What to do about runaway slaves (besides the obvious!)

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thus surely proving my original point that tortured slaves are less rebellious?
The mine is a very different environment. The slaves there are usually troublemakers to begin with, so squeezing a modicum of productivity out of them by raw force is better than nothing. And even then, they rarely last very long. It's only remotely profitable because the things mined are so valuable.

I will endure for you master, you will get good profit from my labour whilst I savour my torment without complaint. Until my crucifixion, I remain your humble slave miner

I will endure for you master, you will get good profit from my labour whilst I savour my torment without complaint. Until my crucifixion, I remain your humble slave miner
Oh, I don't forsee any crucifixion (unless you attempt escape). "Work till you drop" isn't just a turn of phrase...

If a slave runs away then I would have already written them off. I would give a small reward if they were returned to me. The recaptured slave could never be used again as they may encourage other slaves to run away.
They would have to be killed as an example to the other slaves. What better way than to force the other slaves to kill the runaways. The fairest way, and I am a very fair man, is to secure ropes to each limb of the condemned (naked of course) slave and have the others lierally pull the condemned apart. This way all the other slaves can take part and see what would happen if they did the same.
The unfortunate slave would most likely have the arms ripped off first, and then one of the legs. The other leg, and the rest of the body would be left screaming until they bled to death. Justice done, and the master is happy.
The loss of the slave could be claimed back as a legitimate tax write off.

If a slave runs away then I would have already written them off. I would give a small reward if they were returned to me. The recaptured slave could never be used again as they may encourage other slaves to run away.
They would have to be killed as an example to the other slaves. What better way than to force the other slaves to kill the runaways. The fairest way, and I am a very fair man, is to secure ropes to each limb of the condemned (naked of course) slave and have the others lierally pull the condemned apart. This way all the other slaves can take part and see what would happen if they did the same.
The unfortunate slave would most likely have the arms ripped off first, and then one of the legs. The other leg, and the rest of the body would be left screaming until they bled to death. Justice done, and the master is happy.
The loss of the slave could be claimed back as a legitimate tax write off.
Well, that's certainly a way to drive fear into the hearts of the slaves. Though beware - fear and hatred are close cousins, and one day it might be you caught in those ropes.

Well, that's certainly a way to drive fear into the hearts of the slaves. Though beware - fear and hatred are close cousins, and one day it might be you caught in those ropes.
Agreed! That is the best and fastest way to trigger a slave revolt, to my opinion!

Agreed! That is the best and fastest way to trigger a slave revolt, to my opinion!
Well, perhaps he has confidence in his guards and the power of fear to keep them down.

(But then, if said things were reliable, you wouldn't have runaways in the first place...)

Of course, placing slaves in the active role of killers might give them dangerous ideas...

All three of you are correct. I had not thought of the risks of doing this. In all fairness it seems the only way would be to kill all the slaves and buy new ones, they are cheap enough. Again I could write them off against tax?
There are lots of considerations here. Of course, the purchase of slaves is tax deductable, but over five years, the period they are to written off. A written off slave is no longer tax deductable (but yields maximum profit in return). Also keep in mind that there could still be a mortgage on their heads (interests paid are tax deductable), or that you are not the owner, but you are leasing them (leasing costs tax deductable). The same for the insurance you have to take against damages inflicted to third parties by a runaway slave. The insurance also covers costs to recuperate them (of course you have to proof your insurance company that you have taken sufficient measures to prevent escape, measures, of which the costs are, right, tax deductable too).:deal:

Insurance companies are very cautious when it comes to declaring the violent death of a runaway slave, particularly when 'inflicted by the other slaves', since that practice has been denounced more than once as fraud (attempting to claim damages for an escaped slave, 'killed by the other slaves', while in fact, the owner wanted to get rid of an ill slave or a handicaped slave, no more able to work). :nono:

I strongly suggest that, before you take any measure against an escaped slave, :roto2qtemeto:to consult your accountant, and your insurance company, and always contact the authorities, before taking measures on your own behalf!:icon_tfno:

If I catch a runaway slave; the punishment is to chain their wrists and ankles to the ground, (I mean directly to the ground, one link between the shakles and the bolt) call up ALL the slaves and tell them that they can do ANYTHING to the runaway.

You see, I force my slave to compete against each other while doing a task. Individuals, couples, friends and lovers are paired up and told that whoever does better on a task has to whip the one who fails. If they aren't harsh enough they both get three times the lashes and are scrubbed of blood with saltwater. The pairs are shuffed every week or so with say, a young man going from fighting his wife to fighting his daughter.

Keep in mind that this is in addition to standard slave discipline and punishment. In other words, I make my slaves fear and hate each other as much as if not more then the taskmaster. So going back to my original point; The slave use the runaway as a sort of "stress relief" with treats given to whoever gets the runaway to beg for death or scream the loudest.

In short: The best way to keep slaves in line is to get them to do it for you without realising it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I catch a runaway slave; the punishment is to chain their wrists and ankles to the ground, (I mean directly to the ground, one link between the shakles and the bolt) call up ALL the slaves and tell them that they can do ANYTHING to the runaway.
Ooh got to love a short chaining. Those slaves given an outlet for their frustrations won’t be needing much in the way of extra incentives.
You see, I force my slave to compete against each other while doing a task. Individuals, couples, friends and lovers are paired up and told that whoever does better on a task has to whip the one who fails. If they aren't harsh enough they both get three times the lashes and are scrubbed of blood with saltwater. The pairs are shuffed every week or so with say, a man going from fighting his wife to fighting his daughter.
Slave management par excellence- certainly sounds brutal and the triple whipping threat would be fun to experience. Gives your slaves option- no, I can’t give my wife 50 lashes so we both get 150.... mmmm I just Love a good incentive
Keep in mind that this is in addition to standard slave discipline and punishment.
Seems only fair and just to this slave
In other words, I make my slaves fear and hate each other as much as if not more then the taskmaster.
Again great incentive- IMHO, we need more fear to keep us truly lowly...
So going back to my original point; The slave use the runaway as a sort of "stress relief" with treats given to whoever gets the runaway to beg for death or scream the loudest.
Yes sounds ideal/ they shouldn’t be allowed to kill the runaway so you can add your own “special treatment” later - eg put them in your quarry or mine to be worked to death under the lash and starved.
In short: The best way to keep slaves in line is to get them to do it for you without realising it.
This slave whole-heartedly agrees and will share your good ideas to Mistress....

Yes sounds ideal/ they shouldn’t be allowed to kill the runaway so you can add your own “special treatment” later - eg put them in your quarry or mine to be worked to death under the lash and starved.
That was my intent, yes.

I'm not sure this is the place to say this but... your mistress has you very well tamed and thoroughly broken, I like that.

You see, I force my slave to compete against each other while doing a task. Individuals, couples, friends and lovers are paired up and told that whoever does better on a task has to whip the one who fails. If they aren't harsh enough they both get three times the lashes and are scrubbed of blood with saltwater. The pairs are shuffed every week or so with say, a young man going from fighting his wife to fighting his daughter.

Keep in mind that this is in addition to standard slave discipline and punishment. In other words, I make my slaves fear and hate each other as much as if not more then the taskmaster. So going back to my original point; The slave use the runaway as a sort of "stress relief" with treats given to whoever gets the runaway to beg for death or scream the loudest.

A truly twisted method of divide and conquer. But I think their hatred for you might outweigh their hatred for each other - hope you can keep a tight hold.

As far as I’m concerned, it is that the punishment is proportional, i.e. the captured runaways have to walk the entire way back. As slaves, they are of course used to going barefoot, so perhaps this can be enhanced by chains. Once back, they receive - publicly - one lash on the bare back per mile they got away, and so on. This will instill a sense of futility, discouraging further runaways (the farther they get, the worse it is for them in the long run). Which is also why it is important that they be caught and returned.
I like your idea of a public whipping and the sentence of one lash per mile.

Back
Top Bottom