What makes a story erotic or not for you?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I can agree with most all of this
First off, I think there is an unavoidable paradox: the unexpected is always more gratifying. If I watch a mainstream movie or serial, or read a mainstream novel, the sudden appearance of a scene where a woman, preferably the heroine, is in some dire peril (led to the torture dungeon, tied to the whipping post...) will have a deeper impact than when I watch or read because I know those scenes are coming.

That said, to your specific questions:

1) Of course the plot enhances the experience. Otherwise we would be down to "a woman is brutally tortured. Aaargh. The end". I want the "victim" to be someone I care about. Not just an anonymous device. Therefore, I often wondered why writers do not resort more often to an expedient: picking as victim/heroines subjects whose physical and psychological traits are establish through real or fictive history. Reading about a fictive fantasy princess in dire straits created by the author is fine, reading about Daenerys tortured by a Dothraki khal, by the Yunkai slavers or by Cersei is (to me) just better. Same thing if Cleopatra, Jean D'Arc, Ciri or Lara Croft are employed. It also makes it easier to give a clear reason for which the torture is happening.

2) Yes and no. I want realism, but keeping things arousing. No need to go all the way to the gory reality of real torture and executions. Stretching on the rack is exciting, dismemberment not so much.

3) See above. Ideally the extreme level should be threatened only but not portrayed. I have a preference for stories where the heroine/victim goes metaphorically through hell, but escapes in the end.
I can agree with most all of this.when building a story to a climax (oops I did it again) , I believe that for a reader to really get into a story, the author must allow the reader into the minds of the victims especially and/or the minds of witnesses or the person doing the sentencing or punishing. I agree that the gore won’t make a story erotic for most people.

I think a solid description of the pain thru the eyes of the victim, the reaction of the witnesses, the purpose driving the sentences or the punisher makes me want to keep reading. I have some threads out there in the BDSM forum titled:

Sold into Slavery by my own Brother

Punished in a Foreign Country

Corporal History- Virgin to the Lash

Please if you get a chance take a look at the ongoing stories. Critique them. Let me know what’s good and what needs improvement.

One more thought.... I find it really easy to be inspired by a picture or drawing and write a story portraying the picture. I get inspired by many of the pics and drawings posted on this site. I have much greater difficulty trying to match a picture to an already written story. Anyone else find this to be an issue?

I can agree with most all of this.when building a story to a climax (oops I did it again) , I believe that for a reader to really get into a story, the author must allow the reader into the minds of the victims especially and/or the minds of witnesses or the person doing the sentencing or punishing. I agree that the gore won’t make a story erotic for most people.

I think a solid description of the pain thru the eyes of the victim, the reaction of the witnesses, the purpose driving the sentences or the punisher makes me want to keep reading. I have some threads out there in the BDSM forum titled:

Please if you get a chance take a look at the ongoing stories. Critique them. Let me know what’s good and what needs improvement.

One more thought.... I find it really easy to be inspired by a picture or drawing and write a story portraying the picture. I get inspired by many of the pics and drawings posted on this site. I have much greater difficulty trying to match a picture to an already written story. Anyone else find this to be an issue?
One thing you can do is taking one detail of the picture and create a whole new picture and make a story along that line if that helps.

Set your tone. See your end.
Feel your characters.
Divert from the simple and follow a formula to a point.

That is the time to insert the plot twist!

And the story can become anything!

Or just be direct!

;)

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll look for them and let you know - although it may take some time. I myself made only one modest effort, in the late Jurassic age (1998) titled, with little fantasy "Jolanda's ordeal". It must be around here somewhere. Come to think about it, finding a good title is maybe the hardest thing, and I just gave up on that. Ah, ana last year I wrote some short background text for JD's pics set in the Witcher universe. Not to call it "Ciri's ordeal" I went with "how to get Ciri to talk" believing the pun Siri-Ciri would be obvious, but alas...

Many of the stories of judicial CP are great but "Nell in Bridewells" will always be my favourite. If someone more talented than me could write a sequel in the same genre where Nell is subject to a birching for her farewell it would be the icing on the cake.

When you write erotic fiction, especially in the BDSM genre, are you writing for yourself, your preferences, your fetishs? Or are you writing with your audience in mind. I find that I started with the former and as I continue, especially on this site, I crave the instant feedback. I start writing for the readers. I want my stories to address their preferences, their fetishes, their fantasies.

When you write erotic fiction, especially in the BDSM genre, are you writing for yourself, your preferences, your fetishs? Or are you writing with your audience in mind. I find that I started with the former and as I continue, especially on this site, I crave the instant feedback. I start writing for the readers. I want my stories to address their preferences, their fetishes, their fantasies.
I think we may have had a similar discussion recently. My writing starts out as being something that pleases me, but an edit or two plus a proof-read always directs the text more towards what I think will turn the readers on. Fortunately on CF what I like often overlaps with the general popular themes on here :)

Last edited:
Why do the things that excited you when you were younger become even more sensual and sexual as you grow older. I remember when I was in my middle school years , my family watched an older movie , I believe it’s title was Walking Tall. I remember a scene where a young prostitute was whipped with a belt. I remember feeling something different. My nipples became erect and I felt my juices for the first time. I remember covering myself with a large throw pillow so none of my 3 brothers could see me.

I still get that way today when I see a similar scene in a movie or TV. If I read a book with a scene or write about a scene involving women punished it happens. Sometimes I see a pretty woman or read or view an unrelated scene . My mind starts working, thinking about what could happen and my “creative” juices start flowing.

When you write a story do you have an ending in mind when you start? Do you write the story straight thru from start to finish? I tend to start with a certain theme and write the story in sections, adlibbing as I go along. Writing each new section a few days after the previous section, using that time to develop the ideas for that new section. Does that make sense to anybody else?

When you write a story do you have an ending in mind when you start? Do you write the story straight thru from start to finish? I tend to start with a certain theme and write the story in sections, adlibbing as I go along. Writing each new section a few days after the previous section, using that time to develop the ideas for that new section. Does that make sense to anybody else?
Yes. That’s pretty much what I do too. As I have often said. I tend to make it up as I go. While I often begin with a concept…a setting, a situation, one or more principal characters, I usually only begin with a general, or even vague, idea of where it’s all headed. I’ll write a section or episode, and then spend some time working out what happens next before writing the following one, after which the process will repeat itself until I near the end of the tale and am forced to confront exactly how it might turn out.

Are there any threads out there where a writer asks the reader to submit a theme for a story and then develops a story based on that basic theme. I actually like to write that way.. I love to adlib and expand an idea. Sometimes you get to feel stagnant or repetitive when you have to come up with ideas for a new story. I like giving my impression of a situation and get off when I can tell that I have pleased the reader with my efforts.

Are there any threads out there where a writer asks the reader to submit a theme for a story and then develops a story based on that basic theme. I actually like to write that way.. I love to adlib and expand an idea. Sometimes you get to feel stagnant or repetitive when you have to come up with ideas for a new story. I like giving my impression of a situation and get off when I can tell that I have pleased the reader with my efforts.
If you want, there's an outline of a story I have at the back of my mind since many years I could send you. Never got to write it myself, too lazy probably. If you like the general plot, it would be interesting to see how you develop it.

This recent story was proposed to me by a member and I think it turned out fairly well

If you want, there's an outline of a story I have at the back of my mind since many years I could send you. Never got to write it myself, too lazy probably. If you like the general plot, it would be interesting to see how you develop it.
Yes, I would like to see your outline. I’m sure we can collaborate on something that you will enjoy.

This recent story was proposed to me by a member and I think it turned out fairly well

Yes, I have read that. Excellent story…great job.

Are there any threads out there where a writer asks the reader to submit a theme for a story and then develops a story based on that basic theme. I actually like to write that way.. I love to adlib and expand an idea. S
Another option is to see a pic that stimulates your imagination and write a short back story or vignette for the pic. I’ve often done that and found it satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom