Eulalia’s Martyrdom In The History Of Art

Go to CruxDreams.com

Zephyros

Magistrate
Part I

According to the fourth-century account by Prudentius, Eulalia was “descended from one of the best families in Spain” and distinguished herself “from infancy” by “an admirable sweetness of temper, modesty, and devotion, a great love of the holy state of virginity, and by her seriousness and contempt of dress, ornaments, diversions, and worldly company.” In 304, when she was 12 (or in some accounts, 14), Eulalie suffered her martyrdom described like this: Dacian ordered that her body had be torn by iron hooks. Lighted torches were applied to her breasts and sides, fire was applied to her wounds to increase her sufferings and in this process her hair caught fire. She was asphyxiated by the smoke and flames, gaining the crown of martyrdom around the year 304. It is also said that when she was dead a dove flew out of Eulalia's mouth, to this many soldiers cowarded. Legend says that when she was thrown naked into the street, snow fell to cover her; later when her ashes were dumped in a field, snow fell on them to create a burial palls whiteness indicating her sainthood.

We know this scenario very well e.g. by John William Waterhouse - 1885 and many other artist …

In the ninth-century France, her (Eulalia’s) story has not progressed very far from Prudentius: her death is now formulaic (beheading), but the only torment described is being thrown into the flames. Other versions of the story place her in Barcelona and add to her torments. The Breviary of Martin of Aragon from 14th-century shows her crucified (Bibliothèque Nationale de France, Paris)

Breviary of Martin of Aragon.jpg

The fresco at her cathedral in Barcelona shows her beaten with rods, raked with hooks, doused with hot oil, crucified in the spread-eagle position, and finally crucified like Christ while being burned. Some elements of the standard virgin martyr narrative, however, are missing: there is no conflict with her family, no marriage or seduction attempt, and she is not beheaded.

Today, we know Eulalia of Merida and Eulalia of Barcelona, but I think they both are one and the same person … just differed by local legends … like Saint Julia … The martyrdom facts are very similar, too.

But there is one interesting fact in the history of the worship - especially in Barcelona – worship is now since the 7th century established with the hymn “Fulget hic honor”, “glory shines here” , the bishop of Barcelona Quiricus - he reigned 650 - is attributed. 877 was Eulalia’s - alleged - grave discovered her sarcophagus is on the same named cathedral in Barcelona.

Eulalia de Barcelona is mostly shown crucified, and there a lot of artworks displaying her on an X-shaped or later T-shaped cross.

More than 50 artists - some are unknown - arranged their working to Eulalia’s martyrdom, many of the antiques show her crucified … Here are some of my favorites

Back choir of the Cathedral of Barcelona

Project and realization: Bartolomé Ordóñez (1515–19) - Choir division (Catedral de Santa Creu, Barcelona, Spain) until his death. Then, Pedro Villar.

#1.jpg #2.jpg #3.jpg

· Back choir of the Cathedral of Barcelona

· Flagelacion of St. Eulalia: Pedro Villar or Claudio Perret

· Crucifixion of St. Eulalia: Pedro Villar

Eulalia – now raised from the dead – displaying herself with recreated bosom … presenting her token, the X cross and flashing her breast

#4.jpg #5.jpg

Crypt of Saint Eulalia (under the main altar), Cathedral of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

· Left main panel with the first scene, depicting the trial where Eulalia is condemned by the praeses Datianus

· Centre main panel with the second scene, depicting how Eulalia is martyred by whipping under the command of praeses Datianus

· Right main panel with the third scene, depicting Eulalia on the cross where her flesh is teared apart with hooks under the presence of praeses Datianus

#6.jpg #7.jpg #8.jpg #9.jpg

All panels were created by an unknown sculptor from Pisa in the 14th century.

to be continued ...

Part II

And some more …

Museo Nacional de Arte Romano de Mérida

#11.jpg

Emilio Franceschi (1860–90) - San Apollinare Nuovo in Ravenna / Italy: Eulalia hanging from her cross

#12.jpg

Roberto Michel, 1753–61: Eulalia tied to a tree and tortured with fire (Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, Spain)

#13.jpg #14.jpg

And some unknowns …

N.N. 17th Century (fragment of an altarpiece): two torturers holding torches to Eulalia's armpits (Museu de Granollers (Catalonia), Spain)

#15.jpg

N.N. End 18th Century: Eulalia crucified naked, turning her head away in shame

#16.jpg

Adriaen Collaert, 1608 (from P. Bartoloméo Ricci SJ, “Triumphus Jesu Christi Crucifixi”, also Pedro de Bivero, “Sacrum sanctuarium crucis et patientiae crucifixorum et cruciferorum”, 1634): Eulalia nailed to a cross and tortured with the “cat's paw” (Kirishitan Bunko, Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan)

#17.jpg

These are only a few of my collection about 150 images …

EULÀLIA Esbart Barcelona

The Altar of the Cathedral of Barcelona once again becomes the magical place where life of Santa Eulalia recreates. On the crypt where her remains rest, Esbart Barcelona offers a view of the danced life and passion of the patron saint of Barcelona. The profession of the Christian faith, the martyrs who suffered, died and their subsequent glorification in Roman times come alive through the choreography of Louis Calduch Ramos, director of the Barcelona Folk and Music Cassú Francis and George. EULÀLIA is a tribute to the heritage of social, cultural and religious devotion to Santa Eulalia in the historical mean of Barcelona, as happened in the 1714 siege of the city where the population was entrusted the saint, taking the flag in the street, to be encouraged to continue the battle. For this and many other reasons, is EULÀLIA Esbart Barcelona an offering to honor the city and its patron.

Eulalia Easbart - (1).jpg Eulalia Easbart - (2).jpg Eulalia Easbart - (3).jpg

to be continued ...

Part III

Martyr (The Death of Saint Eulalia)

On October 10, 2003, five minutes of the film Martyr (The Death of Saint Eulalia) were screened to an audience of academics at the Siena Center for Medieval and Early Modern Studies during its annual Interdisciplinary Conference.

As the postmodern world is stormed by an onslaught of religious fundamentalism and resurrected holy wars, Camille, a 21st century young French woman, experiences the passion of a 3rd century virgin martyr.

Martyr (TDoE) - (1).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (3).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (4).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (6).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (7).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (9).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (10).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (12).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (21).jpg Martyr (TDoE) - (26).jpg

Starring: Carmen Paintoux, Mickael Trodoux, Natacha Petrovich, Erik Antoine, Veronica Paintoux, Jac Avila
Directed by: Jac Avila

There is a reference to an older threat:
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/eulalias-punishing-and-salvation.1094/

Thankyou Zephyros - that's as good an article on the history of my CF-name-saint as I've seen anywhere!
You seem to have a collection of 'Eulaliana' that rivals or beats mine :D

I think the only point of any substance that I'd add
is that one of the earliest pieces of writing in the French language
is the Sequence (or Canticle) of St Eulalia, dating from about 880:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence_of_Saint_Eulalia

Buona pulcella fut eulalia.
Bel auret corps bellezour anima
Voldrent la ueintre li deo Inimi.
Voldrent la faire diaule seruir
Elle no'nt eskoltet les mals conselliers.
Qu'elle deo raneiet chi maent sus en ciel.
Ne por or ned argent ne paramenz.
Por manatce regiel ne preiement.
Niule cose non la pouret omque pleier.
La polle sempre non amast lo deo menestier.
E por o fut presentede maximiien.
Chi rex eret a cels dis soure pagiens
Il li enortet dont lei nonque chielt.
Qued elle fuiet lo nom christiien.
Ell'ent adunet lo suon element.
Melz sostendreiet les empedementz
Qu'elle perdesse sa uirginitet.
Por o's furet morte a grand honestet
Enz enl fou lo getterent com arde tost.
Elle colpes non auret, por o no's coist.
A czo no's uoldret concreidre li rex pagiens.
Ad une spede li roueret tolir lo chieef.
La domnizelle celle kose non contredist.
Volt lo seule lazsier si ruouet Krist.
In figure de colomb uolat a ciel.
Tuit oram que por nos degnet preier.
Qued auuisset de nos Christus mercit
Post la mort et a lui nos laist uenir
Par souue clementia.

Eulalia was a good girl,
She had a beautiful body, a soul more beautiful still.
The enemies of God wanted to overcome her,
they wanted to make her serve the devil.
She does not listen to the evil counsellors,
(who want her) to deny god, who lives up in heaven.
Not for gold, nor silver, nor jewels,
not for the king's threats or entreaties,
nothing could ever persuade the girl
not to love continually the service of God.
And for this reason she was brought before Maximian,
who was king in those days over the pagans.
He exhorts her — but she does not care —
to abandon the name of Christian;
She gathers up her strength." / "And subsequently worship his god.[5]
She would rather undergo persecution
Than lose her spiritual purity.
For these reasons she died in great honor.
They threw her into the fire so that she would burn quickly.
She had no sins, for this reason she did not burn.
The pagan king did not want to give in to this;
He ordered her head to be cut off with a sword.
The girl did not oppose that idea:
She wants to abandon earthly life, and she calls upon Christ.
In the form of a dove she flew to heaven.
Let us all pray that she will deign to pray for us
That Christ may have mercy on us
And may allow us to come to Him after death
Through His grace.

Part III

Martyr (The Death of Saint Eulalia)

On October 10, 2003, five minutes of the film Martyr (The Death of Saint Eulalia) were screened to an audience of academics at the Siena Center for Medieval and Early Modern Studies during its annual Interdisciplinary Conference.

As the postmodern world is stormed by an onslaught of religious fundamentalism and resurrected holy wars, Camille, a 21st century young French woman, experiences the passion of a 3rd century virgin martyr.

View attachment 193687 View attachment 193688 View attachment 193689 View attachment 193690 View attachment 193691 View attachment 193692 View attachment 193693 View attachment 193694 View attachment 193695 View attachment 193696

Starring: Carmen Paintoux, Mickael Trodoux, Natacha Petrovich, Erik Antoine, Veronica Paintoux, Jac Avila
Directed by: Jac Avila

There is a reference to an older threat:
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/eulalias-punishing-and-salvation.1094/

Oh my gosh! Where can I watch this? it looks so amazingly beautiful!

Yes, indeed, a revelation to this Eulalia, discovering that has made my day, thankyou Malins and Zephyros -

From ArsClassica blogpot: http://arsclassica.blogspot.co.uk/
(my re-write of the garbled translation):

In 2000, the sculptor Josep S. JASSANS (1938-2006) received a very special request, to submit a project for the doors of the new façade of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. He received it as the 'great commission' of his life, and made a series of unpublished drawings and reliefs of great quality that synthesized all his wisdom in the field of sculpture, as seen in 'The survival of the Classic Spirit' ('La pervivència de l'Esperit Clàssic', Edicion Columna, Tarragona, 2003).

However, instead of selecting the great living master of Catalan sculpture, the committee decided in the end to commission a Japanese artist.

Still, we are delighted by his innovative 'Saint Eulalia', which renews traditional iconography, creating a crucifixion filled with eroticism, the 'a priori' of suffering. In the words of [Georges] Bataille ('Eroticism', 1957) "If we want to determine the point where the relationship between eroticism and mystical spirituality is revealed, we must return to that inner vision from where only, or almost only, the religious set out."

a project for the doors of the new façade of La Sagrada Familia
An Eulalia 'filled with eroticism' for the Sagrada Familia...
In honesty I'm not totally convinced of the outside view onto Sagrada Familia, it's Gaudi being Gaudi again...

But inside, it's the most sublime geometry I've ever seen in any building.

Full of kaleidoscopic beauty, fine gradations, magical light, and mostly designed on mathematic rules derived from principles of nature. And that makes it an incredibly fitting work of architecture to represent the idea of a creator God - in there you might just believe it.
(With Gothic cathedrals it's different, those I usually find more impressive from the outside than within)
DSC04009.JPG DSC04017.JPG DSC04019.JPG DSC04021.JPG DSC04025.JPG DSC04064.JPG

Part I

According to the fourth-century account by Prudentius, Eulalia was “descended from one of the best families in Spain” and distinguished herself “from infancy” by “an admirable sweetness of temper, modesty, and devotion, a great love of the holy state of virginity, and by her seriousness and contempt of dress, ornaments, diversions, and worldly company.” In 304, when she was 12 (or in some accounts, 14), Eulalie suffered her martyrdom described like this: Dacian ordered that her body had be torn by iron hooks. Lighted torches were applied to her breasts and sides, fire was applied to her wounds to increase her sufferings and in this process her hair caught fire. She was asphyxiated by the smoke and flames, gaining the crown of martyrdom around the year 304. It is also said that when she was dead a dove flew out of Eulalia's mouth, to this many soldiers cowarded. Legend says that when she was thrown naked into the street, snow fell to cover her; later when her ashes were dumped in a field, snow fell on them to create a burial palls whiteness indicating her sainthood.

We know this scenario very well e.g. by John William Waterhouse - 1885 and many other artist …

In the ninth-century France, her (Eulalia’s) story has not progressed very far from Prudentius: her death is now formulaic (beheading), but the only torment described is being thrown into the flames. Other versions of the story place her in Barcelona and add to her torments. The Breviary of Martin of Aragon from 14th-century shows her crucified (Bibliothèque Nationale de France, Paris)

View attachment 193662

The fresco at her cathedral in Barcelona shows her beaten with rods, raked with hooks, doused with hot oil, crucified in the spread-eagle position, and finally crucified like Christ while being burned. Some elements of the standard virgin martyr narrative, however, are missing: there is no conflict with her family, no marriage or seduction attempt, and she is not beheaded.

Today, we know Eulalia of Merida and Eulalia of Barcelona, but I think they both are one and the same person … just differed by local legends … like Saint Julia … The martyrdom facts are very similar, too.

But there is one interesting fact in the history of the worship - especially in Barcelona – worship is now since the 7th century established with the hymn “Fulget hic honor”, “glory shines here” , the bishop of Barcelona Quiricus - he reigned 650 - is attributed. 877 was Eulalia’s - alleged - grave discovered her sarcophagus is on the same named cathedral in Barcelona.

Eulalia de Barcelona is mostly shown crucified, and there a lot of artworks displaying her on an X-shaped or later T-shaped cross.

More than 50 artists - some are unknown - arranged their working to Eulalia’s martyrdom, many of the antiques show her crucified … Here are some of my favorites

Back choir of the Cathedral of Barcelona

Project and realization: Bartolomé Ordóñez (1515–19) - Choir division (Catedral de Santa Creu, Barcelona, Spain) until his death. Then, Pedro Villar.

View attachment 193663 View attachment 193664 View attachment 193665

· Back choir of the Cathedral of Barcelona

· Flagelacion of St. Eulalia: Pedro Villar or Claudio Perret

· Crucifixion of St. Eulalia: Pedro Villar

Eulalia – now raised from the dead – displaying herself with recreated bosom … presenting her token, the X cross and flashing her breast

View attachment 193666 View attachment 193667

Crypt of Saint Eulalia (under the main altar), Cathedral of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

· Left main panel with the first scene, depicting the trial where Eulalia is condemned by the praeses Datianus

· Centre main panel with the second scene, depicting how Eulalia is martyred by whipping under the command of praeses Datianus

· Right main panel with the third scene, depicting Eulalia on the cross where her flesh is teared apart with hooks under the presence of praeses Datianus

View attachment 193672 View attachment 193673 View attachment 193674 View attachment 193675

All panels were created by an unknown sculptor from Pisa in the 14th century.

to be continued ...

How come I've never seen this thread?

It is more a job well written and with beautiful pictures!

Very Good, Zephyros!

Top Cat

Eulalia is bought to the cross and given one last chance to renounce her faith,, but she remained steadfast.
She will be stripped naked deflowered and crucified, like the Jesus she followed.
(I am still in the process of trying to create some unsanitised realistic picture stories of this martyrdom, but I really need the help of a skilled renderer)
Eulalia was a very young person when she was put to death, but we have to depict her as being 18.

Attachments

• Capture_02311.jpg
    Capture_02311.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 287
Eulalia is bought to the cross and given one last chance to renounce her faith,, but she remained steadfast.
She will be stripped naked deflowered and crucified, like the Jesus she followed.
(I am still in the process of trying to create some unsanitised realistic picture stories of this martyrdom, but I really need the help of a skilled renderer)
Eulalia was a very young person when she was put to death, but we have to depict her as being 18.
No Youth Protection laws in roman and medieval times though. I am always astonished how young some victims were

Back
Top Bottom