A quick question

Go to CruxDreams.com
I don't know how many people are here tonight (it is Saturday!), but I am curious. I have written something which I shall post later, but it seems from my wandering over the board that people post stories in bits.

Is this

a) because that's how people write them - posting as they go along?

b) seeking feedback from other members as they go along and developing something more collaborative?

c) the preferred method here for the readers?

d) a reason I haven't thought about because my brain is somewhat fried after a rather instense writing experience?

There's a limit - I forget what it is, it's pretty generous - on how much you can put in one post,
but I think over the years fairly short 'chapters' prove most popular,
give enough to keep members interested and enjoying, wanting more,
but allow time - say a day - for comments and feedback
(but don't be too much troubled if they wander off-topic a bit!)

When a story's successfully completed, if it's proved at all popular,
we (well, Madiosi) will make it into a pdf and ebook, for oour Archive and E-Book Library,
som anyone who wants to read it all through uninterrupted will be able to.

I don't know how many people are here tonight (it is Saturday!), but I am curious. I have written something which I shall post later, but it seems from my wandering over the board that people post stories in bits.

Is this

b) seeking feedback from other members as they go along and developing something more collaborative?

d) a reason I haven't thought about because my brain is somewhat fried after a rather instense writing experience?
There are different reasons. One is a technical one : there is a maximum amount of text that a single post can contain. A second reason is, that a story in short episodes reads easier, particularly on a computer screen, than one long story. The third reason is indeed the interaction with the readers on one hand, and the possibility to end episodes with a cliffhanger, keeping the reader's attraction.

Is this

Good questions all:

There are no rules about this, but most here post story episodes or chapters one at a time. There are several reasons for this. In my mind, an important consideration is that you don’t want to overwhelm your audience. Space your episodes so that readers can find the time to read them, and if you like (I think most of us do) respond with comments. You’ll also get some banter and silliness, but that doesn’t bother me. A second reason is that many of us are writing as we go, which means we are staying only one or two episodes ahead. But even if you have the whole story in the can, I find it useful to space out the chapter postings over time.

There's a limit - I forget what it is, it's pretty generous - on how much you can put in one post,
but I think over the years fairly short 'chapters' prove most popular,
give enough to keep members interested and enjoying, wanting more,
but allow time - say a day - for comments and feedback
(but don't be too much troubled if they wander off-topic a bit!)

When a story's successfully completed, if it's proved at all popular,
we (well, Madiosi) will make it into a pdf and ebook, for oour Archive and E-Book Library,
som anyone who wants to read it all through uninterrupted will be able to.

Thanks. That's helpful. It's 2,300 words.

As someone who has already wandered off-topic a fair bit, I would be the last to worry about that!

Thanks. That's helpful. It's 2,300 words.

As someone who has already wandered off-topic a fair bit, I would be the last to worry about that!
Hope the above comments help. Remember you are competing with hundreds of active threads so everyone can't read your work immediately.
I, personally am looking forward to reading your contribution!

At the end of the day, it's up to you, Migoz, whatever you feel most comforttable doing. I have seen wholes stories posted in one go (even if in 2300 word sections), and they've been fine, but you may find the engagement as you post in small sections invigorating!

I'd divide it, even if you choose to post the second part straight after the first,
it'll make it more manageable for yourself and your readers..

I don't know how many people are here tonight (it is Saturday!)

You can find the answer (more or less) if you got to the home page,
it shows who's on-line (unless they've unchecked that in their preferences),
and how many members and (unregistered) guests in total.

I'd divide it, even if you choose to post the second part straight after the first,
it'll make it more manageable for yourself and your readers..

You can find the answer (more or less) if you got to the home page,
it shows who's on-line (unless they've unchecked that in their preferences),
and how many members and (unregistered) guests in total.

T'is done (well the first part is up).

And I did actually look at that, but phrased it the way I did because I suspect not all that many people were likely even to notice my question! (I was surprised to see so many, actually!)

And I did actually look at that, but phrased it the way I did because I suspect not all that many people were likely even to notice my question! (I was surprised to see so many, actually!)
Go to your thread and copy the URL at the top and copy here so it can be noticed and we can find it.

People here are very helpful. Just watch it if they want to help you to a cross! :eek:

Yes it's best to write a story in chapters...
(I've written a few myself )
Look forward to your contributions.

Back
Top Bottom