Happy St Patricks Day

Go to CruxDreams.com
I 'am coming from Germany and I don't know the St. Patricks Day. I think it is a celebration day for a saint. Who was St. Patrick.?
Saint Patrick (Latin: Patricius; Irish: Pádraig [ˈpˠaːd̪ˠɾˠəɟ], Old Irish: Cothraige) was a fifth-century Romano-BritishChristian missionary and bishop in Ireland. Known as the "Apostle of Ireland", he is the primary patron saint of Ireland, along with saints Brigit of Kildare and Columba. He is also venerated in the Anglican Communion, the Old Catholic Church and in the Eastern Orthodox Church as equal-to-apostles and the Enlightener of Ireland.[2]

The dates of Patrick's life cannot be fixed with certainty but, on a widespread interpretation, he was active as a missionary in Ireland during the second half of the fifth century.[3] Early medieval tradition credits him with being the first bishop of Armagh, Primate of Ireland.

According to the Confessio of Patrick, when he was about 16, he was captured by Irish pirates from his home in Great Britain, and taken as a slave to Ireland, looking after animals, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After becoming a cleric, he returned to northern and western Ireland. In later life, he served as a bishop, but little is known about the places where he worked. By the seventh century, he had already come to be revered as the patron saint of Ireland.

Saint Patrick's Day is observed on 17 March, which is said to be the date of his death.[4] It is celebrated inside and outside Ireland as a religious and cultural holiday. In the dioceses of Ireland, it is both a solemnity and a holy day of obligation; it is also a celebration of Ireland itself.
more here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick

Who was St. Patrick.?
(okay, Admi's upstaged me with Wiki, I was writing this from my head, may as well leave it ;))

The Apostle of Ireland. He was born somewhere in Britain (there are endless theories as to where),
he was captured by slavers as a boy and taken to Ireland where he worked as farm labourer.
Eventually he escaped, and made his way back to Britain, and thence to the Continent,
where he became a priest then had a calling to return to Ireland
and preach the Gospel. This we know from his own writing, the Confession. He also wrote
a letter which survives, to a British ruler (possibly one ruling from Dumbarton, on the Clyde)
complaining that this supposedly Christian king's men were raiding Ireland
and carrying off young nuns to sell as slaves to pagan Picts.
On top of that, there are mountains of legend.
There were other, probably equally significant, early Christian figures in Ireland, but Patrick's cathedral in Armagh
became the metropolitan cathedral of all Ireland, so he became its patron saint.
His feast-day is celebrated in good style in Ireland, but in truth most of its modern-day performances come from the Irish community in the USA.

Last edited:
I like the Eulaliapedia version.
Also, he is credited with ridding Ireland of all its snakes,
which must be true, because there are now no snakes in Ireland.
Apart from in zoos. And in terraria in weird teenagers' bedrooms.
And there could be a few stuffed ones, here and there.
Snakes I mean, not teenagers.
Although who knows.
This is Saint Patrick deporting some snakes:
saintpatrick.jpg

I 'am coming from Germany and I don't know the St. Patricks Day. I think it is a celebration day for a saint. Who was St. Patrick.?
Following amazing detail from Eul, Monte and dear Admi I only need say he gets us all a Festival Day each year on this day when we take off work or school and have the craic. Craic is fun, not a controlled substance but every year is full of music, dance and festivity.
This year is even more special as we celebrate 100 years since the last revolution against British Rule, called The Irish Rising. On a personal note it will always be special to me now as being around the time i finally am given a positive prognosis after some months in a cancer ward.
Xxx Tash The Optimistic!!!! :):):)

Following amazing detail from Eul, Monte and dear Admi I only need say he gets us all a Festival Day each year on this day when we take off work or school and have the craic. Craic is fun, not a controlled substance but every year is full of music, dance and festivity.
This year is even more special as we celebrate 100 years since the last revolution against British Rule, called The Irish Rising. On a personal note it will always be special to me now as being around the time i finally am given a positive prognosis after some months in a cancer ward.
Xxx Tash The Optimistic!!!! :):):)
Long life Tash...long ,long life !!!!

(okay, Admi's upstaged me with Wiki, I was writing this from my head, may as well leave it ;))
His feast-day is celebrated in good style in Ireland, but in truth most of its modern-day performances come from the Irish community in the USA.

That's very true Eulalia, when my GF and I visited some friends in Dublin a few years back, we chose the St Pat's weekend, quite by chance (lucky chance).
It was noticeable how many marching bands came from Delaware and similar Stateside places.
PS are you sure there are no stuffed teenagers in Ireland?

Saint Patrick (Latin: Patricius; Irish: Pádraig [ˈpˠaːd̪ˠɾˠəɟ], Old Irish: Cothraige) was a fifth-century Romano-BritishChristian missionary and bishop in Ireland. Known as the "Apostle of Ireland", he is the primary patron saint of Ireland, along with saints Brigit of Kildare and Columba. He is also venerated in the Anglican Communion, the Old Catholic Church and in the Eastern Orthodox Church as equal-to-apostles and the Enlightener of Ireland.[2]

The dates of Patrick's life cannot be fixed with certainty but, on a widespread interpretation, he was active as a missionary in Ireland during the second half of the fifth century.[3] Early medieval tradition credits him with being the first bishop of Armagh, Primate of Ireland.

According to the Confessio of Patrick, when he was about 16, he was captured by Irish pirates from his home in Great Britain, and taken as a slave to Ireland, looking after animals, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After becoming a cleric, he returned to northern and western Ireland. In later life, he served as a bishop, but little is known about the places where he worked. By the seventh century, he had already come to be revered as the patron saint of Ireland.

Saint Patrick's Day is observed on 17 March, which is said to be the date of his death.[4] It is celebrated inside and outside Ireland as a religious and cultural holiday. In the dioceses of Ireland, it is both a solemnity and a holy day of obligation; it is also a celebration of Ireland itself.
more here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick
Thank you, Admihoek.

Back
Top Bottom