.

Interesting, I don't think the term 'woody' was used over here; following the house design
View attachment 899703
we tended to call View attachment 899704 the cars half-timbered.
Of course, the early models were actual wood siding. However, the need for constant treatment and repair, lead the latter models to be vinyl coated molding and flat coating of metal sides. It was hard to give up, but eventually, the public soured on the tacky, cheap imitations.
1937 Ford Deluxe Wagon
1937_Ford_Model_78_780_De_Luxe_Station_Wagon.jpg
1940's Nash Suburban
Nash_Suburban_4-door_sedan_woodie_at_AACA_show_left_side.jpg
1948 Chrysler Town and Country, a convertible woodie
Chrysler_Town_Country_Convertible_1948.jpg
y 1955, only Ford, Mercury, joined in 1965 by Chrysler offered a "woodie" appearance, evoking real wood with other materials including steel, plastics and vinyl.
640px-1968_Ford_LTD_Country_Squire.jpgOh, how the mighty have fallen.

The popular "surfin' wagons' in Southern California (Laguna, Malibu, Santa Monica, etc,) were owned by teen and college-age boys, who bought ten and more year old wagons and lovingly cared for the wood.
WOODIEMAIN.jpg

Of course, the early models were actual wood siding. However, the need for constant treatment and repair, lead the latter models to be vinyl coated molding and flat coating of metal sides. It was hard to give up, but eventually, the public soured on the tacky, cheap imitations.
1937 Ford Deluxe Wagon
1948 Chrysler Town and Country, a convertible woodie
Chrysler_Town_Country_Convertible_1948.jpg
And all this time, I though this was a convertible woodie. . .
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

I think "wood" will soon have a true "renaissance" in Germany because many like this feeling of a warm natural building material and many old German "Fachwerkbauten" really look nice because their shape is often so unique:
IMG_20190722_091935724 pc n_ji.jpg https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fachwerkhaus
The pictures of most of these houses are so beautiful:
And during the last weeks, there were introduced new Mercedes-Benz city buses in my city which are at least semi-hybrids on electricity with very unusual floors, which are almost perfectly imitating parquet floors:
IMG_20200906_080600358 pc3_ji.jpg
By the way, I am sometimes really surprised how fast this country can adjust to unusual situations. For example, there are now serial plexi-glass doors in the most buses, which separate the driver from the passengers but with two low small "windows" to the money changer where the passenger can pay and receive his change from the driver:
IMG_20200822_211536944_PC N 1.jpg Sometimes, I really love Germany ...

Last edited:
It's a bit difficult to explain, but I like how the guitar sounds like in that song. The early surf rock isn't my favourite genre (although I love some other hits from Beach Boys, like God Only Knows) but something in that tone has grabbed my ears.

I think it's definitely a Fender amplifier but my knowledge of the guitar gears falls short of allowing me to discern the exact model (a Bassman maybe?). But I like how it's showing just a hint of natural overdrive while still sounding quite solid with much headroom.

I know there won't be too many people here who'd care about such things. But it somehow kept me listening to the song over a few times already, so I thought it's worth mentioning.

It's a bit difficult to explain, but I like how the guitar sounds like in that song. The early surf rock isn't my favourite genre (although I love some other hits from Beach Boys, like God Only Knows) but something in that tone has grabbed my ears.

I think it's definitely a Fender amplifier but my knowledge of the guitar gears falls short of allowing me to discern the exact model (a Bassman maybe?). But I like how it's showing just a hint of natural overdrive while still sounding quite solid with much headroom.

I know there won't be too many people here who'd care about such things. But it somehow kept me listening to the song over a few times already, so I thought it's worth mentioning.
Here is all the info I could find. Nothing specific on the instruments.

Here is all the info I could find. Nothing specific on the instruments.
You set me on the right track! Even though the page didn't mention of the equipments they used, there was a bit of information in the linked article of one of the guitarists. I searched those keywords on Google and found a page that provided the answer. (It looks like one of them used Fender Showman while the other used Bassman.)

Thanks much! :)

Most modern German knights would probably only take part in in such "Renaissance" games after they found a really good insurance for covering typical knight's accidents ...

By the way, and I really do not know it: where are these tunes and melodies from the "Sherwood Forest Renaissance Fair" and from this great movie now really from, who was or who were the composers and when were they played for the first time?

From St. Paul's exhortation to the Thessalonians:

Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, just as you are in fact doing.
Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who labor among you and preside over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them most highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers and sisters,1admonish the undisciplined, comfort the discouraged, help the weak, be patient toward all. See that no one pays back evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all. Always rejoice, constantly pray, in everything give thanks. For this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not extinguish the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt. But examine all things; hold fast to what is good. Stay away from every form of evil.

That's just what you need after reading St Paul! :devil:
I find seeing the deep and heartfelt faith of others, stirs my own and uplifts me. Here is an Amish funeral sing near Lancaster PA. You may make fun of their clinging to olden times and ways. But these people follow their faith with great discipline and great joy. It is a time of death but more so a celebration of God's promise.
The Lyrics -words and music by Jim Hill
There is coming a day,
When no heart aches shall come,
No more clouds in the sky,
No more tears to dim the eye,
All is peace forever more,
On that happy golden shore,
What a day, glorious day that will be.

What a day that will be,
When my Jesus I shall see,
And I look upon His face,
The One who saved me by His grace;