Grete And Anne

Go to CruxDreams.com
P

Pia

Grete and Anne

“Hello Anne. I’ve been waiting for you. You’ve taken so long. I thought we might travel together, but you’ve made me wait three long years. Still, I suppose you were very young back then and I was already twenty six. I’m glad you’re here now; are you?”

“How do you know my name? Who are you?”

“Don’t you know Anne? Oh, I suppose you couldn’t have known me. I lived so far away from you. I’m Grete. Isn’t it strange Anne; we don’t speak the same language, but somehow we seem to understand each other, don’t we? But back to your question. Well, I came here before you as I said, and I’ve been watching you these past two years since Christmas Eve in Sixteen Twenty. You still lived in Waret-la-Chausée then I think, didn’t you? Well, I was already here waiting. I’ve been waiting since March the previous year, when I left Tangermünde to come here. It’s been a long time and I’ve been very lonely. But I knew you’d come Anne, and now you have. Are you pleased to see me?”

“I...I don’t know. I was glad to leave. They had taken so long, and it was good to leave. Two years almost. First in Waret, then they took me to Namur. It was difficult sometimes, but I knew I’d be leaving, and when I did, and when everyone was watching me, I felt as good as I had ever felt. They’d just ignored me for so long Grete, I was such a nobody”

“I know Anne. I was watching remember. But now you’re here, I hope we can be friends. After all, we’re so alike aren’t we? I think we are anyway. You’re very beautiful Anne, didn’t people tell you that? I love your hair. It’s so thick and red and gorgeous. Can I touch it Anne? I’d love to touch your hair. You can touch mine too if you’d like”

“I’d like to Grete. I think we shall be friends. But I really don’t know anything about you. Do you know everything about me?”

“No, not really Anne. I watched a little of course. But I’ve been sad so much. I’ve been so alone. I’ve spent days on end crying, just waiting for you. Of course a few others have come along from time to time, and that’s been good. But I knew it would be you that I would really want to be with. So, yes, I know a little of your story, but not everything. I had to look away sometimes too Anne, it was just to painful to watch. It reminded me of my time when I left Tangermünde. Wasn’t it awful for you? I remember how awful it was. So perhaps we could share our stories Anne, what do you think? Shall we do that?

“Yes...yes Grete, that would be nice. But really it wasn’t that awful for me. You shouldn’t have worried so much! It was painful of course, but, well, it was what I had always somehow expected, so, well, I wouldn’t say it was awful. It made me feel grown-up.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nicely put together PK! It is both endearing and unsettling and raises so many questions. :) ;)

Grete and Anne

“Hello Anne. I’ve been waiting for you. You’ve taken so long. I thought we might travel together, but you’ve made me wait three long years. Still, I suppose you were very young back then and I was already twenty six. I’m glad you’re here now; are you?”

“Don’t you know Anne? Oh, I suppose you couldn’t have known me. I lived so far away from you. I’m Grete. Isn’t it strange Anne; we don’t speak the same language, but somehow we seem to understand each other, don’t we? But back to your question. Well, I came here before you as I said, and I’ve been watching you these past two years since Christmas Eve in Sixteen Twenty. You still lived in Waret-la-Chausée then I think, didn’t you? Well, I was already here waiting. I’ve been waiting since March the previous year, when I left Tangermünde to come here. It’s been a long time and I’ve been very lonely. But I knew you’d come Anne, and now you have. Are you pleased to see me?”

“I...I don’t know. I was glad to leave. They had taken so long, and it was good to leave. Two years almost. First in Waret, then they took me to Namur. It was difficult sometimes, but I knew I’d be leaving, and when I did, and when everyone was watching me, I felt as good as I had ever felt. They’d just ignored me for so long Grete, I was such a nobody”

“I know Anne. I was watching remember. But now you’re here, I hope we can be friends. After all, we’re so alike aren’t we? I think we are anyway. You’re very beautiful Anne, didn’t people tell you that? I love your hair. It’s so thick and red and gorgeous. Can I touch it Anne? I’d love to touch your hair. You can touch mine too if you’d like”

“I’d like to Grete. I think we shall be friends. But I really don’t know anything about you. Do you know everything about me?”

“No, not really Anne. I watched a little of course. But I’ve been sad so much. I’ve been so alone. I’ve spent days on end crying, just waiting for you. Of course a few others have come along from time to time, and that’s been good. But I knew it would be you that I would really want to be with. So, yes, I know a little of your story, but not everything. I had to look away sometimes too Anne, it was just to painful to watch. It reminded me of my time when I left Tangermünde. Wasn’t it awful for you? I remember how awful it was. So perhaps we could share our stories Anne, what do you think? Shall we do that?

“Yes...yes Grete, that would be nice. But really it wasn’t that awful for me. You shouldn’t have worried so much! It was painful of course, but, well, it was what I had always somehow expected, so, well, I wouldn’t say it was awful. It made me feel grown-up.”

A story about the dead and / or about the death!

That interests me a lot.

Go ahead, Pkindenhaag.

Top Cat

Grete and Anne

Ok PK...you have me totally hooked and intrigued....teasing your readers as usual...my mind is awhirl with the possibilities....what is going on ... where is this leading...can't wait to find out.

:bdsm-heart:

“Well Grete, you probably know all this, so stop me if I’m boring you. I grew up in Waret-la-Chausée. I know you know that. It’s just a crossroads really, a few leagues north of Namur. A blacksmiths and a hostelry and a few little houses. My mother was dead or gone. I never knew her. Father hardly knew me. He sold things around the countryside. There was never much money, but what there was he spent in the ale-house, then he’d come home drunk and shout at me if I hadn’t done the jobs right or if the food wasn’t ready. I don’t think he cared anything at all for me, Grete. He’d hit me too and pull me around by my hair. And it got a lot worse as I grew into a woman. Well, into a young woman. I’m still no more than that am I?”

“You’re lovely Anne. If I’d have met you then I would have looked after you. Come, let me touch your hands. You’re adorable.”

“Yes... well... So are you Grete. Did they do the same to you as they did to me? There are no marks on you.”

“Yes Anne, they did. And there are no marks on you now either, look at yourself. You’re perfect. Anyway, carry on with your story, go on.”

“Alright. It’s nice to talk here with you Grete. I’m not sure how old I was when I started to bleed and when my breasts began to swell, but something happened. He’d look at me and he’d wipe his filthy mouth on his sleeve and he’d grab me and then throw me into a corner and mutter to himself. He couldn’t stand being in the place with me. He saw me once by the stream, wiping myself with some rags. He just went crazy and called me filthy and a whore. He dragged me up, I didn’t know what was happening, and the next thing I knew he was pulling me across the track to the priest’s house and talking to me while he left me outside. They talked for a long time and I heard the priest mentioning money or something. I knew something was happening that would change everything. But I was a nothing to him I think. Anyway, that was more or less the last time I saw him. The priest told me to wait and soon a cart came and they took me to the convent. I remember the great door closing behind me. I thought I was being locked away for ever. It was so frightening at first. But that’s enough of me for now. What about you Grete? How did you come to be here?”

“Oh Anne... I think I am going to be much more excited by your story than you will be by mine. My story seems so ordinary really. It’s just about greedy, frightened people. You know the sort. That’s all. But I’ll tell you. Can I ask you a question though? When they did it to you, which part hurt you the most? I’d like to know... No, don’t answer that just yet. Let me tell you my story, or at least the beginning of it...”

“Well Grete, you probably know all this, so stop me if I’m boring you. I grew up in Waret-la-Chausée. I know you know that. It’s just a crossroads really, a few leagues north of Namur. A blacksmiths and a hostelry and a few little houses. My mother was dead or gone. I never knew her. Father hardly knew me. He sold things around the countryside. There was never much money, but what there was he spent in the ale-house, then he’d come home drunk and shout at me if I hadn’t done the jobs right or if the food wasn’t ready. I don’t think he cared anything at all for me, Grete. He’d hit me too and pull me around by my hair. And it got a lot worse as I grew into a woman. Well, into a young woman. I’m still no more than that am I?”

“You’re lovely Anne. If I’d have met you then I would have looked after you. Come, let me touch your hands. You’re adorable.”

“Yes... well... So are you Grete. Did they do the same to you as they did to me? There are no marks on you.”

“Yes Anne, they did. And there are no marks on you now either, look at yourself. You’re perfect. Anyway, carry on with your story, go on.”

“Alright. It’s nice to talk here with you Grete. I’m not sure how old I was when I started to bleed and when my breasts began to swell, but something happened. He’d look at me and he’d wipe his filthy mouth on his sleeve and he’d grab me and then throw me into a corner and mutter to himself. He couldn’t stand being in the place with me. He saw me once by the stream, wiping myself with some rags. He just went crazy and called me filthy and a whore. He dragged me up, I didn’t know what was happening, and the next thing I knew he was pulling me across the track to the priest’s house and talking to me while he left me outside. They talked for a long time and I heard the priest mentioning money or something. I knew something was happening that would change everything. But I was a nothing to him I think. Anyway, that was more or less the last time I saw him. The priest told me to wait and soon a cart came and they took me to the convent. I remember the great door closing behind me. I thought I was being locked away for ever. It was so frightening at first. But that’s enough of me for now. What about you Grete? How did you come to be here?”

“Oh Anne... I think I am going to be much more excited by your story than you will be by mine. My story seems so ordinary really. It’s just about greedy, frightened people. You know the sort. That’s all. But I’ll tell you. Can I ask you a question though? When they did it to you, which part hurt you the most? I’d like to know... No, don’t answer that just yet. Let me tell you my story, or at least the beginning of it...”

Sold and taken to a convent in a cart? .... oh, poor Anne.... Imagine her foreboding when the great door slammed closed behind her. Keep it coming PK!

“Anne, before I start, come over here, closer to me. That’s right. I want to be close to you. You’re really so beautiful Anne. It’s always cold here, isn’t it? I’ve tried so hard to get warm, but I never can. That’s funny isn’t it, when you think about everything. Anyway, it’s nice to touch you. Can I touch your breast Anne? You’re so soft to touch. You can touch me too, here, let me take your hand. Yes. That’s right. Just like that Anne. I like that.”

“I do too Grete. I’ve always... Anyway, more about me later. Come on, tell me about yourself.”

“Well, my early years, I think they were nice, more or less. Tangermünde was quite a pretty town then. It’s on the Elbe river you know, and it was full of rich merchants coming and going to the quays and the market. I lived with my parents and my sister in a big house behind the city walls, on the Kleine Fischerstraße, not far from the Stefanskirche and the Schloß. I’d get to know that place a lot better, but I didn’t know that then. But that’s too much detail I think isn’t it?”

“No, go on. Tell me all about it. It sounds like a big town, not like Waret. I want to know just what it was like Grete.”

“Well, back then most of the houses were all half-timbered, made of wood, great big beams and red tile roofs. The church and the castle, they were made of brick and stone, well, of course they are still are, although they had to build the church again. But I’m getting ahead of myself. I was a happy girl I think, and people said I was pretty. I liked to look at myself in the mirror in the evenings. I liked to comb my hair - it’s nice hair isn’t it? Do you like it? It’s grown long again now. They cut it very short you know. I think your red hair is much prettier though. Anyway, my mother and my sister disapproved of me, I could tell. My sister especially. And then my mother died and my mother-in-law who lived with us began to be really unpleasant. She was a very pious woman. Do you believe in God, Anne?”

“I think I do Grete. But it’s complicated. I think sometimes that when I tried to find God he was angry with me and sometimes I did bad things. But I was just trying to find him and to make people notice me I think. Anyway, go on, it’s interesting Grete...”

“My mother-in-law, she just didn’t like me at all, and she absolutely hated it when she saw me with the neighbour’s son. He was nice, Anne. Valtin he was called. I used to spend time with him. We’d walk together down to the river and sit in the sun and talk. I liked him. One day she saw us there. We didn’t know she was near us. We were kissing. Nothing bad, just a little kiss, but she went wild. She screamed at us and everyone suddenly was turning and staring at us. Valtin ran off and she dragged me back to the house and the screaming didn’t stop. She hit me with the end of a broom and I shouted back. It was a huge argument. I made my mind up there and then that I couldn’t stay and that night I crept out and tapped on the neighbour’s door. Valtin came to it and we talked together and agreed that we’d run away, and that’s what happened. The next day - I remember it was a beautiful spring day, I remember all the little birds in the blue sky - the next day, when she was at the market, we met in the little passage we called the Reuterstraße, not far from the Rathaus - oh, how well I remember that place too - and with just a few things we slipped through one of the gates down to the river. It wasn’t hard to get a ride on one of the boats there, and soon we had left the city far, far behind. Those months, I think they were the happiest of my life Anne. They really were. It was a wonderful summer that I spent wandering with Valtin. But now it’s your turn. Come on. It really is nice cuddling up to you Anne. I wish we weren’t so cold. I think we are always going to be cold now, aren’t we?”

PK
You have me so hooked on this one!!!

I love it.

“Grete, could you hold me round my shoulders please? Yes, just like that. Thank you. Your hair is really so soft you know. I love brown hair like yours. Its so dark, just like your eyes Grete. Look at me. Do you like my eyes? They’re green. I think they go well with my hair, don’t you? Well, I think so. At first it was strange to be there. It was in Liège, the Convent of the Black Sisters, but I soon found I liked it. I tried so hard to please the Mother Superior. I loved my prayers. I so wanted God to love me. I tried every day. We prayed so often you know. My knees became red with kneeling. Just like my hair. They cut it too though, like they did to you. Who cut your hair anyway Grete? You didn’t go to the convent too did you?”

“No Anne, it wasn’t in the convent. It was when I was in the Schoß, but I’ve not got to that part of my story yet. Carry on Anne, what happened to you?”

“Well, soon after I arrived the Mother Superior put me to work with another novice called Marie. She was a good girl, I could tell she knew God. I was very young then you know, very young. But we worked hard at every task we were given. I studied hard at reading and writing and learning the catechism and sowing . The Holy Mother said we were doing God’s work and I liked that. I so wanted to find the Holy Spirit. I knew that I was just a little nothing and that the Holy Spirit would make me good and make people see me as a good person, not just the hopeless daughter of the drunk. I tried very hard to do my best, Grete, really I did. I can’t tell you how much I tried Grete. But I didn’t find God’s love, even though I tried, and after a long time the Sisters said that I needed to go out into the city and work as a servant in the house of a widow called Christiane Chéraille. She was a young woman, but on her own, and she put me to work helping her in her workshop where we made repairs to clothes to sell in the cheap stall at the market place. I missed Marie a lot at first, and wished that I had my life back in the convent with her. But I hadn’t found God with her, I suppose, and the Holy Mother said that maybe I would through hard work. And so my life changed Grete, and my future was decided, although I didn’t realise that back then. Oh Grete, shall I take a little break? Let’s lie down together here shall we? I feel so thirsty, but there’s nothing to drink at all here is there?”

“We never have anything to eat or to drink Anne. We don’t need to. Your thirst will go soon, I promise you. At first I felt hunger all the time. But then I got used to it. We don’t need anything here Anne. But it’s good to have someone to talk to. That’s the one thing that never went away while I was waiting for you. I was always so very lonely, but I knew you were on your way. I’m so glad you’re here now Anne. I really am”

“I am too. I didn’t know what would become of me that day, I was a little bit afraid you know. A part of me was anyway. A part of me was happy, in a strange way. I think I told you that, didn’t I? How strange it is to think that was probably the happiest day of my life. Was it like that for you too Grete?”

“No Anne. It was different for me. Very different. But we’ll get to that. Come on, come close to me and I’ll tell you a bit more about my story”

“So what happened to you Grete? It sounds like you and Valtin were alright....After all you’d escaped from your mother-in-law and your sister. They sounded horrible Grete. What happened then?”

“Well, at first it was perfect. We really had nothing but our wits, but we soon got together with a travelling show all round Saxony and we enjoyed that. We went from fair to fair and it was fun to be with the group. There were all sorts of people - fire eaters, dwarves, clowns and magicians. We worked in the puppet show and soon we were good enough to begin to run our own stand. There were lots of whores too who came around with us, and they were such fun! Most of them had sad tales to tell, but it was always such a party with the girls in the evening once we had left a town. They really looked after each other well. And our puppet show became quite popular and as we became more skillful we could make quite enough to live on. Not enough to rent somewhere and stop traveling but then we were fond of the troop and they had become our family”

“So that sounds like fun Grete. What happened then? You wouldn’t go from the fair to being in this place without some sort of disaster happening. I don’t think you would anyway... Something must have happened...”

“I know. It did. I think we’d been on the road for just over two years, maybe nearly three. I was so happy. We really didn’t think much about tomorrow, we just loved our work and our friends and each other. It felt perfect. But perfect times never last, do they? I can’t remember which town we were in, but it wasn’t a good place. A lot of people there were sick. They were coughing and spitting blood. We’d decided to leave because business was bad and it felt like an evil place and so we set off on the road again. I remember it raining so hard. The road was a muddy mess. We moved so slowly with the wagons. And quite a few began to get sick too. A day later when I woke up I couldn’t rouse Valtin. I shook him and shook him, but he was impossible to wake and he was covered in a sweat. Soon he started shaking badly. I knew what it was. The fever got worse and when he did wake he was delirious and he started vomiting blood. It only took one more day and he died. Seven died. We buried them by the roadside. I think we thought we would all get the sickness, but we didn’t. But for me it was the end. I had lost my Valtin and I had lost my partner. There was only sadness for me now. I talked with a few friends and in the end I decided to go back home, back to Tangermünde. That was the worst decision of my life, Anne. I wish I had stayed with my friends. But back then it seemed to make sense. I thought that without Valtin they would welcome me back. The trouble was so much had changed. I wasn’t to know. I was returning to Hell”

“Why? What happened to you there?”

“Lots of things happened Anne, but they happened so fast I’m still not sure I can really explain it to myself. It still terrifies me. Tell me Anne, did they hurt you much before the end?”

“Oh yes Grete. And for so long. It was a long long time that they held me and hurt me. But, well, it’s odd, but... Does this sound strange to you Grete? When they did those things to me I knew it was because I had some hold over them. I felt important. So part of me thought that... No, I think this sounds crazy to you doesn’t it? Part of me thought it was good. I mean the pain was terrible. You know that, I think. I was afraid of the pain, but somehow I wasn’t afraid of them. I sort of had them under my spell, I thought. Do you understand Grete?”

“I really don’t think I do Anne. I think you’ll have to explain that to me. Will you tell me all about it? Come on. I want to put my head on your body Anne. I want to lie down with you. Is that alright? It’s so nice to be with you at last. Now, now you can tell me some more of your story.”

“Anne....Anne....you’re crying. Why are you crying? I thought you were glad to be here with me. Are you alright?”

“Yes... yes Grete. I.... I’m alright I think.... It’s when you asked me about the pain. It made me remember. I’m sorry Grete. I should be stronger. It’s lovely here with you...”

“It’s alright Anne. You can talk about it. You don’t have to tell me your whole story. You can talk about the pain if you want to, if it will help.”

“No. I really want you to know everything. It’s just such a long story I think. And so strange. And all the time I think of the pain. I didn’t mind at first. I knew they were going to hurt me. The first time was in the little gaol in Warêt. It was just a village lock-up, just a few cells and the chamber they used for the tortures. I knew that place so well. It was strange, you know. When they stripped me and tied me down I was quite excited. It really was thrilling for me. I must be so strange. When they pulled my clothes off and handled me so roughly it made me tingle inside. And then they just took control of me, four of them. They pulled my arms and legs out so my body was stretched and tied my wrists and ankles tightly with the ropes. They pushed a sort of saw-horse under my back and pulled the ropes so hard until they cut into me. I found that exciting. It hurt, but I could see them looking at me and could see them licking their lips as they stared at my body and my red hair falling back onto the floor. It was really exciting for me. The room was just lit by torches that flickered over me and they were all looking at me. No one had ever really looked at me that much before, apart from Christiane and her friends of course, but they were different. But I haven’t got to that part of my story have I?

Well, I suppose they probably left me there for about half and hour while they ate and drank and made jokes. My back and my arms and legs hurt more and more the longer I was tied like that, but I was still alright. It was an enjoyable sort of pain, if you can understand that. And even when they began the first part of the torture I didn’t mind. They pushed a funnel into my mouth and poured in a jug of cold water. I could hardly catch my breath, and the more they poured the more it hurt my belly and my chest. Then they poured in a second jug and I thought I would die it hurt so much, but it was still an exciting pain somehow, even though I had to gasp to breathe at all when they stopped pouring. I could feel my belly all heavy and painful and pushing against my lungs and the ropes seemed to cut deeper and deeper into me. I groaned a lot I know. But then it became awful. They kicked me until the water came out of me from my mouth and my cunt and everywhere but they didn’t stop with that. They brought in another jug and this one was steaming. It was almost boiling hot. I could feel the heat as they brought it close to my face. This time I was terrified. But they just held my head and poured it in. I can’t tell you how much agony it caused. I could feel it burning my throat and my belly and it was terrible and I thought the pain would kill me. I was bounding in the ropes but I couldn’t escape of course. Eventually they stopped and kicked me and the water came out, but I was so burned up inside and they had to roll me by the fire and cover me with a blanket and I just shook and shivered for so long. I think they thought I would die, but I didn’t. The pain was dreadful and wouldn’t stop. Not for a long time. No, not for a week or a month maybe. But I know they thought it was important to hurt me like that, and that still gave me a good feeling.

So yes, the pain wasn’t always that good Grete. But I have missed a lot out. And I’m tired remembering all that. I think we should sleep for a bit, is that alright? We can cuddle close and sleep, and then I’ll tell you what happened, or maybe you can tell me about Tangermünde. Let’s sleep for a while”

“Grete.... are you awake? I’m not sure I can sleep. Doesn’t it ever go dark here?”

“It never goes dark and the sun never comes up. It’s always the same Anne. You’ll get used to it. It’s not so bad really. But you did sleep you know. We’ve been sleeping for a day I think. Well, it would have been a day before we came here. Do you feel alright?”

“Yes. I think so. But I’m still thirsty. My throat is so dry and sore...”

“Don’t worry. It will fade. I think maybe you were dreaming of your torture Anne. It sounded so awful. Did they torture you more?”

“Oh Grete, they hurt me so much! But I think I am getting confused. I can’t remember what happened first or where things happened. It might have been in Warêt or maybe they used the water when they took me to Namur. I’m not sure. I think I will have to tell you everything from the beginning, from when I went to the house of Christiane in Liège. So much happened Grete. But I’m tired now. Let me just hug you and you can carry on with your story. I’d like to hear some more Grete. Will you tell me?”

“Of course I will Anne. Here, come under my arm, put your head against me. Yes. Just like that. That’s better. Well, where had I got to?”

“You were just coming back to Tangermünde I think Grete.”

“Yes. Tangermünde... I remember now and he journey back home was so sad for me, with Valtin dead and buried. I thought my life was over. Going home wasn’t what I wanted at all. We had such happy times with the fair and I was already missing all my friends. Still, I thought to myself, with Valtin gone perhaps my mother-in-law and my father would welcome me home and treat me like their daughter again. I was even looking forward to seeing my sister once more, even though I knew she hated me”

“Why did they hate you so much Grete? I don’t understand why your sister would hate you? Did you have a brother too?”

“Yes, I did have a brother. A brother and a sister. But really they were half-brother and half-sister. My mother was a Spanish woman who came from Holland to Tangermünde and she was of the Catholic faith. That’s why I have my looks and dark hair and dark eyes, Anne. People looked at me and stared as I grew up. I was like a novelty in my town. But when my mother died my father remarried Trud and their daughter and son, he was called Gert, they hated me because of how I looked and because they wanted to inherit my father’s wealth. I knew this, but I couldn’t believe how cruel they could be to me. I did my best to make them like me, just a little. But the first thing I discovered when I returned was that my father was dead, these past years while I had been away. Now I was in despair”

“But didn’t you inherit something Grete? After all, you were his daughter and he was a rich man, you’ve told me that”.

“The first thing I did was to pledge myself to my half-brother and sister and to Trud. I said I would serve them and that would be my penance for running away from their home. But Gert rejected me and said it would be a shame on them to have their sister as a maid and that I was not repentant and I had always been proud and Spanish and I did not know the true meaning of shame. I cried and pulled my hair, for this was my home and I knew that I had no-one else and no-where else to go. But they let me stay there in the attic in a bed of straw, and I began to think what I could do. I decided that I should not let my inheritance be stolen by Gert and Trud and so I went to the Rathaus to make my claim. That was another mistake, Anne. The worst mistake I made I think.”

“What happened Grete?”

“The mayor, Peter Guntz was his name, he listened to my claim, but Gert spoke terribly against me. He said that I was the bastard child of the Spanish woman and that I had run high when lived before in Tangermünde then ran away with fire between my legs. That I had no morals and that I was not his true sister. The mayor seemed to be sympathetic to me but he said he had to side with Gert and that I should leave with nothing. I cursed my brother and the mayor and the town. I cursed them out loud. I was desperate. I wandered around the town with a cold heart. I sat on the walls and cried. I was alone in the world again. There was no place in my father’s house for me, I knew that, so that night I packed my few things and left. I wandered by the river and after a while I sat down under a tree on a hillside and looked back from where I had come. The sky glowed red over Tangermünde and I could see sparks flying around the tower of the Stefanskirche. The town was on fire! I just knew I had to get far away, and I ran until the dawn came up over the Elbe. I could still see the black smoke rising in the distance. I felt very afraid. I knew I could never go back to my home again.”

“Why? Did you think they would blame you for the fire?”

“They had to blame someone, I knew that. And they had heard me shout in my anger. I knew I had to go far away. But now I’m trembling Anne. I wish it had all been different. They hated me because I was not like them. I had my mother’s Spanish beauty and that was my curse Anne. And you had your beauty too. Was that a curse for you? Come, I want you to tell me more about yourself Anne.”

“Oh Grete, I’m not sure I can. The more I try to remember the worse I feel. And I’m getting confused. I don’t know why Grete, but it was such a confusing time for me before all the pain began. It was exciting, I know that. And people seemed to like me , or I thought they did; and I felt good and not just like a nobody, at least some of the time. But it was all so confusing.”

“Do try Anne. I so want to know what happened to you. Come on, try, I know you can. And I know you’ll feel so much better and so much happier when you’ve told me everything. It’s really best to tell me everything Anne, really it is. I know it is Anne, because I.... well.... I just know. So come on, tell me what happened, please.... Come on, carry on.”

“I’ll try Grete. I suppose I should tell you more about my time with Christiane. First of all I just worked in the shop, sorting the old things and finding the ones we could mend and sell on, and the bottles and special potions that she made in the room at the back. But every day Christiane grew closer and closer and one night, when I was sleeping, she came to me and pulled away the cover and lay with me on the straw mattress. It was that night that Christiane introduced me to sexual pleasure. And every night after that she would come to me and we would roll in the dark and let our bodies entwine and our limbs and lips meet as we discovered those damp and warm places that bring us so alive, that burn up our souls. And every day I would wait and look at her with her dark eyes and dim hair and her beauty and know that, for the first time, someone wanted me and that I was somehow whole.

It was a wonderful time, and Christiane brought me to know her brother-in-law, Laurent and together we went to the place in the woods outside the city where I met “l’homme noir” and gave my body to him and to all those others who wanted me and many did. At last I thought, I am alive and desired! And those nights we would dance naked around the sparking logs on the fire and call on the Devil to come to us. I couldn’t believe any of it really Grete, no more than I could believe in the end that Marie was the saint who had been sent to save me. But we plunged from one debauchery to another and I hoped that through the Devil I might find God. Those nights Grete! The sky covered in flitting clouds and the moon slanting through the branches as un-named hands would take me and slide up and down my naked body, over my breasts, rubbing me with the magic oils, until I became hard and shook and then I was taken, first by one, then by another. One in a coat of sheep skin, one with the horns of the goat, one with the tail of the Beast. They carried me to the sacred stone and layed me down and covered me with the ferns of the forest and opened me with their mouths and all the while Christiane would moan and bury her face into me and Laurent and his friends would drink the reddest wine and mutter their spells and throw the magic powder on the fire until it grew red and gold and the face of the Satan appeared before us.

And so, after a time, I entered into the Coven of the Sabbath and became the slave of Laurent and invoked the evil ones through my own spells and ointments. But, deep down Grete, I knew it was false. I had seen Laurent talking with the one who was the goat and paying him and I knew he had no respect for Christiane and that even if he was trying to believe he struggled just as I did. But he did not care for me in the end, and I knew that I was still just as alone as I had ever been and that I was still just the nobody girl from Warrêt who no-one really saw or could be bothered to understand or care for. But at least I found some comfort and every night I clung close to Christiane when we slept, her breasts pressed close to my own, our fingers in each others hair, our legs embracing in the cold."

“Oh Grete, I’m not sure I can. The more I try to remember the worse I feel. And I’m getting confused. I don’t know why Grete, but it was such a confusing time for me before all the pain began. It was exciting, I know that. And people seemed to like me , or I thought they did; and I felt good and not just like a nobody, at least some of the time. But it was all so confusing.”

“Do try Anne. I so want to know what happened to you. Come on, try, I know you can. And I know you’ll feel so much better and so much happier when you’ve told me everything. It’s really best to tell me everything Anne, really it is. I know it is Anne, because I.... well.... I just know. So come on, tell me what happened, please.... Come on, carry on.”

“I’ll try Grete. I suppose I should tell you more about my time with Christiane. First of all I just worked in the shop, sorting the old things and finding the ones we could mend and sell on, and the bottles and special potions that she made in the room at the back. But every day Christiane grew closer and closer and one night, when I was sleeping, she came to me and pulled away the cover and lay with me on the straw mattress. It was that night that Christiane introduced me to sexual pleasure. And every night after that she would come to me and we would roll in the dark and let our bodies entwine and our limbs and lips meet as we discovered those damp and warm places that bring us so alive, that burn up our souls. And every day I would wait and look at her with her dark eyes and dim hair and her beauty and know that, for the first time, someone wanted me and that I was somehow whole.

It was a wonderful time, and Christiane brought me to know her brother-in-law, Laurent and together we went to the place in the woods outside the city where I met “l’homme noir” and gave my body to him and to all those others who wanted me and many did. At last I thought, I am alive and desired! And those nights we would dance naked around the sparking logs on the fire and call on the Devil to come to us. I couldn’t believe any of it really Grete, no more than I could believe in the end that Marie was the saint who had been sent to save me. But we plunged from one debauchery to another and I hoped that through the Devil I might find God. Those nights Grete! The sky covered in flitting clouds and the moon slanting through the branches as un-named hands would take me and slide up and down my naked body, over my breasts, rubbing me with the magic oils, until I became hard and shook and then I was taken, first by one, then by another. One in a coat of sheep skin, one with the horns of the goat, one with the tail of the Beast. They carried me to the sacred stone and layed me down and covered me with the ferns of the forest and opened me with their mouths and all the while Christiane would moan and bury her face into me and Laurent and his friends would drink the reddest wine and mutter their spells and throw the magic powder on the fire until it grew red and gold and the face of the Satan appeared before us.

And so, after a time, I entered into the Coven of the Sabbath and became the slave of Laurent and invoked the evil ones through my own spells and ointments. But, deep down Grete, I knew it was false. I had seen Laurent talking with the one who was the goat and paying him and I knew he had no respect for Christiane and that even if he was trying to believe he struggled just as I did. But he did not care for me in the end, and I knew that I was still just as alone as I had ever been and that I was still just the nobody girl from Warrêt who no-one really saw or could be bothered to understand or care for. But at least I found some comfort and every night I clung close to Christiane when we slept, her breasts pressed close to my own, our fingers in each others hair, our legs embracing in the cold."

Anne in the sky with demons!

1.gif

Top-Cat

“Anne, tell me, what was it like to lie with Christiane? She was beautiful was she? I imagine her to be, with her dark hair and eyes. Did she look at all like me, Anne?”

“A little. It was warm and a comfort with her and she taught me many things. But I think Grete that you are more lovely. Let me touch you on your face again. There. I like to touch your face. I like it when I feel the softness of your mouth against my finger and the tip of your nose. Can I….?”

“Of course you can and I’ll touch you too, just the same. We have forever to touch each other Anne. But carry on with your story. It’s so interesting for me.”

“Oh it’s not so interesting really Grete. It just goes on for a long time. And it’s not a happy story, but I suppose neither of us have happy stories to tell. Come on, it’s your turn now. I want to rest for a while and listen.”

“Well, I suppose so. But my story’s almost coming to an end Anne. I want to save that part. Where was I? I can’t recall where I had got to. Remind me Anne.”

“You were running away. And your town was all on fire.”

“Ah yes. The night of the fire. I sat for a long time and watched the sparks and the blaze and even the next day, when I wandered along the river beach, I could see the smoke in the distance. It was frightening; I was on my own now and I had nothing but the clothes I stood in. No money, no friends. I didn’t know what would become of me. I walked along the river for a long time until I came to a ferry. The ferryman was kind to me, sort of. He took me to the other side, where the huge forest was, without me paying. But I had to pay in a way. He didn’t ask much, just to open my blouse and squeeze my breasts. He seemed to be happy with that and a little kiss. Once I was over the river I felt more safe. I followed the tracks to a small town called Jerichow. It was just a few houses and a church and a mill. No-one knew me there. I just wandered around and after a while a few villagers came by and spoke to me. They smiled at me and I smiled back and soon I’d agreed to go with one to a barn. He pulled off my clothes and it was all done quite quickly and I had some money. It wasn’t so hard I thought. I can’t say I liked it, and he was fat and smelled of beer, but at least I could eat. I slept that night in another barn and the next day I made some more money the same way, but then I had to move on to another place before people became angry with me for being a wandering whore.

I walked on along the straight road to Redeken and there I found more men who would pay to lie a little while with me and one of them was a man called Tönnies…..Tönnies Meilahn. He gave me some extra money and took me to sleep at his cottage. It was a tiny, broken down place. But at least it was a roof and it was good to sleep there. Better than sheltering from the rain under a tree. He spoke kindly to me but he had his own purpose. He had no real job, but he made his money from stealing. He was nothing but a petty robber, but he saw a chance to use me to make his life easier I suppose. Well, I stayed with him and he found me men who would pay. They paid him and he gave me food and bought some new clothes. We grew to like each other a little. We would go from place to place on the east bank of the Elbe and on market days he would set us up and I would work from noon to night with his clients. I became down and low, but I had to live and he looked after me and he was almost like a husband I suppose.”

“But what happened Grete? You said your story was almost at and end… But… But what happened to bring you here then?”

“Nothing stays the same, does it? I knew it couldn’t. After all, I would not stay young for ever and I had no trade and nothing to my name and sometimes the men I lay with could be rough and maybe they would give me sickness. I knew it wouldn’t carry on. But it came to an end very fast. One day we went to a town called Miltern, on the west bank. It was close to Tangermünde but I didn’t really think much of it. It was two years since the fire now. I remember it well. It was a cold day with snow on the ground. Tönnies had a client for me, and he took me to his house. Then he went off. I knew he was going on one of his little robbing errands. But I didn’t know he was going into Tangermünde. I waited for him in the cold, by the steps of the church. But he never came. It grew dark and I curled into the porch of the church and tried to stay warm. He never came back. I only heard what happened later, when they came for me. They came for me the next day.”

“Who? Who came for you? What happened Grete?”

“No, let me pause there for a while and you tell me more about Christiane. Will you? Then I will tell you what happened to Tönnies and how it came that I am here with you.”

“Oh Grete! You’re leaving me hanging in suspense! How could you? Just at the vital moment! You! Well, I suppose I will have to wait. Hmmm. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing, after all, we have a lot of time to pass here, don’t we?”

“Longer than we could ever imagine Anne. Much longer and longer even than that. But there will be others who come to join us, Anne, and hopefully they will tell us their stories too. There’s a long queue Anne, and it never stops growing. So we will not always be alone. But enough of that. I will tell you the rest of my tale later. For now you should carry on.”

“So then, where had I got to?”

“You were in bed with your Christiane! You know you were!”

“Yes. Yes. I was. With Christiane. Yes, I remember her. Lying there with her. But like you and your time as a wandering whore, it was not supposed to last. We had done too much and our rites were too obvious to others. Laurent became to bold and would use his magic to open doors and steal and say it was the Devil’s work, but it wasn’t of course”.

“What magic was that, that could open doors Anne?”

“Oh… He would cut the hair from our private parts and grind it up and then make spells over it. And then he would take us out in the city at night and would blow the magic hair into locks and open them, and then we would enter the houses and take the precious things he ordered us to remove. And then I think he would sell them to pay for the things he did. At first I wanted to believe him, that it was real. But in the end I knew it wasn’t.

The sharks were circling, as they say. I could tell that Laurent and Christiane were frightened. Too many people knew of their games, and of course I was a part of their game too. And so it happened. They were denounced and we were all arrested and taken into the prison of Liège. They put us into separate cells in the dungeon. It was dark and cold and they stripped me of my clothes and placed me in iron chains. But that was all. I know that they tortured Christiane and Laurent terribly with ropes and fire and in the end they confessed that they were witches and that they called on the Devil and did his bidding. But I did not see them again. They were taken and burned in the city square. The gaoler told me all this in much detail, how Christiane suffered and cried out in her agony as they hung her by her hands. How they tightened the ropes on her limbs until the blood squirted from her. How they placed the hot coals onto her breasts and her belly. And they told me about her burning too. They did this to frighten me of course.”

“But what happened to you Anne? Did you escape?”

“Only in a way. They brought me before the judge and he said I was nothing but a stupid child who had been led astray by the witches. He said I was too weak-willed to know what I was doing and that I should not suffer the tortures or death. Instead I was to be banished from the city. Just like you had to leave Tangermünde, I had to leave Liège, also with nothing but the torn clothes they returned to me. With no money and no friends. Despised by anyone who looked at me, a poor beggar girl. A nobody. I didn’t know where to go or what to do, so I went to the only place I knew, back to Warêt.”

“Oh Grete! You’re leaving me hanging in suspense! How could you? Just at the vital moment! You! Well, I suppose I will have to wait. Hmmm. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing, after all, we have a lot of time to pass here, don’t we?”

“Longer than we could ever imagine Anne. Much longer and longer even than that. But there will be others who come to join us, Anne, and hopefully they will tell us their stories too. There’s a long queue Anne, and it never stops growing. So we will not always be alone. But enough of that. I will tell you the rest of my tale later. For now you should carry on.”

“So then, where had I got to?”

“You were in bed with your Christiane! You know you were!”

“Yes. Yes. I was. With Christiane. Yes, I remember her. Lying there with her. But like you and your time as a wandering whore, it was not supposed to last. We had done too much and our rites were too obvious to others. Laurent became to bold and would use his magic to open doors and steal and say it was the Devil’s work, but it wasn’t of course”.

“What magic was that, that could open doors Anne?”

“Oh… He would cut the hair from our private parts and grind it up and then make spells over it. And then he would take us out in the city at night and would blow the magic hair into locks and open them, and then we would enter the houses and take the precious things he ordered us to remove. And then I think he would sell them to pay for the things he did. At first I wanted to believe him, that it was real. But in the end I knew it wasn’t.

The sharks were circling, as they say. I could tell that Laurent and Christiane were frightened. Too many people knew of their games, and of course I was a part writing PKof their game too. And so it happened. They were denounced and we were all arrested and taken into the prison of Liège. They put us into separate cells in the dungeon. It was dark and cold and they stripped me of my clothes and placed me in iron chains. But that was all. I know that they tortured Christiane and Laurent terribly with ropes and fire and in the end they confessed that they were witches and that they called on the Devil and did his bidding. But I did not see them again. They were taken and burned in the city square. The gaoler told me all this in much detail, how Christiane suffered and cried out in her agony as they hung her by her hands. How they tightened the ropes on her limbs until the blood squirted from her. How they placed the hot coals onto her breasts and her belly. And they told me about her burning too. They did this to frighten me of course.”

“But what happened to you Anne? Did you escape?”

“Only in a way. They brought me before the judge and he said I was nothing but a stupid child who had been led astray by the witches. He said I was too weak-willed to know what I was doing and that I should not suffer the tortures or death. Instead I was to be banished from the city. Just like you had to leave Tangermünde, I had to leave Liège, also with nothing but the torn clothes they returned to me. With no money and no friends. Despised by anyone who looked at me, a poor beggar girl. A nobody. I didn’t know where to go or what to do, so I went to the only place I knew, back to Warêt.”

devilishly good writing PK :)

Back
Top Bottom