Wtf And Oddities

Go to CruxDreams.com
So does hair in the drain spin itself counterclockwise in The Northern Forest and clockwise in Australia?

I never did test that old story about which way the water spins. It's just water.
I've just now tried the bathroom hand basin. It went down pretty quick but I think it was going counter clockwise.
Some one like to test in the northern hemisphere? I'm willing to try several times.

It really depends on how much soap scum is on the hair...:boaa:

Who knows what gets in those drains!
(this has got to be Japanese!)

wtf_tentacle-girls.jpg

I've just now tried the bathroom hand basin. It went down pretty quick but I think it was going counter clockwise.
Some one like to test in the northern hemisphere? I'm willing to try several times.

I took up the challenge with intriguing results. The kitchen sink went counter-clockwise, the bathroom basin clockwise. BUT the cold tap in the kitchen is on the left, so when filling the vortex is counter-clockwise, and vice-versa in the bathroom. So there can be a residual effect from the filling vortex even though the water looked still when I pulled the plug.

In the manner of the best scientific papers everywhere, "further work needs to be done to explain these interesting and potentially important results."

Still, there's always The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

For the benefit of those who haven't the foggiest idea what I'm on about:

Eccentrica Gallumbits is the far-famed triple-breasted whore of Eroticon Six. Some people say her erogenous zones start some four miles from her actual body. Ford Prefect disagrees, saying five. It is possible that the Big Bang was actually one of her orgasms. :)

(hitchikers.wikia.com)
She famously said: 'Zaphod Beeblebrox is the best bang since the big one...'

So does hair in the drain spin itself counterclockwise in The Northern Forest and clockwise in Australia?
Good question, though in the northern hemisphere it should spin clockwise -
water, my hair, or any matter not attached to the surface of the earth,
will spin in the opposite direction to the earth;
if you (in a space capsule) view the earth from above the North Pole, it's spinning anti-clockwise,
viewed from above the South Pole it's turning clockwise :cool:
I'll check my hair next time I extract it from the plughole.

:confused:

Good question, though in the northern hemisphere it should spin clockwise -
water, my hair, or any matter not attached to the surface of the earth,
will spin in the opposite direction to the earth;
if you (in a space capsule) view the earth from above the North Pole, it's spinning anti-clockwise,
I'll check my hair next time I extract it from the plughole.

:confused::confused:

But surely the Earth spins eastward whichever hemisphere you are standing in ?? (says Phlebas undoubtedly displaying gross ignorance!)

Excuse me, ladies, could you hop out of the sink so I can do some further experimentation?
129035783545678382.jpg
(4 chicks in a hot tub :doh:)

If I get reproducible results I'll trumpet my success!
wtfh.jpg

But surely the Earth spins eastward whichever hemisphere you are standing in ?? (says Phlebas undoubtedly displaying gross ignorance!)

That is certainly true, but looking at that spin from directly above or directly below the earth, the direction of the spin is different, actually opposite. To quote what Eulalia said:

Now for another piece of trivia, why do clocks turn clockwise?

That is certainly true, but looking at that spin from directly above or directly below the earth, the direction of the spin is different, actually opposite. To quote what Eulalia said:

Now for another piece of trivia, why do clocks turn clockwise?

Because they were invented in the Northern Hemisphere and people modelled them on sundials?

Because they were invented in the Northern Hemisphere and people modelled them on sundials?

That's it! I don't know exactly how the Romans, Greeks, etc. expressed direction of rotation. In some novels I've read, the authors used the term "sunwise," which makes sense but I don't know whether that's what the average Roman would have said, or if they had some other term for it.

That's it! I don't know exactly how the Romans, Greeks, etc. expressed direction of rotation. In some novels I've read, the authors used the term "sunwise," which makes sense but I don't know whether that's what the average Roman would have said, or if they had some other term for it.
Back then when science wasn't politicized everyone knew the earth was flat and the sun went around the earth...

Back then when science wasn't politicized everyone knew the earth was flat and the sun went around the earth...

And daylight savings time was automatic too, since they measured their hours from sunrise to sunset and just made the hours longer or shorter to fit the season. They should junk that damned atomic clock thingie, internet time crap, etc. and just go back to that.

And daylight savings time was automatic too, since they measured their hours from sunrise to sunset and just made the hours longer or shorter to fit the season. They should junk that damned atomic clock thingie, internet time crap, etc. and just go back to that.
Hear, Hear!!! Tree does not wear a watch nor has a cell phone. He keeps time with Seagram's consumed and when needing something more accurate Marlboros smoked. The average condemned wench will last around 4 cigarettes.
hang 428.jpg
Here three are about to be hanged so Tree can calibrate his smoking....

Hear, Hear!!! Tree does not wear a watch nor has a cell phone. He keeps time with Seagram's consumed and when needing something more accurate Marlboros smoked. The average condemned wench will last around 4 cigarettes.
View attachment 481459

Having been a professional land surveyor among other things, I know that back in the mid-1800s in Texas when land was really cheap, they would sometimes measure off land by tying a rag to a wagon wheel spoke and counting the number of turns of the wagon wheel to go whatever the distance was between landmarks or property corners. So you get deeds that say "521 turns of a wagon wheel" for a distance.

Another measurement they sometimes used was the number of cigarettes that were smoked while riding a horse between landmarks. So some deeds say "5 cigarettes" for the distance. I have never seen a distance measured somehow by bottles of whiskey, but I have seen property corners that were marked either by a whiskey bottle buried with the neck sticking up, or by a pile of broken glass in the desert where they had smashed whiskey bottles to mark a property corner. Whatever works.

Now we measure everything electronically, not nearly as much fun.

:confused:

:confused::confused:

Excuse me, ladies, could you hop out of the sink so I can do some further experimentation?
View attachment 481419
(4 chicks in a hot tub :doh:)

If I get reproducible results I'll trumpet my success!
View attachment 481420
View attachment 481459
goodness what a racket. Well I'll never have to apologize for being loud again ;)
View attachment 481460

wtfh.jpg Only in Australia :rolleyes:

hang 428.jpg Calibrate his smoking? This guy doesn't even believe in climate change.:confused:

1bbce3055f32.jpg Must be some kind of alpine horn, signalling arrival at new heights :p

I think they'd have said dextra, 'to the right' -
turning 'sunwise' or 'clockwise' is associated with the priority of the right hand
(yes, lefties have always had the thick end of the stick),
it's auspicious to turn around to the right, unlucky to turn left.
As a superstitious Scot, I always stir my porridge clockwise.

Having been a professional land surveyor among other things, I know that back in the mid-1800s in Texas when land was really cheap, they would sometimes measure off land by tying a rag to a wagon wheel spoke and counting the number of turns of the wagon wheel to go whatever the distance was between landmarks or property corners. So you get deeds that say "521 turns of a wagon wheel" for a distance.

Another measurement they sometimes used was the number of cigarettes that were smoked while riding a horse between landmarks. So some deeds say "5 cigarettes" for the distance. I have never seen a distance measured somehow by bottles of whiskey, but I have seen property corners that were marked either by a whiskey bottle buried with the neck sticking up, or by a pile of broken glass in the desert where they had smashed whiskey bottles to mark a property corner. Whatever works.

Now we measure everything electronically, not nearly as much fun.
There was the old English tradition of 'beating the bounds',
when the kids were taken around the boundary of the parish
and beaten at each boundary mark, so they'd remember where it was.
Like Melissa's Whipping Sunday. :devil:

Back
Top Bottom