What to do about runaway slaves (besides the obvious!)

Go to CruxDreams.com
Read here:

Read here:
A vintage classic from 2015. ;)

Do you know what it costs, hiring a crucifixion team? The government would better support hard working entrepreneurs like me, and make crucifixions a tax deductable cost!:mad:
okay okay if you are going to bring up crux and tax ...

Obviously crucifixions are a general societal service, as their purpose is to Uphold Good Order in Society. Right?

Everyone benefits from from a well-ordered society, sure?
(Slaves do too, the more disorder and discord there is, the more likely it is that masters will frequently apply severe punishments!)

Now if you leave it to individual owners to finance the crucifixions of unruly slaves, for some owners there will be a temptation for monetary reasons to skimp on that.

Just to save money, they may go for cheap backyard executions that serve no public effect, in terms of imprinting proper morals on slaves and acting as deterrent!

Hence a group of senators devoted to ideals of responsible governance make the following policy suggestion:

To ensure that every slave owner participates properly in maintaining order, the state shall levy, at the point of purchase, a small value-added tax per head on the price of each slave; the funds so collected by the state will be sufficient to maintain a high-quality crucifixion service that will be available equally for all!

Obviously crucifixions are a general societal service, as their purpose is to Uphold Good Order in Society. Right?
We will set up TV shows with the crucifixions with a lot of commercials, in between there will be famous stars singing and making some scandals, like uncovering their breasts, kissing one of his own gender, letting down the trousers, mocking Jesus, or even worse the government or the like....

Everyone benefits from from a well-ordered society, sure?
(Slaves do too, the more disorder and discord there is, the more likely it is that masters will frequently apply severe punishments!)

Now if you leave it to individual owners to finance the crucifixions of unruly slaves, for some owners there will be a temptation for monetary reasons to skimp on that.

Just to save money, they may go for cheap backyard executions that serve no public effect, in terms of imprinting proper morals on slaves and acting as deterrent!

Hence a group of senators devoted to ideals of responsible governance make the following policy suggestion:

To ensure that every slave owner participates properly in maintaining order, the state shall levy, at the point of purchase, a small value-added tax per head on the price of each slave; the funds so collected by the state will be sufficient to maintain a high-quality crucifixion service that will be available equally for all!
As far as I heard, that proposal is linked to the creation of a slave register, since of course only the slaves on whose purchase the tax has been paid, and hence is on the list, could be executed by the said service.

We are however not reassured that the slave register will only be used for that purpose, and that the data will not be passed to other institutions, e.g. income tax services, and other authorities, who will use the information to exert control upon us.

Such a measure infringes free enterprise, the base of wealth and prospect of our great empire, and it will distort pricing on the slave market. We want the liberty to choose our executioner just by the market rules of supply and demand, and not getting stuck with just another state service that will soon be stowed with incompetent and useless favourites of politicians of all kinds. I do not pay taxes for giving such people a living!

We already have to pay an expensive insurance for covering the damages and harms inflicted by an escaped slave to other people and their properties. We have to endure (and extra pay for) compulsory inspections by the insurance companies about the measures we take to prevent escapes. The municipality obliges us to contract a private security service on a permanent base to patrol and to track down runaways! Slavery based economy is great, but it should remain profitable for the slave owner, not just for service companies of all kinds, leave that we need more taxes on slaves! These bloody liberal senators should consider that!

The problem simply could be solved by allowing tax deduction of the bill of the crucifier service.

You could prepare the captured slave for general use, like that from a French colony:View attachment 931128
General use?

And an interesting public/private discussion - I do have to side with the former though. Not just because of my genuine political philosophy, but also because the latter mixes in with the call for unregistered slaves - a seedy grey area filled with illicit kidnapping and slave abuse. (Or perhaps that's jusg my European take on it - some would say you can't have slave abuse if slaves have no rights or protections...)

Historically, fugitive slave hunting was not a desirable or reliable occupation. Return rates were embarrassingly low, and a given job might be fraught with danger due to interference by ideological do-gooders.

Today, expand the search radius across the whole galaxy, and most slave holders find prevention preferable to correction. The psychology of 25th Century slavery is a precise science, after all, augmented by brain chips, brain wipes, and submission drugs. Slaves who take it upon themselves to "escape" (what a silly notion!) are largely a thing of the past.

Of course, no tech or chemical cocktail is perfect. In the rare event of a slave slipping away from lawful captivity, the first step is usually a reliance upon standard law enforcement mechanisms, including but not limited to: embedded trackers, surveillance linking with AI-aided RTBLA (Real-Time Body Language Assessment) and face recognition, and interrogation of known abolitionist activists in the area. General bulletins are shared across the civilized galaxy, ensuring the fugitive will have great difficulty moving through syndicate-controlled starports.

Escaped slaves are, in fact, criminals, and are pursued as such.

Upon capture, a fugitive slave will typically be processed in accordance with local police procedures, and then held in custody pending criminal proceedings. In some cases the owner might also be charged with an array of offenses, such as negligence or abuse. Few events within crux parks draw in tourists and bolster broadcast ratings like a fugitive slave tied to one side of a cross, and her careless owner tied to the other.

And this, dear reader, brings us to the événement principal: punishment.

Owned slaves who commit a crime are typically subjected to judicial sentence while in syndicate custody. This is most commonly a period of stress bondage incarceration (30 to 60 days in most cases), which concludes with the aforementioned public NLC (nonlethal crucifixion) and/or spanking.

When justice has been served, the slave is returned to the custody of her owner(s), who may then opt to impose additional corrective measures. Also, supplementary training or brain wiping may be mandated by law.

The disciplinary options available to owners vary by syndicate. Andor Syndicate, instrumental in the passage of the Slaves' Bill of Rights by the Galactic Humanity Consortium in EY2325, is by far the most restrictive, slave-friendly jurisdiction. Red Nova Syndicate, in stark contrast, allows full-body whipping and Grade A2 crucifixion for a wide range of bad slave behaviors. All syndicates, in accordance with GHC policy and the SBR, forbid the killing and maiming of slaves outside strict legal parameters.​

[Excerpt from “A Brief History of Abolition,” by Aria Applegate]

Escaped slaves are, in fact, criminals, and are pursued as such.
Now here is another question : can a slave commit a 'crime'? In rule of law, only a judge can decide whether an act was a crime or not? So the notion of 'crime' only applies to free people. Only the master can be the slave's judge, and the owner is also judicially responsible for the misbehaviour of the slave towards third parties.

So, an escaped slave is not a criminal (who still enjoys protection by law), but an outlaw. Anyone can kill an escaped slave. The judge will then decide, whether the kill was rightful (if not, the killer must pay compensation to the owner), and whether the master has taken enough measures to prevent the slave from escaping (in which case the owner has to pay compensation for damage inflicted to the killer and other third parties.

General use?

And an interesting public/private discussion - I do have to side with the former though. Not just because of my genuine political philosophy, but also because the latter mixes in with the call for unregistered slaves - a seedy grey area filled with illicit kidnapping and slave abuse.
This quote is here by mistake - I can't delete it from my phone.
Now here is another question : can a slave commit a 'crime'? In rule of law, only a judge can decide whether an act was a crime or not? So the notion of 'crime' only applies to free people. Only the master can be the slave's judge, and the owner is also judicially responsible for the misbehaviour of the slave towards third parties.

So, an escaped slave is not a criminal (who still enjoys protection by law), but an outlaw. Anyone can kill an escaped slave. The judge will then decide, whether the kill was rightful (if not, the killer must pay compensation to the owner), and whether the master has taken enough measures to prevent the slave from escaping (in which case the owner has to pay compensation for damage inflicted to the killer and other third parties.
Certainly a legal structure which could arise. But depending on the reach of the state, the possesiveness of masters and the rights of slaves (yes, they do have them sometimes!), there are quite a few other permutations as well.

Certainly there are times when the state has protected slaves from overly cruel masters, but there are many times also when they choose to apply their harsh punishments without considering the owner's opinion at all.

You say that as if it is common practice within the syndicates to unperson slaves. Per the SBR of EY2325, nothing could be farther from the truth. Maybe the barbaric philosophy of unpersoning is embraced by the criminal underworld, rebellious tribal cultures in the outer systems and so-called "Free Zones," but legal slavery is a civilized institution in syndicate space.

As for a slave's culpability for her own behavior, it is assumed in criminal proceedings that any slave attempting escape retains some baseline degree of personal agency. If evidence later bears out other factors, such as gross negligence or fraud by the slave owner, these will be duly considered by a magistrate or judge.

Since syndicates do not unperson slaves, killing a slave is homicide. Valid justifications are more or less identical to those for killing a free person (e.g. self-defense in proportion to the threat).

Of course, abolitionists (e.g. Paula Broadway), reformists (e.g. Mia Zhang, Renee Firewing), anti-authority lunatics (e.g. Sage Gallows) and other utopian idealists (e.g. Ariana Fairchild) will dispute reality as a matter of desperate, futile recourse. Discerning minds do well to ignore these idiots.

You say that as if it is common practice within the syndicates to unperson slaves. Per the SBR of EY2325, nothing could be farther from the truth. Maybe the barbaric philosophy of unpersoning is embraced by the criminal underworld, rebellious tribal cultures in the outer systems and so-called "Free Zones," but legal slavery is a civilized institution in syndicate space.

As for a slave's culpability for her own behavior, it is assumed in criminal proceedings that any slave attempting escape retains some baseline degree of personal agency. If evidence later bears out other factors, such as gross negligence or fraud by the slave owner, these will be duly considered by a magistrate or judge.

Since syndicates do not unperson slaves, killing a slave is homicide. Valid justifications are more or less identical to those for killing a free person (e.g. self-defense in proportion to the threat).

Of course, abolitionists (e.g. Paula Broadway), reformists (e.g. Mia Zhang, Renee Firewing), anti-authority lunatics (e.g. Sage Gallows) and other utopian idealists (e.g. Ariana Fairchild) will dispute reality as a matter of desperate, futile recourse. Discerning minds do well to ignore these idiots.
Some would say the "civilized" world's ability to treat an ackowledged person as a slave is just an evolution of barbarity that surpasses the original, though. (Although I'm sure the slaves at least are glad of their rights.)

Not a poll, as I want to encourage freeform answers (and we all know crux would win anyway). But say you happen to own some slaves, and some of those slaves that despite that they're going to abscond and live their own lives somewhere.

A) What would you do about it? Post a general reward? Hire someone? Search yourself? Or just write them off?

B) What would you do with them if they were brought back alive? I know many would just point to the forum title, but there are other possible sentences as well, not all as fatal.

C) Would the above alter based on the slave? Male or female, young or old, normally obedient or troublemaker, field slave of favourite bedwarmer - does it make any difference? Does their motive?

Sorry for the threadnomancy but I felt compelled to answer.

A) I’m certainly not going to “write them off”! Such a concept is appalling, if I allow such an act of personal effrontery to slide, my slaves would attempt to rebel at any time!

I’d employ slave catchers, inform the law to keep an eye out, post a generous reward, and search myself with my hunting hounds. Slave is preferably returned alive, and in chains. Any damage will be assumed to be the fault of the slave.

B) They must be cruelly tortured over a long time frame, say at least a month, in public so the other slaves can see. All slaves would also be given an additional 30 lashes above their daily allotment for allowing the escape to occur. All shackles and fetters would be checked thoroughly for defect and shortened painfully for the next 6 weeks duration.

The aim is to make the escapee’s pathetic life even more miserable to serve as an example. On the first day they would be heavily flogged with the Cat and bullwhip. branded with escapee symbols deeply into their cheek, breast, and buttock.

Each day would bring fresh pain from a different torture method, in addition to being whipped twice, once in the morning as the other slaves eat breakfast, and again at dinner. Each time a new torture would be added. Chained in barbed wire, nails hammered into webbing between fingers and toes, bamboo torture under finger and toe nails, beaten with a rod, breast and genital skewering, flaying patches of skin, racking, riding the horse, strappado, bastinado, hooks, etc.

On special torture days I would mercifully dispense with the lashings in favour of torture with hot irons and other heated implements or heavy electro torture.

Disfavoured slaves may lose part of a limb to slow multi day torture (no simple amputations for these miscreants) or an eye to a poker, or both.

To keep such a slave properly chained, the missing cuff would be replaced by nailing the chain to the remaing limb, usually the wrist after a hand was tortured and eventually had to be amputated.

I need to instill fear into all my slaves so it’s important to keep my victim alive, thus healers and a doctor are on hand at all times to keep the wretch alive.

They are to be tortured beyond despair until begging for death. At which point they are welded into permanent short chains (or nailed as required), and sent to the quarry to be worked til death under the watchful gaze and lash of my cruelest overseers. The last such escapee lasted over 15 years in complete misery yet made me a profit on my precious quarry stone...

C) If the slave were favoured, I would lovingly deliver all the torture personally, expressing my love directly with my kind cruelty. I may leave their limbs and eyes intact if feeling merciful and if they respond correctly. At my discretion I may favour them to live out their remaining miserable existence chained in my torture chamber.

The important lesson is not so much for the escapee but for the other slaves. I must instil in them the fear of escape. That the price is too heavy to even contemplate escape, and that it is any slave’s solemn duty to report any rumours of proposed escape attempts...

My slaves love me through fear. They understand as chattel they are only fit to serve beneath my boot under my lash. Anything less than total commitment to me will be dealt with severely.

My philosophy is that Crucifixion is only used if required after months of torture.... i agree it is a perfect instrument for a slave’s death but try to only employ it as part of my generous retirement package.

I prefer pain and agony over much longer timeframes as it creates despair of any choice by my property. And because I can savour it.

————————————

In summary, it’s probably not a good idea to put an extreme masochist like me in charge of a slave camp, because I will visit my most brutal fantasy’s upon my objects. Without any mercy or pity, served in frustration that I am truthfully on the wrong side of the whip!

Last edited:
A) I’m certainly not going to “write them off”! Such a concept is appalling, if I allow such an act of personal effrontery to slide, my slaves would attempt to rebel at any time!

I’d employ slave catchers, inform the law to keep an eye out, post a generous reward, and search myself with my hunting hounds. Slave is preferably returned alive, and in chains. Any damage will be assumed to be the fault of the slave.
Hmm... besides the financial cost, the problem of making a big fuss is that sometimes you still turn up empty-handed, which just draws attention to the successful escape. Do you have any plans for such an eventuality?

All slaves would also be given an additional 30 lashes above their daily allotment for allowing the escape to occur. All shackles and fetters would be checked thoroughly for defect and shortened painfully for the next 6 weeks duration.
Collective punishment, huh? It may well be quite effective in having your slaves try and prevent any escape attempts. What would you do if a would-be escapee was handed over before they got away?

The aim is to make the escapee’s pathetic life even more miserable to serve as an example. On the first day they would be heavily flogged with the Cat and bullwhip. branded with escapee symbols deeply into their cheek, breast, and buttock.

Each day would bring fresh pain from a different torture method, in addition to being whipped twice, once in the morning as the other slaves eat breakfast, and again at dinner. Each time a new torture would be added. Chained in barbed wire, nails hammered into webbing between fingers and toes, bamboo torture under finger and toe nails, beaten with a rod, breast and genital skewering, flaying patches of skin, racking, riding the horse, strappado, bastinado, hooks, etc.

On special torture days I would mercifully dispense with the lashings in favour of torture with hot irons and other heated implements or heavy electro torture.

Disfavoured slaves may lose part of a limb to slow multi day torture (no simple amputations for these miscreants) or an eye to a poker, or both.

To keep such a slave properly chained, the missing cuff would be replaced by nailing the chain to the remaing limb, usually the wrist after a hand was tortured and eventually had to be amputated.

I need to instill fear into all my slaves so it’s important to keep my victim alive, thus healers and a doctor are on hand at all times to keep the wretch alive.

They are to be tortured beyond despair until begging for death. At which point they are welded into permanent short chains (or nailed as required), and sent to the quarry to be worked til death under the watchful gaze and lash of my cruelest overseers. The last such escapee lasted over 15 years in complete misery yet made me a profit on my precious quarry stone...

A long-lasting example, huh? That should hopefully mean it doesn't need doing often. And very detailed. (Although I am quite skeptical a slave that had gone through that lasted 15 weeks at harsh labour...)

In summary, it’s probably not a good idea to put an extreme masochist like me in charge of a slave camp, because I will visit my most brutal fantasy’s upon my objects. Without any mercy or pity, served in frustration that I am truthfully on the wrong side of the whip!
Yes. And of course, on the other side you would not dream of escaping, right? (Well, perhaps unless you were treated too kindly...)

Back
Top Bottom