Andromeda - Bonded And Shackled

Go to CruxDreams.com
Bless you Zephyros, you have a genius for catering to my favourite fantasies!
That's a very interesting background note on Andromeda, I learnt a lot from it.
The Prometheus parallel is thought-provoking, obviously there are links (both ways, I guess)
with the development of the Judaeo-Christian concept of propiatatory/ salvific sacrifice.

You've collected a fine gallery of Andromedas - lots of my favourites
I #7, Joachim Wtewaal, is one, such a pretty monster, and a lovely blushing maiden!
I #8, Vasari is fun, too, lots going on in that one.
II #10, Doré, inspired my 'Andromeda's Challenge' poem,
'Come on boy, I'm stripped for you, skin against scales,
We both know you'll win, but I'll put up a fight...'
Some very interesting modern interpretations too -
I especially like III #6 (Joe Costello) because of the tern - one of my favourite birds -
not quite sure what it signifies, but it seems to be taking the place of any Perseus
coming to rescue the shapely blonde from a very serious-looking monster!

At the risk of driving cruxers here nuts with my Andromeda obsession,
I'll slip in a link to a couple of my Andromeda poems here...
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/eulalia-beautiful-naked-chained-to-a-rock.1380/#post-154197
Shameless promotion.
Down to the sea with you :)

From the pre-Raphaelite blog "The Kissed Mouth."

Imagine being a Victorian artist's model for a moment. You must be asked to do some odd things, pose in some strange ways, but I'm guessing there were three words that were guaranteed to make a poor girl groan...

I'm painting Andromeda!

IMG_5990.jpeg

Of course my preference among the various artworks on display is this closeup on the Jon Bell sculpture. :rolleyes:

IMG_5987.jpeg

Last edited:
From the pre-Raphaelite blog "The Kissed Mouth."

Imagine being a Victorian artist's model for a moment. You must be asked to do some odd things, pose in some strange ways, but I'm guessing there were three words that were guaranteed to make a poor girl groan...

I'm painting Andromeda!

View attachment 1360983

Of course my preference among the various artworks on display is this closeup on the Jon Bell sculpture. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1360984
Thanks for the link, Apostate, it's a highly enjoyable tour of (mostly) Victorian artists' ideas of Andromeda, strongly recommended for a 10-minute read with lots of giggles :D

Back
Top Bottom