Are Pictures Necessary To Stories?

Do you need pictures to enjoy a story?

• Yes, pictures enhance the story, and help me visualize the action

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, pictures are ok, but I am fully capable of using my imagination

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
That's a helpful observation, Old Slave.

Writing 'The Interrogation and Punishment Centre for Girls' was my first large-scale attempt to come to terms with my own 'dark side',
up to then I'd really only written poems, and I still feel that distilling my fantasies and feelings into few carefully-chosen words,
usually within some kind of formal structure (even if it's not one that's obvious to readers), can produce the most powerful effect.
But IPCG was a kind of therapy, I needed to write it for myself, I think there are passages in it that I'm reasonably pleased with,
but I can well understand your feeling that it leaves too little to the imagination (I have that problem myself with a lot of de Sade
never mind lesser writers in the sadistic vein).

And, on the theme of this thread, sometimes when I'm reading really effective writing by a good many of our authors here,
I ignore any pictures, the words are enough to feed my imagination, pictures just overload and constrain it -
and the converse is true when looking at pictures that stimulate my imagination and tell, or (better) hint at, stories without words.

it depends on the pictures :)
what I mean is, with quite a lively imagination, I don't always want text with pictures
or pictures with text, but I certainly wouldn't want to inhibit you Repertor or anyone,
a 'micro-story' is often a great way of telling what a picture says to you,
and that can add to our enjoyment too.

Yes, we still haven't come up with a word in English for non-comic picture-stories,
even 'cartoon' has acquired too much Disney baggage.
Bandes desinées in France are regarded as a serious literary genre,
I think there are comparable kinds of creative work in Japan,
but in the anglophone world, 'comics' are funny and/or for kids.

Neil Gaiman generally sticks with the term "grapic novel", which he sees as a serious new literary art form, with good reason. Not sure what one would call a shorter work - "graphic short story"?

I was also going to suggest "graphic novel".
In fact it pretty much can be defined as a "non-comic picture story".
BTW: according to Wikipedia, the first book published with the term "graphic novel" was Will Eisner's "A Contract With God" in 1978.

Yes, we still haven't come up with a word in English for non-comic picture-stories,
even 'cartoon' has acquired too much Disney baggage.
Bandes desinées in France are regarded as a serious literary genre,
I think there are comparable kinds of creative work in Japan,
but in the anglophone world, 'comics' are funny and/or for kids.

Even Dr. Who was referred to as a cartoon ... wasn't it?

I've seen many Episodes from the original show. Maybe yes ... maybe no? But it was really fun and it did make you think.

I think that I would have fit right in.

sexy-blonde-vs-police.gif ;)

Blues and twos, boys! :p

Siss did that to me on purpose!!!

:spank::spank::spank:

T

Sweet little ole' me?

Now ... Now ...

I'm the one that no one dares (but you) to put me through true horror. ;)

Anyway! What were you doing across the pond??????????????

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom