Were Roman Crucified Victims Always In The Nude?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Seems there is a deep interest in historical facts about crucifixion in this forum. I never went into that this far, but when doing some research for my drawings, I found that great source, that might give you all information you like to have. It is mainly an analyses of ancient texts that mention crucifixion and goes very much into detail about all social, juridical and physical aspects. This is a pdf of a book of 547 pages just about these topics. Hope it helps a bit to find answers:

Seems there is a deep interest in historical facts about crucifixion in this forum. I never went into that this far, but when doing some research for my drawings, I found that great source, that might give you all information you like to have. It is mainly an analyses of ancient texts that mention crucifixion and goes very much into detail about all social, juridical and physical aspects. This is a pdf of a book of 547 pages just about these topics. Hope it helps a bit to find answers:

Fantastic! Thanks for this source. I started reading from p 423. Great stuff!

Fantastic! Thanks for this source. I started reading from p 423. Great stuff!
I'm lucky if I could help ;) ... wherever I started to just take a look, I couldn't stop reading for a while, What really astonished me is, how many people must have been crucified in ancient times. But I could not yet find pages whith points about clothing. Maybe someone can message the chapter if found some.
(and don't forget that the author of this book might make his living by that work - guess I will order a copy. Thanks should go to him ;) )

I'm lucky if I could help ;) ... wherever I started to just take a look, I couldn't stop reading for a while, What really astonished me is, how many people must have been crucified in ancient times. But I could not yet find pages whith points about clothing. Maybe someone can message the chapter if found some.
(and don't forget that the author of this book might make his living by that work - guess I will order a copy. Thanks should go to him ;) )
From pp. 423-430, there is some discussion of loincloths or their absence, as well as of women being crucified.

There may be other references, but this is all I've found so far.

Late edit. Looking at the index, I found under "crucifixion"--
nudity of the victim 192-93, 427
– of women 119, 131, 142, 194, 203–4, 428

Last edited:

Nudity​

One of the themes that is not often discussed is that of the nudity of convicted persons.
The condemned man was completely naked on the cross. All the clothes belonged to the executioners.
Elsewhere the Gospel says it well "they shared his clothes by drawing lots."
It is modesty that prevents completely nude representations.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the themes that is not often discussed is that of the nudity of convicted persons.
The condemned man was completely naked on the cross. All the clothes belonged to the executioners.
Elsewhere the Gospel says it well "they shared his clothes by drawing lots."
It is modesty that prevents completely nude representations.
See this thread, voyeurjerome

Also

Last edited:
See this thread, voyeurjerome

Also

For me, a naturist, it would not affect me. But, for a non naturist, modest person it would add to the humiliation and degradation. Losing whatever clothing remained covering intimate parts of the body would be a huge loss of dignity and reinforce the obscene finality of what awaits, not to mention the inevitably of pissing, shitting, ejaculation and vaginal fluids leaking out. Once hung and bound or nailed, your nude body would be arranged in a manner designed to display it to the assembled crowd, for their amusement, titillation and bloodlust.

Back
Top Bottom