Imprisonment and Execution in Modern Singapore Part III of Barb's Singapore Saga

Go to CruxDreams.com
A lot of ground to cover today

Lima Puluh Empat

Punishment Room? Changi Prison, Wednesday, 10:01 AM
“The Commandant says you can come down from your Perch. You’ve more work to do.”

Barbara let out a faint cry of relief. In her cramped position, she could barely breathe.
“OK, You two hold her up, I’ll slip the bar out,” Imran instructed the others. Barbara felt four hands underneath lift her to take the weight off the bar. She almost sobbed with relief at the thought.
But when they did lift her, straightening her back and allowing her to breathe, sho almost immediately let out a long high intense wail of pain.
“Ah, yes, Miss Moore,” chuckled Imran as he slid the bar out, and the guards gently laid the woman on the floor. “Now that the pressure is relieved and the blood flows, your muscles and joints can hurt more. We’ll just let you scream a while.”

Chief Inspector’s Office, Parliamentary Guards Headquarters, 11:00 AM
A rather attractive and very shapely, and young female orderly poured out coffee for Frost and bin Ibrahim in the Chief Inspector’s office. Frost noticed and appreciated the shape inside her tight, uniform skirt as she bent over the desk. OK, Dickie Bird, he said to himself. You’ve proved you can still like it. Now back to work.
“Thank you, Sonya,” said Musa, adding a generous pour of heavy cream into his coffee. “I’ll buzz if I need you.” The orderly left. “She’s a gem,” he said appreciatively.

“So. We have a bit of a puzzle here,” Musa said, turning to Frost.
“Yes. Let’s see if we can untangle any of it. One question at a time.”
“Fine. Will you ask first? The Chief Inspector had grown to respect Frost’s wisdom and experience.
“Rape.” Said Frost. “Did Rogers rape Miss Jones?”
“Undoubtedly. Forensic, eyewitness, her binding, her screams. An easy call and conviction. However, he is dead. The Parliamentary Court can enter a judgment of rape. A judgment gives the victim, Miss Jones, a basis to sue the estate and official proof that it was not voluntary.”
“Good,” said Frost, with a note of satisfaction in his voice. “Did Jiang rape her?”
“He did not have actual intercourse, no penetration. Forensic and eyewitness accounts confirm that. He denies it, even under strong questioning.”
“What can he be convicted of?” asked Frost with a sigh. Both he and Musa would have loved to have convicted him of rape and seen him receive the 40 cane strokes and twenty-year sentence that came with it. But facts were facts.
“Quite a lot. Accessory to rape, attempted rape, aggravated assault and battery, and sexual assault.”
“Yes?” said Frost.
“I’d expect the Court to give him a substantial lashing and ten years at hard labor.”
“Well deserved,” said Frost. “There is no evidence of any other involved, so this wraps up our central case. What of your men who stood by and did nothing?”
“I’ve just heard from the Guard leadership. They will be dishonorably discharged from the Guard, and charged with felony depraved indifference. They’ll probably get off with a light caning. However, their careers in law enforcement and the military are over. Docked all pay and benefits. Not evil men really, just young and stupid and too easily intimidated.”
“I agree. Now let’s turn to the peripheral questions.”

Commandant’s Office, Changi Prison, Wednesday, 11:05 AM
Mamat bin Osman looked with curious interest at Barbara Moore. She was the most attractive and the most challenging inmate he had dealt with in a long while. Sitting on her haunches, still covered in sweat, her naked body exuded sexuality. Her long, beautiful hair, though damp and in disarray from the hood, framed her face perfectly. Her full, well-shaped breasts quivered as her chest rose and fell with her breath coming in gasps from the lingering pain. Her concave stomach and deep navel drew one's gaze down to her trimmed thatch above that tempting slit. With her arms cuffed behind and her legs widespread, she appeared the perfect slave, open and inviting use and abuse.
But look in her eyes, Mamat thought to himself, and you saw the other Barbara. Yes, right now, there was terror and pain. No woman could have come from a session on the Perch only an hour ago without those emotions.
But look closely in her eyes and her expression, he thought. You could see the quiet flames of anger and defiance, rebellion, and resistance.
After the three weeks of constant pain and humiliation that had been heaped on Barb, few prisoners could muster such inner strength of will. She was indeed a remarkable woman!
But, Mamat reminded himself, his job was not to admire Moore’s willpower. He had the task to crush it and break her. His “sponsors” wanted to see the girl dragged to her death with no shred of dignity or pride left. And he had the tools to accomplish that.

“Barbara Ann Moore,” the Commandant said in a sad voice, “You seem a very slow learner. But I warn you, if you disappoint me again with my friends, I will have the guards leave you on the Perch overnight. After that, you would never walk normally again!”

Chief Inspector’s Office, Parliamentary Guards Headquarters, 11:45 AM
“Peripheral questions? Such as your interest in connecting this crime with the Barbara Moore Case?”
“You’ve got it, darling. What are your thoughts?”
“From an unbiased investigator, though one with far less experience than you, it is a stretch. We start from the remarkably great coincidence that the same CNB officer whose testimony, which you believe was perjured, was crucial to convicting Moore, should be instrumental in preventing her lawyer’s brief from getting to the Court before the deadline. Add that Rogers was also the one who arranged for him and his partner to be at the scene on Monday.”
“All facts.”
“True. However, we now run up against a set of difficult facts on the way to proving anything. One, Rogers is dead, by completely natural causes. So we cannot question him. Two, his partner, who would gladly betray his dear mother under our interrogation, nevertheless denied ever hearing of Moore or of knowledge of any ulterior motive for being in the Square. Three, if Rogers was there to run into Jones, a very plausible alternative explanation is his lust for the girl. We know he’d become excited over her last Friday. Four, there is no hard documentary evidence in any of the papers we examined in their office to make a connection. And Five, I always look for the simplest explanation available. It was a chance meeting which, due to the lust and lawlessness of Rogers, deteriorated into assault and rape.”
“Well argued and well thought out, my friend. You will make a fine detective, someday.” Frost added the last with a friendly chuckle.
“Thank you. Those words mean a lot to me, coming from you.” Musa laughed along with his new friend.
“Deserved, don’t mention it! However, there is one item that keeps me from being satisfied with all this ‘Barbara Moore isn’t involved’ explanations.”
“I think I know what that is. Or rather isn’t.”
“You got it, dickie-bird. There are no files on Moore! Not a file, not a memo, not a scrap of paper!”

Commandant’s Office, Changi Prison, Wednesday, 11:50 AM
Barb cringed at the threat of overnight on the Parrot’s Perch. She could well believe that it could cripple her for life.
“I have a new assignment for you, Moore. One you know and are very good at. You will entertain the guards this afternoon.”
Barb sat without moving. He was right; she knew well what this was. Three hours on her back being continually fucked by horny corrections officers.
“This time will be slightly different, though…”
Shit! Different always seemed to mean worse here, Barb thought.
“To avoid jealousy, you can work the shift change, one-thirty to five-thirty PM. It will give you a chance to cover both shifts and serve twice the number as last time! That might be just enough to satisfy a nymphomaniac like you.”
Twice the number! She would be so sore. And why did he have to call her a nymphomaniac? Men loved to demean any woman who enjoyed sex by implying that she had an uncontrolled, sick desire. Why weren’t most of the drooling out-of-control randy men called names? It was so unfair!

“Did you hear me, Moore? Is that satisfactory for you?”
“Yes, Sir. Very satisfactory.”
“Imran, let her rest until then. With her joints all on fire, it will be a most uncomfortable experience. And tell the men, I want no visible marks. She’s to be caned publicly in just under forty-eight hours, and she’s must look good and fresh.”
“Certainly, Commandant. I’ll make sure the men know.”
“But no need to be over gentle, either.”
Imran smiled, “Of course, Sir.”
The guards led Barbara from the office and into the hall, crawling on all fours and crying with pain at every move.

Phone Call Rut Betar Gisber to Josephine Shanmugam, 11:55 AM
RBG: Have you spoken to your friend at the CNB?
JS: Yes, your Ladyship. He will move in the next few hours to tie up that loose end.
RGB: Good, after the Appeal Court rules, I want all these distractions to be over.
JS: They will be, I assure you.
RBG: That’s what you said about Hodges brief, and that just blossomed into another distraction.
JS: That was Rogers’ fault. The pig couldn’t keep his dick in his pants.
RBG: That is the kind of thing I trust you to anticipate and control, my dear. You are the one who chose the man and assured me he was trustworthy.
JS: I knew he could keep a secret and cover his tracks.
RGB: But not capable of, as you so delicately put it, keeping ‘his dick in his pants?’
JS: I am genuinely sorry, Mama.
RBG: Just watch those things in the future. We need to get those detective bulldogs off the scent.
JS: I will take care of that tomorrow, as we discussed.
RGB: Take care you do, girl. I have to go and prepare for court.

Chief Inspector’s Office, Parliamentary Guards Headquarters, 12:02 PM
“No Moore files,” said Musa with a chuckle. “Oh, no. You mean there’s no paperwork on Moore. Didn’t I say Rogers covered his tracks well!”
“Moore files? I should never have complimented you, you little prick!”
“All right. Your point is made. Here’s Rogers, getting an anonymous phone tip from an informant in the U.S. in the state of Minnesota that Miss Moore was coming to Singapore to engage in drug trafficking, He had Moore tailed for a couple of days by multiple agents. He had her things at the hotel searched, which found additional drugs. Simultaneously he was running an inmate informant in the jail, Rose. She reported that Moore was involved in a drug ring with operations both in and out of jail. And then he suspected Moore murdered Rose after she revealed herself to Moore. Have I forgotten anything?”
“No, that the gist of it,” said Frost, impressed at Musa’s immediate recall of the entire set of facts Frost had given him over a day earlier.
“And yet, there is not a scrap of paper at the CNB documenting any of this. Not even an expense voucher for hot dogs for the surveillance team?”
“Correct.”
“That will make it difficult to validate Jimmy’s testimony if Moore gets a new trial.”
“You know, darling. I love your way with understatement.”
“But why would Jimmy testify to all that, if he had no actual evidence?”
Frost pointed up with his index finger and looked to the ceiling.
“Higher-ups wanted it. And, they could offer him protection if anyone at CNB questioned where the files were.”
“Would have to be someone very high. With long red nails, but no fingerprints?” bin Ibrahin winked.
“Precisely. However, we also haven’t seen a scrap of evidence to point a finger. And darling Jimmy ain’t talking anymore.”
“You know what puzzles like this make me want to do, Frost?”
“What, Musa?”
“Eat. How about we go grab some lunch and chew the fat as the American’s say.”
“I said you’ve got the making of a fine detective,” said Frost, grabbing his herringbone fedora.

“True. However, we now run up against a set of difficult facts on the way to proving anything.

Absolutely. Musa is right. Rogers was only after sweet Amanda.

It was so unfair!

One of my favorite things to say ...

JS: That was Rogers’ fault. The pig couldn’t keep his dick in his pants.

No wait! FLASH! Rogers is the guilty connection after all ...

said Frost, grabbing his herringbone fedora.

That’s a nice touch!

“Imran, let her rest until then. With her joints all on fire, it will be a most uncomfortable experience. And tell the men, I want no visible marks. She’s to be caned publicly in just under forty-eight hours, and she’s must look good and fresh.”
“Certainly, Commandant. I’ll make sure the men know.”
“But no need to be over gentle, either.”
Imran smiled, “Of course, Sir.”
The guards led Barbara from the office and into the hall, crawling on all fours and crying with pain at every move.
A brave, defiant girl - beaten down, with almost no hope!:(
1548891400637 (1).png

While Barb goes through Hell being screwed by those guards,
Musa and Frost will go the nine yards.
Rogers framed Barb,but the plot starts much higher,
Musa and Frost know they are playing with fire.
Put out to pasture,and aged sixty-four,
Frost still thinks he can save poor Barbara Moore.

Lima Puluh Lima

The Adjournment Pub, Off Parliament Square, Wednesday 1:45 PM
The two detectives were finishing their lunch at The Adjournment Pub.

“So what more can we do to make a connection with Rogers and whoever directed him?” asked Musa.
“We? Is this part of your case anymore?” asked Frost
“Just say that I hate loose ends,” said the younger man.
“My thought is first to establish lies by Jimmy in court. Missing files might not support his testimony, but they don’t disprove it either. If we can prove some falsehoods, we might get somewhere.”
“And we do that, how?”
“Jimmy said they searched Moore’s things at her hotel. Let’s see what the hotel remembers,” suggested Frost
“Nice idea. This afternoon?”
“Why not.”
“That just leaves the other ‘peripheral’ matter.”
“Yes. And that isn't going to be as fun,” sighed Frost.

Cell 22 Death Row, Changi Prison, Wednesday 1:46 PM
Barbara struggled the rest of the morning and through lunch, trying to get comfortable. The muscles in her neck, back, arms, and legs and especially around her knees ached constantly, no matter what position she tried.
Before she could believe, the guards were back to take her to the exercise room. Crawling on all fours was torture. She got no sympathy, only truncheon blows for slowness.
Entering the room, she was astonished by how many men were there waiting.

Office of Presiding Judge of the State Courts, Wednesday, 1:55 PM
Rut Betar Gisber on phone:

“Yes, I have concerns…I also would like to see it go smoother…That was a definite shortcoming…People make mistakes, but, at this level, they should be rare and not as dangerous as this…You are correct…I agree completely…It will be settled in the next several days, by one means or another…Indeed anyone is expendable! My plans are already in motion.
I need to go to the Appeal Court. No. No problem, I know my judges. Barbara Moore will die!

The Adjournment Pub, Off Parliament Square, Wednesday 1:59 PM
“And that other matter isn't fun,” sighed Frost.
“Miss Jones’s drug possession? That is a problem, all right. On the one hand, sympathy for the horror she went through and suspicion of two dirty CNB agents framing her, argues that she should be presumed innocent.”
“My first instinct, most definitely,” nodded Frost with a frown. “But…” he trailed off.
“,,,but for two, no, for three items urging her guilt. First, Jiang, even under repeated ‘intense’ questioning, denied planting the drugs. You watched him. Do you think he was lying to protect a minor drug bust?”
“He wasn’t lying.”
“Second, when we questioned Miss Jones, we both sensed she wasn’t truthful when she denied they were hers.”
“We both independently came to that conclusion. Two pieces of strong evidence against Miss Jones. But even together, are they enough to convict someone?”
“They are certainly enough to cast doubt on her denial and her implicit claim that she was framed. Then we come to the third matter – solid forensic evidence. The cocaine bag in her purse had her fingerprints on it.”
“Undeniable, but maybe she touched it by mistake during the search.” Frost was losing hope, but played his role as a defense advocate.
“We know Jiang’s ‘standard drop bag’ of drugs, the one-ounce bag that CNB agents often carry, was still in his coat pocket when he was arrested. I’ve never heard of an agent carrying two bags, especially a two-ouncer.”
“So, the second bag is a potentially damning piece of evidence.”
“Especially with Miss Jones’s fingerprints on it.”
“Perhaps she touched it when Jiang produced it from her purse.”
“However, the unedited video shows she never touched it during the search. After the search, they cuffed her and began to strip and then rape her, she had no chance to touch it then.”
“Therefore, the only remaining conclusion is that her fingerprints came to be on it from before the search.”
“Yes. Plus, the bag contained a lower quality cocaine, mixed with amphetamines, as you’d expect an amateur would have. I must tell you, Inspector, any person with this amount of evidence against them, including the video, would be charged and convicted in an instant in Singapore. And most likely sentenced to hang.”
“I know,” said Frost in a very soft voice. There was a long silence.
“Here’s what I propose,” said the young detective. “We interview her again. This afternoon, before she leaves the hospital. See if we can get any more out of her. Possible something to exonerate her, though I doubt it."
"As do I," signed Frost.
"If it was her drugs, maybe we can find a way to enter a lesser charge. I’m sure I can get the Parliamentary Court to be merciful given her ordeal on our grounds.”
“Sounds like a plan.”
“However, I have to warn you. There is a major risk here.”
“And that is?”
“CNB can take control of any drug case anytime, anywhere, including Parliament grounds. If they were to arrest her on these charges before we did, it would be out of our hands.”
“So, we make sure we charge her first.”
“We can go there right from here. It’s a fifteen-minute walk.”
“Then, let’s do so,” said Frost, reaching to finish his second pint of bitters.

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Wednesday 2:00 PM
The clerk droned his call to the bar. “Oyez, Oyez. The adjourned appeal of the defendant, Barbara Ann Moore, from a sentence of death, before this Appeal Court of the Supreme Court of The Republic of Singapore, is now reconvened.

“Mr. Hodges.” The head justice addressed Jeffrey. “The court has taken the time to review the citations you quoted yesterday. I can also say that most of us (he gave a quick look to Justice binti Razak) have reviewed your entire brief. Your arguments there are also well documented and backed by what is, inarguably, excellent research. However, we find no reason to reconsider the objections that were dismissed yesterday. The clear matters of law and deference to the trial court still prevail.
Nevertheless, your brief and citations do raise questions worth considering by this court on your remaining points of appeal. We will reopen oral arguments on the cases you cited. Mr. Deputy Attorney General, you may go first.”

Lee Leng had reviewed the brief and had his arguments well marshaled. He pointed out that the cases were on minor matters and had not been cited by other judges to give them meaningful weight.

When it came Jeffrey’s turn to present, he wasn’t as polished at Leng. Still, he argued passionately that the cases cited showed that judges in Singapore had indeed questioned the inherent fairness of surprise drug agent witnesses and point out the fundamental contradiction of this practice with the rights guaranteed in the Constitution.

Throughout the presentations and afterward, the justices interrupted with their questions on the subject. Jeffrey was gratified that four of them seemed open to his line of argument. Not, however, Justice Amina binti Razak, the sole female judge. She asked one question of Lee that was coldly dismissive of Hodges’ case. After that, she said nothing more.

Raffles Hospital, C Wing, Singapore, Wednesday, 2:15 PM
Frost and bin Ibrahim walked slowly north from the pub toward the hospital. Even for Singapore, the afternoon was oppressively hot and humid. Any hike at midday in the stifling heat and humidity in direct sunlight was not a rapid affair.
After about fifteen minutes, they passed through the main entrance to Raffles Hospital. The air conditioning hit them like an arctic chill, extremely welcome. Still damp with sweat, they board the elevation to the “C” wing. Emerging on the top floor, they turned right down the hospital hall. Now moved more quickly in the pleasantly air-conditioned space. They were anxious to wrap-up whatever was to be done with the young American girl. While they walked, they discussed how they would interrogate her again. They agreed, reluctantly, that they would need to be tough to break her down to get the answers they needed.

As the two Detectives turned the corner to the hall with Amanda’s room, they stopped short.

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Wednesday 2:45 PM
After a surprisingly long and respectful session, the justices’ questions petered out, and the Head Judge took over again.
“Thank you, counsels, for your well thought out and reasoned arguments. We have all we need here. While we usually may take many days in our careful consideration of a death penalty case, we are mindful of the short timetable here. Miss Moore’s execution is scheduled for just nine days from now. And, unfortunately, this hearing concludes a day later than is customary. Therefore, we have already agreed to endeavor to reach a decision as expeditiously as possible, preferably before the weekend. When we reach our judgment, it will be communicated by special messenger delivery to the interested parties. Based on custom, those are the following:
The Commandant of Changi Prison
Prosecuting Counsel from the Attorney Generals’ Chambers
Defense Attorney, at the Embassy of the United States of America
The Justices of the Original Trial Court
The First Minister of Home Affairs
And the office of The President of the Republic.”

“The Appeal Court hearing on the case of Barbara Ann Moore is concluded.” He banged his gavel, and the justices rose to leave.

Hodges rose as required as the judges filed out. He then slumped back in his chair, completely drained. Jeffrey had done all he could for Barbara. He prayed it was enough.

Barb still has a chance,however slim,but now Amanda appears to be at serious risk.
Too many possibilities for speculation, and @Praefectus Praetorio would hate me to get it correct!
The trouble I have here is that old geezers like @twonines and @old slave are bored in isolation and have nothing to do but read ahead! :mad:
Be careful lest I strap some senior Britons to the caning stand! :devil:

And what does that mean???

Another oh shit moment?

I need to go to the Appeal Court. No. No problem, I know my judges. Barbara Moore will die!

Same reaction as above!

Lima Puluh Lima

The Adjournment Pub, Off Parliament Square, Wednesday 1:45 PM
The two detectives were finishing their lunch at The Adjournment Pub.

“So what more can we do to make a connection with Rogers and whoever directed him?” asked Musa.
“We? Is this part of your case anymore?” asked Frost
“Just say that I hate loose ends,” said the younger man.
“My thought is first to establish lies by Jimmy in court. Missing files might not support his testimony, but they don’t disprove it either. If we can prove some falsehoods, we might get somewhere.”
“And we do that, how?”
“Jimmy said they searched Moore’s things at her hotel. Let’s see what the hotel remembers,” suggested Frost
“Nice idea. This afternoon?”
“Why not.”

Cell 22 Death Row, Changi Prison, Wednesday 1:46 PM
Barbara struggled the rest of the morning and through lunch, trying to get comfortable. The muscles in her neck, back, arms, and legs and especially around her knees ached constantly, no matter what position she tried.
Before she could believe, the guards were back to take her to the exercise room. Crawling on all fours was torture. She got no sympathy, only truncheon blows for slowness.

Office of Presiding Judge of the State Courts, Wednesday, 1:55 PM
Rut Betar Gisber on phone:

“Yes, I have concerns…I also would like to see it go smoother…That was a definite shortcoming…People make mistakes, but, at this level, they should be rare and not as dangerous as this…You are correct…I agree completely…It will be settled in the next several days, by one means or another…Indeed anyone is expendable! My plans are already in motion.

The Adjournment Pub, Off Parliament Square, Wednesday 1:59 PM
“And that other matter isn't fun,” sighed Frost.
“Miss Jones’s drug possession? That is a problem, all right. On the one hand, sympathy for the horror she went through and suspicion of two dirty CNB agents framing her, argues that she should be presumed innocent.”
“My first instinct, most definitely,” nodded Frost with a frown. “But…” he trailed off.
“,,,but for two, no, for three items urging her guilt. First, Jiang, even under repeated ‘intense’ questioning, denied planting the drugs. You watched him. Do you think he was lying to protect a minor drug bust?”
“He wasn’t lying.”
“Second, when we questioned Miss Jones, we both sensed she wasn’t truthful when she denied they were hers.”
“We both independently came to that conclusion. Two pieces of strong evidence against Miss Jones. But even together, are they enough to convict someone?”
“They are certainly enough to cast doubt on her denial and her implicit claim that she was framed. Then we come to the third matter – solid forensic evidence. The cocaine bag in her purse had her fingerprints on it.”
“Undeniable, but maybe she touched it by mistake during the search.” Frost was losing hope, but played his role as a defense advocate.
“We know Jiang’s ‘standard drop bag’ of drugs, the one-ounce bag that CNB agents often carry, was still in his coat pocket when he was arrested. I’ve never heard of an agent carrying two bags, especially a two-ouncer.”
“So, the second bag is a potentially damning piece of evidence.”
“Especially with Miss Jones’s fingerprints on it.”
“Perhaps she touched it when Jiang produced it from her purse.”
“However, the unedited video shows she never touched it during the search. After the search, they cuffed her and began to strip and then rape her, she had no chance to touch it then.”
“Therefore, the only remaining conclusion is that her fingerprints came to be on it from before the search.”
“Yes. Plus, the bag contained a lower quality cocaine, mixed with amphetamines, as you’d expect an amateur would have. I must tell you, Inspector, any person with this amount of evidence against them, including the video, would be charged and convicted in an instant in Singapore. And most likely sentenced to hang.”
“I know,” said Frost in a very soft voice. There was a long silence.
“Here’s what I propose,” said the young detective. “We interview her again. This afternoon, before she leaves the hospital. See if we can get any more out of her. Possible something to exonerate her, though I doubt it."
"As do I," signed Frost.
"If it was her drugs, maybe we can find a way to enter a lesser charge. I’m sure I can get the Parliamentary Court to be merciful given her ordeal on our grounds.”
“Sounds like a plan.”
“However, I have to warn you. There is a major risk here.”
“And that is?”
“CNB can take control of any drug case anytime, anywhere, including Parliament grounds. If they were to arrest her on these charges before we did, it would be out of our hands.”
“So, we make sure we charge her first.”
“We can go there right from here. It’s a fifteen-minute walk.”
“Then, let’s do so,” said Frost, reaching to finish his second pint of bitters.

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Wednesday 2:00 PM
The clerk droned his call to the bar. “Oyez, Oyez. The adjourned appeal of the defendant, Barbara Ann Moore, from a sentence of death, before this Appeal Court of the Supreme Court of The Republic of Singapore, is now reconvened.

“Mr. Hodges.” The head justice addressed Jeffrey. “The court has taken the time to review the citations you quoted yesterday. I can also say that most of us (he gave a quick look to Justice binti Razak) have reviewed your entire brief. Your arguments there are also well documented and backed by what is, inarguably, excellent research. However, we find no reason to reconsider the objections that were dismissed yesterday. The clear matters of law and deference to the trial court still prevail.
Nevertheless, your brief and citations do raise questions worth considering by this court on your remaining points of appeal. We will reopen oral arguments on the cases you cited. Mr. Deputy Attorney General, you may go first.”

Lee Leng had reviewed the brief and had his arguments well marshaled. He pointed out that the cases were on minor matters and had not been cited by other judges to give them meaningful weight.

When it came Jeffrey’s turn to present, he wasn’t as polished at Leng. Still, he argued passionately that the cases cited showed that judges in Singapore had indeed questioned the inherent fairness of surprise drug agent witnesses and point out the fundamental contradiction of this practice with the rights guaranteed in the Constitution.

Throughout the presentations and afterward, the justices interrupted with their questions on the subject. Jeffrey was gratified that four of them seemed open to his line of argument. Not, however, Justice Amina binti Razak, the sole female judge. She asked one question of Lee that was coldly dismissive of Hodges’ case. After that, she said nothing more.

Raffles Hospital, C Wing, Singapore, Wednesday, 2:15 PM
Frost and bin Ibrahim walked slowly north from the pub toward the hospital. Even for Singapore, the afternoon was oppressively hot and humid. Any hike at midday in the stifling heat and humidity in direct sunlight was not a rapid affair.
After about fifteen minutes, they passed through the main entrance to Raffles Hospital. The air conditioning hit them like an arctic chill, extremely welcome. Still damp with sweat, they board the elevation to the “C” wing. Emerging on the top floor, they turned right down the hospital hall. Now moved more quickly in the pleasantly air-conditioned space. They were anxious to wrap-up whatever was to be done with the young American girl. While they walked, they discussed how they would interrogate her again. They agreed, reluctantly, that they would need to be tough to break her down to get the answers they needed.

As the two Detectives turned the corner to the hall with Amanda’s room, they stopped short.

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Wednesday 2:45 PM
After a surprisingly long and respectful session, the justices’ questions petered out, and the Head Judge took over again.
“Thank you, counsels, for your well thought out and reasoned arguments. We have all we need here. While we usually may take many days in our careful consideration of a death penalty case, we are mindful of the short timetable here. Miss Moore’s execution is scheduled for just nine days from now. And, unfortunately, this hearing concludes a day later than is customary. Therefore, we have already agreed to endeavor to reach a decision as expeditiously as possible, preferably before the weekend. When we reach our judgment, it will be communicated by special messenger delivery to the interested parties. Based on custom, those are the following:
The Commandant of Changi Prison
Prosecuting Counsel from the Attorney Generals’ Chambers
Defense Attorney, at the Embassy of the United States of America
The Justices of the Original Trial Court
The First Minister of Home Affairs
And the office of The President of the Republic.”

“The Appeal Court hearing on the case of Barbara Ann Moore is concluded.” He banged his gavel, and the justices rose to leave.

Hodges rose as required as the judges filed out. He then slumped back in his chair, completely drained. Jeffrey had done all he could for Barbara. He prayed it was enough.
So glad to glad to see that Barb retains a look of "anger and defiance, rebellion, and resistance" in amongst the fear, uncertainty, doubt and terror that plagues her every living moment right now ... Barb will get the second caning I am certain, and once she has had that and all it will no doubt entail, will she pray for the final piece? Let us dearly hope not and that Jeffrey has finally produced the goods! Excellent episode!

So glad to glad to see that Barb retains a look of "anger and defiance, rebellion, and resistance" in amongst the fear, uncertainty, doubt and terror that plagues her every living moment right now ... Barb will get the second caning I am certain, and once she has had that and all it will no doubt entail, will she pray for the final piece? Let us dearly hope not and that Jeffrey has finally produced the goods! Excellent episode!
That is her charm, isn't it?

I think you meant Amanda produced the goods,Jeffrey managed to spill the brief over the Courtroom floor!

Back
Top Bottom