House Rules Or The Taming Of The Shrews

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
T

The Fallen Angel

HOUSE RULES

A while ago we started Whipping Sunday which was an account of how parents dealt with stroppy teenage daughters in Medieval times and began with a few pics. Eulalia wrote a brilliant short story of how the custom would be carried on today. So..that leaves us with the question of how parents would have dealt with troublesome offspring in Roman times. Picture the scene. Augusta Pompilius is in her forties, married to a wealthy and very much hen pecked husband who knows his place in the household which is basically to do Augusta's bidding and keep her bank balance healthy. They had two sons who dutifully sought careers in the army leaving the two daughters Valentina and younger sister Junia who would spend hours in the bathroom, sulk for no reason at all, blame their parents for everything, complain about never being understood, have a thoroughly miserable time on family holidays, embarrass their parents when visitors arrived, demand all the latest clothes, eat all the food in the house, never volunteer for household chores…………
House Rules.jpg
For parents who could afford it the answer was a Whip Master with a speciality for the training of slaves and discipline of daughters. Augusta had hired just such a person.

Augusta: “It's no use complaining or making promises now young lady!!..we've heard them all before. If I've told you once about keeping your rooms tidy then I've told you a deciec centena milia times!! And do you take any notice of me! Or your poor father who works his fingers to the bone while you two spend half your lives in bed!! Of course not!! You are too busy dreaming or scribing to your latest boyfriend who does nothing but ride around in his latest chariot all day!! You should be setting a good example to your younger sister..not leading her astray. Do you know how much it costs to have a Whip Master call round? Well I can tell you that it will be stopped out of your pocket money…...”

Augusta went on and on, reading her daughter a list of House Rules which must be followed to the letter unless she wanted another whipping.

Lucius (The Letch) Lepidus had just finished with Junia and left her to hang in the morning sun while he eyed Valentina. He especially liked the look of her nipples which responded to the cool breeze. His prices were very competitive. A second daughter whipped for half price and a third for free. His prices were lower still if parents booked monthly visits for a minimum of six months. Augusta had taken advantage of these rates and booked both daughters in for the first Sunday of each month. In such circumstances Lucius would give pretty young things a very painful lesson. When he unshackled them he would whisper his address. If they called secretly to his house before the next appointment then he use a special whip the next time. This would make a lot of noise and leave realistic looking whip marks causing a minimum of pain. In return he would think of some way that they could give him some pleasure.

I'm sure somebody out there can do better than this!!!

spend hours in the bathroom, sulk for no reason at all, blame their parents for everything, complain about never being understood, have a thoroughly miserable time on family holidays, embarrass their parents when visitors arrived, demand all the latest clothes, eat all the food in the house, never volunteer for household chores…………
and they spend all their time peering at those new-fangled wax tablets,
you can't get their attention if you bawl at them till you're hoarse! :p

HOUSE RULES

A while ago we started Whipping Sunday which was an account of how parents dealt with stroppy teenage daughters in Medieval times and began with a few pics. Eulalia wrote a brilliant short story of how the custom would be carried on today. So..that leaves us with the question of how parents would have dealt with troublesome offspring in Roman times. Picture the scene. Augusta Pompilius is in her forties, married to a wealthy and very much hen pecked husband who knows his place in the household which is basically to do Augusta's bidding and keep her bank balance healthy. They had two sons who dutifully sought careers in the army leaving the two daughters Valentina and younger sister Junia who would spend hours in the bathroom, sulk for no reason at all, blame their parents for everything, complain about never being understood, have a thoroughly miserable time on family holidays, embarrass their parents when visitors arrived, demand all the latest clothes, eat all the food in the house, never volunteer for household chores…………
View attachment 242157
For parents who could afford it the answer was a Whip Master with a speciality for the training of slaves and discipline of daughters. Augusta had hired just such a person.

Augusta: “It's no use complaining or making promises now young lady!!..we've heard them all before. If I've told you once about keeping your rooms tidy then I've told you a deciec centena milia times!! And do you take any notice of me! Or your poor father who works his fingers to the bone while you two spend half your lives in bed!! Of course not!! You are too busy dreaming or scribing to your latest boyfriend who does nothing but ride around in his latest chariot all day!! You should be setting a good example to your younger sister..not leading her astray. Do you know how much it costs to have a Whip Master call round? Well I can tell you that it will be stopped out of your pocket money…...”

Augusta went on and on, reading her daughter a list of House Rules which must be followed to the letter unless she wanted another whipping.

Lucius (The Letch) Lepidus had just finished with Junia and left her to hang in the morning sun while he eyed Valentina. He especially liked the look of her nipples which responded to the cool breeze. His prices were very competitive. A second daughter whipped for half price and a third for free. His prices were lower still if parents booked monthly visits for a minimum of six months. Augusta had taken advantage of these rates and booked both daughters in for the first Sunday of each month. In such circumstances Lucius would give pretty young things a very painful lesson. When he unshackled them he would whisper his address. If they called secretly to his house before the next appointment then he use a special whip the next time. This would make a lot of noise and leave realistic looking whip marks causing a minimum of pain. In return he would think of some way that they could give him some pleasure.

I'm sure somebody out there can do better than this!!!

Nope, I think you have already worked this one to perfection;)....lovely manip and great writing!!!!!!! :clapping:

I like the premise. I recall Alexei Sayle advocating taking the kids to the local hangman, but for more minor infractions, there's nothing like a good naked flogging in the fresh air. :devil:
I don't have much in the line of Roman times but as Jollyrei points out a visit to the hangman was quite effective in the late 1600's and early 1700's. The rebellious daughter would be placed on a stool next to a condemned prisoner, another young wench in this case. The condemned wench had been stripped and noosed and the stool was kicked away. The young daughter would watch the wench thrash as she slowly strangled while the crowd demanded the troublesome daughter called for her hanging.

The hangman teased the crowd by grabbing her blouse and exposing a breast. She stood humiliated on the stool The condemned wench would finally stop trashing and hanged limp from her noose.

hang 190.jpg

The rebellious daughter stood for an hour on the stool with the coarse noose reminding her it was waiting to do the same to her neck. The crowd milled about the dead wench and the rebellious daughter. She knew many of off them.

hang 183.jpg

After an hour the hangman took her down and pulled the blouse up to cover her nipple but left her wrists bound behind her back. He told her to walk home and promise her parents she would behave and if she did not obey next time she would be hanged and some other girl could watch her strangle....

Tree

Attachments

• hang 58 a.jpg
    hang 58 a.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 176
Here's a scenario, I'm not sure whether I'll turn it into a full story, but let's test it out -

At his wife’s stern bidding, Pompilius has his daughters brought to his study by the housekeeper Melissa. There he informs them that the time has come for certain decisions to be taken…

“Your mother and I are considering a marriage arrangement for you, Valentina –“ “Who with?” “With Gormulus Iobbus, son of Sepsis Blattus, the barbarian who now owns and runs the Colosseum.” Valentina is of course gob-smacked, “You know perfectly well, Father, if that Gormulus has any brains at all they’re in his bollocks –“ “Language!” snaps Augusta, but Valentina goes on, “He’s smashed his dad’s best chariot three times, he’s got at least sixteen girls pregnant…” “Yes, and I understand he has some deplorable habits that we’d rather not hear about. Nevertheless, such a marriage is well worth our consideration, bearing in mind the unfortunate situation regarding my stock of bullion in a bank in Athens. As to you, Junia, we have been talking to the Virgin Superior at the Temple of Vesta, she would be willing – for a suitable fee – to admit you to that prestigious academy as a novice.”

The two girls are dumbstruck, seething. Their mother takes up the leading role. “You don’t have to decide now, we’ll give you time to think about these opportunities. Two weeks.” The daughters glare at her, Valentina’s biting her lip, as her mother continues, “But during those two weeks, we’ve planned some work experience for you which might help focus your minds. With the co-operation of Melissa and the help of Lepidus the Whip-Master, you will spend your time as slaves in our household, learning a little of how the world really lives!”

And so the two young ladies are taken off to find out what it’s like to be bought and branded, made to live in a stinking, rat-infested dungeon, scrap with other slaves for mouldy crusts and vile soup, forced to get up in the pitch dark and do a long day’s work before the family are even awake, flogged because they don’t work hard or fast enough, being interrogated under torture to confess to all their many faults – and some they haven’t committed but had better confess to – and finally being punished by hanging naked roped to crosses in the slaves’ yard from dawn to dusk….

By the end, Valentina is a sadder and a wiser woman, but her kid sister – who turns out to be a bit of a tomboy – has found she actually rather enjoys life as a slavegirl, and would much rather go on being one than train for a career as a Vestal Virgin!

Last edited:
Here's a scenario, I'm not sure whether I'll turn it into a full story, but let's test it out -

At his wife’s stern bidding, Pompilius has his daughters brought to his study by the housekeeper Melissa. There he informs them that the time has come for certain decisions to be taken…

“Your mother and I are considering a marriage arrangement for you, Valentina –“ “Who with?” “With Gormulus Iobbus, son of Sepsis Blattus, the barbarian who now owns and runs the Colosseum.” Valentina is of course gob-smacked, “You kow perfectly well, Father, if that Gormulus has any brains at all they’re in his bollocks –“ “Language!” snaps Augusta, but Valentina goes on, “He’s smashed his dad’s best chariot three times, he’s got at least sixteen girls pregnanant…” “Yes, and I understand he has some deplorable habits that we’d rather not hear about. Nevertheless, such a marriage is well worth our consideration, bearing in mind the unfortunate situation regarding my stock of bullion in a bank in Athens. As to you, Junia, we have been talking to the Virgin Superior at the Temple of Vesta, she would be willing – for a suitable fee – to admit you to that prestigious academy as a novice.”

The two girls are dumbstruck, seething. Their mother takes up the leading role. “You don’t have to decide now, we’ll give you time to think about these opportunities. Two weeks.” The daughters glare at her, Valentina’s biting her lip, as her mother continues, “But during those two weeks, we’ve planned some work experience for you which might help focus your minds. With the co-operation of Melissa and the help of Lepidus the Whip-Master, you will spend your time as slaves in our household, learning a little of how the world really lives!”

And so the two young ladies are taken off to find out what it’s like to be bought and branded, made to live in a stinking, rat-infested dungeon, scrap with other slaves for mouldy crusts and vile soup, forced to get up in the pitch dark and do a long day’s work before the family are even awake, flogged because they don’t work hard or fast enough, being interrogated under torture to confess to all their many faults – and some they haven’t committed but had better confess to – and finally being punished by hanging naked roped to crosses in the slaves’ yard from dawn to dusk….

By the end, Valentina is a sadder and a wiser woman, but her kid sister – who turns out to be a bit of a tomboy – has found she actually rather enjoys life as a slavegirl, and would much rather go on being one than follow a career as a Vestal Virgin!

The training part in a rat-infested dungeon has real possibilities ... don't think I would fancy a career as as Vestal Virgin though... that couldn't be much fun. :rolleyes:

The training part in a rat-infested dungeon has real possibilities ... don't think I would fancy a career as as Vestal Virgin though... that couldn't be much fun. :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate the fun that a gaggle of girls can have with each other,
you know the old saying about a fish and a bicycle! :p

Don't underestimate the fun that a gaggle of girls can have with each other,
you know the old saying about a fish and a bicycle! :p
Pp prefers not to think about that analogy at all. :(He really does not want to be made redundant as far as girls are concerned. Work perhaps but not girls.:D

Back
Top Bottom