Helmut's Thread

Go to CruxDreams.com
foundHaley_Tim-Skull_False_Tooth.normal.jpg

Now how did you know I like dolphins???

I have two pictures that are a little like an old line drawing by Cobra. I remember that a poll accompanied her picture. It asked what the guy was saying. That picture is gone now, it was lost when the site went down two years ago. Maybe, if we are lucky, she'll post it here and we could redo the poll.
The third picture is the lead in for my new series on the galley trip Apostate and I took across the Atlantic this summer. We drank lots of beer and watched the girls row. I intend to call the series "The Goddess and the Slave Girl" for our own Connie and Eulilia.
Enjoy,
Helmut
female bowsprit

Attachments

• proue.jpeg
    proue.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 342
Most people do. Eulalia actually knows someone who did that, and she thought it was fun even though she wasn't tied/shackled on.
Helmut
That's true - we were on a 60' cutter sailing off the west of Scotland. My (brave and gymnastic) friend balanced on the bob-stay, a cable that links the tip of the bowsprit down to the keel, holding on to two more ropes that run from the bowsprit back to the gunwale, so she was in 'crucifix' position, just above the water, with dolphins jumping around her legs! Not tied or shackled, and clothes on, but an amazing adventure!

Yes ...I'm like Hypazia a woman patron of the Alexandria's library ..lynched by the fanatics in the year 415 AC
« ὅταν βλέπω σε, προσκυνῶ, καὶ τους λόγους.
τῆς παρθένου τὸν οἶκον ἀστρῷον βλέπων
εἰς οὐρανὸν γάρ ἐστι σοῦ τὰ πράγματα,
Yπατία σεμνή, τῶν λόγων εὐμορφία,
ἄχραντον ἄστρον τῆς σοφῆς παιδεύσεως. »
And, in those days, there appeared in Alexandria a female philosopher, a pagan named Hypatia, and she was devoted at all times to magic, astrolabes, and instruments of music, and she beguiled many people through Satanic wiles . . . A multitude of believers in God arose under the guidance of Peter the Magistrate . . . and they proceeded to seek for the pagan woman who had beguiled the people of the city and the Prefect through her enchantments. And when they learnt the place where she was, they proceeded to her and found her . . . they dragged her along till they brought her to the great church, named Caesareum. Now this was in the days of the fast. And they tore off her clothing and dragged her . . . through the streets of the city till she died. And they carried her to a place named Cinaron, and they burned her body with fire.John of Nikiû (7th century)

Attachments

• 365px-Hypatia_(Charles_William_Mitchell).jpg
    365px-Hypatia_(Charles_William_Mitchell).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 319
'[St. Cyril, Bishop of Alexandria] soon prompted, or accepted, the sacrifice of a virgin ... Hypatia, the daughter of Theon the mathematician, was intiated in her father's studies ... she publicly taught ... the philosophy of Plato and Aristotle. In the bloom of beauty, and in the maturity of wisdom, the modest maid refused her lovers and instructed her disciples; the persons most illustrious for their rank or merit were impatient to visit the female philosopher; and Cyril beheld with a jealous eye the gorgeous train of horses and slaves who crowded the door of her academy. ... On a fatal day, in the holy season of Lent, Hypatia was torn from her chariot, stripped naked, dragged to the church, and inhumanly butchered by the hands of Peter the Reader and a troop of savage and merciless fanatics: her flesh was scraped from her bones with sharp oyster-shells, and her quivering limbs were delivered to the flames' [footnote:] 'Oyster-shells were plentifully strewed on the sea-beach before the Caesareum...I am ignorant, and the assassins were probably regardless, whether their victim was yet alive.'
Edward Gibbon The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, ch. 47​
Eulalia humbly bows to her Master in English prose!​
In another version of her story, I believe she's said to have been stabbed to death with pens,​
a unique form of martyrdom (any pics, Stephanie?)​
Hypatia's writings show she was a seriously good mathematician,​
and she's certainly the patroness of Melissa and Julie and all maths mistresses!​

Yes ...I'm like Hypazia a woman patron of the Alexandria's library ..lynched by the fanatics in the year 415 AC
« ὅταν βλέπω σε, προσκυνῶ, καὶ τους λόγους.
τῆς παρθένου τὸν οἶκον ἀστρῷον βλέπων
εἰς οὐρανὸν γάρ ἐστι σοῦ τὰ πράγματα,
Yπατία σεμνή, τῶν λόγων εὐμορφία,
ἄχραντον ἄστρον τῆς σοφῆς παιδεύσεως. »
And, in those days, there appeared in Alexandria a female philosopher, a pagan named Hypatia, and she was devoted at all times to magic, astrolabes, and instruments of music, and she beguiled many people through Satanic wiles . . . A multitude of believers in God arose under the guidance of Peter the Magistrate . . . and they proceeded to seek for the pagan woman who had beguiled the people of the city and the Prefect through her enchantments. And when they learnt the place where she was, they proceeded to her and found her . . . they dragged her along till they brought her to the great church, named Caesareum. Now this was in the days of the fast. And they tore off her clothing and dragged her . . . through the streets of the city till she died. And they carried her to a place named Cinaron, and they burned her body with fire.John of Nikiû (7th century)
I'm familiar with this story and while Hypatia of Alexandria was not a Christian she was a highly respected... educator and scientist of Egyptian-Greek decent I believe. Christianity needs to be ashamed of what they did to her and education in general. Turning the Great Library of Alexandria into a church could be likened to making a pig farm of the Louvre or a red light district of the Vatican.
Helmut

wrong example .................abusing ????????????
I think you meant Helmut's example (turning the Vatican into a red-light district) is wrong, not the Bernini?​
Sadly the Church has plenty to be ashamed of, in ancient times and recently.​

Back
Top Bottom