What happened to "GIMP" ?

Go to CruxDreams.com
<snip> Obviously, we have to find a solution to the crazy posting syndrome. If not, we'll have this problem again next year, or next month, or next week. We'll limit the size of the files, the number of pictures per post, the number of posts per day... we will have to do what cruxforums does, they show thumbs of the uploaded pictures, not the entire picture, within the posts, things like that. But that's not all... we'll be setting things up in a way that it will make the website better and fancier. I expect to be announcing the date of re opening of the forum by Monday.

I for one want to thank you for what you're doing to rescue the GIMP. Although my specialty was never web-based stuff, I did spend 35 years as a software engineer before retiring, and I always expected some kind of problem to arise with the size and frequency of posts. I tried to keep my own stuff at 800 to 1000 KB and no more than 3 images per day, but I have to confess to have violated it several times (especially when I couldn't get photoshop to shrink down to under 1000 KB after doing my renders). So everything you mention above is entirely the common-sense approach.

I'll sure be happy when the GIMP is back online, but I have to ask if requiring visitors to register (and veryifying their email and the fact they're not a bot) is one of the security measures you're considering? Just seems like common sense to me but again, the web-stuff is not my specialty.

Many, many thanks again!

bleumune

I for one want to thank you for what you're doing to rescue the GIMP. Although my specialty was never web-based stuff, I did spend 35 years as a software engineer before retiring, and I always expected some kind of problem to arise with the size and frequency of posts. I tried to keep my own stuff at 800 to 1000 KB and no more than 3 images per day, but I have to confess to have violated it several times (especially when I couldn't get photoshop to shrink down to under 1000 KB after doing my renders). So everything you mention above is entirely the common-sense approach.

I'll sure be happy when the GIMP is back online, but I have to ask if requiring visitors to register (and veryifying their email and the fact they're not a bot) is one of the security measures you're considering? Just seems like common sense to me but again, the web-stuff is not my specialty.

Many, many thanks again!

bleumune
We're moving ralphus.net to a much better hosting plan where there are more security options built in, including SSL certificates for all of the websites we have there. At this moment we're considering all the options we have to set up the forum and to integrate everything that is part of the gimp website. We'll begin testing it in the new place in a couple of days.

Stay tuned

How about this?
Cleave ALL posts/ pictures/links etc. 5 years or older.... into " GIMP archives.com" ( or something like that ) and leave them there to access by "nostalgic" members. Then
all others stay where they are... problems of space solved.

We're moving ralphus.net to a much better hosting plan where there are more security options built in, including SSL certificates for all of the websites we have there. At this moment we're considering all the options we have to set up the forum and to integrate everything that is part of the gimp website. We'll begin testing it in the new place in a couple of days.

Stay tuned
on the old Gimp-Ralphus.net it always bothered me that there is no possibility to get laymen or the possibility of commenting on my work, such as here or on Pixiev ... please could it be solved in the future ??

Thanks.

on the old Gimp-Ralphus.net it always bothered me that there is no possibility to get laymen or the possibility of commenting on my work, such as here or on Pixiev ... please could it be solved in the future ??

Thanks.
I'm not sure I understand the comment. The GIMP Forum was/is a thread based phpb forum, just like this one, where everyone could post and comment on posts. The forum was over a year old when it stopped precisely because there were sooooo many posts with sooooo many pictures. Before that, the forum was set in guestbook format which was comment based. It was pages and pages and pages of comments with pictures, video clips and so on. It has hacked and thus, it stopped functioning.

We're migrating the forum to our hosting service, which was recently upgraded. It will be a forum similar to this one.

How about this?
Cleave ALL posts/ pictures/links etc. 5 years or older.... into " GIMP archives.com" ( or something like that ) and leave them there to access by "nostalgic" members. Then
all others stay where they are... problems of space solved.

The GIMP Forum was a bit more than a year old when it stopped working because of going over its limit. The posts are part of the database of the forum, they cannot independently be stored elsewhere. We can only eliminate old files. What we can do, however, is request from posters to put a link to the pictures and upload them somewhere else. After we're all set, we'll be figuring out how to deal with this issue. There will be a limit, that's for sure. Something similar to what is done here.

The GIMP Forum was a bit more than a year old when it stopped working because of going over its limit. The posts are part of the database of the forum, they cannot independently be stored elsewhere. We can only eliminate old files. What we can do, however, is request from posters to put a link to the pictures and upload them somewhere else. After we're all set, we'll be figuring out how to deal with this issue. There will be a limit, that's for sure. Something similar to what is done here.
I ask because I would like to post pictures from my work to the new Gimp in the future ... thanks.

mainly increase the security so that some bastard, again, it did not occur to the forum to hack, and to blackmail you again ...

Thanks.

in about a hundred years ... maybe longer ... don't cry! :devil:
As I write this, files from the forum are being uploaded to the new server. The upload of those particular files started two days ago and it continues today.

I mentioned before that we're moving the site to a new hosting service and the process takes time. After all the material in the site is uploaded to the new place we'll proceed to move the DNS and after testing it, the site will go live. Do we know what it will look like then? Not really. We moved another site before and it looks normal. It's a process and it takes time... and work.

When they say, "...it takes time... and work." think lots of time, and lots of careful planning, detailed, meticulous, and tedious work.

In reality, sites just do what the are coded to do, people are what works. Appreciation to you Margot and others in the team that are building then new site. For the rest of us, the directive is "Patience, Jackass!" In a cordial sort of way, of course.

Putting a link to pictures is easy and saves bandwidth and of course using thumbnails. Keep up the good work even though it is a long grind.

Hi Margot,

I went to the Ralphus' GIMP site last night and navigated to where you've been posting about your much appreciated progress in resurrecting the site. However, I got a 404 error site not found. I'm pretty sure that's due to progress being made, but I thought I'd pose the question of what to expect and when to expect it.

Thanks for all the hard work of you and your team!

bleumune

What we can do, however, is request from posters to put a link to the pictures and upload them somewhere else.
This tends to make threads useless after a short time, as external hosters are short-lived.
All forums have this problem and I really wonder why there is no simple "archive thread to PDF" functionality.

I appreciate the nice comments about the work. I'm happy to announce that the GIMP FORUM is BACK! Yes!!!

It's functioning, we still have to recover files, and people have to register again. But the slate is clean for wonderful opportunities, which I believe are presenting themselves.
The link is

And now I can link pictures from our sites because they are all secure!

OpenDiscussionsNew.jpg

How's that?

I'll have more to say in the next few days ... and... when redfeline.com is finally migrate to our upgraded host, I'll have all those pix with links here... to appear, like magic.

buahahahahaha.....

Back
Top Bottom