What makes a story erotic or not for you?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I agree these are important elements and they appear in many stories written here on CF. Certainly in my own, as well as those by @Praefectus Praetorio @windar , @Fossy , and @Eulalia … just to name a few.
Thanks for the mention Barb, and I agree entirely. Whether the story is is first or third person, a context and build up adds great value to the ultimate denouement ...

Thanks for the mention Barb, and I agree entirely. Whether the story is is first or third person, a context and build up adds great value to the ultimate denouement ...
As with any form of literature. The reader needs to be “grabbed” as early in the story as possible. Although I have never been punished to the extremes of these stories. I think I can relate to some of the fear, the anguish, the anticipation of impending punishment. If that is portrayed effectively … I believe the attention of the reader is captured. After all it is all fantasy… it’s what is in our minds that stimulates our senses and sexual urges

As with any form of literature. The reader needs to be “grabbed” as early in the story as possible. Although I have never been punished to the extremes of these stories. I think I can relate to some of the fear, the anguish, the anticipation of impending punishment. If that is portrayed effectively … I believe the attention of the reader is captured. After all it is all fantasy… it’s what is in our minds that stimulates our senses and sexual urges
If anyone is interested I do jave several threads out there, you can check out my style. They are in the bdsm section
“Sold into slavery by my own brother”
“Punished in a foreign country”
“Corporal history- virgin to the lash”

1. How does a complex plot and/or realistic character development affect the erotic appeal? Increase it? Decrease it? Makes no difference?
The characters, at least the focal ones, have to be three-dimensional, complex personalities, with feelings, motives and inner conflicts that I can identify with. That doesn't necessarily mean a lot of psychologising or internal monologues, but what they do and say must reveal credible complexity.

2. Does historical accuracy/realism of setting matter?
I like vivid description and scene-setting, not over-done, but enough to draw me in. Blatant anachronisms or other factual blunders can be distracting, but in fantasies I don't expect over-precise accuracy/ realism.

3. Do you have a strong preference for a level of severity and consensual vs non-consensual or is the quality of the writing more important?
For me, th quality of the writing is very important - the choice of appropriate, original words and phrases, even the sound and rhythm, make a big difference. I'm not squeamish, but detailed anatomical descriptions, blow by blow descriptions of torture or sexual abuse, soon become tedious and lack the variety and psychological insight of good writing,
I could not have said this any better, but I'd like to add a few things to it. Sometimes when something is written very well, I can find a scene arousing, even when normally I would not be enthusiastic about it. Other times a sudden image can be arousing without any story behind it and without even understanding why. Frankly, I do not understand much about my taste or why I find some things erotic and other things a big turn off. Also because this can change a lot over time and has a lot of inconsistencies in it. However, if the three points Eulalia made are there, it usually is a pleasure to read.

1. How does a complex plot and/or realistic character development affect the erotic appeal? Increase it? Decrease it? Makes no difference?
Not a too complex plot. But a real story with real characters, especially the female victim, mature, big saggy tits, hairy, and most of all, a heroine

Absolutely, the story could be hidden or unknown facts in an historical well known background

3. Do you have a strong preference for a level of severity and consensual vs non-consensual or is the quality of the writing more important?
The quality of the writing is more important. Dagon, Diocletian, are my favorite writers considering Tortura, Uthur, Von Hentzau, Jacques Lapin, are more or less retired.
After the complete destruction of her female parts, the victim dies of course.

Just to throw this out there. I prefer a story that comes from the perspective of the victim. It’s a lot easier to put yourself into the character when it’s in the first person. I like historical backgrounds. A well developed story… who, why, when. A slow build up to to the climax ( did I really say that) a full description of the punishment from the victims perspective. Sometimes from another perspective also: maybe another victim waiting for their turn, mane from the person who sentenced the victim, or from the person actually doing the punishing. Any thoughts on this?
I agree with that. First person writing has special challenges in the development of the story (e.g. only these things can be described the lead character sees or hears), allowing to add some 'mystery' in the storyline.

"Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
--Mark Twain

I am curious. When others write a story, is the focus on something that excites the author or is it based on something that they know excites the reader ? I find that I start initially with something I like but sometimes do my best writing when , through feedback, I start delving into the fantasies of my readers, maybe going places I wouldn’t ordinarily go.

I am curious. When others write a story, is the focus on something that excites the author or is it based on something that they know excites the reader ? I find that I start initially with something I like but sometimes do my best writing when , through feedback, I start delving into the fantasies of my readers, maybe going places I wouldn’t ordinarily go.
Yes, when I write a story it’s, at least in conception, something that excites me, but as the writing progresses I am also aware of my audience and will incorporate things that I know will go over well. Audience awareness does matter, but the bottom line is that the narrative has to appeal to me first, or why bother.

Yes, when I write a story it’s, at least in conception, something that excites me, but as the writing progresses I am also aware of my audience and will incorporate things that I know will go over well. Audience awareness does matter, but the bottom line is that the narrative has to appeal to me first, or why bother.
Fortunately for us, your store of painful, humiliating and erotic fantasies appears to be endless, which when combined with excellent research, produces some really exciting and provoking writing.

Very true. If you don’t have the passion, you don’t get the results.

Great discussion point Aslin. I find that the general theme has to be something that I feel a passion/desire/excitement for eg. Sexpionage, Georgia Peach (American Civil War). But once the framework and general context is established the detail and content is created with both myself and my prospective readers in mind. Fortunately on CF the two overlap considerably :)

The same for me : it starts with an exciting idea (or inspiration from a, exciting pic), and next putting it into a backstory and some character development.

Fortunately for us, your store of painful, humiliating and erotic fantasies appears to be endless, which when combined with excellent research, produces some really exciting and provoking writing.
I have one rule that I always follow when writing that I learned from two different groups of people. The first group is the academic group. The other group is some famous sci-fi and fantasy authors at comic-cons. The one thing both have mentioned is that you need to do some form of research to come up with a good story. In order to do the research I have found that subject of the story has to be of interest to you and that you have to take that research so it appeals to the people you want to attract and understand what you are writing about.

There has been some discussion of this at times on various story threads and in PM threads, but I thought perhaps it deserved a public thread of its own. I'm not looking so much for "Anything with a naked girl on a cross" or "Anything BUT a naked girl on a cross" but rather how elements of plot, character and style affect the eroticism. Though people can comment on anything they like, I am particularly interested on your thoughts on the following:

First off, I think there is an unavoidable paradox: the unexpected is always more gratifying. If I watch a mainstream movie or serial, or read a mainstream novel, the sudden appearance of a scene where a woman, preferably the heroine, is in some dire peril (led to the torture dungeon, tied to the whipping post...) will have a deeper impact than when I watch or read because I know those scenes are coming.

That said, to your specific questions:

1) Of course the plot enhances the experience. Otherwise we would be down to "a woman is brutally tortured. Aaargh. The end". I want the "victim" to be someone I care about. Not just an anonymous device. Therefore, I often wondered why writers do not resort more often to an expedient: picking as victim/heroines subjects whose physical and psychological traits are establish through real or fictive history. Reading about a fictive fantasy princess in dire straits created by the author is fine, reading about Daenerys tortured by a Dothraki khal, by the Yunkai slavers or by Cersei is (to me) just better. Same thing if Cleopatra, Jean D'Arc, Ciri or Lara Croft are employed. It also makes it easier to give a clear reason for which the torture is happening.

2) Yes and no. I want realism, but keeping things arousing. No need to go all the way to the gory reality of real torture and executions. Stretching on the rack is exciting, dismemberment not so much.

3) See above. Ideally the extreme level should be threatened only but not portrayed. I have a preference for stories where the heroine/victim goes metaphorically through hell, but escapes in the end.

Back
Top Bottom