Go to CruxDreams.com
Two days of the grueling torture of the cross has Valeria wondering why she volunteered. Though she holds the crowd's attention and certainly the soldiers' who torment her, she cannot she how she looks on the cross. There is only the constant pain as she hangs from the wood. And then there is Camilla... Did her friend betray her? Why would she do so?

...and Valeria begins to wonder why can't she die. Has she not suffered enough?

Two days of the grueling torture of the cross has Valeria wondering why she volunteered. Though she holds the crowd's attention and certainly the soldiers' who torment her, she cannot she how she looks on the cross. There is only the constant pain as she hangs from the wood. And then there is Camilla... Did her friend betray her? Why would she do so?

...and Valeria begins to wonder why can't she die. Has she not suffered enough?
Valeria didn't volunteer, she got convicted, that's a little different

The wheel'supplice is certainly more painfull than the crucifixion'one ...
I don't know, I have my doubts.

Both methods were very painful if performed strictly.

In the case of the wheel, it was very common for the executioner to give the "coup de grace" which significantly shortened the suffering of the victim. If not, however, the wheel was an atrocious way to die. I find it creepy when the executioner twists the limbs broken in various parts and with open wounds, among the spokes of the wheel, splintering bones. I doubt any victim could endure that much pain without losing consciousness.

In the case of the crucifixion, an anesthetic was sometimes given to the victim (as happens with the "vinegar" offered to Christ and which he rejects), then there is the crurifragium which is very painful as Marcus shows us, but also accelerates the death of the victim. The nails in the wrists and feet are certainly very painful but they also shorten the ordeal. A person crucified with ropes could possibly last several days, which can be much worse.

I depends....

Back
Top Bottom