Convicted of blasphemy.

Go to CruxDreams.com
I would be grateful to anyone who would like to describe and recount my and my wife's crucifixion. Convicted of blasphemy.
Do you have anything in mind about a background? A specific country, era, type of government? Or all fictional? What's the age of the characters? Just both of them crucified, or more condemned?

Notice : I have tried to pour these ideas into a short vignette – just creating a setting of the social background. Not yet the details.

Era : early in what later got known the 4rd century AD, after Diocletian’s persecutions.

Since centuries, the Romans have venerated a whole pantheon of Olympic gods. Usually, how one would deal with them, was a personal matter. It had always been safer of course to respect them, and in case you wanted something from them, to make a humble offer, in a temple dedicated to the deity, or on a private home altar. Neglecting the gods, on the other hand, did not necessarily offend other people. But if at the end, if luck, success and prosperity would have turned their back towards you, don’t complain, it’s all your own fault. You should have brought more respect to the gods! They always win, remember!

Times had been easy, when almighty Jupiter had Rome for his own! Since, the empire had become a patchwork of religions. Jupiter had to tolerate the Serapis cult, upcoming Christianity, Judaism, and some Germanic deities, to name the most numerous ones!

After Diocletian’s persecutions, the empire longed to peace! Among the population, the support for the once popular mass executions in the arena had gone. Such was no longer perceived as a distraction, but as a waste of tax payer’s money! Meanwhile, the many religions had established themselves into such a social position, they could all want – request – inclusion, equity in diversity.

So, the emperors submitted to the request for inclusion, and declared religious tolerance, in exchange for solid support of their position. But, no inclusion without exclusion. This policy of tolerance paradoxically resulted into new persecutions, targeting those who would not adhere to any of the religions. The religions wanted to expand their power, by submitting as many people as possible to their beliefs, thereby convincing that the more true believers, the stronger the emperor’s position, and policies, through the influence on them by the religion’s priests. Those who did not submit explicitly to a belief, were now perceived as the enemies of the social fabric of the empire. Offending religious beliefs and their perceived values, became a crime, to be punished with seizure of all goods, loss of Roman citizenship and… death by crucifixion!

Place : a town in Italy, just outside the walls, on a knoll along the road to Rome.

Time : just after sunset.

In the half dark of twilight, I see a cat passing along. It is already the second one in about five minutes. As she notices me, she takes a moment of vigilance, but, immediately releasing that I am not a danger, she walks on, undisturbed, while looking at me with clear contempt.

A bit further, I even spot yet another one! There is a logic in their presence. Cats come where birds are. Birds come where insects are. Insects come where crucified are. By moments, they gather with tens, with hundreds on the condemned’s naked bodies.

That’s another of the many humiliating aspects of being crucified : falling down from the top of the food chain, to become insect fodder.

Probably used to dwell around on the site, the cat senses that I am no danger for it at all! That animal is smart enough to be aware than a living human body that is nailed to a cross, despite being much bigger, is weak, impotent and powerless! Hence also the mocking contempt in the cat’s look!

The cat suddenly stops, briefly startled by a word – or a moan - of another condemned. Then walks on further: just another harmless, nailed human!

There are several nailed humans here around. Some condemned for blasphemy, others for crimes like theft, murder and rape. Some of them are slaves.

Blasphemy! ‘Blasphemia’, as it reads on my titulus. Speaking bad, saying evil, insulting, showing disrespect of god(s), religion and related sacred things. Things like that!

Among those others condemned for blasphemy is Barbaria, daughter of the wealthy merchant Gaius Morrius, from Aqua Nubilum. The blasphemy she has committed was during an orgy, where, after having consumed at least one amphora of Riesling wine, she had made demeaning remarks about the emperor’s genitals. That was of course enough to have her accused of blasphemy, since, as the prosecuting magistrate emphasized : “The Emperor’s genitals are a sacred good! Insulting them is blasphemy!”. Underway to her cross, Barbaria was heard complaining that orgies are no longer what they used to be, when people take offence about joking talk!

Crucified for blasphemy are also a man named Lucas Soranus, an ambitious man, they say, who had however pushed his luck too far during debating.

And a townsman named Piedi, who was sentenced to the cross with his wife, both also for blaspemy..

The other condemned, slaves or criminals are of course used for enhancing the social degradation of the former decent citizens, now crucified for blasphemy : “This is what you are worth now : the same as slaves, murderers and rapists!”

Below, I hear the scratching of claws at the bottom of my post. I cannot see, but is there a cat that needed a scratching post? Or is she coming for the blood that has seeped from my ankles? “Go away!” I try to say, but I do not think it sounds strong enough to be convincing!

(…)

@piedi : as you can see, the viewpoint would be from another crucified, condemned for the same crime. Since I have no idea how you imagine yourself and your wife, or the background of your conviction, all options are still open. If you have another opinion about your fantasy, no problem for me.

@Lucas Soranus and @Barbaria1 : I gave both of you a cross too, Lucas because of his shown interest, and Barb, because, what would be a crucifixion without Barb, and she would be rebellious enough to get into trouble under such decrees?

Among those others condemned for blasphemy is Barbaria, daughter of the wealthy merchant Gaius Morrius, from Aqua Nubilum. The blasphemy she has committed was during an orgy, where, after having consumed at least one amphora of Riesling wine, she had made demeaning remarks about the emperor’s genitals

reincarnated many centuries later as the wayward, headstrong daughter of a major German industrialist and whipped during her time in the BDM for a similar blasphemous crime about another ruler’s genitals?

Underway to her cross, Barbaria was heard complaining that orgies are no longer what they used to be, when people take offence about joking talk!

there must be a genetic explanation for her complaining.

Nice writing, Lox!

reincarnated many centuries later as the wayward, headstrong daughter of a major German industrialist and whipped during her time in the BDM for a similar blasphemous crime about another ruler’s genitals?
The wealthy merchant Gaius Morrius had always predicted, his wayward daughter would end on the cross, if she kept making joles about dignitary's genitals! :facepalm:

I consider the construction of a social background for fantasy to be very important! However, I have long come to the conclusion that the more realistic the background, the less fun it is. History is a giant human meat grinder, which is justified only by progress!
That depends on personal appreciation. Fantasy setting as a distant (historical) mirror of reality has always attracted me! My rebellious nature, perhaps?

Notice : I have tried to pour these ideas into a short vignette – just creating a setting of the social background. Not yet the details.

e others condemned for blasphemy is Barbaria, daughter of the wealthy merchant Gaius Morrius, from Aqua Nubilum. The blasphemy she has committed was during an orgy, where, after having consumed at least one amphora of Riesling wine, she had made demeaning remarks about the emperor’s genitals. That was of course enough to have her accused of blasphemy, since, as the prosecuting magistrate emphasized : “The Emperor’s genitals are a sacred good! Insulting them is blasphemy!”. Underway to her cross, Barbaria was heard complaining that orgies are no longer what they used to be, when people take offence about joking talk!
I do not know how one finds anything problematic about the emperors genitals, as we can see they are so small you could not find any errors with them, since the microsope was not yet invented (Zacharias Jansen (1588 - 1631)) I hope he can use his asshole for sex, at least he is a big asshole, he might also have big one.
f105_1.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely (but for sure, I do not know how you see yourself and your wife in this context - age range, body shape, proper backstory), that could be added to the story.
What do you mean by backstory? We are good-looking thirty-year-olds, she is blonde, with nice breasts and a big ass. I'm long-limbed and a good bird

Back
Top Bottom