Jeeves And The Rummy Affair At Cruxton

Go to CruxDreams.com
:bump:

This seems the right place to tell of a discovery I made by serendipity -

In the south choir aisle of Westminster Abbey is a memorial of white and coloured marble to William Wragg. The inscription reads:

Sacred to the memory of William Wragg Esqr. of South Carolina who when the American Colonies revolted from Great Britain inflexibly maintain’d his loyalty to the person and government of his Sovereign and was therefore compell’d to leave his distrest family and ample fortune. In his passage to England by the way of Amsterdam he was unfortunately shipwreck’d and drowned on the coast of Holland the 3rd day of September 1777. In him strong natural parts and the love of justice and humanity improved by education formed the valuable character of a good man and left those who have survived him to deplore the loss of a most tender husband, affectionate parent, kind master, and warm friend. His surviving afflicted sister in England caused this monument to be erected 1779.

The memorial consists of a mourning woman leaning on a sarcophagus and on the front is a relief of the shipwreck, with the Dutch coast shown in the background. Two small figures are shown clinging to wreckage in the water. One was Wragg’s son William and the other a slave boy (Tom Skene) who rescued him - both survived. Young William died unmarried in 1803. The carved ornaments include dolphins and shells, with the infant Neptune on a sea-lion and the infant Bacchus on a lion. The memorial is signed by the sculptor Richard Hayward.

View attachment 543303 (rather small pic even full-size, you have to buy a postcard to see it better ;) )

His Life

William was born in 1714 in Charleston, son of Samuel and his wife Marie (DuBose). When he was young he and his father were captured by pirates led by Captain Edward Teach (Blackbeard) and imprisoned. In exchange for an expensive chest of medicines the prisoners were set ashore. He was educated at St John's college Oxford. William married Mary Wood and they had two daughters Mary and Judith. His second wife was Henrietta and they had four children William, Henrietta, Elizabeth and Charlotte.

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/our-history/people/william-wragg

Some of you may recall that Samuel Wragg featured in "The Pirettes of Ocracoke". He was a member of the Provincial Council of South Carolina. Recent discoveries by the Smithsonian have shown that he was taken prisoner not by Blackbeard, but by a band of female pirates. He begged that the ransom not be paid and that he be able to remain their captive forever, but the good citizens of Charleston ignored him.;)

Interesting that his son ended up in Westminster Abbey.

As for the demerits, why should Wragg get a pass when the rest of us don't? Didn't they teach you in the Police Academy that we're supposed to enforce the law equally, Moore? I keep wondering how you ever graduated (I can only imagine):devil:.

For those landlubbers among you who haven't read "Pirettes", here it be. Arrr! http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-pirettes-of-ocracoke.5689/

Some of you may recall that Samuel Wragg featured in "The Pirettes of Ocracoke". He was a member of the Provincial Council of South Carolina. Recent discoveries by the Smithsonian have shown that he was taken prisoner not by Blackbeard, but by a band of female pirates. He begged that the ransom not be paid and that he be able to remain their captive forever, but the good citizens of Charleston ignored him.;)

Interesting that his son ended up in Westminster Abbey.

As for the demerits, why should Wragg get a pass when the rest of us don't? Didn't they teach you in the Police Academy that we're supposed to enforce the law equally, Moore? I keep wondering how you ever graduated (I can only imagine):devil:.

For those landlubbers among you who haven't read "Pirettes", here it be. Arrr! http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-pirettes-of-ocracoke.5689/

Shut up and crawl back in your hole Goldman! :mad:

Shut up and crawl back in your hole Goldman! :mad:
I prefer your hole Moore:devil::D:cool:

Are you sure purest white is the right colour for Barb, even when there’s hardly any of it? Or is that going to get me more demerits?

It probably will. :devil:

Me, I'm being good. I WAS trying to go as long without demerits as @Hondoboot2 has to go without.... you know. ;)

In the end I barely managed 24 hours :doh: :(

Back
Top Bottom