Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
As far as I understood the translation from Swedish into German, this canon has this text which is about a planned marriage and they visited the judge's home who makes the legal confirmation of a marriage, but the judge (= domar/e) was not at home.

Nu vilja vi begynna en domaredans,
men domar'n är inte hemma.
Alla de som i domardansen gå,
deras hjärtan skola brinna.
Alla säga de: hå, hå, hå.
Alla säga de: nå, nå, nå.
Har du drömt om din käraste i natt,
skall du mot ljuset le.

Now we want to start a judge dance,
but the judge is not home.
All those who go in the judge's dance,
their hearts shall burn.
They all say: ha, ha, ha.
They all say: well, well, well.
Have you dreamed of your loved one last night,
you shall smile at the light.

In scary times, songs can be a comfort:

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
Or the mountain should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry
No, I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

Just as long as you stand, stand by me (dear friends on cruxforums)

In scary times, songs can be a comfort:

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
Or the mountain should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry
No, I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

Just as long as you stand, stand by me (dear friends on cruxforums)
It's impressive how that song combines a calypso-style beat with an orchestral string section.

Here's another classic about relying on each other.

As a dog lover, this uplifts me
image006.jpeg
Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead November 18th 1808

But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Masters own,
Who labors, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonour'd falls, unnotic'd all his worth,
Deny'd in heaven the Soul he held on earth.

It was written in 1808 in honor of his Newfoundland dog, Boatswain, who had just died of rabies. When Boatswain contracted the disease, Byron reportedly nursed him without any fear of becoming bitten and infected.

Last edited:
This "Girl from Ipanema" reminds me of some "good old days" when real entertainment stars did not need so much "Firlefanz" (German "loan word" derived from French "virelay", but today means "unnecessay and foolish trickery") as today.

Do you remember or even know "Caterina Valente" and her version of the "Girl from Ipanema" in English and Portuguese?

She is still alive and was an entertaining multi-talent who seemed to be able to learn any language of the world in a short time and I do not know any language she did not seem to sing in. I think, she is still the only European singer with citizenships of Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Great Britain etc. and certainly she speaks all these languages. Sometimes, there are old German comedies with her as actor and singer in it on German TV and I did never recognize any French or Italian accent when she spoke German. She always seemed to be a happy person and funny in all performances like these ones with Dean Martin or Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye. She was almost a living miracle in Europe for many spectators.

This "Girl from Ipanema" reminds me of some "good old days" when real entertainment stars did not need so much "Firlefanz" (German "loan word" derived from French "virelay", but today means "unnecessay and foolish trickery") as today.

Do you remember or even know "Caterina Valente" and her version of the "Girl from Ipanema" in English and Portuguese?

She is still alive and was an entertaining multi-talent who seemed to be able to learn any language of the world in a short time and I do not know any language she did not seem to sing in. I think, she is still the only European singer with citizenships of Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Great Britain etc. and certainly she speaks all these languages. Sometimes, there are old German comedies with her as actor and singer in it on German TV and I did never recognize any French or Italian accent when she spoke German. She always seemed to be a happy person and funny in all performances like these ones with Dean Martin or Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye. She was almost a living miracle in Europe for many spectators.

Wow, never heard of her!

Back
Top Bottom