Cally

Go to CruxDreams.com
Congratulations Wragg, on an outstanding and beautifully written tale of the supernatural! I love your addition to the lore of railway ghost stories.

I am wondering if Cally was named for the Scottish Railway Company which tragically holds the record for the worst UK railway disaster, outside Quintinshill signal box almost three years to the day after the events you describe. How sad that Cally could not have saved over 200 lives that day on the Caledonian.

Congratulations Wragg, on an outstanding and beautifully written tale of the supernatural! I love your addition to the lore of railway ghost stories.

I am wondering if Cally was named for the Scottish Railway Company which tragically holds the record for the worst UK railway disaster, outside Quintinshill signal box almost three years to the day after the events you describe. How sad that Cally could not have saved over 200 lives that day on the Caledonian.
As Wragg's story evolved, I first thought it would go into a Quintinshill scenario (a signalman accepting a train on a line on which he just had shunted another train - which he had completely forgotten). Diverting the troop train at full speed on the loops had not been an option, since they were occupied by freight trains, and it would otherwise have derailed anyway., because of its speed
Maybe Cally was there, but the men on the signalbox were so distracted by discussing the war news with the engine crews, they probably did not have noticed her.

Quintinshill :(

A terrible accident caused by signalmen, and a good example of 'why you don't want unnecessary people in your signalbox' - Signalman Tinsley had taken over from from his colleague Meakin; there were also two goods train guards in the box, all having a natter about the war news.

They failed to warn the next box that they had backed a local passenger train onto the wrong line to allow an express to pass, they failed to protect that local train by putting collars on the signal levers so they couldn't accidentally pull the levers, even when the fireman from the local train came up to the box (he merely signed the register and returned to his train without checking the collars on the levers, which he should have done) and then Tinsley clean forgot about the local train and accepted the troop train and got clearance from the next box, so it could come through at full speed....

On the local train they saw the signals clear, they knew there was going to be a crash and couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Yes, Cally would have done a good job. She at least would have dragged their attention away from the newspaper and the war news. The name 'Cally' just popped into my head, but maybe it was Freudian... :confused:

_83164315_quintinshill_2_edit.jpg

Last edited:
As Wragg's story evolved, I first thought it would go into a Quintinshill scenario (a signalman accepting a train on a line on which he just had shunted another train - which he had completely forgotten). Diverting the troop train at full speed on the loops had not been an option, since they were occupied by freight trains, and it would otherwise have derailed anyway., because of its speed
Maybe Cally was there, but the men on the signalbox were so distracted by discussing the war news with the engine crews, they probably did not have noticed her.

Sorry, I took a while over my answer, and didn't see your reply, Loxuru.

Quintinshill :(

A terrible accident caused by signalmen, and a good example of 'why you don't want unnecessary people in your signalbox' - Signalman Tinsley had taken over from from his colleague Meakin; there were also two goods train guards in the box, all having a natter about the war news.

They failed to warn the next box that they had backed a local passenger train onto the wrong line to allow an express to pass, they failed to protect that local train by putting collars on the signal levers so they couldn't accidentally pull the levers, even when the fireman from the local train came up to the box (he merely signed the register and returned to his train without checking the collars on the levers, which he should have done) and then Tinsley clean forgot about the local train and accepted the troop train and got clearance from the next box, so it could come through at full speed....

On the local train they saw the signals clear, they knew there was going to be a crash and couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Yes, Cally would have done a good job. She at least would have dragged their attention away from the newspaper and the war news. The name 'Cally' just popped into my head, but maybe it was Freudian... :confused:
You gave a good summary of the chain of events that led to that disaster.

She was dressed in blue - the locomotive livery of both the Great Eastern, which you describe, and the Caledonian (and not widely used by many other companies as far as I am aware) so the association for me was visual as well as literal.
Now you're scaring me, Bob! :eek:

Charlie gawped at the crucified woman. He went over and touched her, her flesh was warm, the blood and the nails real.

“Oh God, Charlie! Am I suffering for nothing?”...
But the freight was racing towards him, even if the passenger train stopped at his outer signal, there was no way that freight train was going to stop in time.

“Charlie!” Cally was in agony, “DO SOMETHING!”...

They buried him in the churchyard of the little church of St Barnabas, in Chappel. One of the mourners, standing slightly apart from the rest, was a young woman, about twenty, with long satin-black hair, and blue shoes. She dropped some soil into the grave, and left, weeping gently.
Splendid story, Wragg! I was hoping we'd see something from you again. Wonderful description of the signal box workings, and the mysterious appearance of Cally was superb, a nicely paced but gentle build of foreboding in the first section, followed by the shock of her mysterious and seemingly instantaneous crucifixion. Was she real? An angel perhaps, bringing her divine warning? A nicely written device. Nice to see her show up at Charlie's funeral - perhaps gods do feel a twinge of remorse when they have to sacrifice their servants.

Is Cally your muse, or are you hers? :confused: Be careful. ;)
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Perhaps I can help him play with his little ones ...
View attachment 487067
View attachment 487079 What's wrong with wearing a tank? :mad:
Nothing. Nothing at all.:rolleyes: I'm sure it's not a distraction - not in the slightest.;):oops:
Thomas-crash1.jpg

Some more railway nostalgia:
"Ich denke oft an Piroschka" is an old romantic movie (1955).
The background setting is a small Hungarian station where Piroschka's father is the stationmaster.

Complete movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTqCqrLprsE&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Splendid story, Wragg!

Is Cally your muse, or are you hers? :confused: Be careful. ;)
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Nothing. Nothing at all.:rolleyes: I'm sure it's not a distraction - not in the slightest.;):oops:
View attachment 487138

Thanks Jollyrei! :)

All I know is that I'm now doubly sure that I don't want to suddenly meet any crucified women! :eek:

View attachment 487139 Now you are accusing me of causing the Great Thomas Train Wreck of ....?

What immense powers I must have :rolleyes:
Well, at least trains can't swerve when the drivers see you... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom