Bartnel's Inferno

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thx :)
@jedakk : First one is a Poser render (I don't use DS). I think Poser is very good for indoor renders, but it's better to apply indirect light, and even better : with sub-surface scattering for body texs.
Other ones are Vue renders (outdoor).

I also like her expression in the third render, but, I'm not completely satisfied because she doesn't seem to suffer enough ... for someone whose wrists are nailed ! Maybe the effect of the "cup of mercy" is not completely gone ?

I agree about the indirect lighting, and I use subsurface scattering too. Have you used EZ Skin from SnarlyGribbly? The results I've gotten with it are outstanding although it does generate some really complex shader trees. One of the big challenges I had with that was where I wanted to mask areas of skin where there were blood drips - didn't want subsurface scattering on the blood, wanted high specular, etc. It took some thought to include the separate shaders for those areas on the same figure.

The thing about expressions is that in reality they often only last for a a second, especially where a person is going through a turmoil of emotions - fear, anger, agony, despair, etc. She might have been screaming in agony a split second ago, but during the instant you've captured she might be taking a breath for the next scream or groan, and her fear and anticipation dominates her face. Just my take on it.

I had with that was where I wanted to mask areas of skin where there were blood drips - didn't want subsurface scattering on the blood, wanted high specular, etc.
Yes : I encountered the same problem !
As I don't use Poser first (but Vue) I didn't searched long ... so, I avoid using SSS when blood is in the picture.
In fact, I think SSS is useful mainly for close views ?

Another portrait (same girl, same situation, the next scream ;) ):

Bartnel29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As I don't use Poser first (but Vue) I didn't searched long ... so, I avoid using SSS when blood is in the picture.

View attachment 405287

Yes, that's true, SSS is not of great value where you're not doing close-up renders. I did manage to figure out how to use it along with blood and whip marks, but it was a real challenge. You have to make masks for the blood, whip marks, etc. that you use with a Blender node to control how you combine the areas that have SSS with those that don't, same with specular, etc.

I only did it because I wanted to be able to use the same figure in a lot of scenes, changing her texture mapping to show her before and after whipping and at the different stages in her crucifixion. Once I had each texture set done, I saved it as a menu item so it's easy to apply at that point.

And that is an excellent expression on that girl, by the way, a great combination of agony and despair.

View attachment 405287
The tech stuff is over my head but this is great art!!!

Thanks everybody :)

No I don't really have a site, but you can see more at renderotica:
http://www.renderotica.com/artists/Bartnel/Gallery
(no crux stuff there... I share my crux work ONLY here)

If you want to help me with purchasing stuff, all I provide is higher resolution : around 1920x1080 (pics) & 1024x576 (movies).
Please contact me in private to know more...

I have to... have a look! :)

Back
Top Bottom