Water Torture

Go to CruxDreams.com
Maybe it stands for "very old"?
It's a quality indication for cognac and champagne.
A.C.: Two years old. Aged in wood.
V.O., Very Old: Aged a minimum of four years.
V.S., Very Special: Three years of aging in wooden casks. Very often called Three Star.
V.S.O.P., Very Superior Old Pale: Minimum aging is eight years in wood for the youngest in the blend. Industry average is between 10 and 15 years old, which is why it’s sometimes known as Five Star.
X.O., Extra Old: Also called Luxury. Has a minimum age of eight years. This class also can include Napoleon and Vielle (“Reserve”).
Napoleon/Extra/Vielle Reserve: Napoleon had nothing to do with it, except to order this type of Cognac. At least four years old, but generally much older than that.
Varietal: Made using only one type of varietal grape.
Vintage: Aged and was put into the bottle in the year of the vintage.
Hors d’Age: Too old to figure out the age. A true gem.
Armagnac is blended with older vintages than similarly labeled Cognacs. Hence, a V.S.O.P. Armagnac could be considered a better value than a similarly aged Cognac. (Armagnac is brandy made in the Armagnac region of France.

648.jpg

chiming in..:) slaves ordered to drown one of their own.... from Collectors Edition 1

It's a quality indication for cognac and champagne.
A.C.: Two years old. Aged in wood.
V.O., Very Old: Aged a minimum of four years.
V.S., Very Special: Three years of aging in wooden casks. Very often called Three Star.
V.S.O.P., Very Superior Old Pale: Minimum aging is eight years in wood for the youngest in the blend. Industry average is between 10 and 15 years old, which is why it’s sometimes known as Five Star.
X.O., Extra Old: Also called Luxury. Has a minimum age of eight years. This class also can include Napoleon and Vielle (“Reserve”).
Napoleon/Extra/Vielle Reserve: Napoleon had nothing to do with it, except to order this type of Cognac. At least four years old, but generally much older than that.
Varietal: Made using only one type of varietal grape.
Vintage: Aged and was put into the bottle in the year of the vintage.
Hors d’Age: Too old to figure out the age. A true gem.
Armagnac is blended with older vintages than similarly labeled Cognacs. Hence, a V.S.O.P. Armagnac could be considered a better value than a similarly aged Cognac. (Armagnac is brandy made in the Armagnac region of France.
Maybe we should use that system to award titles to members on CruxForums? :devil:
I won't dare suggest who of our great ones here qualifies as VS, VSOP, XO,
or even Hors d'Age (too old to figure out the age. A true gem. :D)

'Seagram's VO'... I don't know what 'Seagram's 7' stands for either but it costs less and I like it better... Sometimes life deals you 'aces'....

Seagrams was a distillery in Waterloo, Ontario, which was founded by a man named Joseph Seagram. In the 1920s, they merged with a distillery in Montreal founded by Samuel Bronfman and his brothers. What made their fortune was Prohibition in the US. They worked with bootleggers to supply thirsty people in New York with smuggled whisky, much passed through two French islands off the coast of Newfoundland, St Pierre and Miquelon, though Samuel Bronfman was never convicted of any crimes. My father knew several members of the Bronfman family, who were very prominent in Montreal.

As for "VO", I don't know what it stands for, but Very Old is a reasonable guess (and it might make you feel that way the next morning). As for "7", maybe they tried 6 blends that were no good before they came up with that one.:D

Back
Top Bottom