Artificial Intelligence Stories

Go to CruxDreams.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wragg

Chronicler of Crux
Staff member
Artificial Intelligence stories

We've seen a few recent threads involving stories generated by artificial intelligence (AI) and we've been chatting about them in the staff room.

As curiosities, they are interesting, and it is a testament to the power of data processing that a computer algorithm can sample millions of stories and then come up with a story of its own based upon a few key words.

Art and storytelling, though, are an important part of humanity. Humans, over the milennia, have told each other stories, or painted images, so that other humans can respond to them. It takes a high degree of skill and imagination to come up with a story or an image which provokes significant emotional reactions in our fellow humans.

A comment was made on one of the AI story threads that they are 'bland but coherent'. I thought that summed both the stories up nicely. A bit like mashed potato, a sideshow to the main course. (I wonder if a computer would have made that association, or come up with that line? :D )

Yes, I've looked at some of the stories and pictures, but now I've stopped, because I have satisfied my curiosity as to the current state of AI. Now they do nothing more for me.

So, we'll let the existing AI threads stand, but any new ones will be merged into the existing ones. But please don't regurgitate dozens of AI stories just because you can vary the keywords, it really will rapidly become very tedious to other users, and you will find yourself talking to yourself very quickly.

If someone chooses to get AI to generate a story for them, and then present it as their own, no-one might be ever be aware of that, you might get some likes, but we would gently suggest that if you want to rise above 'bland but coherent' then you MUST let your own imagination do the work, and, in doing so you will discover that your imagination is one of the most precious and enjoyable gifts that you have. It is not something that we should willingly delegate to a computer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom