Staff member
it was a near miss (ö):p
my 'English-programmed' PC can't do umlauts etc. when posting here -​
I have to draft in Word then copy & paste if I want accents,​
which is irritating for a linguist!​

my 'English-programmed' PC can't do umlauts etc. when posting here -​
I have to draft in Word then copy & paste if I want accents,​
which is irritating for a linguist!​
try it in this way (just like me) first you typ" and without stopping next de o and you get ö it works with much more é ü .
there is also an alt list I will look for that.;)

I've come across PCs where you could do that, but it doesn't work on mine.
I suspect there ought to be an Alt or F combination, but I've not been able to find one.
When I was a kid we had an Amstrad PCW with dear old Locoscript,
which was far better than Word for putting in accents, switching from roman to other scripts etc.
Playing with that first got me fascinated with strange languages!

try this, you can use it on every computer

Special characters

Home » Keyboard shortcuts »Special Characters
À ALT + 0192 at ALT + 0224 € ALT + 0128 × ALT + 0215
Á ALT + 0193 á ALT + 0225 ƒ ALT + 0131 © ALT + 0169
 ALT + 0194 â ALT + 0226 £ ALT + 0163 ™ ALT + 0153
à ALT + 0195 ã ALT + 0227 ¥ ALT + 0165 ® ALT + 0174
Ä ALT + 0196 ä ALT + 0228 ... ALT + 0133 ± ALT + 0177
Å ALT + 0197 å ALT + 0229 ª ALT + 0170 ÷ ALT + 0247
Æ ALT + 0198 æ ALT + 0230 º ALT + 0186 μ ALT + 0181
Ç ALT + 0199 ç ALT + 0231 ¹ ALT + 0185 ¶ ALT + 0182
Ð ALT + 0208 ¢ ALT + 0162 ² ALT + 0178 ¤ ALT + 0164
Č ALT + 0200 è ALT + 0232 ³ ALT + 0179 ° ALT + 0176
É ALT + 0201 e ALT + 0233 ¼ ALT + 0188 ‰ ALT + 0137
Ê ALT + 0202 ê ALT + 0234 ½ ALT + 0189 § ALT + 0167
Ë ALT + 0203 ë ALT + 0235 ¾ ALT + 0190 · ALT + 0183
Ì ALT + 0204 ė ALT + 0236 ¿ ALT + 0191 ¬ ALT + 0172
Í ALT + 0205 í ALT + 0237 ALT + 0136 • ALT + 0149
Î ALT + 0206 î ALT + 0238 < ALT + 0139 ¡ ALT + 0161
Ï ALT + 0207 ï ALT + 0239 > ALT + 0155 † ALT + 0134
Ñ ALT + 0209 ñ ALT + 0241 | ALT + 0166 ‡ ALT + 0135
Œ ALT + 0140 œ ALT + 0156 « ALT + 0171 ¸ ALT + 0184
Ò ALT + 0210 ò ALT + 0242 » ALT + 0187 ¯ ALT + 0175
Ó ALT + 0211 ó ALT + 0243
ri

Use the nummeric keys on the right side of your keyboard
Ô ALT + 0212 ô ALT + 0244
Õ ALT + 0213 õ ALT + 0245
Ö ALT + 0214 ö ALT + 0246
Ø ALT + 0216 ø ALT + 0248
ß ALT + 0223 ð ALT + 0240
Š ALT + 0138 š ALT + 0154
Ù ALT + 0217 ù ALT + 0249
Ú ALT + 0218 ú ALT + 0250
Û ALT + 0219 û ALT + 0251
Ü ALT + 0220 ü ALT + 0252
Ý ALT + 0221 ý ALT + 0253
Ÿ ALT + 0159 ÿ ALT + 0255
Þ ALT + 0222 þ
ALT + 0254

Þanks Admi - it seems to work, eventually!​
It doesn't always produce the expected result -​
I'll save it and experiment a bit.​
:)

Þanks Admi - it seems to work, eventually!​
It doesn't always produce the expected result -​
I'll save it and experiment a bit.​
:)
nice I make one (after checking it) in a Pdf and post that in the technical thread;)
the judge always has for the good people:p some helpfull things:D

try this, you can use it on every computer

Special characters

Home » Keyboard shortcuts »Special Characters

ALT + 0254
Hi admihoek, I just discovered this posting of yours. I tried holding the ALT key down on my iMac then I hit '0' '1' '6' '9' (or '+' then '0' '1' '6' '9'). This resulted in "0169" or "+0169" appearing as text, not the © symbol I was hoping to get. What am I missing, please? Thanks, Ranger1.

Hi admihoek, I just discovered this posting of yours. I tried holding the ALT key down on my iMac then I hit '0' '1' '6' '9' (or '+' then '0' '1' '6' '9'). This resulted in "0169" or "+0169" appearing as text, not the © symbol I was hoping to get. What am I missing, please? Thanks, Ranger1.
use the number keypad at the right of your keyboard, not the ones above the qwerty row.
Some of them work on mine, not all produce what Admi's post shows.

...one can only hope that everything Admi posts doesn't produce...

Tree

that is because an iMac is not a DOS computer. I mean the machine language of a Imac cannot read the DOS instructions.
the Dos Language was made for the first (Personal)Computers IBM made and brought on the market in 1980.
The iMac was a computer chiefly for the graphic designer and art.
use the number keypad at the right of your keyboard, not the ones above the qwerty row.
Some of them work on mine, not all produce what Admi's post shows.
if your computer is a normal DOS-computer it must work for all otherwise there is something wrong in or with your PC:p
Does anyone ...​
Hate when this happens?​
;)
of course:D

if your computer is a normal DOS-computer it must work for all otherwise there is something wrong in or with your PC:p

in "real life" I'm dealing constantly with symbols, accents and non-roman scripts,
and transferring them from one computer to another is always a pain,
I don't think there's such a thing as "normal" DOS,
at least as far as those things are concerned,
MS simply haven't got their act together, it's chaotic :rolleyes:

I as well, spent a good bit of time in Japan, and I agree totally with everything you said.....I LOVED the school children, all so polite....males and females......I was in Yakooska, Saesbo, and Shimoda....(SP?) And although I couldn't understand any of the writing, their smiles made me feel welcomed.....

Does ANYONE still use DOS? I still have my 6.23 disks here...?
Marcie it is very simple everyone who used windows and their programms use DOS:D

I remember the resistance we got, when we "forced" our users to go to Windows 95........:(
Yeh Hansi, but in what form? That is MY crux at work!
Some people should NEVER be allowed to touch a computer! My firm belief!
A guy two weeks ago, said he couldn't boot his laptop....I walked in.....his office was dark..........need I say more?

Eulalia said:

in "real life" I'm dealing constantly with symbols, accents and non-roman scripts,
Admi:
Eulalia once and for all not DOS is chaotic but the system Bill made from his own dos what we know called Windows.
here is some more about DOS
DOS (Disk Operating System) was the first widely-installed operating system for personal computers. (Earlier, the same name had been used for an IBM operating system for a line of business computers.)
The first personal computer version of DOS, called PC-DOS, was developed for IBM by Bill Gates and his new Microsoft Corporation. He retained the rights to market a Microsoft version, called MS-DOS. PC-DOS and MS-DOS are almost identical and most users have referred to either of them as just "DOS." DOS was (and still is) a non-graphical line-oriented command- or menu-driven operating system, with a relatively simple interface but not overly "friendly" user interface. Its prompt to enter a command looks like this:
C:>
The first Microsoft Windows operating system was really an application that ran on top of the MS-DOS operating system. Today, Windows operating systems continue to support DOS (or a DOS-like user interface) for special purposes by emulating the operating system.
In the 1970s before the personal computer was invented, IBM had a different and unrelated DOS (Disk Operating System) that ran on smaller business computers. It was replaced by IBM's VSE operating system.
DOS
(1)Acronym for disk operating system.
The term DOS can refer to any operating system, but it is most often used as a shorthand for MS-DOS(Microsoft disk operating system).
Originally developed by Microsoft for IBM, MS-DOS was the standard operating system for IBM-compatiblepersonal computers.
The initial versions of DOS were very simple and resembled another operating system called CP/M. Subsequent versions have become increasingly sophisticated as they incorporated features of minicomputer-operating systems. However, DOS is still a 16-bit operating system and does not support multiple users or multitasking.
For some time, it has been widely acknowledged that DOS is insufficient for modern computer applications.Microsoft Windows helped alleviate some problems, but still, it sat on top of DOS and relied on DOS for many services.
Even Windows 95 sat on top of DOS. Newer operating systems, such as Windows NT and OS/2 Warp, do not rely on DOS to the same extent, although they can execute DOS-based programs. It is expected that as these operating systems gain market share, DOS will eventually disappear. In the meantime, Caldera, Inc. markets a version of DOS called DR-Open- DOS that extends MS-DOS in significant ways.
type in your programmstartbox the dos command "cmd" and your sytem leaves windows and works in DOS only.

Marcie4you: Yes, Admi, but as a proffesional, you and I both know windows 7 in the operating envirionment, doesn't work, with dos, unless you go down to to the basics!
Some commands do.....
btw, I started troubleshooting main frame computers back in 1970 that only had transistors, with an oscillosscope!!!!!!!!!!!;)
Shows MY age I guess?:)

Eulalia:
okay O Wise One! :D
What I mean is, different versions of Windows read DOS instructions for symbols in different ways, or not at all.
There are two codes for letters, symbols etc - Unicode and ASCII - Windows uses the former, presumably Apple the latter?
But both exist in various versions and are constantly being revised.
Which is why the chances of someone else's computer being able to read correctly all the symbols I use, or vice versa, are pretty slim (even when they've apparently got the same version, Vista)
One reason is probably because I've uploaded additional symbols that weren't in my Word package.
But even quite common accents etc. can get scrambled.

Marcie:
I've noticed, fonts play heavily.....perhaps what you're trying to read, you don't have the correct font? In a an awards document for diving, I needed to forward the font I used from Office 2000, to one so they could add it to theirs.....does that help?

G'day Eulalia, I don't know if there is a "normal" (i)Mac either but to a noviciate like myself, DOS etc. does seem so unruly. I remember (with a smile) that the "Y2K" armageddon did not affect Macs.
I'm fascinated by fonts, symbol sets etc. and would love to be able to develop a font, based on my own script. Use of modifiers e.g. 'control', 'alt' or 'command' with a letter would vary that letter slightly to simulate variations of that same letter, as written in a passage of script. I'll dream on! Warm regards, Ranger1.

That was more or less how it worked with dear old Locoscript that I played with as a kid on an Amstrad PCW. You could easily switch into Greek or Cyrillic, too. Much more convenient than the jumble of symbols on Word!

G'day Eulalia, I don't know if there is a "normal" (i)Mac either but to a noviciate like myself, DOS etc. does seem so unruly. I remember (with a smile) that the "Y2K" armageddon did not affect Macs.
I'm fascinated by fonts, symbol sets etc. and would love to be able to develop a font, based on my own script. Use of modifiers e.g. 'control', 'alt' or 'command' with a letter would vary that letter slightly to simulate variations of that same letter, as written in a passage of script. I'll dream on! Warm regards, Ranger1.
That was more or less how it worked with dear old Locoscript that I played with as a kid on an Amstrad PCW. You could easily switch into Greek or Cyrillic, too. Much more convenient than the jumble of symbols on Word!
both are based on DOS:D DOS is the language instruction for all computers. Even in windows 7 and all other are all instruction based on DOS

which shows it can be done. why does Microsoft have to make life so difficult?

which shows it can be done. why does Microsoft have to make life so difficult?
Because people wanted windows. Not Bill Gates' Microsoft made it difficult but the people.
Just like they did with the different languages, religions and races. My system is better than yours and I want earn some money and that's why you had to buy my system. And thus instead of one system a new Babylon.

Back
Top Bottom